• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haifuri performs quite well on Amazon. Took the Japanese anime industry long enough to embrace the military otaku demographics.
I'm kind surprised how isolated all the specific groups are.

pbayne

12-sai 2

Two people hate each other+do one nice thing for each other=anime logic, they must be in love.
Can't fault the show for how earnest it is and I appreciate that it is trying to balance two main relationships. But jesus the show can still pull out a lot of WTF was that moments and humor is really cringey. Dropped.

Anne Happy 2

Show is still pure madness, it changes art style every five seconds and the gags have a very shotgun approach of hits and misses. I still think there's something more going on in the show than it seems and i mean its obvious in this episode that the school is intentionally messing with the girls.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be honest, any writer with writing ability, personal drive, without a high expectation for their career, would be fine as an anime writer. The medium has tons of range, almost no topic is taboo, the fanbase has low standards, and even when you fail spectacularly, no one will remember because the core audience is tiny. Great place for writers to experiment and get experience.
Have there been any anime writers who have grown up and worked on big people films/tv?

I decided to look into what Okada has done so far since people seem to be saying a lot about her here,

Seems like I've liked quite a few things she's done as Series composition
But in stuff she's written scripts for, its been super inconsistent

Theres stuff I liked(Despite their flaws, of which I am fully aware) like: Anohana, Gosick, Hanasaku Iroha, and Toradora!

But then there's stuff like Wixoss (there are others on the list like Fate/Stay night(deen) and Kodomo no Jikan that I assume are bad, but I haven't actually watched) that had bad writing put into its characters and scenarios. I don't think it was phoned in either because Wixoss is a pretty big series and I don't think anyone'd phone it in that much.

I've been liking the writing in Kiznaiver, but I'm a bit worried now...

should I be worried, or am I over reacting here?

I dont know. Expecting a writer to be consistent seems like itd be a difficult or impossible task. I love the great Emily Dickinson however its not like everything shes done is the same definitive quality or even memorable.

Okada is great for mecha though, M3 is litrally still the best non gundam mecha of the times.

Shounen Maid 02

YCY0AdV.jpg
WvQpZv5.jpg

Another great episode. Combines the humorous bits with the cute, warm and fuzzy bites as well. Also still waiting to find out what's up with those cool guys in the ED.

Sousei no Onmyouji 02

Looks like this might be my battle anime of the season. Was happy to see the girl wasn't using her full strength during the fight in the previous episode.

The overly melodramatic Okada stuff does nothing to me.

There is a fine line when self-reflection gets silly. Hidamari did it fine while Koufuku Graffiti was unbelievable silly in that regard.

Koufuku Graffiti isn't particularly melodramatic, certainly no more than your average slice-of-life show. I feel it's more effective than Hidamari Sketch, though a lot of that is due to the stronger visual direction.

Have there been any anime writers who have grown up and worked on big people films/tv?

There aren't any examples of writers who stopped writing for anime in favor of live-action I can think of - unless you count Mamoru Oshii, as duckroll mentioned, who writes for himself and has stopped directing anime in favor of live-action films. It's more common to see writers who have been based in live-action to come on board an anime production, such as Izumi Kizara on Hal or Kazunao Furuya on Blood Blockade Battlefront.

Shounen Maid 02

Another great episode. Combines the humorous bits with the cute, warm and fuzzy bites as well. Also still waiting to find out what's up with those cool guys in the ED.

Sousei no Onmyouji 02

Looks like this might be my battle anime of the season. Was happy to see the girl wasn't using her full strength during the fight in the previous episode.

They seemed to be on a billboard in the shonen maid episode. I wonder if they will appear soon.

duckroll

I think it's pretty rare (or it just doesn't happen) that someone starts out writing anime and then "graduates" to better stuff later. But it is not that rare for people to establish themselves as writers elsewhere (books, live action, plays, etc) and then dabble in anime from time to time while also writing for the other stuff they do.

Haifuri performs quite well on Amazon. Took the Japanese anime industry long enough to embrace the military otaku demographics.
I'm kind surprised how isolated all the specific groups are.

Huh, Strike Witches, Girls und Panzer, Arpeggio and Kancolle(even with that crappy plot) all did very well in sales, especially GuP OVA still in the oricon top 100 weekly ranking after almost 2 years.
The fact that this show clearly shows Aniplex just want to eat the pie too lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it's pretty rare (or it just doesn't happen) that someone starts out writing anime and then "graduates" to better stuff later. But it is not that rare for people to establish themselves as writers elsewhere (books, live action, plays, etc) and then dabble in anime from time to time while also writing for the other stuff they do.
Well, you just said that it's a place for writers to get experience... but to what end? Without Ghibli, there isn't really a brass ring to try to reach anymore. Okada is basically the anime equivalent of Vince Gilligan or Damon Lindeloff... which I don't know is a good thing or a bad thing for the medium.

You know, it's funny. Joss Whedon wrote as a staff writer on Roseanne and basically graduated to being King Marvel over the course of 2 decades. But I guess anime really isn't a writer's medium. lol

duckroll

Well, you just said that it's a place for writers to get experience... but to what end? Without Ghibli, there isn't really a brass ring to try to reach anymore. Okada is basically the anime equivalent of Vince Gilligan or Damon Lindeloff... which I don't know is a good thing or a bad thing for the medium.

You know, it's funny. Joss Whedon wrote as a staff writer on Roseanne and basically graduated to being King Marvel over the course of 2 decades. But I guess anime really isn't a writer's medium. lol

Did you miss the part about having low expectations for their career? Lol. It's a good place to just write if you like writing I feel, but yeah nothing seems to come out of it. If you're okay with that, you still get paid doing it, and you can get pretty prolific within the industry even if no one cares!

cntr

Banned
No one will care on a larger scale, but have you seen anime fans? If they like you, you get a dedicated fanbase.

Clov

I know Shuji Iwai did this for The Case of Hana and Alice (which I really enjoyed) and a short web series called Town Workers. Any other predominately live-action directors end up doing an anime or two?

I haven't actually seen any of Anno's live action work. I feel like I should at least give it a try. For Oshii's live action output, all I've seen is The Red Spectacles. Found it a bit strange... I'll probably give some of his other live action works a look later. At least the live action Patabor films.

duckroll

I know Shuji Iwai did this for The Case of Hana and Alice (which I really enjoyed) and a short web series called Town Workers. Any other predominately live-action directors end up doing an anime or two?

I haven't actually seen any of Anno's live action work. I feel like I should at least give it a try. For Oshii's live action output, all I've seen is The Red Spectacles. Found it a bit strange... I'll probably give some of his other live action works a look later. At least the live action Patabor films.

Katsuyuki Motohiro is a pretty well known live-action director in Japan who crossed over to anime with Psycho-Pass and now the upcoming FLCL sequels.

The way I see it, anime feels a bit like a playground in the Japanese entertainment industry. If all you've ever done is anime, it's hard to break out beyond that, but if you've done other stuff and you just want to mess around in the playground for fun, you're generally more than welcome to. I wonder if that's an accurate assessment.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Episode 3:

Well done MHA, you actually managed to pull off another interesting idea that I have yet to really see explored in superhero anime, and I suppose there are enough titles to call this a thing now. Anyway, we get the stock training episode because I think MHA is require by law to have being both a shonen and superhero show and executes things in a competent yet unremarkable fashion.
Anyway, the concept I am interested in seeing is the idea of a superhero mantle, though I suspect Deku Scrub here will have his own identity. Still, I like the idea of exploring the rise of an actual ordained successor. Basically, Decker isn't Batman, he is The Green Lantern.

Well, you just said that it's a place for writers to get experience... but to what end? Without Ghibli, there isn't really a brass ring to try to reach anymore.

Even when Ghibli was active it wasn't exactly a place for writers to aspire to. Hayao Miyazaki wrote most Ghibli scripts himself!

Aside from a relatively small circle of prestige films, I don't think the standard of writing in Japanese live-action is much higher than the standard of writing in anime. So there's really nothing to "graduate" into.

Paprika

While I felt like the plot got a bit too jumbled towards the end, it's yet another masterful film from Satoshi Kon in some regards.

This guy has (or had :[ ) a stupidly good filmography.

Is "Memories" worth checking out? If I'm reading this right on MAL he was involved as art director, did the layout, and did the script for the first part out of three.

And I suppose I should watch Paranoia Agent too.

Koufuku Graffiti isn't particularly melodramatic, certainly no more than your average slice-of-life show. I feel it's more effective than Hidamari Sketch, though a lot of that is due to the stronger visual direction.

Episodes like the second one or about the grandmother were pretty over the top melodramatic.

Koufuku was the best when the amount of monologues was reduced to a minimum like in episode 3 and 7 - when character developement like Siina and Ryou becoming friends was told in a more natural way.

Huh, Strike Witches, Girls und Panzer, Arpeggio and Kancolle(even with that crappy plot) all did very well in sales, especially GuP OVA still in the oricon top 100 weekly ranking after almost 2 years.
The fact that this show clearly shows Aniplex just want to eat the pie too lol.

Strike Witches and GuP are already years old - Strike Witches even a decade old. And although many of the military themed shows are selling quite alot of BDs and merchandise, the output of such shows is pretty low, while we are getting mecha shows like crazy although they are bombing left and right.
For some reasons the Anime industry is pretty slow at adopting to new markets.

Episodes like the second one or about the grandmother were pretty over the top melodramatic.

Koufuku was the best when the amount of monologues was reduced to a minimum like in episode 3 and 7 - when character developement like Siina and Ryou becoming friends was told in a more natural way.

I guess there isn't much to say beyond I can't see what you're talking about. (I'm not even sure what you mean by the episode "about the grandmother" considering Ryou's deceased grandmother was a constant presence in the show from beginning to end.) If you want to see a cute girl show that is truly over-the-top melodramatic, you should watch Hanayamata.

Clov

Katsuyuki Motohiro is a pretty well known live-action director in Japan who crossed over to anime with Psycho-Pass and now the upcoming FLCL sequels.

Interesting. I don't have any strong feelings on the Psycho-Pass movie, and I haven't seen his live action work. I hope he'll be a good fit for FLCL.

I guess there isn't much to say beyond I can't see what you're talking about. (I'm not even sure what you mean by the episode "about the grandmother" considering Ryou's deceased grandmother was a constant presence in the show from beginning to end.) If you want to see a cute girl show that is truly over-the-top melodramatic, you should watch Hanayamata.

Looking at the fact that there was only a single dedicated episode about the grandmother. It shouldn't be that hard to realize which episode I mean.

And I don't like the character designs in Hanayamata so it was never on my watchlist. But it wouldn't change anything about Koufuku Graffiti even if it Hanayamati is even more over the top in playing out the same mono no aware antics. .

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No actually I believe he specifically said he took on the Godzilla gig because he had writer's block for Eva 4.0 or something. LOL!
I hope it's just 2 hours of clapping followed by a live action scene featuring the voice actors in a completely out of context story segment.

Jex

Did you miss the part about having low expectations for their career? Lol. It's a good place to just write if you like writing I feel, but yeah nothing seems to come out of it. If you're okay with that, you still get paid doing it, and you can get pretty prolific within the industry even if no one cares!
But can you even get prolific when Okada is already writing half of the shows airing every season? Where's the room for someone else to get some of that pie?

phaze

Flying Witch 02

I might have spoken too soon about about this not putting me to sleep. lol

Boku no Hero Academia 03

zzzzzzz. Even with the slightly picked up pace, this dragged quite a bit as nothing interesting happened in the training part. At least it was still relatively short for a shounen material.

Rip Yoshida.

Reiko Yoshida has written scripts for more anime in 2015-2016 than Mari Okada has.

Yoshida:
Tamayura movies
Castle Town Dandelion
Non Non Biyori Repeat
Yowamushi Pedal movie
Girls und Panzer movie
Aria the Avvenire
Haruchika
Aokana
Phantom World (2 episodes)
High School Fleet
Cheer Boys
Koe no Katachi

Okada:
Koufuku Graffiti
Kaiketsu Zorori movie
Anthem of the Heart
Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
Lost Village
Kiznaiver

Cornbread78

G Gundam ep. 14
Master Asia
you bastard, what have you done!?
... I think Domon is completely broken at this moment after those shocking events. Time for Rain to pour on her charm for the man.

Narag

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 2

I hope the show manages to maintain this energy. Even with its goofyass premise, it's still less anime than most anime and refreshing as a consequence.

Narag

Flying Witch 2

Show stands to be great so long as it doesn't stray from the intersection of a regular world and a magical world in harmony.

edit: Maybe it's time to rethink that longtime strategy of pre-staging a post in a new tab, writing a brief impression, and hitting submit without actually looking at thread activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom