• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baalzebup

tbh every mecha video game and anime would be better with a dash of Cross Ange.

Cross Ange is basically the Mrs Dash of anime.

I could do with all anime learning the lesson of not using that much stock footage. Fucking Gundam SEED Destiny didn't use as much stock footage on average and that shit was already offensive by sheer quantity. The continued "gag" of Tusks accidental muff-dives were also tiresome pretty much before they began. I would honestly like to know how many of the staff members thought it was funny (this being one of the points that I 100% agree with Corvos blogpost).
MPR's opinion of the entire SRW series comes from him only playing Project X Zone, which is completely different.

If anything Cross Ange deserves to be in that series and away from SRW.

Meh. They have obviously cleaned up the racy bits away, so it does fit in SRW. Wilkiss certainly fits the bill as it lies somewhere in the region between the more usual Super Prototypes and similar elite-tier "real" robots and actual Super Robots.

Kabaneri 10

Can't wait for the absolutely shocking reveal that Mumei is Ikoma's sister.

MPR's opinion of the entire SRW series comes from him only playing Project X Zone, which is completely different.

If anything Cross Ange deserves to be in that series and away from SRW.

Blame PxZ for being a boring fucking game with no respect for anyone's time. I'm done with fanservice bullshit games after sitting through half of that game, aka 20,000 hours and 40 stages. The best way to experience those games is the same as Naruto Ninja Storm or JoJo games and just watch supercuts of everything on YouTube. Whenever someone talks about SRW it's never about how the game is fun to play its about the character interactions or having Chirico kill the Anti-Spiral in a Scopedog.

Blame PxZ for being a boring fucking game with no respect for anyone's time. The best way to experience those games is the same as Naruto Ninja Storm or JoJo games and just watch supercuts of everything on YouTube. Whenever someone talks about SRW it's never about how the game is fun to play its about the character interactions or having Chirico kill the Anti-Spiral in a Scopedog.

PxZ is only boring because every attack requires you to mash button over and over.

SRW games have you look at cool animations of the attacks from the shows instead, and if you don't want to see that you can skip it with the press of a button.

As a SRPG with multiple mecha anime franchises I'd argue that they are fun. I've played Z2 and re-enacting moments from Gurren Lagann with Shin Getter and Mazinger Z along for the ride is very entertaining.

PxZ is only boring because every attack requires you to mash button over and over.

SRW games have you look at cool animations of the attacks from the shows instead, and if you don't want to see that you can skip it with the press of a button.

As an SRPG with multiple mecha anime franchises I'd argue that they are fun. I've played Z2 and re-enacting moments from Gurren Lagann with Shin Getter and Mazinger Z along for the ride is very entertaining.

But you're basically arging that SRW is enjoyable because of the way it references specific mecha anime. If you aren't interested in that, and just interested in it as an SRPG on its own, you're not making a convincing case for it.

As a SRPG with multiple mecha anime franchises I'd argue that they are fun. I've played Z2 and re-enacting moments from Gurren Lagann with Shin Getter and Mazinger Z along for the ride is very entertaining.

So it takes even longer? Sounds even worse then. I think I'll stick to FE Fates where I turn off all the animations after the fifth level because they suck now. Bring back GBA sprites.

But you're basically arging that SRW is enjoyable because of the way it references specific mecha anime. If you aren't interested in that, and just interested in it as an SRPG on its own, you're not making a convincing case for it.

Well obviously if you're not a fan of mecha anime you're not going to like SRW.

I was mostly trying to explain that SRW games have a better sense of flow than PxZ. There are certainly better SRPG franchises than SRW, but SRW itself is nowhere near as frustrating or boring to play as PxZ, and does its job nicely as a crossover fanservice game for mecha fans.

So it takes even longer? Sounds even worse then. I think I'll stick to FE Fates where I turn off all the animations after the fifth level because they suck now. Bring back GBA sprites.

Uh, no. You missed the part where I mentioned that you can skip them. I mean, there's two skip buttons. One skips the starting animation of the attack and jumps to the scene of whether or not it misses, and the other skips the whole animation sequence completely.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kanbari of the Iron Fortress Episode 10:

So am I supposed to care about Bibi's motivations, it seems like they wanted to make him a deep villain with complex motivations but the actions of him and his band are just so cartoonishly evil I can't take any of it seriously.

JCG

I'd argue that SRW, by and large, is generally more challenging than Project X Zone. There are a lot of broken abilities too, in the long run, but the gameplay allows for more customization of both robots and pilots. Which, depending on your choices, can both help and hurt your chances of either beating a stage or earning a skill point to unlock one or more secrets later on. It's not as deep of a system as Tactics Ogre or whatever, but PXZ is definitely a simplified game in comparison to many SRW titles.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Do not watch DYRL without having seen SDF Macross.

Start with SDF Macross, then DYRL, and then stop because everything else is shiiiiiiiiiiiit.

man i dont even give a shit about games until zero time dilemma comes out, just cryogenically freeze me for 12 days so i can play that shit on the 8 hour plane ride i got b

John Blade

nopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFG_k4032y.jpg

Well...that's fun to watch how they end this season. A big battle with the big boss and manage to get the MC Kai to look cool killing the boss. The whole scene when the MC Kai stuck in the situation with the alien robot talking is weird to watch as you don't know what will happen to him.

As for the rest of the team, can't much say. They is more scene of the grandma and the kid getting kill but it isn't much to talk about as the alien robot got destroy by female Kai and the idol.

I guess the naughty joke is at the end when they get the point of the game and you found out the idol is a fag (or gay) and all the guy who survive the game freak out while the female Kai and the unknown girl don't say much about it. Overall, a fun watch episode for this battle.

Now, the 1st season is done, all I can say this show is actually not as bad as people make it. I guess the issue might come in 2nd season so, will see how crazy it will go from now.

The development of the main characters in the show is okay but can't really say much as it kinda broil down to the standard tropes which you see a bit in most anime. Kinda want to see a bit more development to make them different and unique.

This whole Grantz idea is interesting to watch. Seeing yourself got kill but somehow you're not really dead till you beat the game and if you win, you can go back to the normal life. This idea can be go so far and would like to see where the anime will take it. I know they is the manga and from what people say, it did go to some interesting and crazy place on it. I wonder how far the anime will go but with a total of 26 episodes and how long a game mission take in episodes, I don't think it will go too far.

Still, they is stuff I still have no clue mostly the idea of alien which live in the world and the human have to kill them in this game and how Gantz was started. You don't have any explanation from this. All you got from this show is go kill the enemies so you can go back to your world or you die.

Overall, I am now interested in the show and would say if you never have a chance to get into Grantz and don't want to read the manga 1st for some reason, watching season 1 might not be a bad idea as it give you just enough stuff to get you interested and to try to read the manga. I hope the 2nd season will match it or keep the level of interesting the same.

Man that game looks so goddamn rough which is a shame... plot is the only thing that is going to keep it all taped together for me.

At this point 75% of the games I'm looking forward to are held together on hopes and dreams and that's beautiful man

Nier Automata could run at 8 fps like Drakengard 3 and I wouldn't even be phased

Sterok

I'm famous in Japan. Huh. But why Yuru Yuri and Anne-Happy? I'm not saying anything interesting about those. At least show off my Precure stuff.

Anne-Happy 11

Such a deadly game of tag. Ren continues to be the ace.

Netoge 11

A betrayal was obvious, but everyone took it well enough at least. Preparations are going well, and Ako has a valuable lesson drilled into her head.

At this point 75% of the games I'm looking forward to are held together on hopes and dreams and that's beautiful man

Nier Automata could run at 8 fps like Drakengard 3 and I wouldn't even be phased

Yeah... I don't even want it anymore.

I'm honestly only getting ZTD because I managed to not only pre-order it before the Canadian dollar tanked, but also with a 30% E3 discount on top. Comes to $30. Money is hard to earn man. Dreams don't fill my stomach (my figurative gaming stomach in this case).

I won't be surprised if I end up dropping it altogether because of how bad it looks, and I'm not even one to complain about graphics.

John Blade

if you say so

where do i start

the very beginning??

If you have the time, go start watching the original TV show and then go watch the movie. The movie take the main idea of the TV show and tell it in the movie. This mean quite a bit of stuff are either, modify, change, or remove. The movie is great if you have already watch the show and want to see it in another perspective.

If you don't have time, then the movie is okay but you will miss quite a bit of stuff from the original show.

Other than that, I guess Macross Plus and maybe Macross II for the LOL but actually for the music. Other Macross show I can't say as I never watch it yet.

Russ T

Banned
i'm acting clowny because i'm in a weird mood, but i do appreciate the advice/recommendations regarding macross!

i'll see what i can see maybe this weekend, or at least in the near future

Qurupeke

Man that game looks so goddamn rough which is a shame... plot is the only thing that is going to keep it all taped together for me.

Yeah... I don't even want it anymore.

Good god. I was supposed to be on a media black out on Zero Escape 3, and I just checked a trailer. It really is ugly. The second game didn't look that good either, but this one somehow is even worse. 999's 2D art is so much better.

Good god. I was supposed to be on a media black out on Zero Escape 3, and I just checked a trailer. It really is ugly. The second game didn't look that good either, but this one somehow is even worse. 999's 2D art is so much better.

Yeah it looks pretty ugly. I dunno why they went that route artistically.

You guys need more animu Star Ocean in your lives!

2 more weeks baby!

I only played 4 and that game was total dogshit that I only beat out of spite. It was like Trails but worse somehow in every way. I don't think I've played a game with worse characters.

Still gonna play 5 because big console jrpgs are a dying breed

Cornbread78

Hows your Valkyria playthrough anyway? You haven't really been posting in your own OT :p

Uncharted 4 monopolized all of my time until this past weekend, lol. I'll finally start digging in this weekend a little. I'm legit scared for all those chp.7 horror stories, lol.

Cornbread78

I only played 4 and that game was total dogshit that I only beat out of spite. It was like Trails but worse somehow in every way. I don't think I've played a game with worse characters.

Still gonna play 5 because big console jrpgs are a dying breed

5 is a lot shorter at about 40-65 hrs, (which is a good thing) but lacks the grand CGI cut scenes for the most part. Everything else has been said to be an upgrade over 4, bit nothing amazing. Oh, the characters are better too! That alone makes me very happy, lol. I got limited time to play as it is.

SRW is freaking Great because of how it plays with the possibility space in an SRPG, how many units have unique abilities, how extremely polished the presentation is and how neat the difficulty modes can be. Map design can be weak at times, but it still ends up shining on Higher difficulty modes, not unlike Fire Emblem. There's lots of AoE moves which I like a lot for SRPG type gameplay. Also a scoring screen is always a good thing in my SRPGs.

On Lower difficulty modes, SRW is very much a fanservice game series that gets better and better as an SRPG as you up difficulty modes and go for higher ranks. All SRPG fans should not hesitate to check out the series even if they aren't into mecha as a genre. Though some games are obviously better than others. I think Z3 was pretty good, but I didn't play it.

Qurupeke

Kabaneri 10

Hmm, I would like to see
Ikoma actually dying. Takumi too, there's no reason for Biba's faction to keep him alive. Maybe the show can turn to an antiauthoritarian father-son story about the shogun and Biba. What a plot twist. But probably the samurai guy will rescue Ikoma and they'll catch up to save Mumei, just before she does something horrible.

Aki-at

Kabaneri - 10

Well damn, I wonder if
Takumi is actually dead or not, half expected it after him and Ikoma had that friendly chat. Got to wonder how Ikoma's skill levels are going to increase to allow him to defeat Biba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom