• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evangelion had really impressive fights. I loved how each Angel was vastly different from the last one, with every fight being very suspenseful with each method of attack being more relentless than the last.

pbayne

Clannad 17-20

I challenge anyone to watch that family picnic scene and not find it completely heart warming. Since the focus is squarely on the main couple now, i think the show has raised a few notches, as the progression has felt natural and has clearly all built to this point and Tomoya and Nagisa have great chemistry. The parents backstory was easily the best so far too, just for how simple but impactful it was.
Lol they kill off the harem in such a quick decisive way its actually hilarious. Kyou was best wingwomen though(except for that scene where "stuff" almost happened), she gave her sister every chance possible. And i really like Sunohara now, despite early writing him off as the punchline, joke guy he's really grown on me.

All you need now is a confession scene and it'll have a nice perfect end.

Qurupeke

Obviously the animation paired with that rough but detailed artstyle is the first thing that I thought of, but I already knew that. There's something else about it that makes it very different to the usual stuff. The way the characters speak, the chinese player, the main character...? I can't pinpoint it yet.

Woof I can't believe you, of all people on this thread, thought that my Breaking Bad comparison to Hyouka was real ahaha. Sure I don't joke often, but I like to dabble in on the fun every once in a while!

Don't watch episode 00 first as it will spoil things.

Watch it last after the main TV series.

Oh thanks for the tip I've been meaning to watch Kyousougiga.

I was going to ask if Haifuri was worth watching :( Bummer
I enjoy the characters and the naval battles use actual real world tactics and weapons in much the same way GuP does. Unfortunately the McGuffin that drives the plot is utter nonsense and every time it pops up in an episode it annoys me no end -
hamsters infect crews with a virus that makes them hyper aggressive but in an orderly ship crew kind of a way?

On the up side the McGuffin doesn't show up until episode 5 and the ship to ship combat until then is excellent. I'm still in on the strength of those fights and when the show is fighting it is at its best but every time the McGuffin returns I question myself.

Aki-at

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 19

Well that was a fairly detailed incineration scene. She just couldn't handle the heat.

If I'm going to be honest I'm fairly disappointed that Lust is the first of the deadly sins to kick the bucket but I kind of saw it coming.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Obviously the animation paired with that rough but detailed artstyle is the first thing that I thought of, but I already knew that. There's something else about it that makes it very different to the usual stuff. The way the characters speak, the chinese player, the main character...? I can't pinpoint it yet.
It was the most non-anime anime of the year. It's like anti-sports shounen.

Speaking of Evangelion, I re-watched the End of Evangelion and that Eva-02 fight has to be one of my favourite moment in anime ever. The music and the animation make that scene outstanding.

Qurupeke

Ping Pong The Animation 2-4
1DtuADZ.png
To be entirely honest, the first episode didn't do it for me. It wasn't bad, but I found it really hard to get into it, but still there was something really attractive about the show. Thankfully, I wasn't mistaken and the tournament episodes or the match with Wenge were actually awesome. The quick cuts, the monologues, the close ups, the art style, everything gives an insight on the psychology of the players during the match. Peco's arrogance, Wenge's anxiety, Smile's softness, they become really clear on their matches. It's actually pretty cool. I don't even like sports anime but this just doesn't seem that it has to do with the sport, but with the players. Ping Pong is just a story telling mean in it.

The Wenge-Kazuma match is the highlight of the show so far. The visuals were unreal and the music had such an imposing tone. There was a rising intensity on the match, and the climax paid off.

It was the most non-anime anime of the year. It's like anti-sports shounen.

These titles seem like a perfect fit to it.

Cornbread78

Full Metal Alchemist; B ep.18
b1e82d2a97.jpg

Colonel Mustang you crazy bastard. I take it back.... nice fighting scenes towards yo end, with Sloth showing up late, but that info on Winry's parents was rough.

Cornbread78

Hundred ep.10
Pretty tame overall, but it was purely set up for next week. Imouto can suddenly use a hundred as well and she is an idol now, lol.
And yes Hayato, those are the real deal that she can somehow hide even though, they made them like DD's...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Netoge Episode 7

Yo fuck MC lol. He's set up all the flags for worst girl. There is literally no way possible in a VN type route from here to end up with a harem end or best girl end.

1. Schew-chan Da Best. Rocking that CRT I see.
2. Rich girl
3. Ako

Don't get me wrong, Ako has an amazing AA body. She is delusional though. Meanwhile rich girl has an amazing AAA body and she is rich rich.

Netoge Episode 8

This was kind of neat to have the account stealing being front and centered from the episode. Thought rich girl was just going to have her connections find the guy and kill him lol. I almost regret that this isn't a "stuck in the fantasy world/mmo" show because those scenes in the game were pretty funny.

Cornbread78

Cerberus ep.10
2 very bad things this episode:
1) fuck you
Erin
you spieing douchbag; at least she's been outed finally.
2) The 300+ loli was back for a few scenes., can't they kill her off already!

Hard to imagine the story is pretty cool for such a cheap anime. Pretty unique stiff and I'm interested to see where they go with the last couple episodes. ..

Line_HTX

Netoge Episode 7

Yo fuck MC lol. He's set up all the flags for worst girl. There is literally no way possible in a VN type route from here to end up with a harem end or best girl end.

1. Schew-chan Da Best. Rocking that CRT I see.
2. Rich girl
3. Ako

Don't get me wrong, Ako has an amazing AA body. She is delusional though. Meanwhile rich girl has an amazing AAA body and she is rich rich.

Netoge Episode 8

This was kind of neat to have the account stealing being front and centered from the episode. Thought rich girl was just going to have her connections find the guy and kill him lol. I almost regret that this isn't a "stuck in the fantasy world/mmo" show because those scenes in the game were pretty funny.

"Mm-hmm." Kyou "Apricot" is more in tune with reality and is the best one out of the three.

Mm-hmm~

John Blade

G5.jpg

The MC, Kei Kurono, I don't really like him from this episode. Like he is an asshole person when you see him. it make sense when you found out more about him and his friend in those flashback. Weird he can see girls naked in his class (is that his imagination?) and tried to wack one like he don't care. Also, he can somehow heard what other people is thinking (is that his imagination or his special power?). A bit confuse there.

His friend, Masaru, is an interesting guy to watch for later on. Feel like he will manage to come out from what I can see right now. Didn't know if you die, you go to this room where other people is in it and look like from death. Other characters in the room is meh but the last one near the end, Kishimoto, is interesting to watch (not only she is naked and almost got raped from one of the person in the room).

No idea of what the sphere is and the end of the episode, it make some noise and get the attention of everyone to go back to the room. I guess this sphere is important for this entire show. Also, the gore scene is meh really. Nothing worst here to see. Overall, an okay start.

Evangelion had really impressive fights. I loved how each Angel was vastly different from the last one, with every fight being very suspenseful with each method of attack being more relentless than the last.

The one scene when Eva 01
goes Berserk and literally eats the Angel
is probably one of the scenes that got engraved in my brain when I was a child watching it.

Spoiler tag because there may be some folks who haven't watched yet, wouldn't want to spoil the shock factor.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
These titles seem like a perfect fit to it.
I guess to be a little more detailed about it, it's everything that makes me completely uninterested in Haikyuu or KuroBasket. The focus is on the characters and how they live their lives around the sport, not on the sport itself. It's not obsessed with devoting 5 episodes in detailing every single play of a single ping pong match. And I'll let you get to the end yourself, but the arc of these characters aren't your typical "shounen sports power up" arcs either.

The one scene when Eva 01
goes Berserk and literally eats the Angel
is probably one of the scenes that got engraved in my brain when I was a child watching it.

Spoiler tag because there may be some folks who haven't watched yet, wouldn't want to spoil the shock factor.

That's my favorite scene in the entire show.

One of the best aspects of mecha shows that I love is the sheer raw power and ferocity that giant robots exhibit, and Eva does that trope in its purest, most perfect form by showing just how much of a beast Eva 01 really is.

End of Evangelion still has the best mecha fight of all time with the MP-EVAs

That scene was spectacular but I would most definetly not call that my favorite mecha fight. A major highlight of the mecha genre, yes. But I can name like, at least three different shows that had better mecha fights in my opinion.

One other thing about Regalia: apparently all the pairs of girls featured in that trailer are sisters. So if it's also yuri as some people here are hoping, it'll be incest central.

ANN just posted the VA trailer, it seems only one of the pairings are sisters so hopefully we won't see any incest

Edit: It's the same trailer but they have details of the characters relationships to one another in the accompanying story

John Blade

Well....I kinda have an idea of what is happening. Look like all the people who are in the room are now solider to kill some sort of alien for the government which normal human can't see unless you're death. A very weird situation I have to say with this mission.

Would say they is quite a bit of gore stuff when they kill the small green alien and the big one (his dad) come out and fuck everyone up (look like the dead who got kill is now death for good). A very entertaining episode I have to say. Also, some more dialogue with the MC and his friend and the new girl. Look like they will be a good team from the look of it.

That's my favorite scene in the entire show.

One of the best aspects of mecha shows that I love is the sheer raw power and ferocity that giant robots exhibit, and Eva does that trope in its purest, most perfect form by showing just how much of a beast Eva 01 really is.

Yup I totally agree with you there. It was such a scary sight too. I remember being terrified and in shock when it happened.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist; B ep.19
FMAB+27.gif

Damn, that was brutal, but fry baby, fry... very satisfying! I just hope there's no asspull revival, buy I totally expect it at this point. The moment was very similar to the end of the minotaur x Bell fight in Danmachi.. pretty hype..

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FMAB+27.gif

Damn, that was brutal, but fry baby, fry... very satisfying! I just hope there's no asspull revival, buy I totally expect it at this point. The moment was very similar to the end of the minotaur x Bell fight in Danmachi.. pretty hype..
You can actually trust this show. It's one of the good things about it.

The World is Still Beautiful 2

Yeah, I don't think this is worth continuing. I complained about some of the gag moments in Yona of the Dawn, but that was nothing compared to the abrupt mood shifts that happened in this episode. I really can't take the drama as seriously as the show wants me to when it hits so hard so suddenly. There's just no grace in the direction.

Plus, I'm a little skeptical of rain so easily stopping a fire that's mostly raging inside a building.

Aki-at

Steins:Gate - 4

Man am I loving Kyoma and Christiana's interaction with each other, their squabbles bounce off so well off of each other. The card battle segment was ace too haha.

FMAB+27.gif

She got
killed off too early :(

Cornbread78

You can actually trust this show. It's one of the good things about it.

Good riddance. I didn't like that evil grin..

Steins:Gate - 4

Man am I loving Kyoma and Christiana's interaction with each other, their squabbles bounce off so well off of each other. The card battle segment was ace too haha.

She got
killed off too early :(

Enjoy the good times with the crew.

No, never too early to get rid of bad characters. ..

Aki-at

Enjoy the good times with the crew.

No, never too early to get rid of bad characters. ..

I'm pretty cool with harsh tonal shifts, I just hope the crackpot continues to be a crackpot.

And all I'm saying was
Envy should have gone down first for killing best guy, instead my two favourite sins kicked the bucket :(

Shergal

Go on and tell me how bad my taste is, but I liked this GaoGaiGar FINAL fight scene more than any mecha scene in Evangelion.

I'm sorry folks, as great a subversion of the mecha genre that Evangelion is, pure hot-blooded, all-out super robot spirit will always be my jam when it comes to anime.
I think the concept and choreography in that fight is pretty cookie-cutter though... For super robot action, I'd take any FLCL or TTGL scene over it.

NGE action scenes aren't really linked with classical super robot stuff like that video anyway. In NGE the best fights are those that feel the most real and gritty.

Line_HTX

Where can I see the release date. Also will I be super lost if I missed the first one :/

Hmm... not really. This is more telling about
how every event came to be before Bakemonogatari. In other words... "In the beginning..."

Of course, I'm also waiting for Aniplex USA to announce theater dates like the first movie. I just wish it wasn't so short like an hour long.

Hmm... not really. This is more telling about
how every event came to be before Bakemonogatari. In other words... "In the beginning..."

Of course, I'm also waiting for Aniplex USA to announce theater dates like the first movie. I just wish it wasn't so short like an hour long.
Ok so I won't be that lost, I'll just assume basic stuff.

Yeah the one hour run time is killing me, I'd be in traffic longer than watching the actual movie :'v stupid sexy Seattle. But I know there's no chance in hell this gets a Blu Ray release in the states so I might as well watch it :'v

Line_HTX

Ok so I won't be that lost, I'll just assume basic stuff.

Yeah the one hour run time is killing me, I'd be in traffic longer than watching the actual movie :'v stupid sexy Seattle. But I know there's no chance in hell this gets a Blu Ray release in the states so I might as well watch it :'v

Yeah, i wish I had told you earlier about both Kizumonogatari and Harmony. I'm pretty sure you would like the latter, heh heh heh.

Gundam Build Fighters 25 - END

So I thought I'd discuss some of the ways Gundam Build Fighters decides to break its own established rules in the last episode.

- First, there is the most obvious departure with precedence by the Plavsky particles running amuck and seeming to threaten a breakdown of reality. From the beginning through episode 24, it had been firmly established that Gunpla can only move within an activated Gunpla Battle System, an enclosed arena with its own rules that does not have any effect on the world outside it. This eliminates any real-world stakes - there does not seem to be any danger of Gunpla hurting, let alone killing, humans. The only interaction between the two worlds is through the "cockpit" display and controls that pop up when someone initiates a Gunpla Battle. The Plavsky explosion that happens at the end of episode 24 leading into 25 threatens this divide, causing the stadium to be visually replaced by a display of space that completely surrounds the human characters, though it acts as more of a visual illusion than anything else. The characters physically act as if they are still in the stadium - they are still bound by gravity to a solid ground, even if it has become invisible. The show never really gets into what could be the ultimate result of this phenomenon if not stopped - not that I think the logistical details are important, but this combined with the sudden escalation from simple game to JRPG final boss makes it difficult to take the threat seriously. Still, this is the least significant of the rule-breaking.

- A more significant narrative consequence of the Plavsky explosion is the enemy being faced by the cast. Up through episode 24, all the battles had been between individual robots. Each of these robots was controlled by a particular person, with the exception of computer-controlled AI opponents which showed up on two occasions. A lot of attention was paid to giving each robot, drawn from across the Gundam franchise, its own visual personality, usually matching that with the personality of its owner. With episode 23 establishing the presence of life-size replicas of a Gundam and a Zaku as part of the nearby festival, it might be thought that those would play some role in the finale, as an even larger version of the giant Zaku that interrupted the Battle Royale in the preliminaries. That did not end up being the case, however. Instead, the enemies the main cast fights in the final episode are: 1) hundreds of faceless mook robots, 2) a fortress maze, 3) an unmanned gun, and 4) a crystal. All of these have no personality compared with all the robots fought up to now. Since there is no one controlling them, as they are the result of a system gone berserk, none of these enemies have any goals or objectives either. It's completely baffling to me that for the final confrontation of your series, you would choose the most forgettable and bland opponents possible. Especially after robbing the viewers of the rematch between Yuuki and Sei/Reiji that has been built up for almost the entire show through brainwashing shenanigans, this is an incredibly anticlimactic climax. Sure, it allows basically every significant character to show up and fight together, some whose robots we are seeing for the first time (Sei's father, Ramba Ral, Mao's master), but it feels so hollow and contrived.

- The fallout of this climax also contains a couple confusing inconsistencies. After the team destroys the crystal, it is said by the characters that they will likely never be able to play Gunpla Battle again. Since the crystal was the source of the Plavsky particles that allowed Gunpla to move, it is implied there will be no way to manufacture new particles and so Gunpla Battle will become impossible. Indeed, the last match between Yuuki and Sei/Reiji, which feels like a half-hearted apology for denying us a proper match in episode 24, is interrupted by the particles evaporating and the Gunpla falling to the ground lifeless. This is a major deal - the whole premise of the world of the series has just been rendered void. What a sacrifice! Except, as we roll into a montage accompanied by the ED song, we see the characters going about Gunpla Battle as if nothing ever happened. So what was the point?

- Speaking of pointless drama, we also have Reiji's disappearance. Reiji had actually disappeared once before in the exact same manner - at the end of episode 2 - and indeed, Sei flashes back to that scene as he sees Reiji disappearing here. But in episode 2 Reiji reappeared immediately in the post-ED segment, with no long-term consequences. That raises the question of why he would not be able to do the same thing again this time, which weakens the drama being set up where the show acts like Sei will never see Reiji again. The extraterrestrial visitor having to depart for his home planet at the end of a story is a common occurrence, but its impact is not as great when the story has established multiple ways for visitors to travel back and forth between the two worlds. Again, it feels like cheap, unearned drama.

These inconsistencies taken together destroy my ability to treat the finale as the deathly serious climax it wants to be. Instead, all I am left with is a sour taste in my mouth and a wish that the writer had better planned out the story instead of seemingly pulling an ending out of thin air.

All you said is true but we still got to see Ral and Mao's Master completely blow out hundreds of dudes without even trying and turning the entire screen into explosions. Also Crossbone was in it.

And 'm 99% sure that in the ending credits they show Nils and Caroline in space on some Yajima mission and Nils invents a way to manufacture the particles so they can battoru again. Thats what happened anyway. So in Try Nils is pretty much Gunpla God since he invented the system, he refuses to fight because it would be unfair even to Meijin

It's good to see that there are others besides Jarmel and I that think that GBF's writing fell apart during the last 1/3 of the show. It was really frustrating how poorly and unsatisfying the show ended and how the writing never made good on a lot of its promises. I've compared it to a poorly booked wrestling storyline and I really think it fits. All they had to do was deliver a clean match that they had spent the entire show building up and they fucked it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom