• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Kiznaiver really compares to Hyouka. It's not a quality thing so much as a totally different style of characterization. I think Kiznaiver shares more in common with Ikuhara and Murakami narratives and characterizations. They're weird, they're tropey, but there are layers and subtleties which make them feel more and more real as the story progresses.

I guess I should actually watch Kiznaiver, since this sounds really appealing to me, and there seem to be a lot of people really praising the show.

Theonik

So I might start Kiznaiver, ConRevo, and Re: Zero soon. Anything else I should check out? Will I actually like all of these?

Make a list over here: http://myanimelist.net/
MAL also has news: http://myanimelist.net/news
ANN too: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/

See where shows are streamable here: http://because.moe/?q=current

For the most part, MAL is pretty all-encompassing. They have forums*, top lists, and editorials with recommendations. And there are MAL desktop apps (Taiga) and phone apps (MyAniList).

Also, these two subreddits are alright: Anime and Animesuggest.

*Not that I'd suggest you actually use the MAL forums though when you have here and those two reddits.

Thank you.

well this community is good for asking questions on what you want to watch and discussing anime.

MyAnimeList is a good source for finding anime as it's a database listing all of them, and even very VERY general recommendations after you finish one show and want to watch something else.

Crunchyroll is the best platform to legally watch a lot of anime, both currently airing and older. You can watch a lot of shows without a subscription, but only in SD, HD is for subscriptions only and without a subscription you can't use the apps.

After them then it's funimation as they also fight for currently airing shows and have a backlog. Also subscrirption based.

Lastly it's Daisuki which doesn't require a subscription to watch shit.

And then we have Netflix and Amazon which both have a decent amount of random anime to watch, some quality. They rarely get shows to simulcast as well.

And thank you too.

Kiznaiver's characters are pretty generic, to me what makes it is how they interact. Unlike most anime groups they actually feel like a group of teenagers hanging out. It's not super realistic or anything but they all have different dynamics with each other and bounce off each other really well. That's probably the reason the show's getting better over time: the characters are getting to know each other more.

But isn't this the point of the show: its through these character interactions and their bonds, do we and the characters see whats actually there, past the facade many of them wear.

considering love hina is garbage and Ken akamatsu should be banned from writing anything ever again

probably all of them

UY was a harem 0_0
But I thought Lum was the one.

Mailbox

Date a Live S2 ep.1-2
smbiYM6.png

Oh, we get new spirits right away; a nice set of twins for season 2. The comedy was pretty good, but you can already tell trouble is brewing, plus we never really did see him seal clock girls powers, so.....

Just as an fyi, I really didn't like Season 2 despite really liking season 1

pbayne

Fruits Basket 20

I think this encapsulated everything i like in the show. It was non-stop comedy(Ayame is a treasure, he's so OTT, so charismatic he dominates any scene he's in) most of the time then it suddenly hard cuts to really good character drama and interactions back again to comedy again without missing a beat or feeling like a jarring transition.
Lol when Yuki finally made a move on Tohru i thought "oh yeah this is a romance show" because it literally is almost never focused on.

Flying Witch?

Id second that.

^

Not gonna read any of that yet to not spoil myself but that reminds me, I've watched the first 4 episodes of Fruit Basket and so far it's decent. Wasn't a fan of the yandere girl introduced in the last episode. The MC is reminiscent of School Rumble's Tenma which...is not that much of a good thing. It's just this standard overly nice girl that loves to help out in the household and happens to inspire everyone with her niceness.

The premise with this animal curse is okay. The comedy with it works but the drama angle on this feels a bit flat to me (that they feel like they have to distance themselves from other people). Maybe that's mostly done already. Anyways, I'll see if the next couple episodes feel more compelling, otherwise I'm not sure I'm really all that eager to continue.

Flying Witch is definitely recommendable if you want a deliberately relaxing show.

Cornbread78

Hundred ep.8
All Claire Harvey episode, that didn't disappoint with the trash. I will say that I'm not a big fan of this whole "hunters" subplot. They just need to bow down and cower in fear to the almighty class press, dirty butt cheeks Claire....

Line_HTX

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri 5-6
Didn't enjoy them as much as the first four episodes. I hope that they arrive at their destination before the season ends.

If I'm not mistaken, in the preview for the next episode they finally reached their destination. Honestly, I was happy that they killed the Fake Titan and turned on the afterburners out of that station for good.

pbayne

^

Not gonna read any of that yet to not spoil myself but that reminds me, I've watched the first 4 episodes of Fruit Basket and so far it's decent. Wasn't a fan of the yandere girl introduced in the last episode. The MC is reminiscent of School Rumble's Tenma which...is not that much of a good thing. It's just this standard overly nice girl that loves to help out in the household and happens to inspire everyone with her niceness.

The premise with this animal curse is okay. The comedy with it works but the drama angle on this feels a bit flat to me (that they feel like they have to distance themselves from other people). Maybe that's mostly done already. Anyways, I'll see if the next couple episodes feel more compelling, otherwise I'm not sure I'm really all that eager to continue.

Flying Witch is definitely recommendable if you want a deliberately relaxing show.

Id be with you in that i found the first few episodes a bit weak as well. The animal gimmick is just that...a gimmick. It pretty much disappears fairly quickly. The MC is default shoujo nice girl, not gonna deny that.

I think the show really comes into its own when the rest of the extended Somha clan is introduced and start playing off one another. There's one particular episode that shows how tragic a relationship with a Somha can be that is kind of the first stand-out episode for me.

Id be with you in that i found the first few episodes a bit weak as well. The animal gimmick is just that...a gimmick. It pretty much disappears fairly quickly. The MC is default shoujo nice girl, not gonna deny that.

I think the show really comes into its own when the rest of the extended Somha clan is introduced and start playing off one another. There's one particular episode that shows how tragic a relationship with a Somha can be that is kind of the first stand-out episode for me.

Aight, I'll watch at least until then.

Even if it isn't as good as Barakamon, Flying Witch is a fantastic sol anime. By watching it I'm getting my fill of sol.

It's so freaking relaxing and enjoyable. If you don't want action or drama then Flying Witch is a good show to watch to get some stress off.

It's one of the best shows airing this season.

Samurai Flamenco Ep 1-7

I can't stop laughing, it took me a while to get into this but I think I'm binge watching the rest now.

Wow my relaxed hero SoL just went places! I thought was going to be about naive Hazama teaching Goto about justice or something with it's well written characters and believably pathetic real life consequences. Looking back though they've been cleverly sprinkling more and more incredible elements in from episode to episode with Flamenco Girl as Batman to the impossible gadgets from the stationary supplier. Still the drug raid, mutant gorilla and sudden police officer decapitation completely blindsided me, I still expected the start of Ep8 to be a director shouting 'Cut!' and for it all to be a giant fake out.

Busaiku

Samurai Flamenco Ep 1-7

I can't stop laughing, it took me a while to get into this but I think I'm binge watching the rest now.

Wow my relaxed hero SoL just went places! I thought was going to be about naive Hazama teaching Goto about justice or something with it's well written characters and believably pathetic real life consequences. Looking back though they've been cleverly sprinkling more and more incredible elements in from episode to episode with Flamenco Girl as Batman to the impossible gadgets from the stationary supplier. Still the drug raid, mutant gorilla and sudden police officer decapitation completely blindsided me, I still expected the start of Ep8 to be a director shouting 'Cut!' and for it all to be a giant fake out.
Here we go!

Eumi

But isn't this the point of the show: its through these character interactions and their bonds, do we and the characters see whats actually there, past the facade many of them wear.

Actually that's the shows biggest failing for me. They try to make them seem deeper but it's super boring and generic. The tough guy is scared of dogs, so what?

My favourite is nico though, since the show actually points out how stupidly pointless any depth to her is. Her big thing is that she puts on the eccentric act to keep people away, and isn't genuinely like that, but then the characters themselves point out how this is in itself eccentric so she really isn't doing anything. It's like the illusion of character depth, like you peel away the first layer of her and underneath is an identical layer. It's hilarious.

What's the chance WIT will screw up the OVAs for The Ancient Magus Bride?

It's basically the staff of Hozuki no Reitetsu, which is excellent, so I'm hyped.

Actually that's the shows biggest failing for me. They try to make them seem deeper but it's super boring and generic. The tough guy is scared of dogs, so what?

My favourite is nico though, since the show actually points out how stupidly pointless any depth to her is. Her big thing is that she puts on the eccentric act to keep people away, and isn't genuinely like that, but then the characters themselves point out how this is in itself eccentric so she really isn't doing anything. It's like the illusion of character depth, like you peel away the first layer of her and underneath is an identical layer. It's hilarious.

No, no, no, you've misunderstood. Nico stated that she comes from a rich family and is afraid people will resent her for that, so she has developed her quirky personality as a way of getting people to see her as harmless and cute instead of aloof and elite. She's trying to prevent people from reacting negatively towards her.

pbayne

What's the chance WIT will screw up the OVAs for The Ancient Magus Bride?

Its a toss-up for me. From the PV the visuals look on point. Itll all depend on what story they want to tell. Good prequels are a rare beast, since they usually get too bogged down in trying to connect things with the original story rather than tell their own.

So i guess im cautiously optimistic. But still happy its getting any kind of adaptation at the same time, and it wouldn't be hampered visually by a TV anime schedule.

Cornbread78

Claymore ep.6-8
Wow.. a This Theresa and Clare backstory certainly won't places.. I need a class of water and a cig to chill. That was damn gross. Then that closing scene must have been the inspiration to what we saw at the end of School Days. Yikes...

Sterok

Sailor Moon Crystal 8

In the end, Hotaru is the primary redeeming point of this show. The real reason I continue to watch this. Too bad she's doomed to always be a bit player even when she's one of the more important figures. Though I'm a bit confused as to what she was doing during the Silver Millennium. The Outers reveal their true dark goal, the Inners continue to contribute all of nothing, and Chibi-Usa keeps on making things harder for everyone.

Cornbread78

Cerberus ep.8
Why can't they just go through with it and kill off that damn 300 yr/old loli already, she is grating to my ears and needs to die painfully. I'm still a lso confused what the hell Erina is doing? She just trying to make a quick buck by selling Hiiro out? Ugghh..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom