• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two cooking animes next season, Shokugeki S2 and Sweetness and Lightning. As someone who has read both source materials I'm probably looking forward more towards Sweetness. Really an adorable series (with some sad parts) that includes simpler food anyone can really make compared to Shokugeki (though to be fair both manga's do have extras that give pretty decent step by step instructions.).

Mailbox

Yamada is fantastic >:/ also had one of the best OPs of the season lol and isn't even a harem since only 2 chicks dig the main dude :v

The rest though..... Well IS is better than Hundred at least

Yamada is a damn treat! You'd never think that the show adapts basically 90 chapters in the span of 1 cour.

Though I do admit the pacing of the last few episodes does go a tad quicker than I would have wanted :p

Two cooking animes next season, Shokugeki S2 and Sweetness and Lightning. As someone who has read both source materials I'm probably looking forward more towards Sweetness. Really an adorable series (with some sad parts) that includes simpler food anyone can really make compared to Shokugeki (though to be fair both manga's do have extras that give pretty decent step by step instructions.).

I'm a bit worried about Sweetness and Lightning tbh. I love the manga, but half of each chapter acts as basically a glorified recipe guide. Unless they make the back-half of every episode a voiced montage sequence of them making food, I really don't see how it will translate well. Idk.

That said, I'm gonna make a Shokugeki avatar next season and maybe try out a new style instead of this one :p

zulux21

Speaking anime....

I just rolled through my list really quick and noticed, how much harem trash I have watched...

Amaenaide yo!!
Campione!
Date A Live
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun
Grisaia
Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Bride
IS: Infinite Stratos
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
Jitsu wa Watashi wa
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
Love Hina
Mashiro-iro Symphony: The Color of Lovers
Mayo Chiki!
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou
Nisekoi
Ore ga Ojousama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Gets♥Sareta Ken
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai: Under the Innocent Sky
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?
Rosario to Vampire
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata
Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut
School Days
Shinmai Maou no Testament
Shuffle!
Sora no Otoshimono
Strike the Blood
To LOVE-Ru
Trinity Seven
Walkure Romanze
White Album
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Zero no Tsukaima
let's see
no Freezing
no Haganai
no highschoo dxd
no heaven's lost property
no oreimo

you still have a long way to go :p

Yamada is a damn treat! You'd never think that the show adapts basically 90 chapters in the span of 1 cour.

Though I do admit the pacing of the last few episodes does go a tad quicker than I would have wanted :p
Nah it was more like 60 chapters I think, wasn't it? Anyways I was also a bit bummed about the pacing, they should have gone for a 24 episode season because they really could have focused on Yamada
being sad and miserable when everyone forgot about himin the manga you could feel the sadness

Mailbox

let's see
no Freezing
no Haganai
no highschoo dxd
no heaven's lost property

no oreimo

you still have a long way to go :p

I liked those 2 :/
as for Haganai, i retroactively kinda dislike it a bit since I got spoiled over how the LN ends. God is that a bad ending :S

Nah it was more like 60 chapters I think, wasn't it? Anyways I was also a bit bummed about the pacing, they should have gone for a 24 episode season because they really could have focused on Yamada
being sad and miserable when everyone forgot about himin the manga you could feel the sadness

nope, at chapter 60 they are still looking for the 7th witch.

Chapter 90 is when
Yamada finally tells Shiraishi that he likes her and asks her out
which is where the first "Arc" or first main story ends and also where the anime ends (though they change a few details to make it more "final").

For reference, Chapter 86 has
has yamada going to the vice president's house to save Shiraishi who at that point is in the vice president's body.
which happens in the middle of episode 12.

Though I do agree that focusing an episode or 2 on "that" time-frame would have helped a lot. Maybe 15-16 episodes (like the length of" The disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan" was.)

Also: Just remembering 1 more thing I didn't like about the anime though i REALLY hope its fixed in the BD release, because its an easy fix. The sound mixing is a HUGE mess. The music audio is wayyy too high and can often ruin the emotion or tension a scene has. Its probably some of the worst audio mixing i've experienced in an anime.

Can anyone tell me if its been fixed in any BD release?

Actually that's the shows biggest failing for me. They try to make them seem deeper but it's super boring and generic. The tough guy is scared of dogs, so what?

My favourite is nico though, since the show actually points out how stupidly pointless any depth to her is. Her big thing is that she puts on the eccentric act to keep people away, and isn't genuinely like that, but then the characters themselves point out how this is in itself eccentric so she really isn't doing anything. It's like the illusion of character depth, like you peel away the first layer of her and underneath is an identical layer. It's hilarious.

I don't think at all thats the character insight for Tenga. The next episode is about him.

Qurupeke

Samurai Flamenco Ep 1-7

I can't stop laughing, it took me a while to get into this but I think I'm binge watching the rest now.

Wow my relaxed hero SoL just went places! I thought was going to be about naive Hazama teaching Goto about justice or something with it's well written characters and believably pathetic real life consequences. Looking back though they've been cleverly sprinkling more and more incredible elements in from episode to episode with Flamenco Girl as Batman to the impossible gadgets from the stationary supplier. Still the drug raid, mutant gorilla and sudden police officer decapitation completely blindsided me, I still expected the start of Ep8 to be a director shouting 'Cut!' and for it all to be a giant fake out.

Best superhero anime. And yes, binge watch it, that's the only way to maximize the enjoyment.

Samurai Champloo 20-21

Yeah, this lived up to the hype. 14 probably remains my favorite individual episode, but as a multi-episode arc these two episodes are my favorite. The blind woman was a tragic and sympathetic figure, there was some really sensitive visual direction (especially the windmill scene in 21 in which
the assassin realizes her son is already dead and she's been played
), and the action scenes were very well choreographed and animated. This scene at the end of 21, combined with the drum-based music, was incredible.

I'd say the only thing I didn't like was that "Johnny" as a comic relief character seemed out of place.

duckroll

Actually that's the shows biggest failing for me. They try to make them seem deeper but it's super boring and generic. The tough guy is scared of dogs, so what?

My favourite is nico though, since the show actually points out how stupidly pointless any depth to her is. Her big thing is that she puts on the eccentric act to keep people away, and isn't genuinely like that, but then the characters themselves point out how this is in itself eccentric so she really isn't doing anything. It's like the illusion of character depth, like you peel away the first layer of her and underneath is an identical layer. It's hilarious.

What? That seems like such a failure to understand what is being expressed.

Tenga is not defined by his fear of dogs. Tenga's fear of dogs is part of the aspect of his insecurity. This hasn't really been touched on because the show hasn't really had a chance to deal with him as a person yet. But it is merely a part of the introduction to the characters to show that his tough guy personality also comes with aspects which he is ashamed of. That's not really original or unique, but I don't see how it's "super boring" considering it's just something about him.

Nico's eccentricity isn't about pushing people away either. It's also about insecurity but in a different way. She wants to seem weird and quirky so there's something ABOUT her that might be interesting, because to her, she has such a "perfect" life that must be boring and a huge turn off to others. She thinks that might be why she can't make any friends. So she tries to make herself more interesting. Yes, in the end while she pretends to see fairies and stuff, her actual personality turns out to be naturally quirky, it's meant to be ironic. Sometimes we don't see how special we are and try to overcompensate for it.

Nothing in the characterizations in Kiznaiver are "shallow". They don't pretend to be deep or extremely meaningful either. What they try to be is honest. I won't say "real" because the show isn't striving for realism on the same level as a character study drama, but in the fantastical surrealist setting they have chosen to tell this story in, the feelings expressed are extremely honest. That resonates with viewers.

Mailbox

I don't think at all thats the character insight for Tenga. The next episode is about him.

Yeah, I mean the whole dog thing is really just supposed to be a starting point for his character. We are introduced to him as a kind of badass "beater of the bullies" kind of guy, but the dog thing shows us that he puts on airs often and doesn't want to seem pathetic.

Which is where the subtle moments with him and Chidori become very interesting. I'd be quite happy if they go in a direction where he ends up liking Chidori but feels that having those kind of feelings but also being close to both Chidori and Katsuhira or even a "liking someone who like someone else" scenario might make him pathetic, so he hides it. And considering no one has "felt his pain" on the matter, he seems to hide it well.

If this is indeed what they are going for, then (despite it being slightly cliche) it'll be interesting to see what happens when everything is revealed. Considering how well Kiznaiver has done on its execution of cliche ideas into great happenings, i'd definitely like to see his development.

Just speculation on my part, sorry.

Edit:

Duckroll is 100% right here. Honest is a great word to describe how the characters are shown to be to the audience. Maybe even genuine might be a better word.

TUSR

Banned
Im going to put up a poll sometime later this week for Summer's most anticipated shows.

That is, unless BGBW wants to do the Summer OT.

Yeah, I mean the whole dog thing is really just supposed to be a starting point for his character. We are introduced to him as a kind of badass "beater of the bullies" kind of guy, but the dog thing shows us that he puts on airs often and doesn't want to seem pathetic.

Which is where the subtle moments with him and Chidori become very interesting. I'd be quite happy if they go in a direction where he ends up liking Chidori but feels that having those kind of feelings but also being close to both Chidori and Katsuhira or even a "liking someone who like someone else" scenario might make him pathetic, so he hides it. And considering no one has "felt his pain" on the matter, he seems to hide it well.

If this is indeed what they are going for, then (despite it being slightly cliche) it'll be interesting to see what happens when everything is revealed. Considering how well Kiznaiver has done on its execution of cliche ideas into great happenings, i'd definitely like to see his development.

Just speculation on my part, sorry.

Edit:

Duckroll is 100% right here. Honest is a great word to describe how the characters are shown to be to the audience. Maybe even genuine might be a better word.

The episode did hint something to do with love and a couple of episodes ago it was clear Tenga was hiding certain emotions.

duckroll

Your avatar is a dog, so I doubt it.

7BlSnk9.jpg

Im going to put up a poll sometime later this week for Summer's most anticipated shows.

Hm...

Will watch:
Love Live! Sunshine!!
planetarian
Rewrite

Might watch:
Amanchu!
Kono Bijutsu-bu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!
handa-kun
New Game!
orange
Sweetness and Lightning

-

Yea, speaking of Summer season - New Game visual

This is the show about working in a games company.

I know.

Wait... Make that a will watch instead ;P

Did the Samumenco BDs clean up much? Thinking of re-watching.

A poll for which shows will feature below 3rei, presumably.

Mailbox

The episode did hint something to do with love and a couple of episodes ago it was clear Tenga was hiding certain emotions.

That was actually kind of my point :p

Yea, speaking of Summer season - New Game visual

This is the show about working in a games company.

I know.

Unless it's about the horrible conditions of working at konami or an allegory for that, I don't expect this to be good.

Your avatar is a dog, so I doubt it.

Wow, we don't use slurs here.

I love this thread sometimes :3

blurr

Yea, "will watch" but it gives me the impression that it's gonna be the usual cute girls doing cute things. I need a Shirobako level show.

duckroll

Did the Samumenco BDs clean up much? Thinking of re-watching.

They fixed a lot of minor production errors, redid a bunch of backgrounds and some animation, but it doesn't magically transform it into a great looking show with great animation. Mostly improvements to the scene continuity and details which the staff clearly cared about.

Eumi

Since like 3 different people responded about the Kiznaiver character thing I'll just put my general response here since responding on mobile's a bitch.

Honestly my problems with the characters disappear after episode 2, the only reason they seemed to be set up as being deeper than they were is because of the whole 'seven deadly sins' crap. Like, the idea that these characters are normal isn't really what the show tries for in the beginning when it's calling them 'sinners'.

But hey, they dropped that angle pretty damn quickly and the show's better because of it. This isn't a show that benefits from being pretentious.

They fixed a lot of minor production errors, redid a bunch of backgrounds and some animation, but it doesn't magically transform it into a great looking show with great animation. Mostly improvements to the scene continuity and details which the staff clearly cared about.

Thanks. That's good enough for me given that I enjoyed it quite a bit with all the jank.

Mailbox

Since like 3 different people responded about the Kiznaiver character thing I'll just put my general response here since responding on mobile's a bitch.

Honestly my problems with the characters disappear after episode 2, the only reason they seemed to be set up as being deeper than they were is because of the whole 'seven deadly sins' crap. Like, the idea that these characters are normal isn't really what the show tries for in the beginning when it's calling them 'sinners'.

But hey, they dropped that angle pretty damn quickly and the show's better because of it. This isn't a show that benefits from being pretentious.

Actually, they don't. Rather they give a much better explanation for the existence of the whole sinners thing than I expect ie:
Its marketing BS for the people involved in the Kizuna project.
but the titles and statements about them as sinners still provides pretty good initialization of each characters position at the start of the show.

Eumi

Actually, they don't. Rather they give a much better explanation for the existence of the whole sinners thing than I expect ie:
Its marketing BS for the people involved in the Kizuna project.
but the titles and statements about them as sinners still provides pretty good initialization of each characters position at the start of the show.

Eh, it's one of those things where it's unclear whether it's Sonozaki or the show saying it. I always leaned more towards the show saying since it's basically treated as narration the first time, but I do actually like the idea that it's a marketing scheme.

duckroll

I don't think Kiznaiver tries to be pretentious, at least not in an overt way. What -is- clear to me though, is that Sonozaki is extremely pretentious, and much of how the Kizuna Project is communicated to the various characters and/or factions via her, is done so in a pretentious way. I think that tells us something about her, and it's how the presentation communicates these things about the characters which makes me appreciate the show more.

jman2050

I like how the biggest obstacle (so far) to our heroes and the Kizuna Project in general isn't some malevolent force or some unknown villains in the shadows, it's convincing people to pay for all this crazy crap.

Mailbox

I entered a watch bet with a friend.
I watch Black Bullet.
He watches Re:Zero.

Time for Lolis I guess.

I like how the biggest obstacle (so far) to our heroes and the Kizuna Project in general isn't some malevolent force or some unknown villains in the shadows, it's convincing people to pay for all this crazy crap.

Agreed. It keeps the focus on the character while giving us a grounded set-up for the background as well as Sonosaki's current situation. Hopefully no dumb villains later :p

RIP Mailbox. Death by watch bet.

You may want to wait to see this all in action, but there's a dedicated fan who has made an extensive catalog of the many changes that were made in the BD version.

Thanks hosanna. You weren't kidding, every single change. Looked at the first few eps and like duckroll said there are a lot of details they seemed to care about looking right. Even this:

I guess the kid's outfit was too distracting before? lol. There are some great alterations too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well I'm happy to do the OP, since I actually have a plan in place for this one, but please continue with the poll, since that "unless" makes it sound like an either or deal.

Though I should note that with 20 shows in the OP, the amount of wiggle room for text has become extremely limited when you take into account all the links that are in it so a 16 show limit would be preferable in my case, but if needs must I can work around more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom