• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Reiko Yoshida has written scripts for more anime in 2015-2016 than Mari Okada has.

Yoshida:
Tamayura movies
Castle Town Dandelion
Non Non Biyori Repeat
Yowamushi Pedal movie
Girls und Panzer movie
Aria the Avvenire
Haruchika
Aokana
Phantom World (2 episodes)
High School Fleet
Cheer Boys
Koe no Katachi

Okada:
Koufuku Graffiti
Kaiketsu Zorori movie
Anthem of the Heart
Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
Lost Village
Kiznaiver
I'm just glad to see someone is managing to make some kind of living as an anime writer, even if you do have to be fairly prolific.

Exalted

Kuma Miko Episode 3

Found it more funny than the last episode. The first half with the dancing and music was the best. The dress up and the fashion show in the second part was ok, didn't really like Yoshio, and that one scene with him and Miko was strange, don't think this show really needs that.

o89yFln.png

LYWtndl.png

phaze

Tsuritama 7-12 END

I think it's one of the very few cases where, to my astonishment, I preferred the more calm and character focused first half as compared to second, with its big alien threat. Which is not to say the second half was bad or anything, bah it's better than most, exceedingly competent at tying up plot lines and character arcs and I struggle really to come with any actual, valid complaints. I guess the Haru drama could be dealt with a bit faster ? Or that given the upbeat nature of the show, the big threat never really felt dangerous ? Which put a bit of a damper on my enjoyment. Nonetheless, very good show, great opening, would fish again. It's probably put somewhere in the vicinity of Trapeze for me. I guess it's up to C to beat Mononoke as my favourite from Nakamura !

Kuma Miko - 03

There were plenty of funny bits in this episode, with some nice lively animation to boot!
The escalating peek scene felt like it went too far to prove its point though, it definitely could've been executed in another way.

Exalted

Re Zero Episode 3

Still continues to be the best fantasy show this season. Lots of stuff happened in this episode, and it looks like we will finally go past the first day for once. Looking forward to next week.

duckroll

I watched the climax of Sword of the Stranger again. I really think such action will never be topped in animation ever. Gawd Damn.

Ascheroth

Re:Zero - 03

Wow, that was impressive. Elsa is something else. What do you do if your foot gets frozen to the floor? Easy, you just slice of the skin on your sole along with the ice.
Lots of crazy action this time, with even Subaru joining a bit, but he's obviously way out of his league most of the time.
Good thing Reinhard makes it in time to save the day.

"I would rather not use violence on a woman."
Proceeds to roundhouse kick her so hard she flies meters away.
Lol, Reinhard.

I just love the character interactions and dialogue here. They just ...flow. There's also some nice subtle worldbuilding being casually mentioned here and there. It seems the stolen insignia is pretty important...
And it looks like Subaru has finally accomplished his mission, heh.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure Movie

Or maybe I should say movies. Or one movie with 3 stories in 3 different animation styles. Interesting move, but it's likely to result in all of them being half-baked. Did that happen?

Cure Flora and the Mischievous Mirror

This is basically a Pixar short before one of their movies. Silent, cute animation, and just having Flora bond with some little creatures. Not much to say here really.

The Pumpkin Kingdom's Treasure

The main event. Huh, Twinkle getting the kill is unusual. Poor Yui (or maybe lucky Yui) gets left behind. Weird how Towa is the only one being suspicious of everything when they were dragged here by force. And why did she never tell Minami and Kirara to be careful? Surprised Aroma and Pafu didn't call Haruka fat, especially with how she was eating this movie. Aroma is the true hero flying up and down and up and down. Nice fights as usual. Don't underestimate the pumpkin fairies in a fight. Oh hey, the princess gets to do something at the end.

Pretty predictable. Nothing too amazing or annoying. It was just okay. I don't have anything to say other than yup, that's a Precure movie.

Precure and Leffy's Wonder Night

So this is basically a CG episode. Weird that there are two separate kingdoms that revolve around pumpkins. The CG feels weird at times, but it does give a different atmosphere, which is nice. Leffy isn't a Precure, but she is far from helpless, which is a nice change of pace from that other princess. She does more and gets more development in less time too. Fights are surprisingly decent. Night Pumpkin has a nice design. Hah, bowling with pumpkins. Everyone gets to contribute to the win, and pumpkins all around the world sigh in relief. Unless they're on Earth. Oh, so the ed was basically created for this movie. No wonder it looked so different from the norm.

Surprisingly, this was the best part. The CG animation was a nice change of pace, and Leffy was a decent character for this sort of thing. It helps that she had a nice design that made her look like a Cure. Future movies need to make their co-stars more like her, that's for sure. This one is worth a watch.

Kumamiko looks like it could be a really fun show if it would just drop the segments where it makes the viewer feel like a pedophile.

Yeah Yoshio needs to have his unsupervised access to a minor rights taken away, what on earth was that note about 'Yoshio does not tolerate groundless discrimination' about? Are we supposed to laugh at him pinning a 13/14 year old to the ground in her underwear because he's so into civil rights? I mean her tears, shaking and wobbly voice for the next few lines really kill any attempt to play it off as 'fun'.

Hacks me off because the jokes around kagura were well done but wow that was horrible.

Exalted

Yep, the whole episode had a lot of neat action scenes.
Although the one from the screenshot was the most stylistic one, I hope there will be more of that.

Yeah this episode had surprisingly good animation scenes. The first episode in comparison had some rough spots ( mostly crowd shots) but the show has been improving since then, in both animations and story wise.

Mailbox

Ojisan and Marshmallow Episode 13

so they release a special for the home release and its on crunchyroll now...

its.... .....

interesting to say the least...

Dragon Ball Super 39

The opponent in this match is Hit. He can skip/pause time for .1 seconds, so with Dragon Ball speed that is extremely significant. Like a mini za warudo. In the last episode, Goku managed to get around this by guessing where he would hit before he used his time skip.

So what does Hit do to retaliate? He imitates Goku powering up and improves himself, making it so he can do it for .2 seconds!!!!!! And then for .5!!

So Goku does what is probably the most :dragonballz thing I've ever seen

and then Goku manages to be fast enough to move in the frozen time and uses a kamehameha so powerful the opening plays

and the match still isn't over

fucking dragon ball

Qurupeke

Kumamiko also falls into one of my most hated comedy traps, confusing random with funny.

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. Jokes seem pretty straight to me. The show has an odd premise, but everything so far has been around that. It would be one of the last shows I'd call random.

So is Hunter dub only available on Toonami or does someone offer an official stream?

Edit danger zone, don't hurt me :v
Just reread the OP, should be bolded for fools like me.

JulianImp

Re:Zero #3
I seriously didn't expect this show to be among the best ones this season, but I'm liking it quite a bit so far. The characters appear to be more than one-dimensional entities built entirely around a single characterization trope, and the're several things that remain unexplained while still hinting a bit a what might be coming later from those plot points. Cryptic plots that do come with a couple hints to them are something I really like to see (ie: it was the main reason my cousin and I kept watching Mushi-Uta), since I'm interested in slowly learning more about the world, characters and plot without exposition dumps being used as an easy way out to explain things to the audience.

Also, the rule about spellcasters drawing mana from the environment is really interesting, since it's novel to me and makes for some interesting magic system where casting strong spells eats up too much environmental mana to the point other spells can't even be cast. I bet it isn't an entirely new concept, but I hadn't seen it before and it does seem pretty creative while opening up a lot of plot/design space around it, which is definitely something I'm glad to see.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. Jokes seem pretty straight to me. The show has an odd premise, but everything so far has been around that. It would be one of the last shows I'd call random.

Always got the sense that the creators were relying on the premise to carry everything mainly because it is so wacky and random and also attempting to derive humor from playing things straight. Also, a show like certainly falls into the random category just on premise alone.

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 1-2

CgROsIxVIAADDYd.jpg

In the Court of the Crimson King?

This show is weird and has a style more reminiscent of something you'd find on Adult Swim...but I like it. I didn't know about the 1st episode but I think the 2nd one made me come around.

Ojisan and Marshmallow 13

What the fuck? What the fuck? I guess they decided to just get weird with it in this OVA.

Somehow, I'm really glad I chose Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold as my self flagellation device instead of Super.

Super is fun tho...

Always got the sense that the creators were relying on the premise to carry everything mainly because it is so wacky and random and also attempting to derive humor from playing things straight. Also, a show like certainly falls into the random category just on premise alone.

Talking animals are a long-time staple of cartoons; they aren't exactly "random".

ibyea

Banned
Ace Attorney: 3
They really cheaped out for this show, sheesh.

They also really blazed through the whole thing.

At least finding out what the Japanese counterpart of the characters are like is entertaining. Masaru Konaka's english habit was really funny.

MY HERO ACADEMIA - 3

BEAUTIFUL. THIS IS FREAKING BEAUTIFUL.

No seriously guys, the music, All Might, the training segment, the all of it. THE MUSIC. It's all so good. DID I MENTION THAT THE MUSIC IS GOOD?!?

Like, there's just something about Izuku that I just enjoy so much. Dude's so crushed by the weight of reality around him that the fact that somebody, just one guy, the guy he always looked up to nonetheless, tells him that he's got a chance at achieving his dreams after constantly being told that he's got no chance sends him to tears. Then in this episode with him accomplishing the arduous task of cleaning up the beach in ten months and seeing him triumphantly roar in victory put the biggest smile on my face.

Then there's All Might basically being the Kamina to Izuku's Simon, which I feel is self-explanatory to how much I like this show.

There's just an earnest, most sincere feeling about this show that I find myself unable to find in non-Shounen/Super Robot/Magical Girl shows. This is upbeat awesome Shounen in its purest form. Already I'm engrossed with this show's characters and world that I'm almost tempted to just dive right into the manga and catch up.

This show is great.

Trickster

My Hero Academia

I'd forgotten from trying to read the manga some time ago. But good fucking god the pacing in the show is horrid. 3 episodes in and all of it could easily have fit in the first episode.

My Hero Academia

I'd forgotten from trying to read the manga some time ago. But good fucking god the pacing in the show is horrid. 3 episodes in and all of it could easily have fit in the first episode.

I'm not sure why you would want them to go fast and burn through all the material? The series isn't even two years old, of course they are going a bit slow. It's not hampering the show.

Unfortunately that's an issue which isn't isolated just to one anime series!

thanks nisio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom