• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danball Senki 23-24

The final battle between Jin and Ban was everything I was hoping for. So great.

The show plot remains strong with its twists. Dat ending.

Aki-at

Mayoiga - 5/6

Execution, mass hysteria, what a group of paranoid psychos (Well okay only a few of them so far)

That
bee that shots out smaller bees from it's holes, this shit is straight up Dark Souls.
Tour guide guy got wrecked.

notes on the new otaku economy

Book's in Japanese though... the notes make it sound pretty interesting. I like the Otaku generation breakdown.

Mind you the last academic book I read on otaku culture was the Database Animals book and I think that was not a great read.

I agree; that does sound interesting, especially all the indications listed of otaku culture becoming normalized in Japanese society. I was not aware that things have been shifting in that direction.

Aikatsu! Music Awards

This is like a greatest hits compilation of the live performances found in the series. Not much new content but I enjoyed it.

tumblr_o62enra2F61re6nxeo2_540.png

What anime is this and should I watch Golden Boy?

Mailbox

Uugghh, is there at least an ending?

It's mostly because I thought the arcs were weaker, art was worse, fights aren't as interesting, and comedy didn't really click. Maybe it's because I absolutely despised the first arc with the twins. It just felt so pointless tbh.

And to answer your question:
No, sorry. More questions asked than answered. But there is an OVA with Clock girl which is legit good.

Fafner 8

NRnStmE.jpg

The UI in this show is pretty consistently ugly, especially with that color scheme.

While the avoidance of exposition in this show often leads to confusion about what's going on, sometimes I do admire how it leaves things to be inferred instead of explicitly stated. For instance, in the above captured moment, it's never explicitly stated by the dialogue that Mizoguchi is intending to go against the teacher's orders; it's just shown that the countdown timer he sets for Fafnir is 15 minutes longer than what he was ordered to set. That, combined with the way he reacts to the teacher's actions, implicitly tells us his relationship to her and their contrasting mindsets and objectives.

Cornbread78

It's mostly because I thought the arcs were weaker, art was worse, fights aren't as interesting, and comedy didn't really click. Maybe it's because I absolutely despised the first arc with the twins. It just felt so pointless tbh.

And to answer your question:
No, sorry. More questions asked than answered. But there is an OVA with Clock girl which is legit good.

Oh well, I'll take my time then. I only watch these kinds of shows because they are usually laid back and fun. Plus they rarely take themselves seriously.

One day, I'll find an anime that takes you on an adventure that has good character interactions, comedy, action and good character development. Also at the same time, it has a conclusive ending. Something like that has to exist. So far, Fairy Tail has been the closest to hitting that mark, but there are so many episodes and there is no ending yet...

I'm reluctant to watch a video where Hayao Miyazaki is again treated as the One Anime Director, but if you're interested in hearing Dai Sato (Ergo Proxy/Eureka Seven writer) and Justin Leach (Kickheart producer) talk about who they think the best directors in the industry are currently, here you go.

Part of the discussion included what directors could possibly fill the void left by Miyazaki. While Leach admits that Miyazaki may never truly be able to be replaced, eight current directors are worth keeping an eye on. The list includes well established favorites like Mamoru Hosoda (Wolf Children, Summer Wars), Masaaki Yuasa (Ping Pong, Kick-Heart), Makoto Shinkai (5cm per Second, The Garden of Words), and Hideaki Anno (Neon Genesis Evangelion). Up and coming directors are also highlighted, like Shingo Natsume (One-Punch Man, Space Dandy), Hiroyasu Ishida (Taifū no Noruda, Poulette's Chair), and Daizen Komatsuda (BBK/BRNK).

Quasar

I just wish they'd make anime original endings. Like if people really cared about the source material they'd still read that. But fucking end the story so I can move on.

I'd hate that. And people hate filler episodes enough without making up whole endings.

That would just convince me to not watch the anime at all for the most part.

Prince of Stride
I wonder if this show is any good or if I just like every sports anime. Either way I enjoyed it. It was a pleasant surprise if only because the landscape of fake sports is littered with terrible ideas. Super derivative but still has a decent amount of heart.

I'm mostly annoyed its called "prince" of stride instead of "princess." I want season 2 just to see Nana go full emperor's eye on the relationer role

JulianImp

I ended up watching the latest episodes of Re:Zero and Big Order yesterday. R:Z was still great, but Big Order has been underdelivering on the absurd stuff and focusing on the plain bad stuff. Like, what in the world is up with all those cliffhanger endings? So dimension sword guy slashed at the girl HOSHIMIYA EIJI was after, but not before Iyo got naked, she and HOSHIMIYA EIJI did some Evangelion-level synchro stuff to play a ball-catching minigame, and then they fused their orders to beat some guy because HOSHIMIYA EIJI's stand order, with the power to control anything, apparently can't control water.

Also, WTF was up with Daisy being some kind of Nagato neutral entity thing? This show's just stupid, and sadly not in the so-bad-it's-good way.

alg0MG6.gif

Here is Greenwood, and yes.

Even though I don't know a single thing about that show, I'd like to think that guy all the way on the left is Kogoro Mouri.

Mailbox

Oh well, I'll take my time then. I only watch these kinds of shows because they are usually laid back and fun. Plus they rarely take themselves seriously.

One day, I'll find an anime that takes you on an adventure that has good character interactions, comedy, action and good character development. Also at the same time, it has a conclusive ending. Something like that has to exist. So far, Fairy Tail has been the closest to hitting that mark, but there are so many episodes and there is no ending yet...

Don't Hunter x Hunter(2011) (I know the manga still is ongoing, but the anime does end with a rather concise finale)and either of the fullmetal alchemist anime do this though?

Cornbread78

Don't Hunter x Hunter(2011) (I know the manga still is ongoing, but the anime does end with a rather concise finale)and either of the fullmetal alchemist anime do this though?

No idea, good question.

One of these days I wanna see Cornbread watch Gintama.

It's seriously the ultimate comedy anime can offer with great character interactions.

It's almost 300 episodes though, lol.

Cerberus 8
ffs at the ending

Don't worry, unfortunately, your 300 yr/old loli mofo is safe. ..

jman2050

Hundred 8

You know what I realized watching this episode? There's absolutely no reason whatsoever for this show to be set in an academy. After the first two episodes where not-Cecilia is dueled to keep Emile and co from being expelled, MC whatshisname and Emile are recruited into a special task force (run and operated by... the student council? I guess?) and the entire show up to this point has been MC and the girls doing field missions and killing aliens. I don't think there's been a single shot of the school outside of the first two episodes unless you count the dorms. They might as well have just ditched the academy thing entirely and just skipped straight to "Slayer with hidden Variant powers joins special task force" and went from there.

Oh and there's another accidental fall on a naked girl and another boob grab, because aping To Love Ru's running gags is a sure way to keep your readers on their toes.

Cornbread78

For now! If she gets offed i swear to god i'll drop the show unless she has a good twin sister named Sharushari

Between her and these "hunters" in Hundred, I don't know which evil beings are worse..

Hundred 8
Oh and there's another accidental fall on a naked girl and another boob grab, because aping To Love Ru's running gags is a sure way to keep your readers on their toes.

"You saw my boobs didn't you?" "I'll make you take responsibility for this later!"

Oh, poor Hayato...

Hey, at least the dirty butt cheeks were original..

jman2050

dang no wonder duckroll said today's ep was good

Actually there was exactly one moment in this episode I enjoyed, and it's when
not-Cecilia, the battle hardened Slayer so strong that she could annihilate Variants in a straight-up battle, is very nearly killed via gruesome impalement by alien monster because she slipped on a small puddle of water. I'm not exaggerating, this is literally what happened.

Naturally the MC has to save her making her even more smitten with him.

That got a pretty big laugh from me.

Tuck

Kiznaiver - 7

Maki's story has been handled very impressively. Seriously a highlight of the show so far.

The writing remains a bit heavy handed at times, but there is some real depth here, and many of the scenes continue to have a lot left unsaid, which is far more powerful than endless exposition.

Man Konosuba season 2 needs to hurry up, I just got like 7 light novels cause I need more.

Also damn, I want that Aqua nendoroid but $40, I think it'll awaken something in me that I can't afford :'v

Edit: holy shit, the regular Aqua is $136, eff that

zulux21

I just wish they'd make anime original endings. Like if people really cared about the source material they'd still read that. But fucking end the story so I can move on.

there is a site dedicated to making original endings to anime.

fanfiction.net

:3

but in an actual response, it's a mixed bag.
if they are sure they are never going to adapt anything more, sure bring on the original ending, but if they think they might, then nah, avoid it. There are very few shows that get original endings that ever get another season even if a lot more content comes out for it.

jman2050

Kiznaiver 1-7

This is good stuff. A well-paced character drama using an interesting sci-fi premise as its backdrop without being overly melodramatic and in which each character is receiving slow but clear development that, thus far, has paid off beautifully. It's like if Anohana had actually stayed good after its fantastic first episode.

Hundred 3

mbWK1cn.jpg

I'm half-expecting him to be her first in the sack at this point.

Damn it, he figured it out. I wanted to see how far this show could go trying to justify him not knowing Emile's true gender.

Also this episode was stupid as fuck! 3 instances of the MC groping someone's boob (two with our Female lead), 2 separate moments of the 2 leads making out with the camera zooming up close for a saliva shot and 1 bullshit explanation for why they have to kiss each other.

And the ending with the MC and president, my god I don't think I laughed so hard at something so absurd and out of fucking nowhere.

Ohh boy, I can now see why this has people's attention. This is gonna be gooooood.

Clov

Three episodes into Black Butler: Book of Circus, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I like the more focused direction the story is taking compared to the first season, and I'm finding it funnier too; laughed a lot at
Sebastian with the flamethrower, and Sebastian throwing rocks at Ciel when he was on the tightrope.
It's surprisingly a lot of fun, and it's looking like it'll be a nice, quick watch.

Line_HTX

Speaking anime....

I just rolled through my list really quick and noticed, how much harem trash I have watched...

Amaenaide yo!!
Campione!
Date A Live
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun
Grisaia
Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Bride
IS: Infinite Stratos
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
Jitsu wa Watashi wa
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai
Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara
Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
Love Hina
Mashiro-iro Symphony: The Color of Lovers
Mayo Chiki!
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou
Nisekoi
Ore ga Ojousama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Gets♥Sareta Ken
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai: Under the Innocent Sky
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha!?
Rosario to Vampire
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata
Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut
School Days
Shinmai Maou no Testament
Shuffle!
Sora no Otoshimono
Strike the Blood
To LOVE-Ru
Trinity Seven
Walkure Romanze
White Album
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Zero no Tsukaima

Damn, that is one giant collection of Piles of poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom