• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 6
1.jpg

Okay...
Rolo
is cool now. Saved Lelouch's ass when he needed it. This particular season is doing super well with its cliffhangers because it makes me want to see the next episode at the end of each one. So good. And that quick flash of
Euphie when Nunnally held out her hand
made me :,(

Oh, this stuff is soooooo good. The horribly twisted Slice of Life that is Diamond is Unbreakable rears its head. And it's wonderful thus far. I can't wait for the next episode because something awesome is gonna happen with the ending and if it's what I hope it is executed at, it'll be the sickest stuff yet.

TheRancor

Yamato 2199's music was actually written by the son of the composer of the original Yamato series.

Feels like that makes it all the more personal of a production.

A lot of the music is basically a re-recording and reworking of the old Yamato tracks.

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/746-2/

Interviewer: It seems Director Izubuchi said there was no point in doing it if it didn’t use the music of Mr. Miyagawa.

Miyagawa: To the extent that Yamato‘s music was only made by my father, I think it has become an indispensable part of the work. However, since so much has been done to redesign the picture with such extensive use of CG, it is illogical to use the old tracks, so I decided to re-record all the music father left behind.

Since the score was lost, I rewrote it by ear by listening to commercial CDs. At this stage, I corrected parts that I considered to be performance errors and thought about the sound I wanted. I carried out little trials in the new recording. In the performance and recording of such music, a metronome is essential because of the need to work with computers, but it probably couldn’t be used at the time of the original broadcast.

But he did write new music as well.

Interviewer: You’ve not only revived old tracks, you’ve also written new ones.

Miyagawa: When I got the offer from Director Izubuchi, he wanted me to make about 30 new tracks, such as the Gamilas national anthem and the music used during the picture book scenes in Episode 9, “A Clockwork Prisoner.”
---------------------------------------

Bonus: Kentaro Haneda - NHK Symphony Orchestra - Grand Symphony Yamato

Composer Kentaro Haneda did a symphony in 1984 based on the melodies of Yamato with the man himself at the piano. Very well worth a listen.

It's also done in four movements:

First Movement: Birth
Second Movement: Battle (Scherzo)
Third Movement: Prayer (Adagio)
Fourth Movement: Hope for Tomorrow (Double Concerto)

Liner notes here under Grand Symphony Yamato and further notes in the re-release

Line_HTX

The Kabaneri OST is a lot of fun to listen to, I must say. Much more than both Aldnoah and Titan combined.

Damnit, now I want to get back into practicing piano again...

:T

Mendrox

Re:Zero 08

This episode was cool because right at the start we see Subaru thinking in game logic. The paths he took had clear steps and outcomes, so he traced those back and got a lead. The delivery when he was on
Emilia's lap crying
was pretty damn good.

Also just realized, we are about 1/3 into this show. I'm gonna say that we are going to get another 2 or so episodes until we finish the mansion arc.

If there is one recommendation I can give you is to soak UC4 in. Don't rush it. Trust me, I did not play at a crazy pace or anything, I beat the game in 14hrs or so, but I still wished I had taken longer with the characters before getting to the end.

Surprises me a bit that they haven't finished the arc this episode... Hmm... Fearing the worst for act 3 pacing. :(

Ascheroth

Talking about Re:Zero pacing:

I was curious what the adaption rate is, because this arc does feel really long (although I don't think it dragged so far) and I was wondering if this really is just a single book.
Turns out it isn't, we've just started volume 3 and the adaption is going at a steady 4 episodes/volume (probably a bit more considering how often they skip the OP, ED or both).

Kuma Miko 08

Talk about fucking social anxiety. How the hell does she dance and perform rituals in front of people when she has a mental breakdown just giving out samples in a backwater supermarket? All that Joan of Arc visual imagery made it quite hilarious though.

Mailbox

Talking about Re:Zero pacing:

I was curious what the adaption rate is, because this arc does feel really long (although I don't think it dragged so far) and I was wondering if this really is just a single book.
Turns out it isn't, we've just started volume 3 and the adaption is going at a steady 4 episodes/volume (probably a bit more considering how often they skip the OP, ED or both).

That actually sounds quite well paced to me.

Cornbread78

Oh sweet. Me too. My account should be the same as here:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/PshycoNinja

I shot you a friend request. Please be my MAL friend, lol.

If there is one recommendation I can give you is to soak UC4 in. Don't rush it. Trust me, I did not play at a crazy pace or anything, I beat the game in 14hrs or so, but I still wished I had taken longer with the characters before getting to the end.

I usually only play a few hours a week, but I'll take my time to savor how damn beautiful the game is...

Star Ocean 5 (6/30) & Final Fantasy XV (9/30) will be huge time sinks once they drop..

Oh and Disgaea 5 is my go-to "break" game, but I'll have to give it and Valkyrie equal time..

That actually sounds quite well paced to me.

Seems fine to me too, I can understand the frustration at being in the same loop and how that resets Subaru relationship growth week after week but I can't see how the show could have done otherwise. If you're going to show the corrosive effect of suddenly becoming a stranger to people you care deeply about over and over again you kind of have to go this way. Each of the loops has revealed something new about either the characters or the overall plot while also building up Subaru to smash him down again at the reset so it's not an Endless Eight 'which shirt will change this week' scenario. I think we're probably done with this loop next episode as we haven't had a two episode spanning loop since 1A/1B though.

Re:Zero 08

This episode was cool because right at the start we see Subaru thinking in game logic. The paths he took had clear steps and outcomes, so he traced those back and got a lead. The delivery when he was on
Emilia's lap crying
was pretty damn good.

Also just realized, we are about 1/3 into this show. I'm gonna say that we are going to get another 2 or so episodes until we finish the mansion arc.

Really? I think I was burnt out in the franchise that I was ready for the story to end four hours before it did. So samey.

At least mp is fun though such a grind to get characters I want (ended up buying husbando flynn)

I usually only play a few hours a week, but I'll take my time to savor how damn beautiful the game is...

Star Ocean 5 (6/30) & Final Fantasy XV (9/30) will be huge time sinks once they drop..

Oh and Disgaea 5 is my go-to "break" game, but I'll have to give it and Valkyrie equal time..
That's how I played. Man I was so sad when it ended. The ending is so damn conclusive, it had me choking up remembering playing UC1 as a youngling still back in my home country.

Really? I think I was burnt out in the franchise that I was ready for the story to end four hours before it did. So samey.

At least mp is fun though such a grind to get characters I want (ended up buying husbando flynn)
I am the exact opposite of you in that I didn't even care to touch the MP. I loved the game, but coming from The Division one problem that UC has is in the controls. I think for as much shit as it gets, the controls are something that are a piece of art in that game. UC has some weird shit going on, like I kept pressing a button to go in cover and I'd jump, or shadow boxing instead of reloading my weapon lmfao.

Longer version of Best OP this season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krem4GHmmxg

x5RuXdc.png
So good. But who are we kidding, Kiznaiver is the best everything this season. With 5 episodes left and a trend of each episode getting better each week, this show has not only found a place in my heart and somewhere at the peak of my top 10 of the year, as well as for the next year's to come as an SoL that actually made me care about its character's lives.

Wow. Kiznaiver this week was really good. I honestly never expected something like this to come out of Trigger.
Yup. Again reinforcing my post just above.

I don't think Kiznaiver would be very enjoyable from what I've seen 2 episodes in and knowing that Okada can't write characters that genuinely feel human. I doubt that core issue I have with her will go away even when instructed by a competent director. But, given that the reception has been really rather great I'll check out another episode or two. Am not watching much this season anyways and might as well drop AoTrain soon.

I don't think Kiznaiver would be very enjoyable from what I've seen 2 episodes in and knowing that Okada can't write characters that genuinely feel human. I doubt that core issue I have with her will go away even when instructed by a competent director. But, given that the reception has been really rather great I'll check out another episode or two. Am not watching much this season anyways and might as well drop AoTrain soon.

I can guarantee you that you are going to change your mind in just 1 episode. Episodes 3 and 4 are where this show began showing signs of it being brilliant. Since then it has only gotten better and better.

It's never a good idea to say a writer or director can't do this or that.

Akihiro Hino made Gundam AGE. A Gundam story where (from what I've been told) the main character was essentially Adolf Hitler.

On the other hand, he was also behind the original story for Danball Senki, and we all know how awesome that is!

Hiroyuki imaishi's track record may not also be the cleanest, but that still doesn't change the fact that he made Gurren Lagann, my favorite anime of all time.

Longer version of Best OP this season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krem4GHmmxg

Good stuff. I'm a sucker for this brand of trance.

/edit i guess tanaka-kun has bite-sized anime now? for those of you who are feeling a bit... um... non-motivated

Original twitter anime? lol. I guess that's one way to get me to follow their account, even if it is just Tanaka telling a remote to fall off a table.

----------------

Myriad Colours Phantom World 1

2UNAJtO.png

blurr

Unfortunately that's what began to bother me from episode 4, I felt it made for a less than compelling drama. I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes but because they were primarily composed of light humor which would've been fine for the characters of the show. The main narrative however is heading in an interesting direction.

The movie I just saw on the other hand...

Colorful

I went in blind on this, started off straight away triggering me with existential dread, I was almost ready to stop watching right away but I was nonetheless intrigued by the themes it dabbled or seemed to. What followed was an intense family drama and a story on recuperating from depression and mental wellness. This was probably one of the more realistic portrayal of a family, I really felt all members were on point interms of behaviour and relationship. I could relate to it a lot at least. The protagonist's journey through his transformation was understated and moving. As mentioned I was a bit apprehensive about the premise but it actually addressed that towards the end, genuinely surprising me with a great conclusion.

The message it tried to relay
was that humans aren't just monochromatic but they posess a myriad of colors within them - the colors represent a state of mind, sometimes they like something, sometimes they don't like the same thing but that's "normal" and not exactly a loss of identity. My one qualm with it is that the movie tried to address something but didn't go all the way, the message got through but it felt lacking, there was no understanding of why it is like that for people. I personally believe a dualistic belief in the right direction can be a ledge to hang on to but not as sturdy and reliable as a comprehensive understanding on human nature, the former is susceptible to break down under pressure but considering the nature and tone of the film, it is not exactly off the mark by saying that. Sometimes something that simple is enough.

Unfortunately I really didn't find it to be visually compelling at all. I can't think of a single moment where they stood out for me. I did notice the effort that went in towards the backgrounds but overall it felt a bit lack lustre especially considering the message it tried to relay and the protagonist's penchant for painting.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kiznaiver 7
Just want to say that this episode was great. I like the conclusion to Maki arc, but boy, Lulu and her mother is so hysterical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom