• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill do an MHA rewatch till season 2 drops
boku_no_hero_academia_deku_by_johnsmith8989-d9xpwx3.gif

pbayne

Princess Tutu-looks interesting. Lol one of the more creative transformations ive seen, i love how she never breaks character from performing ballet when transformed.

Kaichou wa-Maid Sama-Weak premise but the main girl is cool. Im always astounded by how cheap JC Staff can be even when they have something fairly popular. Dunno feels like i could imagine the rest of the plot in my head.

Noir-Kinda interesting...but probably need to give it a few more episodes to settle in to what it actually is. The gunfight was awesome though.

Nadesico-Lol what a contrast of the MC being really serious but everyone and everything around him is complete wacky bullshit. The world established is odd as hell and it feels like characters from all different mech genres are smashed together...like Gai is straight up a super-robot protag that happened to wander on set.

L.O.R.D

My Hero Academia 9

finally , can't wait to see the facepalm guy powers,but where that blackhole comes from? some one can copy other powers?

i read on the internet he used to be moderator in some forum,he get face palmed for every stupid comment he read.

NeonZ

Hero Academia - 9
I gotta say, Deku is a shitty MC. He cowers in fear at the slightest thing multiple times every episode. To say its annoying would be an understatement. Plus you have Kacchan acting like an idiotic psychopath every time someone glances at him, and you end up having a show with two very shitty leads. Add on top of that the generic high school bullshit common to so many anime these days and you get a show thats not very interesting, in spite of all the cool costumes and powers.

Its good enough to keep watching, I guess. But GAF told me this series was on some higher level than other manga.

So far, its not.

The manga is fairly fast paced, which makes up for how shallow the material is. The anime gives more focus to the characters, greatly expanding on every chapter adapted so far in spite of having only 13 episodes... which does no favors to the material at all in a case like this.

Cornbread78

Danmachi fans all over again.

Difference being that Danmachi was just a prologue to a much larger story that hasn't even been released yet, so there will be a long LONG wait for that. Add in the fact that people will not constantly be trying to compare it all misty eyed to the manga and they are completely different animals, lol.

Narag

What is MHA's equivalent of the Hestia boob string?

Something ran into the ground ad nauseum? The idea the anime is fine and people just don't appreciate good characters and proper storytelilng.

Difference being that Danmachi was just a prologue to a much larger story that hasn't even been released yet, so there will be a long LONG wait for that. Add in the fact that people will not constantly be trying to compare it all misty eyed to the manga and they are completely different animals, lol.

They're both commercials for presently running products in other media.

Rainbow Days Episode 20

Why end the episode there!!!

Hashiba could have told her. Im glad it wasnt some family emergency or something dramatic like that. In any case, who did she call to come get him.

blurr

Hero Academia - 9
I gotta say, Deku is a shitty MC. He cowers in fear at the slightest thing multiple times every episode. To say its annoying would be an understatement. Plus you have Kacchan acting like an idiotic psychopath every time someone glances at him, and you end up having a show with two very shitty leads. Add on top of that the generic high school bullshit common to so many anime these days and you get a show thats not very interesting, in spite of all the cool costumes and powers.

Its good enough to keep watching, I guess. But GAF told me this series was on some higher level than other manga.

So far, its not.

Sure on the surface level it is like you said, not very appealing but I think MHA is a lot more interesting as a story of personal struggle(fear built up over bad experiences in the past but undeniable ability to do/be more than you are) in the guise of a shounen action show. I say this because I can personally relate to Deku in that sense and so far it has been motivational and profound in its narrative in that perspective. I think of Kacchan as a personification of his fear wrapped around his aspirations. In the 9 episodes that have aired, it has been very consistent in maintaining that theme/message. I really like it for that. I plan on reading the manga once this finishes but I read the manga is fast paced, I like how the anime is going.

Taruranto

Princess Tutu-looks interesting. Lol one of the more creative transformations ive seen, i love how she never breaks character from performing ballet when transformed.

Kaichou wa-Maid Sama-Weak premise but the main girl is cool. Im always astounded by how cheap JC Staff can be even when they have something fairly popular. Dunno feels like i could imagine the rest of the plot in my head.

Noir-Kinda interesting...but probably need to give it a few more episodes to settle in to what it actually is. The gunfight was awesome though.

Nadesico-Lol what a contrast of the MC being really serious but everyone and everything around him is complete wacky bullshit. The world established is odd as hell and it feels like characters from all different mech genres are smashed together...like Gai is straight up a super-robot protag that happened to wander on set.

Kaichou wa-Maid Sama is, quite honestly, one of the worst shoujo I ever seen.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I have developed quite the healthy and robust hatred for Deku and look forward to the episode wherein he gets punched in the face. This isn't unusual as shonen protagonists tend to grind on my nerves.

Deku is fantastic. He's one of the best Shonen protagonist currently. Thought that during the early parts of MHA as well.

Though if you don't like Deku then it's no surprise MHA doesn't work for you. It relies pretty heavily on Deku being a character you want to root for.

From the shounen I have read: DBZ, Naruto and Bleach, he is notably the worst shounen protagonist. So lame that its almost cringeworthy at times.

I really don't get all the MHA love and I can't be bothered slogging through the manga until 'it gets good'. As I've said before if people are enjoying it that's great but it just seems so utterly bland to me. It's baffling.

I was interested in the concept but the cast killed it for me, especially the MC and the guy with the superiority complex.

no need to be so tsundere
MHA art is the best ive seen in a weekly manga, maybe FT but i dropped that a long time ago.

Horikoshis close ups are absolutely amazing

what

I can't wait to get my Shonen fix with D.Gray-Man next season. Plus its adapting the arc that's pretty dark although the plot will get complicated. The twist in the manga was a pretty big mindfuck.

As for Hero Academia I just couldn't get into it for some reason. I can see why others love it but for me it just felt too generic.

pbayne

Kaichou wa-Maid Sama is, quite honestly, one of the worst shoujo I ever seen.

I don't find that hard to believe.

Rainbow Days 20

This on the other hand was good shoujo. Next week can't come soon enough.

DJ Tonkatsu 8

Lol what age is Agetarou supposed to be? He looks over like "curse those young people" and he dosen't seem to go to school either.

From the shounen I have read: DBZ, Naruto and Bleach, he is notably the worst shounen protagonist. So lame that its almost cringeworthy at times.

I was interested in the concept but the cast killed it for me, especially the MC and the guy with the superiority complex.

what

Yh i think FTs art was real good for a weekly series. I dont think Hiro has many assistants as well.

If you guys want a quick glimpse of how Deku changes heres 3 different panels from beginning middle and near the end of the manga right now

Obvious spoilers, but i know most of this thread aint watching so
http://i.imgur.com/pdForV5.jpg

Eumi

I think my main problem with Deku is I kinda don't feel he deserves the power he's given. Like, the whole idea is that he's powerless in a world of superpowers, but then he just gets given what is shown to us to be the best superpower. He had to train hard to be able to use it but that was only after he was told he'd be getting it. Everyone else was naturally talented but they seemed to work harder with what they got and earned their place in the academy, whilst Deku was told to go do some body building and then just handed what kinda felt like a free pass. I'm sure as the manga goes on Deku grows to be his own person and such but initially he just felt like exactly the opposite of what I would want the protagonist to be.

It is softened by the fact that he's adorable as heck though.

Narag

Space Battleship Yamato 7

GHh3mxgl.jpg
rlTxyiSl.png

Of interest here is Kodai making the call in 2199 that Okita did in the '74 series. The reason Okita did was Pluto had indigenous life on it. That wouldn't fly today though and I know it caused endless arguments in this thread since blowing up Pluto seemed like the safe (read: sane) choice to some. Past the wanton use of atomic weapon parallels, it seems in the end it was storytelling conceit in place in 2199. They didn't use the wave motion cannon in 2199 because they didn't use it in the '74 series.

mv8EYTDl.jpg
ZaOkgGal.png

MpkxWBQl.jpg
CUzHD21l.jpg

kGRGNmtl.jpg
J3o4xWEl.png

maNcUsEl.jpg
gFmL52wl.jpg

L: Yamato TV ep 7, R: 2199 ep 5

QGBMjoel.jpg

Some of the art is so detailed too.

Also of interest this ep was the wave motion cannon discussion as mentioned above and how once again elements of the '74 series were rolled into one another. This time the satellite reflector cannon being what launched the planet bombs in 2199 by igniting and propelling meteors. Rather than its own distinct weapon, it's re-purposed here to combat the Yamato as it approached the Pluto base.

javac

Aku no Hana is a masterpiece, the first time I heard the ED I was shook, the audio in that show is killer. I should read the manga because we're obviously never going to get a second season ha.

I think my main problem with Deku is I kinda don't feel he deserves the power he's given. Like, the whole idea is that he's powerless in a world of superpowers, but then he just gets given what is shown to us to be the best superpower. He had to train hard to be able to use it but that was only after he was told he'd be getting it. Everyone else was naturally talented but they seemed to work harder with what they got and earned their place in the academy, whilst Deku was told to go do some body building and then just handed what kinda felt like a free pass. I'm sure as the manga goes on Deku grows to be his own person and such but initially he just felt like exactly the opposite of what I would want the protagonist to be.

That's because all his other training for becoming a hero was studying what all the other heroes did and taking notes on them. He didn't have powers, but he did have knowledge, which he constantly puts into practice. Right now, One for All is his last resort move and he's constantly relying on that knowledge to pull through.

Eumi

That's because all his other training for becoming a hero was studying what all the other heroes did and taking notes on them. He didn't have powers, but he did have knowledge, which he constantly puts into practice. Right now, One for All is his last resort move and he's constantly relying on that knowledge to pull through.

That really didn't come across in what I read, but that sounds dope as hell and probably a ton of fun. Which then comes back around to wishing the anime would have adapted more, I guess.

Kyuur

People have an irrational hatred of perceived 'whiny' protagonists. Shinji and Simon got shit on a ton because of it too, and I think they're fantastic protagonists. Haters gonna hate.

I just had a quick exchange on Twitter with a fellow gaffer, adding them as friends on MAL. I have just realized I only have 10 people on my account. I am going on an adding spree to get you all, but if I can't find you add me here. I use MAL quite often and I enjoy seeing what everyone is watching.

Evangelion rewatch - 10

Misato is so fucked up. Sends Asuka deeper into the lava trench, far beyond any appropriate safety measurements, just to then have some lighthearted small talk. ... and then sends her even further into danger

You can't be the ruthless superior to someone and also attempt to serve as this friendly, warm parent figure. Not like she does the latter part well to begin with. And she wonders why Shinji isn't more easy going with her, tsktsk.

I like Deku enough to ignore he's pretty much a wish fulfillment character. (Not that there really is anything inherently wrong with that.)

I mean, he's a nerd who we know is ultimately going to be the greatest hero ever, and he's probably gonna get the cute girl and show up his dickbag rival in the process.

Jarmel

Banned
MHA-9

Good lord the art direction and character animation in this is flat as fuck. I understand it's animation but they didn't even try.

They're totally going to fuck up the later scenes too. Really starting to wonder whether Gundam Build Fighters was a fluke on Nagasaki's part.

Deku doesn't have the best quirk. Hell I'm not sure it's a best five currently.

So looking through Anichart, these seem to be the ones that peeked my interest:

- Taboo Tattoo
- 91days
- BATTERY
- Danganronpa 3 (pls be good)
- Handa-kun
- Mob Psycho 100
- Orange
- ReLife
- Soma S2 (!!!!)

Seems like a huge list, plus the Spring leftovers. But am I missing anything "big" that I may enjoy, based on impressions and stuff of mine on here?

FML 3 weeks?! I thought it was just gonna be last week...

DiGiKerot

Anime Limited just announced that they have The Tatami Galaxy. Blu-ray in the works.

<_<

I should probably say, I asked Jeremy whilst he was sticking that up their wall'o licenses specifically if it was hitting BD, and he said something along the lines of "we hope so but don't quote us on that just yet".

We are basically only getting a new Re:Zero episode on the 12th of June. Like, are you kidding me?? For TENNIS of all things?! Heck the Euro is starting around that time too, if it was for that I would have allowed it.

Ascheroth

We are basically only getting a new Re:Zero episode on the 12th of June. Like, are you kidding me??

What? No. We got one last week and we'll get one today as well.
Just a couple hours later.

MHA-9

Good lord the art direction and character animation in this is flat as fuck. I understand it's animation but they didn't even try.
They should have just had Horikoshi draw the cut-off right side and just use that panel as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom