• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anime Limited announced that they've licensed the following for the UK for release in 2016:

Wikipedia said:
Momotarō: Umi no Shinpei (桃太郎 海の神兵?, lit. Momotarou: God Warriors of the Sea or Momotaro, Sacred Sailors[2]) is the first Japanese feature-length animated film.[3] It was directed by Mitsuyo Seo, who was ordered to make a propaganda film for World War II by the Japanese Naval Ministry. Shochiku Moving Picture Laboratory shot the 74-minute film in 1944 and screened it on April 12, 1945. It is a sequel to Momotarō no Umiwashi, a 37-minute film released in 1943 by the same director. It is black and white.[4] In English, the film is known as Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors.

Now that's a real pickup.

blurr

Went to a local anime club meet today, I ended up discussing more games than anime. I got Kimi no Todoke spoiled :( but it was intriguing. Met a lot of people.

Kiznaiver 08

Main narrative had some interesting revelations this episode:
the actual intention of the project and the tests done on children
. I'm still not finding the character drama interesting enough but it's definitely not bad per se albeit I feel the setting had so much more potential which had me excited initially.

Theonik

the movie seeeeems to expect me to know who these characters are. Don't be a dingus. I'm not media illiterate mate.

/edit on second thoughts my phrasing was unclear. There are indeed characters who are new. There are also characters who are new to me who are apparently not worthy of getting an actual 'introduction' as characters, leading me to think I may have skipped some OVAs.
The Italian girls were from the Anzio OVA, Japan and Finland are film originals.
The GuP OVA really was nothing. lol

(Or an excuse to make a new ED, as duckroll suggests)
wR0yu4Yl.jpg
There is a reason I didn't bother posting impressions.

javac

Now that's a real pickup.

Yup I'm very excited for that one, I've been hoping for it to get a release here for a while but gave up hope a long time ago so this announcement came out of nowhere and surprised me. Mad props to the crew at Anime Limited for this, unfortunately it's a very risky release, which it shouldn't be due to its place in history but I do think it could be a big one. Instant purchase for me however! Best acquisition in a long time, last thing that shook me this way was Discotek releasing Robot Carnival.

Qurupeke

Beyond the Boundary 1
I was mostly curious, and I doubt it will be worse than Phantom World, which I liked. I keep saying to myself that it can't be that bad as people make it out.

First episode was actually great and a really neat start on the story. It looks good as usually for a Kyoani Production, it had really cool action, some very nice shots and fast pacing while it builds the show's world and foreshadows future events. The characters were a bit weak, Mirai is already getting on my nerves, but I hope she'll get some development. Generally, very enjoyable though.

...I'm enjoying while it lasts I guess...

Hanasaku Iroha 26

Hm... Was this the show where they made the fictional festival a reality after the anime had been made or was that some other show?

Anyway... The main romance story between Ohana and Koichi isn't really interesting and neither is some of the forced romantic triangle drama they set up and the less said about episode 3 the better. But other than that it's quite good. Enjoyed the slice of life aspects and the ryokan setting which seems realistic enough. Some of the relationship drama that does work is the family stuff between the members of the Shijima/Matsumae family.

Overall enjoyable, so 8/10

pbayne

Went to a local anime club meet today, I ended up discussing more games than anime. I got Kimi no Todoke spoiled :( but it was intriguing. Met a lot of people.

Lol how, what even is there is to spoiled in Kimi no Todoke?

Fruits Basket End

The sum of all the parts of this show is weird. Great drama, it is repetitive that all the Somha's have a dark history and Tohru's optimism is somehow the magical cure-all but the scene themselves are handled very well and have a lot of dramatic weight. The comedy is well directed, but its hit or miss depending on what characters are involved(Shigure, Ayame and Hatori were especially great). And the love triangle, its not even focused on really/its not that interesting, its more about Tohru getting to the root of Yuki and Kyo's problems than any romantic feelings. And the little there is is fairly lopsided in Yuki's favor.

So in all a good ensemble cast carried the show for me. Manages to juggle a lot of characters and give them all a bit of depth. Mostly fine with a few stand-out exceptional episodes.

Jintor

MHA 09

pretty good, glad they adapted two chapters instead of 1, made it a good setup episode. They kinda skipped a few bits (I emphasise few, I'm literally talking a panel here or there) but the pacing was quite tight and we got more fun class moments. They didn't quite get that cliffhanger right for some reason though.

javac

This sure looks silly now!

To be fair this has been a long time coming, I don't mind looking silly and I doubt DeadRockstar does too because we're reaping the rewards now! I'd like to think that my begging and nagging caused this :p

But seriously, I've been chatting with Andrew a lot about this stuff so I'm glad that it's coming to fruition. I keep nagging him about Gunbuster and many other older shows, hopefully we see those soon :p

Speaking of Andrew I was talking to him about the Animator Expo shorts since he was alluding to something last year and this is what he said in regards to a physical release:
It's a labour of love - Japan doesn't even know what to do with it all yet. I'm begging to be allowed to lead on it actually...

Narag

To be fair this has been a long time coming, I don't mind looking silly and I doubt DeadRockstar does too because we're reaping the rewards now! I'd like to think that my begging and nagging caused this :p

But seriously, I've been chatting with Andrew a lot about this stuff so I'm glad that it's coming to fruition. I keep nagging him about Gunbuster and many other older shows, hopefully we see those soon :p

Speaking of Andrew I was talking to him about the Animator Expo shorts since he was alluding to something last year and this is what he said in regards to a physical release:

Didn't a French company say the Gunbuster OVA is tied up in OST a rights mess outside of Japan?

blurr

My Hero Academia 09

I really liked Space Hero Thirteen's speech: everyone is capable of doing bad but they should remember that they use and hone their abilities for doing good.

Defuser

Rick & Morty season 1 & 2

Better than most anime sci-fi or comedies.

Why didn't I watch this before? Interdimensional cable S1 & S2 are my favourite episodes.

tuffy

Didn't a French company say the Gunbuster OVA is tied up in OST a rights mess outside of Japan?
One piece of training montage background music was changed for Gunbuster's DVD release back in 2007. But it seems like there's something odd with its rights because the Gunbuster movie compilation version has been released on Blu Ray several times in NA but the original version has yet to be released on Blu Ray at all.

Tuck

Hero Academia - 9
I gotta say, Deku is a shitty MC. He cowers in fear at the slightest thing multiple times every episode. To say its annoying would be an understatement. Plus you have Kacchan acting like an idiotic psychopath every time someone glances at him, and you end up having a show with two very shitty leads. Add on top of that the generic high school bullshit common to so many anime these days and you get a show thats not very interesting, in spite of all the cool costumes and powers.

Its good enough to keep watching, I guess. But GAF told me this series was on some higher level than other manga.

So far, its not.

Hero Academia - 9
I gotta say, Deku is a shitty MC. He cowers in fear at the slightest thing multiple times every episode. To say its annoying would be an understatement. Plus you have Kacchan acting like an idiotic psychopath every time someone glances at him, and you end up having a show with two very shitty leads. Add on top of that the generic high school bullshit common to so many anime these days and you get a show thats not very interesting, in spite of all the cool costumes and powers.

Its good enough to keep watching, I guess. But GAF told me this series was on some higher level than other manga.

So far, its not.

Surely you did not read that from me! I read the manga before and said it was okay. Not enough to get me to go watch the show there. And tbh I haven't even read the manga in a couple of months, which is far ahead in the story compared to the anime from what I hear from you guys. So take that as you will in terms of what's to come for those who are watching:
It's just not that interesting.

GuP movie

This was easily the best tanks battles I seen in anywhere ever. Certainly was worth the wait. Enjoyed how all the girls and group each had to moments to shine.

This sure looks silly now!

Reported for bullying.

It's cool that Andrew engages. I've seen him dip into the blu-ray.com forums as well (though that was mostly related to authoring concerns/errors IIRC).

I hadn't thought about the fact that Japan doesn't have an animator expo collection yet. Sounds like an uphill battle to license but a handful of those shorts were my favourite works of the year so it would be nice.

Either way, it's nice to have AL back to winning the licensing game. Belladonna!!!

javac

Yeah it was Dybex. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1076578249027821&id=120505991301723
Translation:
Among Dybex outputs Q1 2016, there will be surprises.

That is...the titles you do not expect , of course :p

And in lot of surprises so there will finally Gunbuster Vs Diebuster (yes, we too would come out well in Gunbuster OAV version, but it is currently impossible : only available in Japan) but also a small little known gem, composed of two short films by beautifully animated SUNRISE (Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, City Hunter... )

One piece of training montage background music was changed for Gunbuster's DVD release back in 2007. But it seems like there's something odd with its rights because the Gunbuster movie compilation version has been released on Blu Ray several times in NA but the original version has yet to be released on Blu Ray at all.

The Japanese Gunbuster OVA Blu-ray as two audio mixes, the orginal 2.0 audio stream has the original audio, SFX and voice acting along with the Chariots of Fire rendition but the newer 5.1 mix doesn't have that piece included as they did the SFX, Music and dub from scratch when they did the compilation movie so I'm not sure if the issue is with that song alone, since they could just use the new mix.

Tuck

what? he wasn't even scared of anything this episode.

Did we watch the same episode? Seemed like every thirty seconds he was squirming about something or another, whether it be because a girl or the teacher said three words to him, or because he was elected class rep (ugh).

Every episode is like this. He's not fun to watch.

Ending was neat though, interested to see where they go with it.

phaze

Ascheroth

Did we watch the same episode? Seemed like every thirty seconds he was squirming about something or another, whether it be because a girl or the teacher said three words to him, or because he was elected class rep (ugh).

Every episode is like this. He's not fun to watch.

Ending was neat though, interested to see where they go with it.

You have an ...interesting definition of 'scared'.

Eumi

I really don't get all the MHA love and I can't be bothered slogging through the manga until 'it gets good'. As I've said before if people are enjoying it that's great but it just seems so utterly bland to me. It's baffling.

Jintor

Better nervous than dattebayo, that's my motto.

I really don't get all the MHA love and I can't be bothered slogging through the manga until 'it gets good'. As I've said before if people are enjoying it that's great but it just seems so utterly bland to me. It's baffling.

Finding it bland to me is equally baffling! That's the great thing about tastes!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

i mean that's really all it is

a stereotypical shounen

javac

It's cool that Andrew engages. I've seen him dip into the blu-ray.com forums as well (though that was mostly related to authoring concerns/errors IIRC).

I hadn't thought about the fact that Japan doesn't have an animator expo collection yet. Sounds like an uphill battle to license but a handful of those shorts were my favourite works of the year so it would be nice.

Either way, it's nice to have AL back to winning the licensing game. Belladonna!!!

Yup I agree, its nice that he engages with the audience candidly, whether it's about his favorite show from the season, specifics about licensing and assets he has at his disposal, things that he wasn't allowed to do and things that he was allowed to do when it it comes to the creations of their sets and so on. It is refreshing and it also gives me a chance to throw requests his way :p

Andrew led acquisitions at Beez and under his belt they acquired House of Five Leaves, Tatami and Sword of the Stranger, wouldn't be surprised seeing those two getting a new lease of life under Anime Limited.

Belladonna and Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors blow me away, never expected them to see a release here and it makes me optimistic for similar releases in the future.

Jintor

I recant that a bit actually, I can pretty easily see why the anime isn't going to really appeal to non fans just yet. I still hold the manga is good from the get go though. The pacing issues just blast straight by.

Eumi

Better nervous than dattebayo, that's my motto.

Finding it bland to me is equally baffling! That's the great thing about tastes!

Pffft, tastes are stupid. If we were all objective, unfeeling robots I wouldn't have any problems.

Edit: Hey, don't pull that manga trick on me. I tried reading it in preparation and it didn't grab me. So, yeah! Take that? I think? Because not enjoying something that's making others happy is a good thing... woo?

Somehow I feel like I still lost.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's a good stereotypical shounen though. Sure it doesn't do much new stuff with regards to what it is but its execution and the way it handles its themes is really stellar.

i don't think it's particularly good tho

it doesn't do anything better than its peers

the main character is even more obnoxious than shounen leads usually are

the side characters are meh to outright bad

the art is nothing to write home about

Moaradin

Deku is fantastic. He's one of the best Shonen protagonist currently. Thought that during the early parts of MHA as well.

Though if you don't like Deku then it's no surprise MHA doesn't work for you. It relies pretty heavily on Deku being a character you want to root for.

i don't think it's particularly good tho

it doesn't do anything better than its peers

the main character is even more obnoxious than shounen leads usually are

the side characters are meh to outright bad

the art is nothing to write home about

How far did you read? I felt like the manga starts to hit its stride during the sports festival arc and becomes great during the Stain arc.

no need to be so tsundere
MHA art is the best ive seen in a weekly manga, maybe FT but i dropped that a long time ago.

Horikoshis close ups are absolutely amazing

duckroll

Don't worry, in a few more weeks they'll have nothing more to talk about and we'll just be treated to a bunch of whining about how there's no second season. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom