• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Shiki - 1

- Op with skulls, check
- Pink haired girl, check
- Pink haired girl with pigtails, check
- Red ribbons in said pigtails, check
- Obsessive stalker, check
- Gets creepy at the end, check

So this was the inspiration for Mira Nikki! Not sure if I can carry on as weird hairstyles (What is up with that guy who has cat ears for hair) are a turnoff for me.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 8

Where are my tank idols? The world needs them in order to justify its continued existence.

Finally, a Koharu episode. So she packs a lot in her pockets and studied idols a lot when she was younger. Almost like an idol professor? She certainly has a lot of wigs and costumes. She's also surprisingly good at improv. Most people probably didn't even notice her mistake at the end. For once a teacher acted appropriately helpful. Not much to say about Mahiru. Though it does mean we lack any first years in the dance class. It was disappointing that Koharu didn't get a performance, though at least Yozora's new song was good.

Cornbread78

The Lost Village ep.9

Well, we finally got some backstory from "best bro" but we also found out his true feelings towards Mitsu. Kinda a piece if shit thing to p
ass along the superiority complex from his bad upbringing by his snotty parents and thinking he can do it to his friends.
Uugghh..

Other than that, still too many holes in the story and not enough crazy to make up for it.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Shiki - 1

- Op with skulls, check

So this was the inspiration for Mira Nikki! Not sure if I can carry on as weird hairstyles (What is up with that guy who has cat ears for hair) are a turnoff for me.
You haven't seen anything yet.

Cornbread78

Asterisk ep.21
Nice conclusion to that battle that felt complete, but I'm still really surprised they have pushed the Julis x Ayato relationship forward very much outside of them growing a better understanding of their battle techniques a.k.a teamwork. Even that final convo between the two almost appeared to put a little bit of distance between the two, even though Ayato thought he was being a nice guy..

Now real talk here. Is this LN still ongoing? They are introducing new plotlines and concepts with 3 episodes left.... This is definitely going to be a blatant "go read the LN" ending, isn't it?

Shiki - 1

- Op with skulls, check

That character design...smh.

And yeh, you haven't seen the worse of hair styles the show has to offer, yet.

Dio

Banned
Shiki - 1

- Op with skulls, check

9A8Ubom.jpg

Aki-at

Hahahaha what! Some of those hair styles are on the funny side of stupid.

Guess this'll make a great unintentional comedy lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So since I'm not a military nerd, can someone explain who the new girls are supposed to be in the GuP movie? Are they just supposed to other Americans?

JulianImp

3 episodes in and Paranoia Agent is pretty A+ so far. I'm loving the atmosphere, execution and the rather creepy character designs/faces, but why is the OP so disturbing, raa-eee-yaaa. This is a really nice change to the shows I usually watch.

You forgot the lyrics mentioning "a stunning/beautiful mushroom-shaped cloud in the sky" right after said raa-eee-yaaa. Then there's that mellow lullaby-style ending after all the crazyness you just watched, which is great for contrast.

Glad to hear more people are watching this show, because it's definitely one of my favorites.

Kiznaiver 8

I think the main thrust of this episode is to show how immoral the Kiznaiver program is.
Some people are probably happy their ships are coming together, and opposing ships are crashing, but regarding of the outcome, these characters are being manipulated on deeply personal levels.

Also, sweet Jebus, I won't be surprised if there's an episode where Chidori's parents tell her they never loved her or something. Was she a monster in a past life or something?

kewlmyc

Kiznaiver 8

I think the main thrust of this episode is to show how immoral the Kiznaiver program is.
Some people are probably happy their ships are coming together, and opposing ships are crashing, but regarding of the outcome, these characters are being manipulated on deeply personal levels.

Also, sweet Jebus, I won't be surprised if there's an episode where Chidori's parents tell her they never loved her or something. Was she a monster in a past life or something?

Eh, she'll find a better boyfriend in Tenga anyway. Too bad Nico's heart is going to be demolished next episode.

I still don't see where this "Nico loves Tenga" thing came from.

Eh, she'll find a better boyfriend in Tenga anyway. Too bad Nico's heart is going to be demolished next episode.

I still don't see where this "Nico loves Tenga" thing came from.

It's true. Everyone should know Tenga is the best.

Yeah, I'm not really sure where the "Nico loves Tenga" thing came from either. I remember Tenga feeling up Nico in the first or second episode when he thought he was in a dream, but that only shows (maybe) attraction on his part.

Yeah but Tomino literally told people not to buy Victory Gundam. This was a show that he was physically ashamed of making.

John Carpenter is still saddened over The Thing's initial poor performance and critical panning, despite it being seen in a far more positive light now. That kind of context makes me more interested in something, if anything.

Note I am not comparing Victory to the Thing quality wise.

Mayoiga - 01 - 09

Man, sometimes I have to stop relying on AnimeGAF and/or online consensus on what anime to watch this season; after binging and catching up with this show today I question why this show is looked negatively upon.

However, I'll admit that what I expected with this anime before I started watching and what I ultimately got out of it as of these 9 episodes were two different things. The show honestly reminds me of a more serious-themed and dramatic Kiznaiver or Kokoro Connect in terms of dealing with emotional hiccups people deal with and do their best to hide from others.

The show so far does have flaws though such as the entire cast and the main character being generic archetypes done in anime plenty of times over in addition to focusing only on select group of characters (which I think totals to less than half of the entire cast introduced). Reminds me of Angel Beats actually and its large cast of characters and is of the episode length of 12. However, unlike Angel Beats, around the first 3-4 episodes its quite apparent where the focus is set on so I have had an easier time ignoring the rest of the cast instead of having said focus trying to dedicate itself to every character.

Another flaw is some plot holes that show up, nothing too major for me to get hung up over though but for instance
why did Koharun organize the tour in the first place, wouldn't be easier and less hassle to do this solo or just with her simping partner/friend?
I do hope that the question is answered in the future episodes (or clarified here on GAF) but I wouldn't but my hopes on it.

Originally I thought this anime to be a murder-mystery akin to Higurashi with the whole remote village-shtick. While that didn't turn out true
NO ONE IS FUCKING DEAD, SOOOOOOO DISAPPOINT
, what the anime did turn out to be wasn't bad either as I've stated above.

Overall I enjoy Mayoiga and look forward to its future episodes but still question why the show was looked down upon, personally I find the supernatural stuff no more alienating that that of say Higurashi or recent time travel shenanigans like we had in Erased and Re:Zero (Kiznaiver is more absurd compared to this show)
I'll admit though, most of the monsters shown are hilarious like silicon and wood

Edit: Ah, I should note that despite apparent praise from me within this post I'm very much aware of the possibility of getting burnt considering the 12 episode limit. I do hope that it's not like the shit that was Maeda's Charlotte where every single plot thread was tied up sloppily in the very last episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
John Carpenter is still saddened over The Thing's initial poor performance and critical panning, despite it being seen in a far more positive light now. That kind of context makes me more interested in something, if anything.

Note I am not comparing Victory to the Thing quality wise.

Look just don't come crying to us after we warned you.

Narag

Mayoiga - 01 - 09

Man, sometimes I have to stop relying on AnimeGAF and/or online consensus on what anime to watch this season; after binging and catching up with this show today I question why this show is looked negatively upon.

I like to think it's partially because people don't pay attention to staff. I'm not saying one should have to but if you see Mizushima & Okada on the same show, expectations are set.

I like to think it's partially because people don't pay attention to staff. I'm not saying one should have to but if you see Mizushima & Okada on the same show, expectations are set.

I came into Mayoiga expecting a Blood-C style black comedy, and that's essentially what I got. But I still ended up disliking it because the visual direction is mediocre to bad and the writing becomes ever more mean-spirited.

duckroll

I came into Mayoiga expecting a Blood-C style black comedy, and that's essentially what I got. But I still ended up disliking it because the visual direction is mediocre to bad and the writing becomes ever more mean-spirited.

To be fair, there's a huge chunk of the middle of Blood-C which was fucking boring and didn't have much in terms of direction either. We just remember the final 2 episodes because they were so funny!

To be fair, there's a huge chunk of the middle of Blood-C which was fucking boring and didn't have much in terms of direction either. We just remember the final 2 episodes because they were so funny!

True, it's the ending that stands out. Maybe if Mayoiga suddenly kills everyone off in the last two episodes people will remember it more fondly as well. But Blood-C also had good, well-animated action scenes, and there's nothing comparable in Mayoiga.

duckroll

True, it's the ending that stands out. Maybe if Mayoiga suddenly kills everyone off in the last two episodes people will remember it more fondly as well. But Blood-C also had good, well-animated action scenes, and there's nothing comparable in Mayoiga.

Yeah well, it's a shitty studio, so we can't expect much. Lol.

The director of the FMA live-action movie made some comments:

Additionally, Ed's age will be 20 in the film, where he was originally 15 in the manga.

???

He added that he "wants to create a wonderful film that will use techniques that challenge Hollywood," and noted that nowadays Japanese filmmaking techniques have progressed greatly.

Sori also said although up until now, he has used CG in places you wouldn't notice it, and for this film, he plans to use a type of CG that he wants the audience to see. He also is planning to use both types of CG in great quantities.

??????

Whether or not it succeeds at is is subjective (I believe it does partially?) but the setting is set up to be serious and shit (remote village, perpetually nighttime, the shtick) hence the adjectives.

I don't think the tone is particularly serious at all. Even much of the tragic backstories are presented in a comical way.

Narag

Space Battleship Yamato 6

SNIkr5Ul.jpg
QRwFgxVl.png

TV ep 6, 2199 ep 4

4pRLBgTl.png
XFmdgpXl.png

TV ep 6, 2199 ep 4

Been a while since I watched 2199 but man does the TV show make it feel like the weight of the world is on Okita's shoulders. I mean it is but it feels like he and Kodai have gotten the majority of the character work so far. I imagine a benefit of compressing early events for 2199 was to give the rest of the crew time to shine.

Cornbread78

I don't think the tone is particularly serious at all. Even much of the tragic backstories are presented in a comical way.

This has my disappointmentwith the show thus far. It appeared to be a more dramatic and serious anime from the last set of key art, but the presentation of thise stories and the direction of the show has been a total departure from that. I expected pain, suffering, death, and drama. A mental and physical battle of survival type of show, but.....

Oh, I also thought there would be more actual mystery, but again, the presentation of the story has taken the focus off of that...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think I'm going to write something move involved later, but I kind of wanted to get off some bullet points about the Girls and Panzer movie.

Although the OVAs did some world building, the actual state of the world makes no sense. It doesn't matter because all these abandoned towns make for better backdrops for war than generic fields and plains, but I still wonder why no one seemingly lives in these gigantic towns.

The actual motivation for the movie is kind of silly and I felt was unnecessary. They didn't need to basically
retcon the series by saying that their wins didn't matter, just so they could save the school again in the movie.
duckroll joked that they were being "Yoshida", and I guess that's probably the case. It just felt lazy though. I appreciate that they might have wanted to tell a story, but what happens is the middle part of the film completely stands out as a diversion - particularly if you've seen the TV show.

That said, I was surprised that they worked in the weird teddy bears that were found in Miho's room during the series.
zJkpfozl.jpg

I have no idea if some art designer put them in her room because it'd be funny to have a moe girl to have these gloomy teddy bears or if it was all building to the "reveal" in the movie, but it works. I'm disappointed that they had to go out of their way to explain the connection between the bear (Boko) and Miho to the audience though... it's one of those times when it feels like the writer or director didn't trust the audience to be smart enough to make the connection on their own. But that's a small niggle to complain about.

Speaking of neat moments of character building,
near the end of the movie each team is allowed to play to their strengths, which pays off some character building from the series. Since I just watched the Anzio OVA recently, it was nice to see the cardboard fakes return.
It's a nice bit of continuity.

There feels like a missing story here with the Finnish/Continuation school. It's not really clear why they are there other than they just decided to join in on the fun.

But really, most people are going to be here for the tank battles and no one could be disappointed with those. They're fun and exciting to watch, amping up the battles that were found in the series to new heights. You can see the extra money on the screen.
This image is kind of a spoiler so I'll just link it, but I thought it was a neat way to quickly give the audience a layout of the coming battle: http://i.imgur.com/UjIGcgR.jpg

On that note, I really liked how the climax of the battle
was a "show don't tell" moment. You didn't need the characters talking to each other as they tried to give orders and explain strategies, because you can see that happening on the screen. It reminded me of the end of Sora no Woto, which had a similar battle where they just left out all the speech and let the tanks do the talking.
It was an interesting way to set this part of the battle apart from the other parts.

Miho's mom is a fucking boss.
WggAJpUl.jpg

It's a fun movie, and I can see why they would put this in theaters with the whole 4DX thing. I'm sure your seat would be moving and shaking for the last hour of the film.

DiGiKerot

I think I'm going to write something move involved later, but I kind of wanted to get off some bullet points about the Girls and Panzer movie.

Although the OVAs did some world building, the actual state of the world makes no sense. It doesn't matter because all these abandoned towns make for better backdrops for war than generic fields and plains, but I still wonder why no one seemingly lives in these gigantic towns.

I thought the TV suggested that the towns in which most of these tank battles took place were ordinarily populated - it's why the one guy was so pleased that his shop in Oorai keeps getting wrecked, because he can claim for significant compensation on it.

The
disused theme park
at the end makes sense, because there's numerous well-documented examples of actual such things in real-world Japan.

(I'd also assume that in a world where half your students seem to be sent off the live on city-ships, anywhere built around educational facilities and entertaining youngsters is going to go used)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought the TV suggested that the towns in which most of these tank battles took place were ordinarily populated - it's why the one guy was so pleased that his shop in Oorai keeps getting wrecked, because he can claim for significant compensation on it.

The
disused theme park
at the end makes sense, because there's numerous well-documented examples of actual such things in real-world Japan.

(I'd also assume that in a world where half your students seem to be sent off the live on city-ships, anywhere built around educational facilities and entertaining youngsters is going to go used)

I don't remember the TV show that much, but that's even crazier when you consider the finale took place in a city that was entirely empty. How would you get everyone to agree with that? lol
Although I guess the movie has a bit in the first battle where
they drive through a populated area of town

(Incoming stream of consciousness text because this is a very difficult show to put into words)

The Flowers of Evil 01

This is what I've chosen as my palate cleanser, and as a note I've never read the manga and I know very little about the show itself. It's not often I watch the first episode of an anime and have to think about it for a while. Already, I'm not surprised this show got slammed on MAL, Kotaku and elsewhere when it first came out because anime fans have bad taste and just want the same shit again and again done in the safest way possible and to follow manga to the T, also I'm pretty sure this aired in the same season as Attack on Titan, Valvrave and Railgun so that must have been insufferable the show is extremely non-traditional. Extremely. So much so I'm having trouble putting words to it without being redundant. A lot of people have a hard time accepting or dealing with something that betrays expectations or is blatantly non-traditional. I understand and am sympathetic to that. In fact, back when this originally aired I would have certainly been one of those people. That was the me before I discovered that people made movies outside of the United States. But I love that shit now. I live for it. Give me the Alejandro Jodorowskyes, the David Lynches and the Luis Buñueles. To me the fact that so many people got bent out of shape and rose to attack it and berate and others rose to defend it says that it has a lot more merit then your average TV anime. Shows like this don't come around all that often, not even once a year. When I say it is non-traditional I'm not just talking about the obvious roto-scoping element, but lets start there. Now I'm watching the Blu-Ray version, maybe it looked poorer when it originally aired - I know that the one shot of the red-headed girls face that was posted everywhere about when it originally aired was changed - but the use of roto-scoping here is effective for the tone that the show is setting in the first episode. It almost falls into the uncanny valley, so much so that it makes you question why this wasn't just a live action series anyway. I think the decision works because it looks so close to being real, but is just different enough that it stays in the realm of being not real. I would describe the general tone of this episode to be "uncomfortable." Or maybe "melancholy." Or maybe even "claustrophobic." It's giving me a heavy Halloween or Invasion of the Body Snatchers vibe, where the music and direction give it an uneasiness and a rising and falling of tension that somewhat betray what is actually going on in the show. The episode is shot, composed and presented like a horror movie and like a movie in general, despite nothing scary happening in the episode. A good piece of it is just characters walking (in beautiful backgrounds) while music plays. What is happening is pretty normal - normal conversations for teenage boys, the normal fawning over the class idol, the normal family. But the way it is presented is abnormal. Everything feeds into this general aura of trepidation where you sit and wait for something to go wrong...and it never does.

qAoz7ht.jpg

An entire scene happens in this view, with everything happening in that small window. A lot of times in the episode I found myself saying "Wow, that's not something you see in anime very often."

There's really only one scene of any sort of conflict and it isn't even between the main character and someone else, he just observes it. It also is reminiscent of the manga of Inio Asano, mainly Oyasumi PunPun, Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction and Nijigahara Holograph - all which have this low key horror vibe where it always feels like something is wrong. Also, it seems like the main character is going to get trapped because of his fucked up delusions about his ideal woman and the other red-headed chick who seems somewhat sociopathic and that's making PunPun bells ring in my head. The main character likes Baudelaire, the show is even named after his most famous work, which is all about beauty in the malevolent.

So I'm into it. I'm #teampotato. Flowers of Evil's first episode doesn't give a shit if you like it or not and I respect that. It's only the first episode, but as I said it has been a very long time since I had to think about any show's (even live action) first episode as much as this. The rest of the show could be total shit and it wouldn't change the fact that the first episode made me interested.

Narag

(Incoming stream of consciousness text because this is a very difficult show to put into words)

The Flowers of Evil 01
The rest of the show could be total shit and it wouldn't change the fact that the first episode made me interested.

You're in luck since this isn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom