• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

petran79

Banned
Very interesting. I wonder why B/W cost more than color animation at that time. Unfortunately, the copy of Gunbuster DVD I own (Honneamise DVD copy), the B/W image dont look as sharp as the color image from the other episode. I wonder if this is fix on the Blu-Ray version.

It was colored in grayscale and scanned with a b/w camera

blurr

download_1.png

This character feels like she belongs in a better show.

Many bad shows have that one character. It's sad.

With those mecha designs? I seriously doubt that.

It's probably nowhere near as annoying as listening to nintendoman58 hype up two random new mecha shows over the past two years because one had a guy who worked on E7 on the project and the other had 2D Super Robots (with lolis on the cover that he chose to ignore).

He didn't listen to anybody who said they were gonna be crap but he still got hyped regardless! And wouldn't you know it, they were crap and he pretty much made a fool of himself even entertaining the possibility that they might have been good.

Do you really want that nintendoman58 back?

Believe in the duckroll that believes in you
r opinions.

Sound! Euphonium S2 ep 1-13
Overall I liked it nearly as much as the first season.
At times it felt less focused than the first season, spreading itself too thin with too many plot lines. Also I'm really puzzled by the decision in the "last" episode to
not show the concert. What was that all about? It's their most important performance and in past episodes the band's performances are sometimes shown at great length.
From what I've gathered there a two movies planned, a recap movie and a movie with a new story, is that correct?

Quasar

Natsume Go 10 - Excellent start to the final two parter. Always love exorcist focused stories and stories with Natori. Its really been a good season, even it had a criminal lack of my favourite supporting character Hinoe. Well one of, my favourite might be Sasada.

/XX/

Very interesting. I wonder why B/W cost more than color animation at that time.
It was colored in grayscale and scanned with a b/w camera
Not only the photography process was more complex; add that for episodes 5 & 6 it was already costly in comparison to the previous ones due to using 35mm, and episode 6 of Aim for the Top! Gunbuster in particular was shot on a non-anamorphic widescreen 16:9 ratio which is an inefficient use of that film format, plus other one of the reasons was the little planning behind Hideaki Anno's decision (that stubbornly didn't want to decolourise it during post-production). As type-r (@hitasuraeiga) fact-checked, for the colour coordination on the project it was deemed necessary to reformulate the colour sample for the painters due to the insufficient "10-tone grey charts" used for the previous episodes. No planners were experts on designing monochrome charts that took advantage of the innate contrast accentuation, simplicity and novelty Mr. Anno wanted from this, which made it the most difficult, time-consuming and subsequently expensive part of the production.

Also, the main photography was shot on colour film because the B&W film would have been even more of a money-sink, due to the (already at the time) unusual of the process and because of it the scarcity on specific film developer chemicals used.

phaze

Violet Evergarden confirmed for 2018 then:
https://twitter.com/Violet_Letter/status/874917490857578496

And the world premiere of Episode 1 will be at Anime Expo next month:
http://violet-evergarden.jp/news/?id=3

They'll also show episode 1 in Europe at AnimagiC 2017 and in Asia at C3 AFA SINGAPORE 2017. Both episode 1 and 2 will be shown at the KyoAniDo event in October.

Oh, and a PV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmApa2dBDPo

-

Such animation.

I hope chara design will be more akin to PV1.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.109
Yup, that was a cheesy episode of Fairy Tail that leaves you grinning from ear to ear with its stupidity and fun. Those Lucy doll attacks were priceless; friggen Natsu fire ball comet attack ftw.. good stuff!

blurr

It's probably nowhere near as annoying as listening to nintendoman58 hype up two random new mecha shows over the past two years because one had a guy who worked on E7 on the project and the other had 2D Super Robots (with lolis on the cover that he chose to ignore).

He didn't listen to anybody who said they were gonna be crap but he still got hyped regardless! And wouldn't you know it, they were crap and he pretty much made a fool of himself even entertaining the possibility that they might have been good.

Well, it's okay to be wrong sometimes but not okay to resort to such an unhealthy behavior worrying you might be wrong again. It's clearly bothering the others reading the thread even if you are fine with it right now.

I told you in Discord too, think about what and where you felt wrong and learn from it than worry about when you might go wrong again.

petran79

Banned
Not only the photography process was more complex; add that for episodes 5 & 6 it was already costly in comparison to the previous ones due to using 35mm, and episode 6 of Aim for the Top! Gunbuster in particular was shot on a non-anamorphic widescreen 16:9 ratio which is an inefficient use of that film format, plus other one of the reasons was the little planning behind Hideaki Anno's decision (that stubbornly didn't want to decolourise it during post-production). As type-r (@hitasuraeiga) fact-checked, for the colour coordination on the project it was deemed necessary to reformulate the colour sample for the painters due to the insufficient "10-tone grey charts" used for the previous episodes. No planners were experts on designing monochrome charts that took advantage of the innate contrast accentuation, simplicity and novelty Mr. Anno wanted from this, which made it the most difficult, time-consuming and subsequently expensive part of the production.

Also, the main photography was shot on colour film because the B&W film would have been even more of a money-sink, due to the (already at the time) unusual of the process and because of it the scarcity on specific film developer chemicals used.

Thanks for the detailed and technical translation!

I'll keep it for future reference.

Ascheroth

Actually there's nothing wrong with being wrong and being hyped for something which turns out to be bad. Happens all the time. Current example seems to be Kado. (I haven't seen the infamous episode 9 yet).
And no one cares if 'you make a fool out of yourself' a few times. I don't think people are that petty.

And Comet Lucifer wasn't that bad! I liked it. Although it definitely needed more episodes.

blurr

Wow, TIL.

Going back and reading some of the comments, I feel like the only one who really enjoys Re:Creators haha.

Nah, I enjoy it quite a bit too, just people were so negative about it here I didn't think it was worth posting positively about it lol. I thought I was basically the only one who liked it lol.

Quasar

Nah, I enjoy it quite a bit too, just people were so negative about it here I didn't think it was worth posting positively about it lol. I thought I was basically the only one who liked it lol.

I'm really enjoying it, which is a surprise given I don't like these kinds of hero battle shows normally. I guess the metaness keeps me interested.

I found 10 pretty interesting. The temporary nature of the update, I guess that reflects ephemeral nature of twitter.

What's so bad about being wrong about a show?

Not even just anime but any show in general? Like seriously who gives a fuck that you thought a show was going to be good and it turned out it wasn't? It isn't like we make a big deal about people being wrong(unless that person is duckroll) about a show or that a mod is going to ban you for watching bad mecha anime.

Just let it go.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Going back and reading some of the comments, I feel like the only one who really enjoys Re:Creators haha.
How do people that like it compare it against Fate? Against the wealth of fantasy/action style shows that we have this year? I'm not someone that dislikes the show a considerable amount or anything but it's just a really bland knockoff in a space that is very crowded.

To even call Re:Creators a poor man's Fate is actually an insult to Fate.

I say that as someone who likes Re:Creators and adores Fate, but Re:Creators does not give me that Fate feel at all.

I say that as someone who likes Re:Creators and adores Fate, but Re:Creators does not give me that Fate feel at all.

The Fate series can give one many feels.

Pedo feels
Oh God please stop talking feels
Pedo feels
People die if they are killed feels

John Blade

Interesting tidbit I never know. Thanks for the info. I was wondering, if the quality of the transfer of the last episode of OVA look better on the Blu-ray which came out for a while. The DVD copy I own do look good for what they did but wondering if it get more better in Blu-ray.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Come on...it's like Fate but your OC is your spirit animal instead of some anime take on a historical figure.

I'm really enjoying it, which is a surprise given I don't like these kinds of hero battle shows normally. I guess the metaness keeps me interested.

I found 10 pretty interesting. The temporary nature of the update, I guess that reflects ephemeral nature of twitter.

You know I hadn't really thought about it when watching, but I totally think you're right now that I reflect on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom