• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
4FRofVG.jpg
New key.

If I said Kiznaiver is so far one of my most enjoyable teenage drama anime since Hyouka, would I be crazy? I'd say it has the potential to top SNAFU in my books, simply because since this is original, I'll actually see its ending.

I enjoy Kiznaiver but I also have a lot of problems with it; comparing it to SNAFU is doing SNAFU a disservice imo. For one, SNAFU doesn't require some nebulous setting of some experiment on emotions for characters to interact meaningfully with each other. Kokoro Connect does the premise of connecting emotions/thoughts way better so far.

blurr

Oh yes, completely forgot about Kokoro Connect. While I won't say Kiznaiver's approach towards the setting is wrong/bad by any means, Kokoro Connect felt a lot more compelling for me.

You know, I actually prefer Kiznaiver's setting over Kokoro Connect but I can't say the same about the drama.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's because Macross is shit-tier. Don't know why you bother watching it lol.
Space planes. :(

But even the battles aren't that interesting since the villains have plot armor and nothing actually ever happens in them other than two dots with contrails zipping around for 2 minutes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, at best Alice is in this about as much as she was in the last season, certainly not "much" more.

Cornbread78

Sölf;205784197 said:
We get more of best girl Megumi, so all is well.

I like how Erina makes the key art despite not actually being in the tournament arc that's the key event of the season.

Ughh, why are they always trying to put Erina in the front of everyone? Here evil, tsundere, annoying ass need to go to the very back to make room for a real woman like Megumi.

Cornbread78

Also ReWrite debuts 7/2 with a 1 hour episode.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...emieres-on-july-2-with-1-hour-episode/.102855

New "Key" visual:

rewrite-kv.png.jpg

The software's voice cast is returning for the anime:

Masakazu Morita as Kotarō Tennōji
Chiwa Saito as Kotori Kanbe
Saya Shinomiya as Chihaya Ohtori
Eri Kitamura as Akane Senri
Keiko Suzuki as Shizuru Nanatsu
Risa Asaki as Lucia Konohana
Kana Hanazawa as Kagari

The anime will portray a "sixth" route left untold in the game, which will tell the story of "that girl."

Yesss.

I enjoy Kiznaiver but I also have a lot of problems with it; comparing it to SNAFU is doing SNAFU a disservice imo. For one, SNAFU doesn't require some nebulous setting of some experiment on emotions for characters to interact meaningfully with each other. Kokoro Connect does the premise of connecting emotions/thoughts way better so far.
I loved SNAFU and still think it's one of the best teenager dramas out there. The one thing that holds it back like I said is the fact that it's SUPER unfinished, leaving us with a huge cliffhanger that we may or may not see resolved, but that could very well only be in the next 5 years.

Kokoro Connect was also pretty good, but there were a few things in it that bugged me, so I don't hold the show up as high as some do here.

So yeah, the basic premise for me is that Kiznaiver may beat SNAFU due to it having a concrete ending (but will it?), and for being able to make me care as much as it did without resorting to anything too crazy with the whole Kizna experiment. We could have gotten a battle show just like it was mentioned on that Trigger interview, but what we got was 10x better. From a technical perspective such as direction, visuals, audio, etc, the show is some of the best too, keeping up (sometimes even getting better!) its quality throughout the entire season.

That's because Macross is shit-tier. Don't know why you bother watching it lol.

It's firehawk, who would rather watch Hundred than any good anime.

Nebulous? There's nothing nebulous about the setting of Kiznaiver, which has been made painstakingly clear. Unless you were hoping to get a detailed "scientific" explanation of how the Kizna system works.

Aki-at

Steins;gate - 2

The plot thickens, time distortion and Kyoma being able to perceive his original timeline, I'm enjoying his delusions of escaping from an imaginary organisation more though haha.

Speaking of Kyoma/crackpot scientist, the dub makes him sound like he's in his early 30s, he looks to be in his mid 20s buy I think he's meant to be a teenager IIRC or did I miss something?

Cornbread78

Steins;gate - 2

The plot thickens, time distortion and Kyoma being able to perceive his original timeline, I'm enjoying his delusions of escaping from an imaginary organisation more though haha.

Speaking of Kyoma/crackpot scientist, the dub makes him sound like he's in his early 30s, he looks to be in his mid 20s buy I think he's meant to be a teenager IIRC or did I miss something?

From MAL:

Rintarou Okabe (岡部 倫太郎)
Birthdate: December 14
Height: 177 cm (5'10")
Weight: 60 kg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qurupeke

From MAL:

Rintarou Okabe (岡部 倫太郎)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whaaaat.

I thought he was like 25+.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Re:Zero 9? 10?
More Puck is welcome.

Glad he didn't die yet.

I like that he's exploiting the mechanics of his gag order even if it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's that kind of thinking that's sorely missed in these stuck-in-a-vidya stories.

Cornbread78

Whaaaat.

I thought he was like 25+.

Kurisu Makise (牧瀬 紅莉栖)
Birthdate: July 25 (Leo)
Blood type: A
Height: 160 cm
Weight: 50 kg

Same age as Kurisu....

I thought he was older as well....

On a side note, I don't see it anywhere, but does anyone know where the Danmachi OVA that aired 6/3 is being streamed?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Anime ages = what you expect minus at least 10 years

Daily reminder that Brock from the Pokémon anime is only 17.

Kyuur

Joker Game 9

Fantastic end to the 2-parter. A couple of points of confusion and speculation: was the agent who got hired in the last episode not a D-Agency spy infiltrating to get a hold of their plans? That's what it felt like but with conflicting mottos and no confirmation maybe not. Additionally, at the end when
the antagonist commits suicide
, is he only doing it due to his personal failure or as a 'fuck you' to Yuuki based on their previous discussion about death spurring internal investigation?

Wonder if we'll get one final arc leading up to Pearl Harbor or another couple one-off stories. I firmly expect the series to end at that point.

Kiznaiver 9

The relationship stuff here feels kind of blunt after the masterful work they did with Maki's backstory, although I guess this is more teenage puppy love so it's expected to be a bit dumb. Show continues to stall on giving the full explanation for the
former Kiznaivers being 'broken'
. Maybe next episode. Great stuff visually and audibly as usual.

I was fully expecting an Evangelion-esque end game here, but the assurance that this doesn't run long-term kind of ruins that I guess. I don't know how our characters could expect to carry on normally after this hellish experiment though.

Kabaneri 8

They haven't managed to convince me that Onii-sama is a bad person yet, despite all the tells. Plot is a bit hard to swallow when you can't agree with the main character but I guess the rest of the cast is sort of in the same boat as the viewer to make it relate-able. I don't give a fuck if he was smiling when he executed someone trying to assassinate him.

The double-Kabaneri fight scene was absolutely breath taking. This show treats its female characters very well and its quite refreshing to see. Feels like whoever is directing / producing is fighting very hard against the typical tropes that make it into these kinds of shows.

Re:Zero 10

Weakest episode of the season yet. Felt like a complete retread of last week's episodes, which is impressive considering the entire premise is time loops and they have literally retread content before while keeping it fresh. The intricacies of the world's lore are better left as foot notes to the overall story. Hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

I did enjoy the exploitation of his situation though!

Hero Academia 10

Pacing issues definitely stuck out in this one with all the standard shonen troupes of enemies standing around for no particular reason (besides the one subset in the water) and our protagonists babbling on about their plans. There's really no excuse for this in a 12-episode adaptation. The style works well with Haikyuu because of the implication of play continuing in the background, not here.

Overall kind of an odd week for me, since usually Joker Game is the weakest of the bunch and Re:zero/Hero the highlight. Excited to start seeing more PVs for next season!

Cornbread78

I was thinking of posting another "preview" thread for the summer since it was pretty well received by non-community members. I just need to be warned if I miss anything like Super Lovers again.....

With that being said, IS anyone putting together an OT for any of the below shows:

Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara
Nanatsu no Taizai: Seisen no Shirushi
D.Gray-man Hallow
ReLIFE
Orange
Servamp
Handa-kun
91 Days
Tales of Zestiria the X
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! (would probably be a mass grave)
Taboo Tattoo
Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
Battery
Amanchu!

Only ones claimed thus far:

Rewrite - Cornbread
Mob Psycho 100 - Metroid
Berzerk - Tizoc

Aki-at

From MAL:

Rintarou Okabe (岡部 倫太郎)

I remember reading that, guy has some city miles already, wonder why they made him so young when he looks and acts much older than he is.

More shocking how light he is!

Taruranto

Straight people problems #9

Kacchan Kacchon, you fool! Women have "layers" and stuff, you can't just do that. Did you not watch Utena?

This said, everyone was praising this episode like the second coming of Ikuhara, but it was pretty MEH to me. I liked Maki arc because it added some depth to her character, but everyone else feels pretty flat so I'm not sure how much fuck I'm suppose to give about them. I even like Tenga "character", but when I think about it, what do I know about him?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I was thinking of posting another "preview" thread for the summer since it was pretty well received by non-community members. I just need to be warned if I miss anything like Super Lovers again.....

With that being said, IS anyone putting together an OT for any of the below shows:

You're missing the [factually] biggest show of next season: Love Live Sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom