• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Kind an informal vote here, but there's been interest expresed, so if we get enough people to join in we can try it again...

If we did a "Let's Watch" next week which would you be down for:

Lucky☆Star or Code Geass?

Both are easily accessible, Code Geass would take most of the summer though.

Kind an informal vote here, but there's been interest expresed, so if we get enough people to join in we can try it again...

CODE GEASS

CODE GEASS

CODE GEASS

CODE GEASS

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

CODE GEASS

JCG

Whatever you prefer, though Lucky Star has arguably been seen by less people who are still around now.

Seeing Code Geass again (for the Nth time in my case) would be alright, but it's more of a known quantity.

T-Rex.

Banned

I haven't seen either show, but I will vote for Lucky Star just to be contrary :p

Will watch whatever

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just as a fyi, Lucky Star realises a lot on being au fait with some anime and Japanese geek culture. If this is a Let's Watch for the more casual viewers of OT, they may not get as much enjoyment out of it. Also first few episodes are a slow burn.

John Blade

Neither. Both show aren't interested me at all. I would recommend everyone to have a let's watch Angel Cop. Now that show is fun to watch and would watching even though it's a bit old.
angelcop.png

JCG

Just as a fyi, Lucky Star realises a lot on being au fait with some anime and Japanese geek culture. If this is a Let's Watch for the more casual viewers of OT, they may not get as much enjoyment out of it. Also first few episodes are a slow burn.

Plenty of people like seeing wacky Japanese geek culture in motion, even if they don't get every reference.

Lucky star gets my vote I saw code geass to many time. Where is code geass easily streamable? I though funimation had the rights and did not stream it.

We should do a lets watch of one of the older shows crunchyroll got like flame of recca or mazinkizer something or even the og beyblade.

You mean Shin Mazinger Z. I don't think they have Mazinkaiser

I would very much be down for a Shin Mazinger Z Let's Watch.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about Mazinkaiser SKL, which I've only heard negative things about.

You mean Shin Mazinger Z. I don't think they have Mazinkaiser

I would very much be down for a Shin Mazinger Z Let's Watch.
That one would be cool too but I'm sure they got an old super robot show recently and I tought it was mazinkizer. I'll check later since I'm on my phone.

Edit: SKL is the movie right? I'm talking about the other one then.

Cornbread78

We should do a lets watch of one of the older shows crunchyroll got like flame of recca or mazinkizer something or even the og beyblade.

That's what we did initially, but ran out of good recs that would keep interest and have people participate. If there is another title that would have several people join in a participating I'm all ears.

The major caveat to that would be to make sure it isn't offensive with shit-tier fanservice and/or sexual content, especially the detestable kind..

The point is to have fun with a show together and have people from outside the "AnimeGAF" community join in like they did before

John Blade

That's what we did initially, but ran out of good recs that would keep interest and have people participate. If there is another title that would have several people join in a participating I'm all ears.

The major caveat to that would be to make sure it isn't offensive with shit-tier fanservice and/or sexual content, especially the detestable kind..

The point is to have fun with a show together and have people from outside the "AnimeGAF" community join in like they did before

I guess we can start with what genre of show you want to watch? They're too many anime now and not all can be watch the legal way unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure those anime don't have fanservice.

Also if you want people from outside animegaf I think beyblade would fit since it hitted mainstream when we were younger. The name should get people attention.

Edit: also maybe digimon 01? Since it's on CR it's easily accescible

Cornbread78

I guess we can start with what genre of show you want to watch? They're too many anime now and not all can be watch the legal way unfortunately.

Previous “Let’s Watch Anime” sessions:

#1- Humanity Has Declined:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1090173
#2- Eccentric Family:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1097748
#3- Sunday Without God:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1104608
#4- Samurai Flemanco:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1111817
#5- Blast of Tempest:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1120956
#6- Kyousougiga:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133594
#7- Kids on the Slope:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1141103
#8- Mirai Nikki:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1148250
#9- Rozen Maiden
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1163070
#10- Mononoke:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1169061

#11 was Code;Breaker which broke the camels back and stopped future let's watches. lol..

Uh, no? The dub from what I understand completely botches the music and cuts so many things from the story with the usual localization garbage.

I rewatched it a few months ago and I can tell you I enjoyed adventure 01 better in english. The american music makes it even better. And from your comment I guess you did not watch adventure 01?

Edit: and I can confirm the Mazinkizer i was talking about is named Mazinger Edition Z

I rewatched it a few months ago and I can tell you I enjoyed adventure 01 better in english. The american music makes it even better. And from your comment I guess you did not watch adventure 01?

I only watched bits of adventure 01 here and there back in the day along with seeing bits of it in Japanese. I never gave the show a full-watch proper, although I know how the plot goes.

Also I vehemently disagree. I prefer hearing Brave Heart over HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGIMON.

Samurai Flamenco 4

Somehow I get the feeling Flamenco Girl is only in this to have an excuse to kick guys' crotches.

She has a decent character arc, don't worry.

I only watched bits of adventure 01 here and there back in the day along with seeing bits of it in Japanese. I never gave the show a full-watch proper, although I know how the plot goes.

Also I vehemently disagree. I prefer hearing Brave Heart over HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGIMON.

She has a decent character arc, don't worry.

Well if it can reassure you it's not hey digimon that will play during digivolutions but this

Also the digimon sounds wayyyy better in english.

A good dub vs sub comparison dub vs sub

The dub is a better fit in my opinion

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Whatever you prefer, though Lucky Star has arguably been seen by less people who are still around now.

Seeing Code Geass again (for the Nth time in my case) would be alright, but it's more of a known quantity.

Lucky Star kills people. You heard it here. Code Geass means Life

JulianImp

Like BGBW and I said before Lucky Star probably won't work to attract non-Anime GAFfers to the let's watch, but I don't know a thing about Code Gaeass so I can't tell whether people actually like it or are just making fun of it.

JCG

...but I don't know a thing about Code Gaeass so I can't tell whether people actually like it or are just making fun of it.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive and especially not with this series. That duality is part of why the show was so successful.

I hope this was a type and you meant Tales.

I did.

????????? Wasn't the entire point of your lets watches to get people to watch lesser known shows?

Cornbread78

????????? Wasn't the entire point of your lets watches to get people to watch lesser known shows?

Yeah, but that stopped working, so... we're trying to find shows that will work to spur more interest/involvement/conversation.

Any other ideas/recommendations? It's an open book right now. It was brought up again, so just trying to see if it's something we can make work again.

Yeah, but that stopped working, so... we're trying to find shows that will work to spur more interest/involvement/conversation.

Any other ideas/recommendations? It's an open book right now. It was brought up again, so just trying to see if it's something we can make work again.

Baccano, popular enough among anime die-hards, and should get people mildly interested in anime to watch as well due to BROOKLYN DUB

John Blade

I do have few choice of show to watch but I don't think most of this show are streaming right now. Also, my taste of anime are all over the place.

JulianImp

That too. I'd actually rather watch some old show that many of us might not have watched rather than something more contemporary. Too bad The Vision of Escaflowne isn't on CR, because I never watched it as a kid while it aired on cable TV and have been hearing good things about it.

Out of CR's catalog, I was interested in someday picking Hajime no Ippo and Usagi Drop up, so maybe we could watch either?

Also, that talk about Helga being some kind of proto-tsundere from a couple days ago later reminded me that there was that Looney Tunes cartoon about a bulldog and a kitten (Marc Anthony and Pussyfoot, I believe), where the dog would go through all kinds of hardships just to protect the kitten because of how cute it was. Wouldn't that also work as some kind of proto-moe, with the whole cuteness and "I must protect it!" aspects?

Gurren Lagann 01

nintendoman58's recommendation was a good one. I'm into what I saw. Interesting concept with the pits. Also I love the characters already.

This show's visual design reminds me A LOT of Kill la Kill by the way, is there any connection to that show in terms of staff? Also the animation in this, is goddamn good! Does it remain like this throughout the whole show?! Or is this just a case of being the usual super good looking and fluid pilot episode?

[

This show's visual design reminds me A LOT of Kill la Kill by the way, is there any connection to that show in terms of staff? Also the animation in this, is goddamn good! Does it remain like this throughout the whole show?! Or is this just a case of being the usual super good looking and fluid pilot episode?

Same director and a lot of the same staff. And ttgl is a pretty show all throughout

JulianImp

Gurren Lagann 01

nintendoman58's recommendation was a good one. I'm into what I saw. Interesting concept with the pits. Also I love the characters already.

Both are Trigger shows, so yeah.

It's a pretty good show, so it's always nice to see someone new pick it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom