• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled 5
The release schedule for this project has really worked against it. Whatever story beats and characters there are worth caring about are undermined by waiting a year between episodes, I know that I have trouble remembering what the hell is going on each time I watch another one of these. On the other hand Akito isn't good enough to warrant rewatching before each new release. Other than some nice CG animation, there hasn't been a whole lot of value from the Akito series, Code Geass without Lelouch remains pretty dull. Just go watch some clips of the fight scenes and you're good.

It's been said before, but Akito the Exiled reflects Kazuki Akane's specific interests, strengths and weaknesses as a director and co-writer. Which means the results won't appeal to everyone, since he wasn't even trying to closely follow the original show, yet it isn't exactly representative of what anyone else would do with the Code Geass property in the future, with or without Lelouch. In addition, I certainly don't praise Akane's inability to finish storyboarding on time or even follow a proper release schedule. That was all his fault. But at the same time, I didn't find it to be dull nor did I have trouble remembering the details. There's a lot of reasonably interesting aspects, in my opinion, beyond just the battle scenes. I guess some of my interests simply happen to overlap with the director's mindset.

That said, the narrative was hardly perfect. In particular, Akane has publicly said he didn't care too much if people failed to understand this project, as long as they felt something. Which is actually rather transparently reflected in the last episode, for better or for worse, more than any other. It definitely appeals to emotions at the expense of strict logic. Not every big question is answered and some of the crazy revelations only raise more questions, although the further implications behind a few of them could ostensibly be explored later on.

I suppose the director was aiming for dramatic irony with the whole sibling conflict, in retrospect, given that he seems to like having brothers fight for amusingly petty reasons.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bishoujo Yuugi Unit Crane Game Girls 1

Three girls are recruited to be idols in order to lure them to a crane game arcade where they then can be trained by a secret organisation in order to save the world from a group of asteroids that threaten to destroy the world in three months.

jonjonaug

My sister and I agreed that I would pick a harem show for her to watch, and she would pick a reverse-harem show for me to watch. We thought it would be fun. It was a terrible mistake.

Knowing there is a vast array of shitty harem shows I could have thrown at her, I had mercy and chose Absolute Duo. Mercy is not in her vocabulary. I had to watch Diabolik Lovers. In one sitting.

Your sister kicks ass.

I'd recommend watching Dance With Devils if you wanna watch a more palatable trashy harem show with a female protagonist. It's from some of the same people as DL, but the protagonist is more assertive (still dumb as a pile of bricks, but it's actually kinda self aware about that at points) and most of the boys seem like they're going to go the DL route of being assholes but they're so bad at it they end up just being kinda moe (one of the "heroines" is basically just Karamatsu). If that doesn't sound good, it also has singing Pomeranians.

X32cyzi.gif

Code Geass - Akito the Exiled 5 END

I only watched Geass two years ago and I'm glad this shit is over. Now that Akito and Unicorn are finished, and Kizu is almost finished we can all move on with our lives and meme about something else.

So I don't really have anything to say that I haven't said about the last episodes. It still stands. The release schedule really hurt this, I wonder if they will recut it for TV like Unicorn. Also, nudity? Did the other Akito episodes have Nudity? I don't think they did.

I don't know what the purpose of the Suzaku/Lelouch scenes other then to go "Here is the main characters of the first series!!!" Lelouch's geass doesn't work anymore or something? He had it active and it didn't work on Suzaku.

In fact I still don't know what the purpose of Akito the Exiled was.

Sölf

Black Lagoon 03-04
Of course now Nazis appear. Every good action anime needs some Nazis. I probably should listen to them in german, to get the real deal. The speech in Hellsing was also phenomenal in german.

I don't know what the purpose of the Suzaku/Lelouch scenes other then to go "Here is the main characters of the first series!!!" Lelouch's geass doesn't work anymore or something? He had it active and it didn't work on Suzaku.
It honestly just felt like something they threw in so they could put some teases into trailers and marketing.

Btwt did Amazon US uploaded the Kabaneri first ep? because it's already in Amazon JP(so i have episode 01 impression).

Btw here is the Kabaneri OP, not a fan of the song anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIp3trCIPho

Is that really going to be the finished OP? The floaty fight on the train and many other parts seem to be material from the PVs. It's also rather underwhelming and doesn't mesh greatly with the song. So, wouldn't be surprised if that's not the finished OP.

I only watched Geass two years ago and I'm glad this shit is over. Now that Akito and Unicorn are finished, and Kizu is almost finished we can all move on with our lives and meme about something else.

So I don't really have anything to say that I haven't said about the last episodes. It still stands. The release schedule really hurt this, I wonder if they will recut it for TV like Unicorn. Also, nudity? Did the other Akito episodes have Nudity? I don't think they did.

First season of original Code Geass had nudity too in Blu-Ray version so it's not new for the series.

Arabesque

Funimation must have really paid a king's ransom for My Hero, and Sentai/Crunchy is picking up everything else. Not that I'm complaining, since I prefer using CR anyways.

So shonen gaf twin stat exorcist worth checking out?

Absolutely! It was a really good episode and introduction to the series.

I still didn't watch the final episode, but if I recall the TV show correctly, Lelouch's Geass power only works once per person, so it will never work on Suzaku after his "You Must Live On" command.

I guess the purpose was expanding the Code Geass universe? Or tell a different story since the TV show concluded completely with a super duper happy ending? I dunno.

Exalted

Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1

Pleasantly surprised by this show. Wasn't on my radar before the season, but i like the tone, art, and the characters in this show.
Gives me Kekkai Sensen vibes. Definitely gonna watch more of it .

Lautaro

Joker Game - 01

rbI9bFf.gif

Ok, this is very interesting. If they don't drop the ball with the story (and don't go crazy with the engrish) this could be one of my favorite shows of the season only because its refreshing to see something like that in a sea of formulaic anime.

Bungo Stray Dogs Episode 1
CfYRO7dXEAAxUi8.jpg

Well thats unfortunate, my ship :/ though it can form later I hope.

Fairly good starting episode even if there was quite a bit of talking and a clueless lead. In any case the supporting cast are all pretty excellent, and my 2nd or 1st favorite character next episode.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
She and her cat - Everything flow
Adaptation of Makoto Shinkai short anime. Well, that was great. Seeing the struggle of a young woman who is having a hard time with her life through the eye of her cat. Yeah, you could see the ending from miles away, and Daru narration is is melodramatic, but i love the theme, background, and music.

Bungo Stray Dogs 01

Extremely reminiscent of Kekkai Sensen...that show I didn't like that much. It looks good but its BONES so that is kind of expected. I probably wont stick with this.

JCG

Their cameo appearance will obviously be of interest to existing fans as marketing, but if you want an official answer...Akane was asked about this in one of the fan books and he compared their presence here to Amuro's secondary/tertiary role in Zeta Gundam. From his creative perspective, the point wasn't to focus the new story on them, but simply to show Suzaku's reactions towards Lelouch during this period.

What Arabesque said. Here's an old interview with the director published around the release of Akito Part 2.

pbayne

Black Jack OVA 6

Jazysus this episode...Straight up forty minute dream sequence and ghosts that have only the loosest of connections to what happens in the end. First OVA that felt like a bit of a bust.

While im on that it feels like these episodes were all conceived by different writers that never consulted each other to try and somewhat tie what's happening together. It's so hard to make sense of what's happening at times since the content and themes of the episodes swing so wildly in one direction or another. Though I know they were made over a long period of time and are maybe all supposed to be considered stand-alone from each other.

Cornbread78

Bungou Stray Dogs ep.1
HxnY15A.gif

(I can heart DTL's heart breaking from here)

Interesting first episode, but I'm not sure if I will stick with it of not. Twin Star Exorcist has a much better opening episode and this isn't really my kind of thing...

phaze

Bungo Stray Dogs 01
Quite decent, if still predictable, (the tiger mistery) might stick around. And yes the similarities to Blood Blockade Battlefront are very apparent. From the setup of detective agency of peeps with superpowers to some visual quirks (the arrows that Rie Matsumuto likes so much ) and the style of humor, one can't help but be reminded of it.

Joker Game 01
Most of what I wanted to say has been written already. The slow exposition filled pace, the not very bright mc getting a job in super cynical spy agency for reasons, the cliffhanger that I very much doubt that will resolve in a remotely surprising way. Still an alright episode, it's just after pinning my hopes on it, I longed for bit more.

BluWacky

Ooooh, Akito has finished at last? Must watch that - I am a total Kazuki Akane fanboy...

Speaking of people I'm a fanboy of:

Bungou Stray Dogs 1

Takuya Igarashi~~~~

While I find something a little distasteful in Osamu Dazai's suicidal tendencies being played for laughs - he did actually kill himself by drowning after several attempts - this is a solid enough first episode. While I always enjoy Igarashi's Ikuni-school of direction (so many comedy faces! Comedy rule of three! Captions!), there's only so much one can do with this kind of set-up material. I would have liked to have seen something more creative done with the fight sequence here, rather than a well-produced version of the usual freeze-frame dodging we see in so many anime, but as usual for Bones the production values were high all round.

A show with potential, perhaps, depending on what the episodic stories and eventual over-arching plot is like.

Other literary references I caught:

- the whole conceit of this episode is drawn from one of Atsushi Nakajima's short stories, "The Tiger Man"
- while I suspect a few will recognise Osamu Dazai's power as "No Longer Human", which was adapted into anime as part of Aoi Bungaku, the only other power I recognised the name of was Kenji Miyazawa's, named after his poem "Ame ni mo Makezu". Miyazawa extolled the virtues of simple hard work and country life, hence presumably why his character design here appears to be a Huck Finn knockoff. Of course, Doppo Kunikida was a poet, so calling his power "Doppo Poet" is probably accurate...

I'm sure there are more, but I have no idea what they would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom