• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Kiznaiver - Episode 8

So... while we're debating the likely failure of Chidori as a "childhood friend", wouldn't Sonozaki be... even more fitting of that title? Is she even more doomed?

Where is the next episode? I need it now. :(

Chidori knew him before he changed so she's the primordial childhood friend. And thus destined to lose.

But Sonozaki won way too soon. Which is why she'll lose in the end and get a "finding herself" resolution as a consolation prize.

Qurupeke

That is true. I wasn't here in 2012, but I was more talking about AOTY as a whole. I realize that people on this thread love Kabaneri, but I don't see too much buzz around it outside of a few places.
It seems that the general consensus is that it's a better AOT and that show was certainly very popular, and that's the main reason people watch it. Yeah, Kabaneri's not near MHA's popularity here, but that's mostly because of the manga people. I don't know, maybe it won't rank, but it's definitely popular and it will appear on many lists. If we had a poll for the spring shows on the off-topic side, I'm sure it would rank on the top 3.
Chidori will end up with Masochistic guy, or die. I can only see these two outcomes now.
Stop.This.Madness.

JulianImp

Are there any good anime horror movies? Every list I've seen has Another at the top, or near the top, and I thought that was awful.

Another? What?

As far as anime series go, I'd recommend Paranoia Agent and Higurashi no naku koro ni. Both would probably count as mostly psychological thrillers, only Higurashi starts as a seemingly generic countryside SoL show before going to town with death and paranoia.

I'd even recommend the unfinished and plot hole-ridden mess that was Umineko no naku koro ni's anime adaptation over Another. The latter's just dumb horror, and has little appeal besides being a Final Destination clone after the first couple episodes.

It seems that the general consensus is that it's a better AOT and that show was certainly very popular, and that's the main reason people watch it. Yeah, Kabaneri's not near MHA's popularity here, but that's mostly because of the manga people. I don't know, maybe it won't rank, but it's definitely popular and it will appear on many lists. If we had a poll for the spring shows on the off-topic side, I'm sure it would rank on the top 3.

Stop.This.Madness.

Hmm maybe, yes. I like the show quite a bit so I hope it does place high up!

So far the loved shows this season are Kabaneri, Re Zero, Kiznaiver, Jojo (definitely a given), and MHA.

If I had to judge by popularity wise I would of initially said Kabaneri/MHA, but then Re Zero blew up especially if you look at Reddit.

I get a sense that people crave suffering for some reason.

Edit: I really love Flying Witch but I feel like not many do.

Kizanaiver 8

Honestly felt this episode was weaker than previous ones. Didn't feel like anything really happened other than confirming things we kind of already could work out. Looks like episode 9 is going to be the real deal.

This is not your average, everyday shipping.

This is... ADVANCED shipping.

Also is Katsuhira actually becoming interesting? It's... it's almost like he has a character now.

God I hope this show sticks the landing. It's kinda perfect right now, it can't afford to end up shit.

lmao

Kiznaiver - Episode 8

The writing here was fucking on point. It's so meta it hurts. Not only do they go out of their way to highlight the fact that weather is often used as a backdrop in fiction to intensify moods and heighten emotions, but they then proceed to express the same shipping theories the audience is expected to have been doing either consciously or subconsciously up to now.

I felt on a whole the episode was a step down from the last few episodes, but intentionally so, since it's setting stuff up again, rather than directly riding the momentum like before. It doesn't take long to set up though, and once it gets moving there were some really well composed shots towards the end. I love the layouts on this show.

So... while we're debating the likely failure of Chidori as a "childhood friend", wouldn't Sonozaki be... even more fitting of that title? Is she even more doomed?

Where is the next episode? I need it now. :(

I think even Chidori herself knows. She hesitated in the booth scene when choosing the heart icon and just dropped it.

jman2050

Kiznaiver 8

I love how they had a literal flowchart showing character relationships, it fits right in with the idea of this whole ordeal being an "experiment" where objective observations are made and circumstances manipulated to test the results, except that these are real people involved.

Chidori is obviously doomed, I'm way more interested in how all the other one-sided crushes resolve and how this manifests in their pain/emotional bonds.

Ahhh yes TK from Ling Tosite Sigure is performing the OP and ELISA will perform the Ending for 91 Days that is airing in Summer.

I'm hyped especially for the former.

T-Rex.

Banned
Another? What?

As far as anime series go, I'd recommend Paranoia Agent and Higurashi no naku koro ni. Both would probably count as mostly psychological thrillers, only Higurashi starts as a seemingly generic countryside SoL show before going to town with death and paranoia.

I'd even recommend the unfinished and plot hole-ridden mess that was Umineko no naku koro ni's anime adaptation over Another. The latter's just dumb horror, and has little appeal besides being a Final Destination clone after the first couple episodes.
Right? Compared to people in this thread I have a fairly high tolerance for bad anime cos as long as I find it enjoyable or like the characters I can overlook bad writing or poor animation but Another was just awful. Dropped it after 2 episodes.

Not entirely horror but Kara no Kyoukai movies have great music and atmosphere. The latter is why I adore it the most.
Same here. Paradox Spiral is a legitimately great movie but I honestly love them all, they have such a unique atmosphere. The only negative is I haven't found anything else quite like them!

I'm not watching Kabaneri because I'm generally not a fan of zombie apocalypse stories. I don't watch them much, but I've noticed that they generally always end up with endings that range from zombies winning or a few characters surviving with a message about humanity persevering or something along those lines.

I mean, how else could it end? What are they gonna do? Live on an island somewhere? Find a cure? Rebuild society?

Then everyone gets lemonade?

K3JmU4W.png

pbayne

Kiznaiver 8

Its a good thing MC man is a Jedi in disguise and used the force to find Sonozaki. Lol at the relationship chart but i don't think they'll commit to any of them bar maybe one.
I guess they set up that Hisomu is the wild card that''ll do...something antagonistic probably. I mean otherwise he's just kind of "there" atm.
Another alright episode, clearly mostly set-up for next week.

phaze

Kiznaiver 8

Its a good thing MC man is a Jedi in disguise and used the force to find Sonozaki.

I wondered about that but I think it's just the "white" stage of the Kizuna system at work here. Which they sharebetween them ever since the first experiment.(Judging from OP
everybody will get there and eternal happiness or something will ensue !
).

Now, I'm not entirely sure what to feel about that last sequence. The execution was on point as always but it felt awfully abrupt and out of nowhere. I guess I can buy it if it was Sonozaki cynically executing what she said she'd do but that silly statue was a bit too much. Oh and Katsuhira running away from Chidori was so comical it kinda defeated the dramatic Sonozaki/Katsuhira reunion/flashback parade for me.

trejo

Are there any good anime horror movies? Every list I've seen has Another at the top, or near the top, and I thought that was awful.

A bit late to comment on this but if you're open to an episodic series I highly recommend checking out Vampire Princess Miyu TV.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I can't say what you'll like, but I'd probably start with Porco Rosso, Only Yesterday and When Marnie Was There.

I tried Only Yesterday. It was alright, felt a bit more like a few episodes of a slice-of-life anime than a film. Particularly I was reminded of Silver Spoon or Barakamon (city person in the country) and Erased (youth parts are better!).

That said, I didn't mind the fact that there was no huge plot (like in Boyhood), but overall it did not feel cohesive enough-- I thought the past segments would have deeper meaning in the present. Perhaps I just missed them.

The music was not as memorable as in the other Ghibli films, either (I listened to a bunch of soundtracks without ever watching the movies).

Overall I thought it was good but not entirely memorable. Not sure it's deserving of a 100% RT, but perhaps that's just how RT works-- I can't imagine many people thinking negatively of this film, but I don't think people will be beamingly positive either.

I'll try From Up on Poppy Hill or When Marnie Was There next.

phaze

When you put it like that, I really appreciate the sentiment because it comes across as if you care and pay attention to the things that I admire in shows ;_; It also makes me feel like an ass for dismissing the show so early.

It obviously sucks having seen a show, knowing that it’s a perfect fit from somebody only for them to go "Nah", but hopefully when I do so people don't take it personally. I'm sure the show is great, I've been led to believe as such by people I trust such as yourself, but truth being told I really didn't like what I watched. Now will I give it another shot? Maybe, but rushing back in is just going to lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy of me hating it all over again because the feelings are still fresh. I'd rather give it a fair shake if I do watch it again, and so I'd like to cleanse myself of any negativity beforehand and not just watching it for the sake of it because everyone says I should.

Not asking for more than that. :p

You are not going to last.

shush you.

Gambatte Metroid !

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kiznaiver Episode 8:

This is what I would imagine what shows would look more like if the people in control were also massive shippers, albeit with less in the way of fistfights.

Sterok

Kiznaiver 8

Love charts make everything better. Very helpful in keeping relationships organized. Hard to tell if Nico is honest with herself about her feelings. Katsuhira's former connection with Nori is probably why he sensed her somehow. And maybe how he found her a couple of episodes ago. Chidori keeps on taking that L.

Haifuri 8

So there really is no evil conspiracy, just a bunch of crazy rats. About time we got another fight. Pretty obvious solution, though the how seems really tight.

Would someone mind explaining clearly what the adaptations of Berserk cover? I read the manga up to wherever it was current back around 2000, and I want a memory refresher for the upcoming season.

So:
old Berserk Anime
Three recent Berserk movies
New Berserk anime

If I watch one of the first two will the third pick up where they leave off?

Narag

Space Battleship Yamato 5
ZSw5D8Zl.jpg
3QXA0FXl.png

Wave Motion Cannon test firing. TV ep 5, 2199 ep 3.

Wave Motion cannon was tested and to great results. 2199 was just on ep 3 during the floating continent stuff that takes place in this ep. Rolling multiple encounters into one was the right decision too.

Narag

Would someone mind explaining clearly what the adaptations of Berserk cover? I read the manga up to wherever it was current back around 2000, and I want a memory refresher for the upcoming season.

So:
old Berserk Anime
Three recent Berserk movies
New Berserk anime

If I watch one of the first two will the third pick up where they leave off?

New anime is the first manga arc that leads into the events the movies & '97 show cover.

javac

Overall I thought it was good but not entirely memorable. Not sure it's deserving of a 100% RT, but perhaps that's just how RT works-- I can't imagine many people thinking negatively of this film, but I don't think people will be beamingly positive either.

I'll try From Up on Poppy Hill or When Marnie Was There next.

It's no secret that my favorite Ghibli film is Only Yesterday around these parts (and if it is unclear, I obviously need to mention it more often!) so it does upset me a tiny bit that you didn't feel as much of a connection with it as I did, but that's fine. I'm glad that you watched it.

I do find it interesting that you mention the soundtrack being unmemorable however because it was a massive strong point for me. From the many tracks reminiscent of eastern european folk music to the use of more traditional orchestral pieces, it's a varied and memorable soundtrack. The ending theme in particular is something that left an huge impression on me and never fails to move me. The lyrics embody the films message beautifully I feel.

I think that the beauty of Only Yesterday comes from how succinct it is, in its message and presentation but also in how uneventful it is. Kind of like taking a deep breath out in the countryside and just soaking in all of the environment, a sense of acceptance washes over you. Acceptance of how you're constantly creating memories and as you do so the world around you constantly changes. It sounds daunting but once accept it, it can become liberating. The film meanders and moves at its own pace, not too concerned with exciting the audience but instead inviting them into this very real and palpable world, allowing them to share the nostalgia for days gone by. In that sense it’s a film everyone can relate to due to the universal nature of the story. I do waffle when it comes to this film but I guess I feel that strongly about it that it's often hard not to.

I think that there's something out there for everybody that resonates with them in the same way this does with me, and I really hope that everybody finds that something because it feels so good.

Kiznaiver 08

What god did Chidori spite to keep taking all these L's?

You are not going to last.

every episode I watch I feel my life force slipping away

As much as I love Wing I cannot deny that Relena is the fucking worst.

Everyone is the worst.

But I guess what confuses me is don't the events of the movies and tv show technically take place earlier? I seem to remember the manga starting out of order.

Black Swordsman Arc (1st ep of TV series) -> Massive Golden Age Flashback (the rest of the TV series, the movies) -> After the BS Arc (new series will cover this and beyond)

javac

Was just listening to the BeastCast and Vinny described G Gundam as "The Eurovision of Gundam" lol, I think he nailed it.

Love the fact that not just the GuP movie is leading the Amazon chart right now but that even all other GuP BDs are in the top 40 right now again.

Panzerdomination.

Yuru Yuri S3 1-12/END
Another season of YY down, and like its previous seasons its still quite the entertaining show. Overall I would put it down as the strongest regular season of YY, and second best YY anime with it slightly behind the Yuru Yuri Nachuyachumi! OVA. Biggest grip was the shit opening and the lack of Akari gags at the start of each episode (yes I know its a new studio making it compared to S1 + S2).

7/10 Good

Gundam Wing 13 AKA Actually Worse then Char's Counterattack

Nah I give up. Eat shit Narag. This show is god awful and I've wasted enough time on it as is. I'll get nothing out of it by watching the other 3/4ths and it doesn't warrant that kind of investment. I severely dislike every character in the show as they are all one dimensional idiots that prattle on about nonsensical ideologies that are never put into practice. Compound that with the show being a massively unoriginal UC wannabe with nothing redeeming or new to say and you have another Gundam series that you can safely ignore. At least not everybody in UC was an annoying cunt, Wing is like if every character was on Katz level all the time. That this show was the followup to G Gundam makes me sad. The only reason I can think of that people like this show is solely because of nostalgia. I have none for the show and from what I understand it only gets worse.

Fuck. I can sit through bad shows but not ones that actively piss me off. The reason I've been so slow on backlog anime is because everytime I think about watching Gundam Wing I just go and play a game that doesn't suck ass.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back to something that makes perfect sense - Apollo Justice Case 3.

Nah I give up. Eat shit Narag. This show is god awful and I've wasted enough time on it as is. I'll get nothing out of it by watching the other 3/4ths and it doesn't warrant that kind of investment. I severely dislike every character in the show as they are all one dimensional idiots that prattle on about nonsensical ideologies that are never put into practice. Compound that with the show being a massively unoriginal UC wannabe with nothing redeeming or new to say and you have another Gundam series that you can safely ignore. At least not everybody in UC was an annoying cunt, Wing is like if every character was on Katz level all the time. That this show was the followup to G Gundam makes me sad. The only reason I can think of that people like this show is solely because of nostalgia. I have none for the show and from what I understand it only gets worse.

Fuck. I can sit through bad shows but not ones that actively piss me off. The reason I've been so slow on backlog anime is because everytime I think about watching Gundam Wing I just go and play a game that doesn't suck ass.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back to something that makes perfect sense - Apollo Justice Case 3.

Oh well.

More time for you to watch better shows.

Will I agree that wing is far from good, Endless Waltz is one of my favourite movies. Everything about the art style, the music and the animation were amazing. There is also that amazing city battle that ranks in my favourite mecha anime battles.

I must have watched it way over 20 times.

tumblr_niisb2A0tW1rjxyrgo7_400.gif

tp9G1ny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom