• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Beyond the Boundary 2
ZKSgEu1.png
MtORbDe.png
It's almost like the show is just a series of consecutive mood swings. Blood and high tension on one scene, then the main guy keeps promoting his glasses fetish. A mysterious guy makes his debut and there's something fishy with his attitude, the scene turns to BL. A powerful spirit that killed many warriors will appear soon, it's time for cat girls and cat puns. I really don't know what to feel like and I have no idea if this is supposed to be serious or not. The comedy and the two mains feel really unnatural.

The action is top notch though!

Cornbread78

Kill Me Baby ep.4
Popsicle lottery is serious business;same for watermelon splitting, lol. Also, assassins don't stand a chance against Sonya.

Ascheroth

Getter Robo Armageddon 1-13 (End)

Well, that was certainly something.
Something AWESOME *_*

The change in staff after the 3rd episode was clearly noticable and the middle part is exactly the most 'meh' of this show (although it does still have a ton of awesome robot action). It does meander a while but slowly builds up momentum again until it gets back into its groove, which culminates into the last third of the show, which is nothing short of amazing.

I love the designs of basically everything. The Invaders and how they're constantly transforming are a sight to behold, as are the robots and how they're constantly transforming and also Shin Dragon and how it's constantly transforming.
Just great.

I do admit that I'm still a bit lost plot-wise (especially wtf Saotomes plan was), but that is a minor thing in the grand scheme of awesome robot action.

And Shin Dragons last forms basic form is basically Uzahra from G, right? Awesome.

Exalted

Re:Zero Episode 9

What a great episode, finally something new happened in this loop, the action was superb, and it looks like Subaru finally made some progress. But as always Subarus life is suffering.

Here's my summer watch list:

Show by Rock Short
Amanchu?
Orange
Sweetness and Lightning
Battery
Nejimaki Seirei Senki??
91 Days
Mob Psycho 100
Days
D.Gray-man Hallow?
Kono Bijutsu-bu ni wa Mondai ga Aru
ReLIFE
Saiki Kusou no Psi Nan

After a terrible record of 1 out of 3 this season, maybe it is BONES that has betrayed me...

Ha ha. Well, I don't trust "Bones" but I trust Tachikawa/Kameda/Kawai/the PVs.

What is the good Bones show this season?

Concrete Revolutio

Is there a chance that Studio Citrus is adapting Handa-kun?

What are they currently working on?

Kinema Citrus is doing

Kumamiko
Yuyushiki special
Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume

Not giving it justice is putting it lightly. Horikoshi's art is really good and the anime fails to give it any sort of bearing.

The My Hero Academia anime is shamefully wasting Umakoshi. It's worse than Saint Seiya Omega.

DER FILM!!!!!!!!! (AKA Girls und Panzer der Film)

Drama was meh, but who the fuck is watching this for the drama. I enjoyed this movie alot and here's some points I've noticed jotted down here:

- Moar moe and moar tanks and moar moe in tanks!!! Girls und Panzer is one of the few (if not the only) shows to be a full-on moe show that I enjoy (because tanks and girls in the tanks, doing tank stuff).
- Finnish team got good music and their battle was awesome
- Chihatan high school team (the ones who wanted to charge alot) I felt had some story/plot I missed (prolly within the OVAs I didn't watch) as their part was focused as much as the teams from the OG series.
- Small tank on roller coaster lawl
- Even though the drama is absurd I got feels when Katyusha
lost her teammates 1 by 1
, must've been the rain.
- Italian team stereotyped with Italian food, Japan you silly.
- Really nice to hear the Katyusha folk song again even if without the lyrics
would've been awesome with the lyrics though

Getter Robo Armageddon 1-13 (End)

Well, that was certainly something.
Something AWESOME *_*

The change in staff after the 3rd episode was clearly noticable and the middle part is exactly the most 'meh' of this show (although it does still have a ton of awesome robot action). It does meander a while but slowly builds up momentum again until it gets back into its groove, which culminates into the last third of the show, which is nothing short of amazing.

I love the designs of basically everything. The Invaders and how they're constantly transforming are a sight to behold, as are the robots and how they're constantly transforming and also Shin Dragon and how it's constantly transforming.
Just great.

I do admit that I'm still a bit lost plot-wise (especially wtf Saotomes plan was), but that is a minor thing in the grand scheme of awesome robot action.

And Shin Dragons last forms basic form is basically Uzahra from G, right? Awesome.

Now watch Shin Getter V.S. Neo Getter. :)

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Episode 9 – The Meaning of Courage

Can we please not start this arc over again.

Though it didnt even address the main question
who or why is someone after him, the puppy master is no where to be found

Unless the upcoming fights look insane, I can't even say he's been that much of a benefit. The initial two episodes had his style but that's been it.

Even in the first episode, I was less than impressed with the character art. Perhaps the worst looking show out of any show with Umakoshi designs that I've seen.

MHA and Sakamoto are the biggest two disappointments of the season when it comes to quality of the adaption. The one positive of today's MHA episode was the lack of wasting the first 1-2 minutes on showing scenes from the previous episode.

Steins Gate 14

So
Suzuha was John Titor all along, well it makes sense considering how knowledgeable she was.

Poor Okabe just never gets a break. The time leap is really just breaking him.

Here's my summer watch list:

Show by Rock Short
Amanchu?
Orange
Sweetness and Lightning
Battery
Nejimaki Seirei Senki??
91 Days
Mob Psycho 100
Days
D.Gray-man Hallow?
Kono Bijutsu-bu ni wa Mondai ga Aru
ReLIFE
Saiki Kusou no Psi Nan

Are you not watching Handa-kun?

Jarmel

Banned
Didn't MHA start production pretty late?

Troubled production?

No, this isn't a production issue persay. We're not missing frames or characters are melting.

It's that the art director is garbage and the staff aren't really trying to excel. It's barely competent and that's it.

Are you not watching Handa-kun?

I haven't even watched all of Barakamon; I'm not going to care about a high school spinoff when we don't even know the staff.

Yeah I don't know how you can go that low.

I mean it's Omega we're talking about lol.

Saint Seiya Omega had several standout episodes where Umakoshi's oversight of the animation really shined. My Hero Academia is just a constant mediocrity.

Animegaf hating like no tomorrow lol. Hating it is one thing but you guys are treating it like it's the most awful thing ever.

I mean comparing it to omega! Hyperbole much.

For my part I find the animation and the artstyle to be amazing. Its pretty much the adaptation i wanted.

Re:Zero ep 9

That was likely the end of the arc I bet. Much like the first arc, how he passed out when he finally completed it. Also, that is long enough for this arc, and a good ending ep for it. Except he didn't make any plans for a date with Emilia :( Ruined

Also, Betty has moved up some tiers with those reactions.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
ReZero was incredible again. King of the cliffhangers.

For people complaining, this seems to be what the show is. So drop it if you don't like shows with great stories, characterization, and art! It always moves forward, even if it's technically not forward in time. I feel like Subaru is going to survive this one though. These events aren't unauthentically repeatable ie via respawn.

KraytarJ

Re: Zero 09
Show of the season keeps getting better on the back of the arc that never ends. Although I will say the situation involving Subaru and the jealous witch is very intriguing. First Emilia calls herself Satella during his first "life" (this could simply be Emilia deliberately trying to misdirect him and be a way for her to opt out of the whole royalty deal by looking nuts, or something more could be there). Then there's the mabeast puppy that is only aggressive towards Subaru, followed by more mabeasts laying a trap for Subaru to find. And of course the whole scent issue. Anyways, looking forward to next episode as I always am regardless of whether or not Subaru hit another "checkpoint".

pbayne

Animegaf hating like no tomorrow lol. Hating it is one thing but you guys are treating it like it's the most awful thing ever.

For my part I find the animation and the artstyle to be amazing. Its pretty much the adaptation i wanted.

lol pretty much. I have no opinion on it one way or another but i can't even really understand why people dislike it so much at times. It's like it drowned a sack of puppies the level of hate it gets at times lol.

I still pretty iffy on Koe no Katachi being a movie instead of your standard anime TV series, so much shit to cram in in the span of ~2 hours.

I foresee every side character being cut/severely reduced. Just focus on the main couple,

T-Rex.

Banned
lol pretty much. I have no opinion on it one way or another but i can't even really understand why people dislike it so much at times. It's like it drowned a sack of puppies the level of hate it gets at times lol.

I foresee every side character being cut/severely reduced. Just focus on the main couple,
The same thing kinda happened with OPM as well.

Risette

A Good Citizen

If it was the most awful thing ever it would be interesting at least. MHA is just a mediocre waste of time.

T-Rex.

Banned
RE:Zero 9

Farewell, Ashen One.. he didn't get to the bonfire. I doubt he's actually dead this time though, Emilia's prayer will probably come into effect and save his life somehow.

Steins Gate 15

So now they're rebuilding
the time machine so Suzuha can go back in time and retrieve the IBN.

Hmm I don't know why but I feel like Suzuha and Hashida are related in some way.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
RE:Zero 9

Farewell, Ashen One.. he didn't get to the bonfire. I doubt he's actually dead this time though, Emilia's prayer will probably come into effect and save his life somehow.
Oh yeah, that's a good call. Was trying to think of his way out on this go around.

Cornbread78

MHA ep.9
Nice to have an episode not focused around just Deku with not a big moment to dramatize, lol. At least he picked the
politician kid to be
class rep, which was a good call, lol. Next week should be very interesting though.

Inazuma Eleven Go vs. Danball Senki W Movie

CjMbfTRUkAAEGgQ.jpg:large

hey they said the shounen thing

Well...it's a crossover. Let me throw this out there that I LOVE crossover stuff. Shows where you see characters from other shows interacting with each other. These things are just so rare, and fun to watch for me. I'd probably love the Project X Zone games if the gameplay didn't get so boring.

So, the movie's about the worlds of the two titular series being merged together and vanishing because of a young girl and her two brother's space-time shenanigans.

So despite the title, the two franchises of this movie don't actually fight (aside from one scene but it's a really minor and quick thing that doesn't go anywhere). Honestly, the final battle has the heroes from both franchises separated from each other fighting separate villains with their own craft. You only see them actually working together right at the very end for one thing before the movie's over.

You'd think they'd be a bit more creative with this. Like have the tiny toy robots play soccer like some kind of robotic Rocket League. Or have the soccer players get some LBX of their own for the final battle.

But no. Honestly, I feel like you could replace Inazuma Eleven in this movie with something like Majin Bone and the story would have been the same. Oh well.

Focusing more on the Danball Senki side of things, I'm glad I watched this before watching episode 43
as I'm assuming that the Achilles and Odin upgrades are here to stay.
The LBX battles in this movie were still great as expected of the series.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie as a Danball Senki fan, but as a fan of crossover stuff, I feel like movie could have done much more.

By the way, I should mention that I didn't watch any of Inazuma Eleven before this, but after watching this movie, I kinda want to even more than I did before.

This isn't just a soccer anime. This is a soccer anime where things like this happen:

Yeah.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Deku is fantastic. He's one of the best Shonen protagonist currently. Thought that during the early parts of MHA as well.

Though if you don't like Deku then it's no surprise MHA doesn't work for you. It relies pretty heavily on Deku being a character you want to root for.
I guess this is what makes MHA so confusing for me. I really am just at a loss as to the appeal of Deku. He doesn't really have much of a history. He has no significant familial ties or friendships. There's not a lot going on there emotionally or intellectually, and his goals are simple minded. The vulnerabilities that he does have seem like concessions created to let a very general population have an easier time relating to the character.

At this point, MHA is just legitimately bad. Hideous stylistically, plodding beyond any reasonable measure, and ground up into what is basically baby food. The show expects the viewer to be so helpless that you regularly see flashbacks to events that occurred just minutes earlier in the episode. MHA probably has some of the worst layout and color work I've seen on a show this season. Bones should be ashamed.

Taruranto

Super Tora #4

That fucking face keeps freacking me out. You know, that one. You can probably guess why.

Anyway, this season isn't doing for me. Maybe it's because of the split-cour, but it feels like there is no sense of progression, no pacing, like the author is vomiting every plot point after another.

Fantasy racism #7

Kiku...

At this point, MHA is just legitimately bad. Hideous stylistically, plodding beyond any reasonable measure, and ground up into what is basically baby food. The show expects the viewer to be so helpless that you regularly see flashbacks to events that occurred just minutes earlier in the episode. MHA probably has some of the worst layout and color work I've seen on a show this season. Bones should be ashamed.

Personally, I think the way MHA is structured and paced, it really doesn't work as an anime, especially a 24 episodes one. The series is basically "long running shounen", basically every arc so far has been a training arc. I remember lamenting the issue before the anime aired too.

Super Tora #4

That fucking face keeps freacking me out. You know, that one. You can probably guess why.

Anyway, this season isn't doing for me. Maybe it's because of the split-cour, but it feels like there is no sense of progression, no pacing, like the author is vomiting every plot point after another.

Fantasy racism #7

Kiku...
Probably more the results of the massive cuts necessary to make a 36 volume manga into a 39 episode anime.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Personally, I think the way MHA is structured and paced, it really doesn't work as an anime, especially a 24 episodes one. The series is basically "long running shounens", basically every arc so far has been a training arc. I remember lamenting the issue before the anime aired too.
It's not even worth questioning how difficult it is to adapt the source material when the production is a failure on so many basic levels. Also, the show is only running for thirteen episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom