• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Non Non Biyori Episodes 1-9

This series has already given me diabetes x20

I want to protect Komari-chan.

Ascheroth

Re:Zero #8

839J4Jz.jpg

Someone is going to like this episode.

Very nice follow-up to last week.
I really liked how Subaru acted this episode. Things didn't just work out just because he started to take things into his hands for real now.
Like Puck noticed, he was a complete mess inside and just tried to put on an energetic, smiling, though guy act.
The scene where he just let loose and cried out everything to Emilia was beautiful.

He does have a plan now, and things do seem to go in a better direction, so I wonder what will happen.
Also learned some things about the magic system in the world and the Jealous witch.

Re:Zero 8

It was a good episode, but please let this arc end soon, like in the next episode. His plan seems a bit stupid though, assuming it's to go
to the village and see which people he comes in contact with
. That's begging for another god damn rewind, and at this point I'm dreading those because then that'll add another god damn episode.

Quasar

Mayoiga - 01

If I didn't know better I would have thought this show was being stupid intentionally. Like the bit where the researcher girl and the angry guy are talking and he says he hates girls who put up make up, she retorts with "Never put on make up in my life, but okay" with dark dramatic music playing.

Certainly Nick Creamer from ANN thinks its a highly entertaining deliberate comedy piece. I kind of agree with him most of the time, though theres some elements that seem like they are failed attempts at seriousness that have me doubt its all deliberate.

Part of it might be I'm unfamiliar with anime its mocking. To me it seems like its just mocking Lost, or what I saw of List.

Crocodile

Attack on Trains has some big flaws but I'm of the opinion that it is a generally enjoyable show that is succeeding at what it aims to do. So far, the first batch of Attack on Trains episodes have been better and more consistent that Attack on Titans. Even for all their dumbassery, Ikoma & Mumei >>>> Eren and Mikasa.

Kabaneri is good at what it is - a big dumb bombastic Araki zombie show with muscular girls. I didn't expect anyone to be smart or a particularly good characters because its a zombie show and everyone is a moron in those.

I like it better then Attack on Titan, even the manga fwiw. Attack on Titan has a more "interesting" premise but I don't expect it to actually deliver on any of that. The way I see it is that none of the mysteries in AoT will ever wrap up in a satisfying way. Kabaneri isn't about "but where did the zombies come from and how did they build the stations and why trains" its about "We're on a train and we are going to fuck up some zombies"

Fan artsists really liked the most recent episode :p

(Linking this not because stuff is super risque but to keep thread maximum safe for work and because I have a sense of self awareness :p)

Certainly Nick Creamer from ANN thinks its a highly entertaining deliberate comedy piece. I kind of agree with him most of the time, though theres some elements that seem like they are failed attempts at seriousness that have me doubt its all deliberate.

Part of it might be I'm unfamiliar with anime its mocking. To me it seems like its just mocking Lost, or what I saw of List.

I don't think it's a parody of anything in particular. It's just the latest in Tsutomu Mizushima's line of "Let's laugh at a bunch of idiots suffering" comedies.

kewlmyc

Is Mayoiga as dumb as Another or worse?

Worse. At least we had a decent body count by now in Another. No confirmed deaths so far despite having 30 freaking "I only have one annoying personality trait" characters.

It's entertaining though just to see what happens next.

Taruranto

I don't know, I guess as far OC go, Mayoiga is superior, since Another was mostly cake gifs/shops. Mayoiga provided a lot of variety(Giant silicone monster, two Koharuns), as well the memegirl of the season (Love-pon). I did love them cakes, though.

Also Mayoiga is generally more interesting so watch since 1) Anime original 2) Twist wasn't spoiled early by Mal/4chan/etc.

If they make Speedstar go completely Yandere in the next episodes, it may surpass Another in my eyes, I love some dem Yandere.

uQcfqJj.png

Qurupeke

Barusu was kind of insufferable in this episode, more than usual, but I liked the scene with Emilia. Still, I agree with Woofington, I hoped that the arc would be over a bit sooner, it kind of drags at this point. I mean, the Groundhog effect is basically the show's premise, but it's kind of wearing me down. I hope the one on the previous episode will remain the last one.

The tidbit about Satella was interesting and I wonder how it will play out.

Ascheroth

Barusu was kind of insufferable in this episode, more than usual, but I liked the scene with Emilia. Still, I agree with Woofington, I hoped that the arc would be over a bit sooner, it kind of drags at this point. I mean, the Groundhog effect is basically the show's premise, but it's kind of wearing me down. I hope the one on the previous episode will remain the last one.

That was kinda the point.

Not as intense as the previous episode. But it's enjoyable that the character and group charisma manage to carry these repeats, even if there's the repeats, multiple aspects of these characters are explored which definitely helps things from getting stale because the setting is definitely the one suffering in this arc. The Next episode is very likely to be the end of the Arc. Unless Subaru gets himself killed, which I'm 90% sure isn't going to happen because he's got both of the OP maids with him.

Edit: Also I like that Subaru's encroaching insanity doesn't just go away and manages to manifest itself in according with his mannerisms.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
ReZero was great again. I think we might have 1.5-2 episodes before resolution. It'd feel weird if after a bunch of build up it just ended next episode. I don't mind the angle the show is taking, but would probably have to agree that he can only respawn one more time (if that) before it starts to feel stagnant.

However, still amazing. Can't wait til next week.

Considering the shit he has to go through I can't blame him.

I'm suprised he hasn't turned completely insane yet. Also from what I hear the suffering only gets worse.

pbayne

Experiencing Another entirely through Gifs with no context is amazing. I have a feeling if i ever watched the show id hate it though.

Clannad 9

Sorry Cornbread, i still don't like how this arc concludes. I can see what their going for and it works to a degree...but if you stop and think about whats happening nothing adds up,
unless you just chalk it up too ghosts
?. I liked Fuko a lot more this time round though. And Sunohara finally got do something cool.

Oh man why did they back-pedal Nagisa and Tomoya using each others first names though? That was nice development then it gets taken away:(

First ep of the third case is bad but it starts getting better after. DL-6 stuff starts airing in about 4 hours too.

You weren't kidding about episode 5 being bad.

Ace Attorney 5

Easily the worst episode so far. The Investigation was largely skipped over and the trial itself was rushed even moreso than previous episodes. I've little to say about this episode that's actually positive outside of Oldbag being Oldbag.

I just cant put Re:Zero as amazing episode, it just did the same thing we've seen four times now except with addition weariness.

I hope the the solution will be really basic like the other series that have done time loops traps before. I love it when its like that.

Mailbox

Re:ZERO episode 8: I Cried, Cried My Lungs Out, and Stopped Crying

Still really good. From how Subaru acts, to *that* scene, and even the title of the episode (Seriously love the title for this episode. Such a good parallel to Subaru's mentality here) serve as a reminder that despite this episode being much more chill than the previous 2, its still quite a grim situation for Subaru. His plan is a bit blunt, but it works with his mentality and personality.

That said, I do hope this arc ends soon, I don't want them to drag it on and they are dangerously close to having that happen.

Good Episode.

Ace Attorney 6

Well it was an improvement over episode 5 but I don't think I'd call it good.
They didn't exactly give Gumshoe his proper badass moment to save Phoenix and Maya for starters.

Also get the feeling they're going to significantly change what had transpired when the murder occurred and I feel like they're going to fuck it up.

Wanderer5

Well now that my graduation and party have pass.

Flying Witch #7

Some pretty shots while they were gathering herbs. The ghost later on was pretty cute and it was funny when she realized that she was visible.XD Through that could probably get Makoto cursed or such from ghosts who would do that if you upset or piss them off lol.

Kiznaiver #7

Lol some almost yuri action. That was pretty sad of what happen with Maki and Ruru, and it really nice to see Maki finally coming around. Some great shots in the rain too heh.

Garo: Crimson Moon 1

Since Hellwarden never posted his manifesto against this, I can only conclude he was lying and as such have started it myself.

I wrote it up.

But then I looked at what I wrote. I read it. I realized the time spent reading it would, even for people who haven't watched Crimson Moon, be giving too much time to Crimson Moon.

Also, don't do this Narag. You deserve to be happy.

We all deserve to be happy.

I wrote it up.

But then I looked at what I wrote. I read it. I realized the time spent reading it would, even for people who haven't watched Crimson Moon, be giving too much time to Crimson Moon.

Narag is a Colt's fan, he deserves nothing but Browns's level misery

I wrote it up.

For every day that you don't post it, another person should start watching Crimson Moon.

Ace Attorney 7

Well I was right about them changing the circumstances regarding the murder.
Apparently instead of pushing Hammer, Vasquez straight up threw him over her head to his death. And she had no help whatsoever, as opposed to having as least several accomplices. The former makes her claims that she can't lift the spear laughable.
Not to mention they left out so much info here.
Not even going to bring up that the guy who died five years ago was her lover are you show?
It just kinda leaves me disappointed.

At this point I don't have much hope for Turnabout Goodbyes. If they screw that up, I'm done with this.

Cornbread78

ReZero ep.8
Subaru was a little too whiney this episode, but it was all for good reason with everything that has happened. It's good to see that he is piecing things together and that Emilia x Subaru chat/breakdown was pretty good stuff. That ending with Rem and Ram (his beautiful flowers) was really good and showe that his hard work gain their trust has paid off.

Narag

Space Battleship Yamato 1
AZd82kBl.png

Not referring to the state of the Earth until the midway point then providing the above visual to tell the viewer everything felt rather inspired, especially given the age of the show.
More of an academic interest given 2199 than any sort of entertainment interest. Mature's been doing Leijiverse stuff on twitter and was unsure about this so figured I'd slowly vet it for him.

Not a lot to say past between this and 2199 feeling like TOS vs TNG if they had the same story & cast but different production sensibilities. I also didn't realize how much the music of 2199 owed to this too.

Space Battleship Yamato 1

More of an academic interest given 2199 than any sort of entertainment interest. Mature's been doing Leijiverse stuff on twitter and was unsure about this so figured I'd slowly vet it for him.

Not a lot to say past between this and 2199 feeling like TOS vs TNG if they had the same story & cast but different production sensibilities. I also didn't realize how much the music of 2199 owed to this too.

Yamato 2199's music was actually written by the son of the composer of the original Yamato series.

Cornbread78

Mushishi ep.5
Excellent story about the swamp girl. The ambiance of the show continues to be excellent and really helps pull the narrative.

Cornbread78

Guilty Crown ep.14-16
Yeah, this is going downhill fast and Shu's personality has become grating. Between that and just how asinine the story has gotten.... I'll finish this at sone point, but this has dropped off a cliff story wise. I mean,
Shu is the "king" and his mom has turned evil along with his dad and they are resurrecting Gai now?
ugghh, wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom