• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beyond the Boundary 1-4

Off to a good start so far, and the action has been pretty enjoyable to watch. It's definitely not a very original story so far, but I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. Also, this ED theme is pretty damn good.

Also, this seems to be another series based off LNs KyoAni published themselves, Chunibyou was the same and both had pretty low volume counts despite being listed as ongoing. It kind of seems like authors who work with KyoAni kind of get a shit deal, don't they do some sort of contest for these series and end up keeping the rights for every thing submitted despite never actually giving out the grand prize? Could have sworn I read about this somewhere but it seems like a real dick thing to do.

Narag

Danball Senki 29

DRhUdFel.png

Wanderer5

Flying Witch 2 - How delightful. Definitely my favourite new show. Nice to have a nice new healing show, so rare as they are.

I definitely appreciate a show like this. Just feels refreshing with its really relax tone among the anime I have been into this year, and it hits the notes just right.

As for #2, ha ha at the Harbinger scene. I kind of don't blame Chinatsu for being sacred at first XD, but that was cute of what he left behind.

And lol at the scene after the ED.

Jex

Capes are always dumb. Just look at incredibles for that. All they will do is get you into trouble.

Huh? Your argument that capes on giant robots are bad is based off a movie? That doesn't make any sense. It's not even an argument!

What does 'realism' have to do with anything? We're talking about giant robots here. In a cartoon. Why are you such a joy killer?

Flying Witch Ep. 2

Kei and Makoto play off each other really well. I prefer the second half to the first half but it was nice seeing the mandrake wasn't wasted.

Jintor

What does 'realism' have to do with anything? We're talking about giant robots here. In a cartoon. Why are you such a joy killer?

hey man cartoons are still subject to suspension of disbelief!

giant robot capes are dumb unless they're stealth or armour, then they're not dumb. qed

Thoraxes

Kiznaiver - 02

Nico is pretty awesome. Her introduction was great.

They also won me over with the osananajimi. It's one of my great weaknesses.

In fact, I think I just liked all their introductions.

Just T

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Diamond Is Unbreakable: 3

The transitions are still pretty good and the episode itself was too, that's an interesting stand power.

Big Order: 1

Entertaining start but with a power like that wonder who is going to be able to seriously challenge him.

Also that jazzy music near the end felt a bit out of place lol.

duckroll

The Boy and the Beast

All together, it seems the film was produced thinking of it as a family movie, and that meant lots of concessions for the younger audience, and imo it was done in a bit more blunt way than say a Pixar movie.

I'm not sure about that. Inside Out was pretty damn blunt. Modern Pixar is a different beast. If anything, the aggressive use of flashbacks to remind audiences of references to previous events reminded me of more Nolan than Pixar. Now that's one director who writes stuff for supposedly more intelligent audiences, but doesn't trust them enough to remember jack shit. Dark Knight Rises was the worst!

Oh yeah, as the end note: what was that about
being consumed by darkness means gaining telekinetic powers? It felt so random it lost me a bit.

I understood it to mean that
humans crossing over into the beast world gained the potential to manifest such powers which were beyond the logic of the human world, and that extends to their dark side.

duckroll

RE: The Boy and the Beast

Having thought about it more, I really feel that for me personally, Kaede is what makes the film work. She is the glue that makes it more than just a story about a boy going into a magical world, finding a furry father, and becoming a man. There is a running theme in the film about how Kumatetsu and Ren "complete" each other, and that Kumatetsu becomes a stronger and better person because Ren came into his life. But the reverse is not entirely true. While Ren certainly learned much from being with Kumatetsu, he was always just a surrogate father figure in a world which Ren would never stay in. Kaede is the what binds him back into the human world, and the person who completes the more mature and stronger Ren. Without her, it would be a much more mundane story.

I've always felt in many ways that every good story is a love story. No matter how much we accomplish, how much we do, how good we become, it is all pointless if there isn't someone to share it with. Companionship and completeness is what we crave as humans.

Theonik

Just read that post...What the fuck.. Is this a so bad it's good situation?
The line between the two is quite blurry to begin with. It's an Okada script. If you know what that means then you know what you're in for.

I'd read the warnings but failed to truly appreciate the sheer volume of fan service prior to watching the episode, if the aerial stuff looked anyway appealing I might have been willing to soldier on a few more at least but I think I'll just put this in the pile with Kancolle.
Episode 1 is the most it gets until like episode 7 btw. But yes, if you can look past that, the final couple of episodes have some decent flying, and the character humour is where the show shines, which is better seen with S2.

But based on your posts I wouldn't bother if I were you. Not your cup of tea.

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet 2

I liked the whole awkward attempt at creating rapport that Amy initiates with Ledo. The concept of establishing communication between cultures completely unfamiliar with each other is handled in a really interesting manner here. I was as shocked by Ledo's vaporizing of the pirates at the end as the ship dwellers were. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but not that. The pirates' bodies vanishing into dust was perhaps even more disturbing than having them turned into bloody messes would have been. Just imagine if some space alien came down to Earth today and vaporized some people. Even if the people killed were your enemy, that would establish such a gap in technology that fear would be the immediate response.
Still #TeamSenmetsu

hey man cartoons are still subject to suspension of disbelief!

giant robot capes are dumb unless they're stealth or armour, then they're not dumb. qed
U wot m8.

Kiznaiver 2

This is legit engaging. Really creative way to rope people into some twisted games, though the intent isn't clear at all here yet. Even if something tremendously stupid happens, I think I'm going to stick with this to the end.

jediyoshi

Haifuri 2

KBn0qnk.png

rWoabTH.png

Like how they're handling the mysteries so far. Koko separately, twice this episode saying the most plausible/sensible theory for what's currently going on. It's like in zombie movies when characters are already aware of what zombies are and don't need to piece everything together from scratch. All these cliff hangers are brutal.

Mailbox

I decided to look into what Okada has done so far since people seem to be saying a lot about her here,

Seems like I've liked quite a few things she's done as Series composition
But in stuff she's written scripts for, its been super inconsistent

Theres stuff I liked(Despite their flaws, of which I am fully aware) like: Anohana, Gosick, Hanasaku Iroha, and Toradora!

But then there's stuff like Wixoss (there are others on the list like Fate/Stay night(deen) and Kodomo no Jikan that I assume are bad, but I haven't actually watched) that had bad writing put into its characters and scenarios. I don't think it was phoned in either because Wixoss is a pretty big series and I don't think anyone'd phone it in that much.

I've been liking the writing in Kiznaiver, but I'm a bit worried now...

should I be worried, or am I over reacting here?

I decided to look into what Okada has done so far since people seem to be saying a lot about her here,

Theres stuff I liked(Despite their flaws, of which I am fully aware) like: Anohana, Gosick, Hanasaku Iroha, and Toradora!

But then there's stuff like Wixoss (there are others on the list like Fate/Stay night(deen) and Kodomo no Jikan that I assume are bad, but I haven't actually watched) that had bad writing put into its characters and scenarios. I don't think it was phoned in either because Wixoss is a pretty big series and I don't think anyone'd phone it in that much.

I guess that depends how you feel about the show devolving into melodramatic, tear-stained misery. Unless Kobayashi desires to and manages to exert enough influence to keep a lid on it. There are plenty of red flags in Kiznaiver for the pessimistic (realistic?) to latch onto, but it's also more fun than I remember any of her other shows being so far. Maybe Trigger can pull it out.

Line_HTX

So what's the deal with WIXOSS in its entirety? Is it how it's written? I remember some posts called it incest wixoss, but then afterwards were just melodrama and I wasn't sure if it was about card games anymore...

Haifuri 2

KBn0qnk.png

rWoabTH.png

Like how they're handling the mysteries so far. Koko separately, twice this episode saying the most plausible/sensible theory for what's currently going on. It's like in zombie movies when characters are already aware of what zombies are and don't need to piece everything together from scratch. All these cliff hangers are brutal.

Of course they need to introduce a German character in such a show!

But because the Great War and World War II never happened in Haifuri she is full Prussia moe.

Flying Witch - 02

The soundtrack is so good to set the mood, the pan flute bit made me think of the slavic Witcher universe. Which brings me to the next point I like about the show, with how it incorporates these myths and folklore into the current age.
Also the harbinger looked creepy as fuck, I'm with Chinatsu on this one. The contrast between the appearance and the gentle voice was amusing tho. Chinatsu is great so far, her reactions, gestures and even the weird sounds she occasionally makes cracks me up.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Okada is pretty restrained when she's writing adaptation.TRUE OKADA begin when she write original stories

Qurupeke

My Hero Academia 3

Training and timeskip and from this point the "real" anime begins. Anyway, I noticed that they had some more intense black lines on certain scenes, creating the illusion of depth, pretty cool.

The show is still slow as an adaptation, they're still on the first half of chapter 3, but I still don't feel that it drags. Though, it's a shame that it took a while to introduce more characters than Deku, Bakugo and All Might.

Oh, and best girl appears. I find it really amusing that the voice actress is the same behind Charlotte's Nao, she will NAIL some later scenes. I can't wait.

Flying Witch - 02

Some good slice of life. I'll keep watching all of it I imagine.

Tanaka-kun - 02

This show is nearly one hundred percent of people directly addressing listlessness. The characters feel more like caricatures whose sole purpose is to bring up listlessness all the time. Best way too guarantee I'm quickly fed up with the premise. Tanaka-kun doesn't work for me. It's not terrible but I'm not really enjoying it either. Dropped.

Kiznaiver - 02

First episode was better than I expected; second episode was substantially worse than expected. I expected the ball to be dropped gradually but nah, with this terrible followup of an episode I'm out. I'll just watch the OP here and there and that'll be the best of Kiznaiver.

By the way, this episode had some absolutely horrendous sense of spacing and generally poorly storyboarded action.

phaze

Beyond the Boundary 1-4

Off to a good start so far, and the action has been pretty enjoyable to watch. It's definitely not a very original story so far, but I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. Also, this ED theme is pretty damn good.

How pleasant ! And yes ED is good. So is OP for that matter ! ( There is a bit of a small twist to both of them)

Tanaka is Always Listless

Better than previous episode, still not something I see myself sticking with very far. And I hope in time, it will stray away from having every scene revolve around Tanaka's listlessness. That got old in the first 5 minutes of first episode.

Flying Witch 01

Huh, I didn't see myself enjoying it much cause I don't generally fare well with SoLs but what do you know, it was pretty good. Enjoyable cast and humour (The entire mandrake sequence was gold.) served in a relaxed but not "I'm falling asleep" manner. Bit miffed the characters are not adults as I thought them to be but, yet again, high schoolers but I'll bear with it I guess.

Ascheroth

My Hero Academia - 03

Another excellent episode. I never would have thought there would someday be an anime adaption of a weekly manga, where the 3rd episode didn't even finish the 3rd chapter. And yet nothing feels boring or dragging.
The soundtrack is so uplifting.

pbayne

Luluco 3

Was Midori's gang plucked from Street Sharks? No wonder they jobbed so hard.

Flying Witch 2

This is SoL like distilled into its purest form, such a relaxing watch. Surprised there was actually some continuity from last week with the mandrake.

Qurupeke

Flying Witch 2

The first scene was basically the cute and not malicious version of the fairy meme. lol The second one revealed who is the best girl of the show.
Kei-kun!
Yeah, this anime is really enjoyable, a sweet mix of various magic entities and countrylife. Judging from the OP, there's still a lot more to come.

I'm not sure what you wanted, but Koufuku Graffiti is really good, one of Shaft's best works. I appreciated its emotional sincerity.

The overly melodramatic Okada stuff does nothing to me.

There is a fine line when self-reflection gets silly. Hidamari did it fine while Koufuku Graffiti was unbelievable silly in that regard.

Jex

I'm starting to come around to the idea that Mari Okada is actually exactly the write kind of person to be working in anime. I think she's pretty good at doing what she does. She can even be relatively low-key when the need arises! At the same time, she enjoys living at the cartoonishly ridiculous end of human behaviour which is fairly fitting considering the kind of material the fandom enjoys.

Theonik

I'm starting to come around to the idea that Mari Okada is actually exactly the write kind of person to be working in anime. I think she's pretty good at doing what she does. She can even be relatively low-key when the need arises! At the same time, she enjoys living at the cartoonishly ridiculous end of human behaviour which is fairly fitting considering the kind of material the fandom enjoys.
From my interactions with the common anime person I can corroborate this.

Jintor

Flying Witch 2

New recipe learned!

Healing anime of the season imho. Nice and relaxing. A bit down on the 'lol if you cook you're a girl' thing but i think they were just bantering so whatever.

She's the writer anime deserves. ;p

duckroll

To be honest, any writer with writing ability, personal drive, without a high expectation for their career, would be fine as an anime writer. The medium has tons of range, almost no topic is taboo, the fanbase has low standards, and even when you fail spectacularly, no one will remember because the core audience is tiny. Great place for writers to experiment and get experience.

I'm not sure what you wanted, but Koufuku Graffiti is really good, one of Shaft's best works. I appreciated its emotional sincerity.

I think this is probably her biggest strength. She often fails to achieve the desired effect, in me at least, but I've never read her attempts to get there as disingenuous.

Edit: I think I'll take a look at Koufuku Graffiti

blurr

My Hero Academia 03

Great episode, I actually didn't expect "training" episode to be this good.

To be honest, any writer with writing ability, personal drive, without a high expectation for their career, would be fine as an anime writer. The medium has tons of range, almost no topic is taboo, the fanbase has low standards, and even when you fail spectacularly, no one will remember because the core audience is tiny. Great place for writers to experiment and get experience.

I saw a video that said anime is a "pulpy" medium for this reason (it was a Folding Ideas video).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom