• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rex.

Banned
The Lost Village 1 & 2

Pretty boring so far but I'm easily amused and there being a dude named Wankoro is enough to keep me watching.

Just T

Kiznaiver: 8

That was a really good episode especially those last scenes, really nice music.

Also nice that Chidori has an L to keep her company.

DiGiKerot

Gundam the Origin III

That was fucking amazing. The best one yet, and it really shows how powerful the Char story can be when done in this really operatic but yet serious and passionate way. Everything is so dramatic, intense, and expressions are all a little over the top, but yet you feel the energy in every scene. The way the direction handled the tension between Char and Garma in every scene they interacted in was so good. Fuck. FUCK. All the problems I had with the Char voice in Origin II is gone here, because once he's in the academy, he becomes Char and there is no more dissonance.

Can't wait for IV.

Yeah, saw this a few hours ago, and was pretty amazed at how much better than Part 2 it was, though generally I'm pretty down for anything in which Char comes across as machiavellian as he does here.

T-Rex.

Banned
Are there any good anime horror movies? Every list I've seen has Another at the top, or near the top, and I thought that was awful.

T-Rex.

Banned
What sort of horror are you looking for?
I'm open to anything really. It doesn't even necessarily have to be horror if there aren't that many good horror movies out there, something atmospheric like Paradox Spiral would be equally good.

The second half of the Demon Prince Enma OVAs is a legit good haunted house story.

...that's really all I can think of.
Will have a look, thanks.

duckroll

I'm open to anything really. It doesn't even necessarily have to be horror if there aren't that many good horror movies out there, something atmospheric like Paradox Spiral would be equally good.

I would say Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue would definitely fit the description of horror if you count psychological horror thrillers. There's also a lesser known film called Asura which I would classify as horror. It's a CG animated film based on a manga by George Akiyama. Very bleak, and filled with horrifying stuff.

What is rare in animation is shock horror or traditional paranormal horror. Since that tends to not work as well without being realistic to an extent.

Although I can see Rakugo as the top of the medium as far as anime goes, I'm having a lot more enjoyment and attachment to Kiznaiver. Using these two examples, how would one rate their AOTY? Based on the quality of the overall package as a whole to the medium (in terms of exposing people to older historical culture, a dying art, etc, etc), or how much you enjoyed that show, its characters, its design?

And just to be clear I'm not saying these are my AOTY yet since there's half a year of anime to go through still, but it's something I've been thinking about.

Narag

Although I can see Rakugo as the top of the medium as far as anime goes, I'm having a lot more enjoyment and attachment to Kiznaiver. Using these two examples, how would one rate their AOTY? Based on the quality of the overall package as a whole to the medium (in terms of exposing people to older historical culture, a dying art, etc, etc), or how much you enjoyed that show, its characters, its design?

And just to be clear I'm not saying these are my AOTY yet since there's half a year of anime to go through still, but it's something I've been thinking about.

It's a popularity contest so whatever you personally liked most.

jonjonaug

I would just consider whatever I liked more. Either way though, Rakugo is my AOTY so far.

T-Rex.

Banned
I would say Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue would definitely fit the description of horror if you count psychological horror thrillers. There's also a lesser known film called Asura which I would classify as horror. It's a CG animated film based on a manga by George Akiyama. Very bleak, and filled with horrifying stuff.

What is rare in animation is shock horror or traditional paranormal horror. Since that tends to not work as well without being realistic to an extent.
Yeah Perfect Blue is stunning. I checked out Paprika after watching it and was equally captivated.

• First season of Yamishibai
  • First season of Kagewani
  • Curse of Kazuo Umezu
Really appreciated.

It's a popularity contest so whatever you personally liked most.

I would just consider whatever I liked more. Either way though, Rakugo is my AOTY so far.

Good points. I mean yeah, it's weird. I thought Rakugo was fantastic and a breath of fresh air into anime. However I like Kiznaiver more, even though it doesn't even reach the same heights as the other show. To be fair, Kiznaiver has A LOT of good things going for it, hence why I like it so much. It just really isn't doing the same as Rakugo, and I think that's why that show deserves more credit.

But let's be real, even if it doesn't get my AOTY vote at the end of all this, I'm pretty sure that it will still get lots of them from everyone else on this thread. Idk about other sites and stuff, but yeah.

I don't even think I've watched an anime movie so far. So I guess for now the only ranking I jokingly have is either Jungle Book or Zootopia. I should probably see if there's any upcoming anime movie that looks half decent.

Eumi

This is not your average, everyday shipping.

This is... ADVANCED shipping.

Also is Katsuhira actually becoming interesting? It's... it's almost like he has a character now.

God I hope this show sticks the landing. It's kinda perfect right now, it can't afford to end up shit.

Is A Silent Voice airing in 2016?

If so then I can definitely see it winning movie of the year for anime. With proper direction it can turn out to be amazing.

Also can OVAs count? Or are they a separate category because the first OVA for The Ancient Magus Bride is airing in August.

Ascheroth

Well, when I'm considering my AOTS and AOTY candidates I do my best to be as unbiased as possible and only judge based on extremely objective criteria, first and foremost the overall enjoyment I got out of it.

I think it's more of the latter for me. About how attached I was to the show and its characters.

Like, If I had to be really honest, I don't think I'd have rated Hyouka as AOTY 2012 (That honour probably would've have gone to Jojo had I watched it back then). I still loved it. I still think it's a generally great show that a lot of people should watch.

Did I love it the same way I loved Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Madoka Magica, G Gundam, and Majin Bone? No way. Those shows are shows with characters that hold a very special place in my heart. As fantastic as Hyouka was, it never gave me that same kind of feeling that I felt while watching those shows.

I have a bad feeling that Kabaneri will place on the Top 10. And MHA. How could I forget this.

lol

Idk. MHA, almost definitely will with the more casual audience. Now Kabaneri? You either have an Amazon Prime account, or you are watching it illegally. And let's be real, aside from those who shop on amazon and already have prime, who would go out of their way just for that one show? Not many I believe.

Tanaka 08

Tanaka is simply the worst lol. This is Himouto levels of laziness and unappreciation right here. Feelsbad Ohta.

Well, when I'm considering my AOTS and AOTY candidates I do my best to be as unbiased as possible and only judge based on extremely objective criteria, first and foremost the overall enjoyment I got out of it.

Idk. MHA, almost definitely will with the more casual audience. Now Kabaneri? You either have an Amazon Prime account, or you are watching it illegally. And let's be real, aside from those who shop on amazon and already have prime, who would go out of their way just for that one show? Not many I believe.

Tanaka 08

Tanaka is simply the worst lol. This is Himouto levels of laziness and unappreciation right here. Feelsbad Ohta.

I think it's more of the latter for me. About how attached I was to the show and its characters.

Like, If I had to be really honest, I don't think I'd have rated Hyouka as AOTY 2012 (That honour probably would've have gone to Jojo had I watched it back then). I still loved it. I still think it's a generally great show that a lot of people should watch.

Did I love it the same way I loved Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Madoka Magica, G Gundam, and Majin Bone? No way. Those shows are shows with characters that hold a very special place in my heart. As fantastic as Hyouka was, it never gave me that same kind of feeling that I felt while watching those shows.

Yeah there seems to be a divide here. I'm only feeling it this season, as for the previous ones, the one show I enjoyed the most happened to be the one show I thought was the best for the medium. In this case I can't say Kiznaiver is best of the medium, it is not reinventing the wheel, but rather improving it and making it its own. Rakugo was brilliant, hands down some of the best anime I've ever watched. But I just don't feel THAT attached to its characters. I loved the work and what it went for, but I just didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I am now with Kiz.

If you live in the US and DON'T have Amazon prime, there's something wrong with you to begin with.

Yeah but someone else may think differently. I know a lot of people that don't have Prime. All they buy online is videogames, and either they do it through Best Buy, or they just buy the games digitally. I have Prime, but I realize that a lot of others don't.

duckroll

Kiznaiver - Episode 8

The writing here was fucking on point. It's so meta it hurts. Not only do they go out of their way to highlight the fact that weather is often used as a backdrop in fiction to intensify moods and heighten emotions, but they then proceed to express the same shipping theories the audience is expected to have been doing either consciously or subconsciously up to now.

I felt on a whole the episode was a step down from the last few episodes, but intentionally so, since it's setting stuff up again, rather than directly riding the momentum like before. It doesn't take long to set up though, and once it gets moving there were some really well composed shots towards the end. I love the layouts on this show.

So... while we're debating the likely failure of Chidori as a "childhood friend", wouldn't Sonozaki be... even more fitting of that title? Is she even more doomed?

Where is the next episode? I need it now. :(

Qurupeke

I'm not sure what you mean by that and what's its relevance to AOTY. Hyouka won a few years ago but there wasn't any legal way to watch it.

Kiznaiver - Episode 8

The writing here was fucking on point. It's so meta it hurts. Not only do they go out of their way to highlight the fact that weather is often used as a backdrop in fiction to intensify moods and heighten emotions, but they then proceed to express the same shipping theories the audience is expected to have been doing either consciously or subconsciously up to now.

I felt on a whole the episode was a step down from the last few episodes, but intentionally so, since it's setting stuff up again, rather than directly riding the momentum like before. It doesn't take long to set up though, and once it gets moving there were some really well composed shots towards the end. I love the layouts on this show.

So... while we're debating the likely failure of Chidori as a "childhood friend", wouldn't Sonozaki be... even more fitting of that title? Is she even more doomed?

Sonozaki is the long lost childhood friend though, while Chidori was always there. "Grass is always greener on the other side", coupled with "I've known and been around this person forever" basically shut her inside the friendzone, and there is simply no way she is coming out. I wanted Tenga to end up with her, but after today I'm strongly leaning towards Nico.

I'm not sure what you mean by that and what's its relevance to AOTY. Hyouka won a few years ago but there wasn't any legal way to watch it.

That is true. I wasn't here in 2012, but I was more talking about AOTY as a whole. I realize that people on this thread love Kabaneri, but I don't see too much buzz around it outside of a few places.

Sonozaki is the long lost childhood friend though, while Chidori was always there. "Grass is always greener on the other side", coupled with "I've known and been around this person forever" basically shut her inside the friendzone, and there is simply no way she is coming out. I wanted Tenga to end up with her, but after today I'm strongly leaning towards Nico.

Chidori will end up with Masochistic guy, or die. I can only see these two outcomes now.

Eumi

Kiznaiver - Episode 8

Sonozaki is playing this thing like self-insert fanfiction. The whole experiment is just an excuse for her to get that sweet Katsuhira booty.

Chidori will end up with Masochistic guy, or die. I can only see these two outcomes now.

I liked her, I really did. But the more the episodes go on, the more I start getting annoyed by her fixation. It's her own fault in a sense. The guy is as dense as it gets. If you REALLY like him that much, be upfront about it instead of being all butthurt every week. I'm really looking forward to next week's episode, since the trio is all together and emotions are at the peak.

Also, I strongly doubt anyone will die in this show, as its motif is jumping over emotional barriers. This is a barrier she needs to jump over.

Asterisk War 21

So I guess everyone is corrupt and evil then... I seriously want little robot-making girl to die in a fire. She's just so fucking annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom