• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Wing was most people's introduction to the franchise in the West, at least at a mainstream level due to it airing in Toonami. I can't remember anything about it aside for the one episode where Heero slaps Relena and tells her that he'll kill her but not before wiping her tears away and throwing her birthday invitation in her face while sweet jazz played in the background.

The soundtrack was alright as were the mech designs tho but I can't compare to the rest of the series due to my unfamiliarity with the franchise.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kiznaiver 08

What god did Chidori spite to keep taking all these L's?

every episode I watch I feel my life force slipping away

Everyone is the worst.

I presume this god had at one point met Chidori which completely explains the hatred of a thousand suns.

Also, still not at what we would consider to be the shitty parts of Gundam Wing!

Joe Molotov

I'm getting back in the physical game, guys.

21pLCoQ.jpg

Got sucked in by that $10 Sentai Deal at Rightstuf, and then I ended up buying a bunch more stuff. Well, it's my Birthday this week, I'm entitled.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
At depressing as it is to say, Gundam Wing is what made the franchise a household name over here in North America.

Kiznaiver - 08

I dunno how to feel about this episode. Everything was going fine until the very ending where Katsuhira runs off to Sonozaki which felt very off to me which I will list as the following points:

- How the fuck did Katsuhira know where Sonozaki was? Yeah I know emotions are connected but that doesn't make me buy that everyone has an emotional GPS tracker in them.
- The statue falling... come on.
- Chidori already confessed to Katsuhira (and everyone) that she liked him, what was she trying to do there, re-confess?

Background and music were on point though, felt wasted on the abrupt ending unfortunately.

Kiznaiver - 08

I dunno how to feel about this episode. Everything was going fine until the very ending where Katsuhira runs off to Sonozaki which felt very off to me which I will list as the following points:

- How the fuck did Katsuhira know where Sonozaki was? Yeah I know emotions are connected but that doesn't make me buy that everyone has an emotional GPS tracker in them.
- Chidori already confessed to Katsuhira (and everyone) that she liked him, what was she trying to do there, re-confess?

Background and music were on point though, felt wasted on the abrupt ending unfortunately.

Yeah past tense. As in she liked him when they were young. Obviously it would mean now too, but Kazuhira is dense.

Eumi

Kiznaiver - 08

They have got an emotional GPS, remember Chidori in the shack with the bully? That's how they found her. Plus Chidori only confessed that she used to like him. She's just been pretending she doesn't still because reasons? I dunno, Chidori's the worst, who knows what goes through her head.

As for the statue, I think it was a setup? They've pulled off way more convoluted shit before.

They have got an emotional GPS, remember Chidori in the shack with the bully? That's how they found her. Plus Chidori only confessed that she used to like him. She's just been pretending she doesn't still because reasons? I dunno, Chidori's the worst, who knows what goes through her head.

As for the statue, I think it was a setup? They've pulled off way more convoluted shit before.

Yeah after recalling both instances of finding Chidori in the shack and tracking down Sonozaki I realize that they do have the emotional GPS. This episode's ending, however, still felt very abrupt and forced with the statue falling (as lighting strikes) being the cherry on top. Also said instances of "emotional GPS" was due to a person experiencing an intense emotion, was Sonozaki faking said emotion or really good at hiding it? Still calls into question how Katsuhira actually found her.

Just T

Flying Witch: 8

That was a really nice episode but when you think about it these customers trying to eat while you chasing them around and shit, be courteous lol.

Akane a trip too haha.

3 episodes in and Paranoia Agent is pretty A+ so far. I'm loving the atmosphere, execution and the rather creepy character designs/faces, but why is the OP so disturbing, raa-eee-yaaa. This is a really nice change to the shows I usually watch.

Sterok

Girls und Panzer der Film

I don't think tanks work that way. I don't think ferris wheels work that way. I don't think roller coasters work that way. But who gives a shit? Wow, that was amazing from start to finish. The characterizations were spot on, building on what came before without just repeating it. The new characters made an already crammed movie even more dense, but they were characterized quite well (except maybe the enemy sub-commander). And of course, the battles were amazing. Tactics, super tanks, crazy strategies, an environment conducive to them, and all around tank fun.

Some specific notes to make.
Darjeeling and Katyusha remain the only ones to have defeated Miho. I am a little annoyed that they repeated the ship closing down plot point, but it made for some good moments anyway, so I'll let it slide. Though that one guy really hated them for some reason. As usual the Americans save the day. Go go Saunders. That moment when the other schools came in was a legit fist pump moment. Katyusha really does inspire awe in her comrades, even the great Nonna. Anzio was even more amazing than they were in their OVA, pulling off the legit craziest maneuvers. I think that roller coaster ride was straining my disbelief a little, but I'll let the coolness slide. I don't know what the musical girls were doing there, but they had a sweet tune, so they're cool. The Nishizumi sisters having their official reconciliation was great, and the two fighting side by side was everything I wanted from them.

Great movie. I'm not surprised it made so much money. I'd definitely want to see it in theaters if I could.

Aki-at

Kiznaiver - 8

Chidori lost the childhood friend battle and her backup is about to be taken by the crazy but not really crazy girl, how MC just legged it during her confession, amazing.

Overall though wasn't too keen of the episode since it's more of a setup than anything else for the bigger fireworks, wonder how they're going to crush and destroy Chidori's heart next episode!

Tuck

aKiznaiver - 8
The writing felt more than a little over-baked, and it was clearly a set-up episode, but I enjoyed it.

Fuckin' lol @ the flowchart.

Poor Chidori
I want her to suffer more. MORE!

High School Fleet Ep. 8

The plot needs to go away, as the more they explain the less I want to hear. The crew are fun and the combat is excellent but the more I hear them try and justify magic mice the less I care about the show. You know what I'll take the 'because reasons' explanation for the Fleet of Fog over this any day and I didn't think I'd ever say that.

Damnit Haifuri, why do you keep doing this to yourself??

Yeah and just when I thought the episode might end on a strong note after the battle sequence too :(

Tanaka-kun is just a well realized show overall, where each piece fits snugly into a cohesive aesthetic whole. That's less common than it should be - even the director's last show, Non Non Biyori, lacked this cohesiveness due mainly to less than ideal character designs.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 8

Couple of things about some side characters. The whole
Villetta being aware of Zero and his plans
seems out of left field. That or I completely forgot about it happening. I don't recall her being in on the whole thing, but even then if she was why did she attempt to thwart the plan towards the end. Didn't make much sense. As for
Nina
, I completely forgot about her. I remember her being crazy for Euphy and just being crazy and having metal breaks in general but I don't remember the flashback that was in the episode. I think I took too long of a break between the first season and R2.

As for everything else that happened, the whole episode I was going "what is Lelouch's play here". What I didn't expect is for it to go all
V for Vendetta
on me. It was a cool scene.

Cornbread78

Kiznaiver ep.8
Poor Chidori, she just got rekt in that episode. I mean, she should expect it as the true childhood friend archetype, but damn, that was rough. Katsuhira was like a hero here, but what was up with
Nori's neck..
.. That tease just wasn't right.... Looks like the breakthrough cones next week now

Been at soccer tournament for my daughter all day, so lots to catch up on now, lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
High School Fleet Ep. 8

The plot needs to go away, as the more they explain the less I want to hear. The crew are fun and the combat is excellent but the more I hear them try and justify magic mice the less I care about the show. You know what I'll take the 'because reasons' explanation for the Fleet of Fog over this any day and I didn't think I'd ever say that.
I don't mind the parasitic underwater rat virus thing actually. As I said before, this show is a combination of Last Resort, which is about a ship going against orders and being declared mutinous, and The Last Ship, which is about a ship trying to find a cure to a virus that is wiping out the world's population. So mashing those two ideas together and having a ship that is on the run but is also responsible for saving the world sounds like an interesting idea. Heck, this was a Babylon 5 story!

For me the problem is just the tonal shifts, going from being on the run to making a TP run... and then today, paying off the whole "we have to work together thing" by showing that the crew trusts their captain, only to end the episode with an ass grab. It's like finding hair on your steak, ruining your experience immediately.

Of course, given GuP, they could have just done the easy thing and shown girls fighting other ships in no-stakes battles for the sake of showing battle scenes. It probably would have worked out better. lol

Narag

Gundam Wing 13 AKA Actually Worse then Char's Counterattack

Nah I give up. Eat shit Narag. This show is god awful and I've wasted enough time on it as is. I'll get nothing out of it by watching the other 3/4ths and it doesn't warrant that kind of investment. I severely dislike every character in the show as they are all one dimensional idiots that prattle on about nonsensical ideologies that are never put into practice. Compound that with the show being a massively unoriginal UC wannabe with nothing redeeming or new to say and you have another Gundam series that you can safely ignore. At least not everybody in UC was an annoying cunt, Wing is like if every character was on Katz level all the time. That this show was the followup to G Gundam makes me sad. The only reason I can think of that people like this show is solely because of nostalgia. I have none for the show and from what I understand it only gets worse.

Fuck. I can sit through bad shows but not ones that actively piss me off. The reason I've been so slow on backlog anime is because everytime I think about watching Gundam Wing I just go and play a game that doesn't suck ass.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back to something that makes perfect sense - Apollo Justice Case 3.

I told you to quit at ep 10!

Jarmel

Banned
-Third season of Garo anime is being worked on. No details yet.

- There will be US distribution (possibly theater I think) of Divine Flame.

- Main theater in Shinjuku ran out of giveaway stuff (implying it's selling well).

-Writer for Divine Flame, Kobayashi, was told by producers to bring German back because he was such a popular character and so she struggled to come up with a good reason. She had a lot of difficulty
killing him off the first time so she wasn't exactly enthused about bringing him back
. In Maruyama's words, "Producers don't give a fuck about things like scripts".

-Since first season took place in Europe, they decided second season should take place in Japan. They thought Heian Period would be good to exploit since Garo is all about negative emotions and there was a lot of material in that era. Chief writer (probably Aikawa but they didn't mention him by name) mentioned that without class warfare it wouldn't be Heian Japan.

-[To Murai-san] What information where you provided with as you came in for a select number of episodes?

Kobayashi decided the baseline of what each episode should be about but there was a bit of freedom due to the episodic nature of the show. For Garo series, he had an idea what he wanted to do, presented to the staff and they approved it such as the orphanage. Of course the series has climaxes so he can't do whatever he wants as the series composition has an idea about where the climaxes will be. When working on longer series, there is a bit of a hivemind though.

-Production for Divine Flame not that long, under a year, and budget not that high. Maruyama chalks a lot of Divine Flame's improvements to Hayashi's development and experience compared to the TV series. Kubo later said they weren't paid overtime but they did some anyway. He also credits skill of staff for quality. Production team was the same.

-Difference between anime/live action: One example being the time limit with the suits of armor, 99 seconds in the live action, and if they wanted to do that, they would need to put a clock on screen and that requires extra time/effort so things like that got nixed. No guidelines from live action series but they did take some stuff to Kubo and he might approve something.

-Hayashi is a big fan of Keiichi Okabe's work. At first Okabe declined as he was busy but they showed some work and concepts to him and he later accepted. For the film, Hayashi gave Okabe a long menu of stuff he wanted for the music. Fortunately most of the animation was done so Okabe looked at the footage and worked from there.

-Park and Hayashi competed with each other about who would storyboard more of the film. They would chicken race about who would do more (I have no clue what a chicken race is). From the beginning it was decided both would be storyboarding. They would joke( possibly serious?) that whoever storyboarded a scene meant they had to draw it. It looked insane from the outside but Kubo felt that seriousness and intensity carried over to the rest of the staff.

-Big fans of Slaugherhouse V so aimed for that style with Kon's films. Was hard at times to convey that to the animation teams.

Someone always asks about Shirobako.
Mentioned there was a rumor about a film going around so Maruyama might VA in that

Still not as weird as real life.

S0XN99l.jpg

Hey I've seen these doujins before

I hope you're ready for bubble as a weapon and WHEELS IN SPACE!

Sounds better then Wing.

Wing is still best gundam regardless of what our gundam King, Metroid, says!!

AGE IS GOOD TOO STOP LAUGHING

Gundam King??? I haven't watched 0083, F91, Victory, Turn A, any of SEED, 00, IGLOO, AGE, X, Origin (gonna read the manga at some point) and I never finished Unicorn. I'm pretty much a fresh off the boat normie who only watched the UC trilogy and movie, G, all the Wing I could stomach, some UC OVA and the latest series after AGE.

Before I dive into another Gundam I'll probably give a Macross series an actual shot. I don't like Delta but I feel like I'm missing something. Or maybe Macross fans are just like Gundam fans and like bad things. I'll watch the one where the dude eats a leaf.

- There will be US distribution (possibly theater I think) of Divine Flame.

- Main theater in Shinjuku ran out of giveaway stuff (implying it's selling well).

This is all excellent news.

Thanks for posting this.

Tuck

Words and stuff

Third Garo season eh?

That could be a very good thing... or a completely meh thing. Depends on whether the writers for season1 are doing it, or if we get another shit show like season 2.

Speaking of which... I'm excited for that movie. Hope it turns out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom