• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, you gave it a chance and weren't feeling it, so I can't shout down at you or anything... but I honestly preferred Eupho to Hyouka. And I liked Hyouka a lot.

I agree. Euphonium really impressed me with how thorough its examination of music was and how comprehensive the character drama was.

I'm surprised you didn't really pick up that your reading of the show was totally incorrect...

Firehawk is very stubborn and narrow-minded, sadly.

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars(summer 2016) PV2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1v2phIeYsA

Ummm...yuri+mecha?

It looks ugly. I feel bad for people who are so desperate for new 2D mecha they'll take anything.

Wait how many mecha show coming this year?

Rebirth Storage(2016 June) trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2yJj-5VnuE

Huh, I did not know this existed (Anichart doesn't list it for some reason), but it looks interesting.

It's worth noting that this is just a one-off special, not an ongoing series.

duckroll

Breaking Bad - Season 1

If this were an anime it would probably rank higher on haly's dad-tier anime list than Hosoda's new movie. It's funnier too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I haven't watched Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Mad Men and whatever other popular American shows there are. Such is life without satellite or TV on demand services.

Ascheroth

It looks ugly. I feel bad for people who are so desperate for new 2D mecha they'll take anything.

It's in line with the promo art
RQ9JyD2.jpg
The composition is a mess.
It's worth noting that this is just a one-off special, not an ongoing series.

...Oh :(
Well at least Kuromukuro is still ongoing through summer.

It's in line with the promo art

The composition is a mess.

Oh, I know. Those colors look like someone just vomited onto the screen and called it a day.

I'll also remind people that Regalia is directed by the director of Infinite Stratos S2, a show that was so bad even diehard fans of Infinite Stratos S1 hated it.

Taruranto

So much hate for best girl Erina in here :( it ain't her fault your ships were set to fail from the beginning :'v

People who dislike Erina are probably Megumi fans, the kind of people who romance characters like Triss or Aerie instead of Viconia and Yennifer.

Boring people.

It looks ugly. I feel bad for people who are so desperate for new 2D mecha they'll take anything

Say what you will about the character designs, the designs of the robots look way cooler than say, Kuromukuro's mecha.

These things look like actual legit Super Robots.

I'll also remind people that Regalia is directed by the director of Infinite Stratos S2, a show that was so bad even diehard fans of Infinite Stratos S1 hated it.

Well, that was a harem LN adaptation! This is an anime original! Huge difference!

At the very least it looks a million times better than Cross Ange.

Well, now I'm eagerly awaiting Nintendoman's impressions. Keep that sacred flame of 2D mecha anime burning !

With Corvo not posting here anymore somebody's gotta test the waters for these shows and keep the genre relevant in here!

Ascheroth

Oh, I know. Those colors look like someone just vomited onto the screen and called it a day.

The colors are probably the least of its problems.
It's also WAY too busy, has no sense of space and there is nothing to lead your gaze.
I have no idea what I'm supposed to focus on.

Say what you will about the character designs, the designs of the robots look way cooler than say, Kuromukuro's mecha.

Kuromukuro isn't trying to be "super robot" in any way.

Well, that was a harem LN adaptation! This is an anime original! Huge difference!

At the very least it looks a million times better than Cross Ange.

OK, but people's biggest complaint about Infinite Stratos S2 was how incompetent the directing was, with completely nonsensical flow from scene to scene. A lack of sensible flow was also something I noticed in the director's episode of Rozen Maiden 2013. For your sake, I hope he's gotten better!

The colors are probably the least of its problems.
It's also WAY too busy, has no sense of space and there is nothing to lead your gaze.
I have no idea what I'm supposed to focus on.

I'm not saying it's a good illustration but the composition is a pretty clear S curve from blondie to the green robot. The brightness of the blue robot is lower than the other two so it doesn't distract too much, I assume. Colours are a mess though.

One other thing about Regalia: apparently all the pairs of girls featured in that trailer are sisters. So if it's also yuri as some people here are hoping, it'll be incest central.

Cornbread78

Euphonium S2 can't come soon enough.

KyoAni are saviors.

I'll watch it, but enjoy the yuri begging and madness that ensues on this board. The show itself is nowhere near as entertaining as that....

Just a reminder about the real summer yuri show:

Amanchu!:
A romantic look into the diving world from the angle of a group of high-schooler and their teacher, with some funny moments to boot.
If you liked Aria and a sweet slice of life is what you're looking for, then this is for you

As described by a member of the Manga community...

So yeah..

Ascheroth

I'm not saying it's a good illustration but the composition is a pretty clear S curve from blondie to the green robot. The brightness of the blue robot is lower than the other two so it doesn't distract too much, I assume. Colours are a mess though.

Well the first thing I notice when I look at it is the red robot in the back and then the green one and the character-curve and I don't know what I'm supposed to focus on more.
But maybe it's just me.

Breaking Bad is America's Hyouka.

not really, people love Breaking Bad and it's popular as hell in the US and Western World. It has infected our culture and revitalized the career of its lead. It's now considered by many among the best TV shows to ever come out.

Hyouka on the other hand is an obscure cult-hit that some of us love but nobody else gives a flying fuck about. Not even enough to bring it to the West because they know it won't sell.

Hyouka is more like an obscure cult classic that those that watch like, but it's near impossible to convince others to watch it and it's fairly unknown to the general masses.

So uh... Justified. Or in a movie's case, maybe Primer.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I kind of get where you're coming from since you saw the first half of it but no, that's not what the show was about. The later half is in contrast with K-On! by a good degree.
K-On (s2 anyway) was about people who would've been friends even without the band conceit, and the music is basically a reflection of their friendship. Eupho is a lot more of a drama which, at least to me, asked: what price music? To what degree can you, should you, be a individual? What do you want?
Fair enough. It just started in a very plain manner then, and looking pretty wasn't enough to get me to stay at the time.

Well, at least the part about being able to drive without the tracks in the first place was more or less correct, credits to the Christie suspension used in BT-7, the Soviet tank that forms the vehicle part of the BT-42. I guess the driving on one side was due to the mad rally skillz of Finns :p
I suppose the suspension is why they could make the first jump in the first place and not be dead from the shock of the landing too. And the pro rally skills indeed. lol

Breaking Bad - Season 1

If this were an anime it would probably rank higher on haly's dad-tier anime list than Hosoda's new movie. It's funnier too.
The funny thing is that Breaking Bad is shit compared to Better Call Saul. It's not even close.

I'll watch it, but enjoy the yuri begging and madness that ensues on this board. The show itself is nowhere near as entertaining as that....

Amanchu!:

So yeah..
No, it's not. :p
Somewhere, Mr. Jeff just died a little. lol

Firehawk is very stubborn and narrow-minded, sadly.
Says the guy who won't even watch Hundred~

Well Kuromukuro's mecha is something that looks ugly but when it start fighting it become pretty cool.

That said i will still looking for Regalia, let's see can the director become good this time, though the series composition of Regalia also not good lol.

So what shows are actually good this season? Or from the past season or so?

And which shows are tolerable?

I'm watching Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou, Kiznaiver (pretty bleh show), Luluco, Jojo.

Is Bunghole Stray Doges any good? Big Order? Rokka the braves?

Line_HTX

Lazy Admiral dog.

:p

I still haven't seen Stray Dogs and Big Order yet, but I didn't really enjoy Rokka and Six Heroes. I dunno, maybe if it had a longer run, then maybe I would look at it more.

From this season outside of what you're watching also give a watch to Tanaka-kun if you want a solid slice of life comedy. Then there's also Sakamoto-kun for a more wild comedy set in a high school if you want that.

As to what you listed:

Do NOT FOR THE LIFE OF EVERYTHING watch Big Order. It sucks so hardcore, it got boring.

Rokka the six braves was one of those surprises of the season that ended up being fairly good the season it came out, it started out as generic fantasy and ends up as an entertaining mystery of 'who dun it'. Give it a watch for sure

From this season outside of what you're watching also give a watch to Tanaka-kun if you want a solid slice of life comedy. Then there's also Sakamoto-kun for a more wild comedy set in a high school if you want that.

As to what you listed:

Do NOT FOR THE LIFE OF EVERYTHING watch Big Order. It sucks so hardcore, it got boring.

Rokka the six braves was one of those surprises of the season that ended up being fairly good the season it came out, it started out as generic fantasy and ends up as an entertaining mystery of 'who dun it'. Give it a watch for sure

Yeah I was shocked. BOrder has low reviews on CR and MAL. And those fucks will give like ANY fucking show a 7/10.

(BO is like 6.4 on MAL... lol)

My hero academia and Tanaka-kun is always listless are great!
As for thw show you ask for...
Stray dog is ok/good
big order is meh
Rokka is ok

blurr

My Hero Academia is what I would recommend.

CornBurrito sounds like a parody account on Cornbread :p

Also K-On reminded me @Jintor I remember you were asking about anime involving teachers, I sure as hell hope you watched Great Teacher Onizuka - it was a very influential show for me.

Kuromukuro isn't trying to be "super robot" in any way.

I understand that, but my point was how bland the main robot in that looks. How can I put it, it looks like the mecha equivalent of all those bland soldier dudes you see in many AAA shooters. The mecha itself just looks boring and uninteresting to me.

Regalia's robots have a much more colorful and cool flair, and I want to know what the story behind them is and what crazy things they're capable of from just looking at them. Those things get me excited.

OK, but people's biggest complaint about Infinite Stratos S2 was how incompetent the directing was, with completely nonsensical flow from scene to scene. A lack of sensible flow was also something I noticed in the director's episode of Rozen Maiden 2013. For your sake, I hope he's gotten better!

Well, it's been some time since that. I'm sure he must have improved by at least a little bit!

One other thing about Regalia: apparently all the pairs of girls featured in that trailer are sisters. So if it's also yuri as some people here are hoping, it'll be incest central.

Don't do this to me.

phaze

Bungou is an okay though very by the books battle series. I like it more then it probably "objectively" deserves to be liked but I find the most of the cast endearing and I feel that Igarashi's take on the humour and sometimes direction, elevate it to a little bit more than you'd expect from a mere plot synopsis. Check out first ep and see if the humour seems up your alley.

+1 for Tanaka though I felt it started getting good only from ep 3/4.

Amanchu!:
A romantic look into the diving world from the angle of a group of high-schooler and their teacher, with some funny moments to boot.
If you liked Aria and a sweet slice of life is what you're looking for, then this is for you

So yeah..
Amanchu! is a romantic look into the diving world the same way Bartender is a romantic look of the bar-tending job. It has nothing to do with yuri romance.

blurr

Right, but Naruto was once "just 13 episodes". But there's a difference I feel between shows paced for 12 episodes. And shows based for 600+. Unless it does rotating protagonists like Jojo.

Your call then.

It will probably feel sluggish but I think the pace was fitting.

?

Then maybe I'm confused. MHA isn't simply on episode 13 of a projected 400 episode run? It finished 1 cour that was planned for 13 episodes?

Because Naruto was at one point 13 episodes. The 13th week of its airing. But there's a difference between a show planned for 13 episode cours and one that happens to be on episode 13/980.

duckroll

?

Then maybe I'm confused. MHA isn't simply on episode 13 of a projected 400 episode run? It finished 1 cour that was planned for 13 episodes?

Because Naruto was at one point 13 episodes. The 13th week of its airing. But there's a difference between a show planned for 13 episode cours and one that happens to be on episode 13/980.

MHA is on episode 10 of a 13 episode run. There won't be any more MHA for at least another year on the same time slot because ain't no one got time for inferior shit shows from BONES when they can be airing more important stuff like Gundam in the Fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom