• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do they never say how old is Raimu? It seems that she's been around for many years given that she was best friends with the current Principal of the school.
I may be misremembering, but even the principal called her "sempai" in the flashbacks so she was already older than them back then.

No one seems to notice that she just stuck around. lol

Line_HTX

I may be misremembering, but even the principal called her "sempai" in the flashbacks so she was already older than them back then.

No one seems to notice that she just stuck around. lol

You're right, she did call her that in the flashbacks.

I doubt anyone cares because she turned to the backstretch in a ball of fire and crossed the finish line flipping over.

The Stig has no age in Top Gear on the BBC to make it easy to keep swapping drivers, I'm guessing they're riffing on that by taking it literally as it's clear the Raimu the principal knew when she was in high school is still the same Raimu now.

Line_HTX

That in itself is a reference to GBF airing during Gundam's 35th anniversary, so he's even moreso the spirit of Gundam. Take that!

godot-deskslam-mug.gif

Nebulous? There's nothing nebulous about the setting of Kiznaiver, which has been made painstakingly clear. Unless you were hoping to get a detailed "scientific" explanation of how the Kizna system works.

Not scientific persay, more of rational/logical requirement. All we know is that the Kiznaiver experiments goal of connecting emotions is to achieve world peace due to people (when connected) obviously not to hurt one another/themselves. I call bullshit on that as how would that logistically work? Would people volunteer or would they be forced to be subjected to said experiment?

So that's the setting established and I'm already having cognitive dissonance but then the show's focus is on teenage melodrama which isn't bad in itself (as I both enjoyed SNAFU and Kokoro Connect) but then why put up the serious setting of the Kizna experiment in the first place if we are focusing on teenage crap.

Rainy

Banned
Tanaka-kun 9

Cute episode. Saya's design reminds me of a girl from Idolmaster, forgot which though.
Want McDonalds now though.

Aki-at

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 18

Well I saw that coming
I even thought Roy was going to use pig's skin to duplicate Ross' body.

Theonik

Not scientific persay, more of rational/logical requirement. All we know is that the Kiznaiver experiments goal of connecting emotions is to achieve world peace due to people (when connected) obviously not to hurt one another/themselves. I call bullshit on that as how would that logistically work? Would people volunteer or would they be forced to be subjected to said experiment?

So that's the setting established and I'm already having cognitive dissonance but then the show's focus is on teenage melodrama which isn't bad in itself (as I both enjoyed SNAFU and Kokoro Connect) but then why put up the serious setting of the Kizna experiment in the first place if we are focusing on teenage crap.
Kino's Journey addresses the folly of this plan quite well in an early episode. But I digress.

Ascheroth

But isn't the premise also that the entire project was discontinued because it didn't work out and now Yamada and Urushii are exactly experimenting on the seven to prove that it does work?

Mayoiga - 10

Lol, I enjoy the show for the most part but the whole
lack of emotional scars cause rapid aging
is funny. Eh whatever, we've established what Nanaki is I suppose, fast-forward back to the village plz.

Re: Zero - 10

I swear if we get another time loop reset... but thankfully it looks like it's not going to do that. Frankly, I feel that this episode (and the next) are just adding unnecessary challenges. Subaru completes the main problem and also establishes a good relationship with Rem and Ram? Nah, throw in another problem on top of that to prolong the arc for whatever reason. I mean the original goal, as it was established at the beginning of the arc, has been accomplished, why the extra fluff?

My issues aside, the episode was surprisingly enjoyable as Ram is established as best girl out of the twins and Subaru uses his wit and abuses the meta regarding his curse, was nice to see.

Kiznaiver - 09

As stated previously I enjoy this show but I also have problems with it. However, this episode really pinpointed what my main beef with this show is: I simply don't like Katsuhira or Sonozaki, nor do I enjoy the show's emphasis/focus on these two. When Katsuhira was finally exposing a slimmer of emotion I felt nothing because for the previous 8 episodes it was like teaching a full grown ass man (yeah I know he's a teenager but still) how to fucking walk/speak/read, in this case experience emotions. Sonozaki, on the other hand, still remains as the mysterious person archetype and on top of that she is also embodies the childhood friend/crush trope.

I feel that teenage melodrama works if we have characters that actually go through the cycles of emotions which Katsuhira and Sonozaki don't have. It's why I really like all the other side characters (purple hair guy included) more than these two (and probably the reason why I'm watching this show in the first place). I don't know whether it's brilliant or stupid that the show stated from the beginning that lacking emotion/reaction to stimulus will result in negative reactions (ie people have a need to impart their own feelings on one another) but I'll go with the former and say bravo to the writing for making me feel genuinely angry whenever Katsuhira/Sonozaki is involved, still doesn't excuse me getting angry in of itself however.

Onto the episode itself, the ending scene was great and the music only heightened its drama, really enjoyed that.

NeonZ

MHA is a big hit and runs in WSJ. It's never getting finished in anime because it's gonna run super long in original form.

The anime isn't really doing well in either ratings or disc preorders though. Maybe they'll attempt an adaptation by a different staff, but I doubt the current anime has much future. At best, you'd get one of those "2nd cours planned from the start but only announced after the final episode for 3 or 6 months later".

Sterok

Sailor Moon Crystal S3 10

You know, this would be a good time for Sailor Saturn and Chibi-Moon to fight Mistress 9 inside her mind. You know, to show Saturn off without going through the whole planet busting thing. I think I liked Tomoe better in the first anime where he wasn't just an evil scientist. The Inners once again prove that they'd be more useful sitting on the sidelines twiddling their thumbs.

But isn't the premise also that the entire project was discontinued because it didn't work out and now Yamada and Urushii are exactly experimenting on the seven to prove that it does work?

This just makes Yamada, Urushii, and Sonozaki look like idiots which would be fine as Yamada is also portrayed as an idiot within the show, but not the latter two as they are portrayed to be more "serious-mode" which in reality, they are fucking idiots. Because whether or not the experiment "works", it's a logistical nightmare to actually apply it on a world-scale which the experiment's goal is to do.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mayoiga - 10

Lol, I enjoy the show for the most part but the whole
lack of emotional scars cause rapid aging
is funny. Eh whatever, we've established what Nanaki is I suppose, fast-forward back to the village plz.

I swear if we get another time loop reset... but thankfully it looks like it's not going to do that. Frankly, I feel that this episode (and the next) are just adding unnecessary challenges. Subaru completes the main problem and also establishes a good relationship with Rem and Ram? Nah, throw in another problem on top of that to prolong the arc for whatever reason. I mean the original goal, as it was established at the beginning of the arc, has been accomplished, why the extra fluff?

My issues aside, the episode was surprisingly enjoyable as Ram is established as best girl out of the twins and Subaru uses his wit and abuses the meta regarding his curse, was nice to see.

Kiznaiver - 09

As stated previously I enjoy this show but I also have problems with it. However, this episode really pinpointed what my main beef with this show is: I simply don't like Katsuhira or Sonozaki, nor do I enjoy the show's emphasis/focus on these two. When Katsuhira was finally exposing a slimmer of emotion I felt nothing because for the previous 8 episodes it was like teaching a full grown ass man (yeah I know he's a teenager but still) how to fucking walk/speak/read, in this case experience emotions. Sonozaki, on the other hand, still remains as the mysterious person archetype and on top of that she is also embodies the childhood friend/crush trope.

I feel that teenage melodrama works if we have characters that actually go through the cycles of emotions which Katsuhira and Sonozaki don't have. It's why I really like all the other side characters (purple hair guy included) more than these two (and probably the reason why I'm watching this show in the first place). I don't know whether it's brilliant or stupid that the show stated from the beginning that lacking emotion/reaction to stimulus will result in negative reactions (ie people have a need to impart their own feelings on one another) but I'll go with the former and say bravo to the writing for making me feel genuinely angry whenever Katsuhira/Sonozaki is involved, still doesn't excuse me getting angry in of itself however.

Onto the episode itself, the ending scene was great and the music only heightened its drama, really enjoyed that.

He converted Rem into a full-on fangirl, there's no way they're going for another reset.

Baliis

What's your AOTS so far

Kiznaiver for me.

Only really watching Kiznaiver and Ace Attorney, but I'm really really digging Kiznaiver.

I also started watching JoJo from episode one because I've never seen it before and loved the 5 episodes or so that I've seen now, though that's not really this season

Ascheroth

Technically this is a new arc already. The mansion time loop has been very obviously resolved for good now. We're now dealing with the aftermath, which is its seperate thing and I find it extremely unlikely that those last 2 episodes will be reset.

This just makes Yamada, Urushii, and Sonozaki look like idiots which would be fine as Yamada is also portrayed as an idiot within the show, but not the latter two as they are portrayed to be more "serious-mode" which in reality, they are fucking idiots. Because whether or not the experiment "works", it's a logistical nightmare to actually apply it on a world-scale which the experiment's goal is to do.

Urushii does seem to have second thoughts and Sonozaki is a huge black box either way.
Anyway, even in real life science does not usually start with the thought "how am I going to apply my results on a world-wide scale after I have them?"
First you have to have those results.

What's your AOTS so far

Kiznaiver for me.

Jojo for me.

As usual, I get busy with the season and end up only following around one show. I'm way behind on MHA and Ace Attorney due to negative reception, though the latter I've skipped to the later episodes where the show has slowly but steadily improving.

Haven't seen Kiznaiver yet and I've been experiencing Re:Zero through spoilers, so I can't exactly rank those, haha.

As for Flying Witch, I'll get back to that later when I'm in the mood for some more calm and cool stuff.

Kabaneri I'm not watching because there is no way I'm subbing to Amazon Prime zombie shows aren't my kinda thing.

As for Kuromukuro, I'll probably check that out later as well. Not a fan of the mecha designs, but I hear the character interaction and the fish-out-of-water aspect of the story is some good stuff.

Urushii does seem to have second thoughts and Sonozaki is a huge black box either way.
Anyway, even in real life science does not usually start with the thought "how am I going to apply my results on a world-wide scale after I have them?"
First you have to have those results.

True, but then the whole setting of the Kizna experiment being applied on a worldwide scale is rather pointless no? Why even include that, we could've easily had some mad scientist group/company be the cause of the experiment (akin to Zankyou no Terror) instead of having plot strings to world governments that ultimately serve no purpose.

Ascheroth

True, but then the whole setting of the Kizna experiment being applied on a worldwide scale is rather pointless no? Why even include that, we could've easily had some mad scientist group/company be the cause of the experiment (akin to Zankyou no Terror) instead of having plot strings to world governments that ultimately serve no purpose.

You're right.
I honestly haven't taken the "apply it on a worldwide scale" that seriously. I think that's just a sales pitch, a moral justification to do those experiments while the actual goal might be something a bit different. I don't trust Yamada to be a 'good' guy and there are still things about the experiment we haven't heard yet.

The Flowers of Evil 06

It takes me an hour to watch an episode of this because I gotta keep pausing. itssodense.avi

I curse a lot. I curse so much that I don't really think about it. But I think the way Nakamura curses in this show is effective. Maybe it's the subs that are really doing it but usually when people swear in an anime or manga its just juvenile, but when Nakamura gets upset she starts to swear, a lot. It's how you can tell she wants something or wants someone to do something, is disappointed, etc. Nakamura is the complete opposite of Kasuga's mental image of Saeki, and to be fair, she really is the complete opposite of how Saeki actually acts.

But Kasuga then allots that onto Saeki, saying "There's no way she'd want to fuck. She'd never say something so vulgar." Well dude she didn't say that. Once again he's just protecting his own image of Saeki.

fIfU7aa.jpg
Ad9s3d8.jpg
lPHRi4v.jpg

Pictured - Saeki overlayed with something Nakamura said.

Kasuga even says that Saeki is the Virgin Mary. But because he's in a relationship with her, whether it's due to Saeki's naivety or personal hangups or whatever (I'm not sure thus far but I'm sure there's something wrong with her) he just feels vindicated and says stuff like -

gRA7TqX.jpg
xkpcpc8.jpg
cH9Xkye.jpg
Ns3RGTu.jpg

Really? Insulting her purity? Really? Really? You're the one daydreaming about her in lewd positions you asswipe

Kasuga takes Nakamura's goads as an insult. Like she isn't sexually attracted to him, which makes me wonder what the dude even wants out of this relationship besides to fulfill his gross mental image of his muse. Let's be real, Kasuga, Nakamura and Saeki are what, 15? 16? As crude as it is to say, Kasuga's obviously raging hormones should probably want to bang Saeki. Kasuga doesn't really even consider how Saeki feels about this. About anything. He's perfectly content with her living up to his projected image. It's disgusting. He's like the textbook perfect example of only wanting a woman because she's beautiful/ideal/popular and only wants her because of what she stands for, not who she actually is, nor does he care about that because his pathetic fragile mental image is just substituting for all of that. He's more delusional then Tenjou Utena.

Gross. Eck. Need a shower.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Luluco > Tonkatsu DJ > Re: Zero > Phantom is Crusadable > Tanaka > Haifuri

jgminto

Tanaka-kun, Jojo, Kiznaiver, Tonkatsu DJ, Rakugo, Osomatsu, Gundam Tekketsu, Haikyuu, Luluco and I guessssss Gintama would be my AotY Top 10 in some order at the moment.

Edit: Actually Sakamoto would probably beat Gintama, I didn't particularly enjoy the most recent season.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Aku no Hana was one of the weirdest things I ever read. Did the anime end the same way as the manga?

Angry Grimace

Nah, cause they only got to adapt 1 cour worth of the story.

I mean, okay it wasn't Mawaru Penguindrum weird, but it was weird. If anything the last arc of Aku no Hana somehow came off even weirder than the rest of the series despite the fact it was from an objective standpoint not nearly as weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom