• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
how so? I wanted FMP this year :(

Xebec has been way behind on their shows. For some reason, the scheduling started to fall apart late into Keijo resulting in them barely finishing in time. Right after they had Bang Dream in Winter that they punted off to Xebec Zwei but that wasn't enough and Bang Dream's production has been a shitshow for its entire broadcasting run. Then Xebec has Clockwork Planet airing this season that looks as if it also is suffering as there has been a dearth of animation shown. Not to mention Yamato 2202 in the background which supposedly had a noticeable quality drop compared to 2199 but that could also be due to the staff involved. The point is that Xebec bit off way more than they can chew and are playing catchup.

Now normally Xebec could try and outsource episodes of FMP however the problem is that they have to largely do the entire show in-house barring things like the backgrounds due to Nishii's CG/2D style. It's also a more intensive production than pretty much anything else Xebec is doing besides Yamato due to both mechs and the general higher quality. Well there is Fafner but that shit ain't coming out till 2019 at the earliest anyway.

I imagine it's less that the show itself is falling behind but rather everything else Xebec is working on. It's a great thing though that they're willing to push back the broadcasting date to maintain the quality they're aiming for rather than just shove it out the door. There isn't a reason it has to air this year to begin with as the release isn't tied to a novel publishing date or anything of that nature. Besides next year is better for marketing reasons anyway as it would be FMP's 20th initial publishing anniversary.

Ascheroth

Sagrada is a Sentai license, rather than something directly picked up via Amazon. It probably depends entirely on what regions Sentai picked the license up for, and which of those they passed on via their Amazon deal. Amazon aren't necessarily going to go the extra mile CR did in ensure non-US rights given they don't have a dedicated anime service in those countries, and Sentai won't necessarily push if the recompense doesn't offset what they may lose in sublicening income for home release rights for things they have additional English territories for. Basically, Yeah, there's a good chance that we may be screwed in streaming for at least a subset of those titles outside the US.

That said, the Noitamina license for the season, Saekano, looks to be up in the US already at least.
Arrrgh.

-----
Youjo Senki #11

cRItimM.jpg
tFVFCTw.jpg

That battle was sick.
Now I'm curious how this will end and what Tanya will do.

Maid Dragon Episode 13 (Season Finale)

Not quite what I thought it'd be, but I'll admit, I had a feeling they were building up to this, and the result is quite satisfying. The subject of this episode was actually far less dramatic in the manga, I'm guessing the writers and the mangaka decided Tohru's father was a bit too downplayed in the source material, so they gave him a greater role and much more gravitas.
Kobayashi's Kirk Summation
near the end was beautiful.

Now, to wait for the manga to get far enough that we can get Iruru in this show.

They probably will appear, but mostly in cameos or scenes from the original series shown from a different perspective

Well, outside of the intro where it is Blondie saving Bell and him running away...I'm trying to think if they ever show up again...I think Hestia does at some God gathering...maybe...

It starts out as a kind of like...cute little spin off since there are a lot of girls in Loki familia but if the LN is anything like the manga it drops that shit really quick and has a pretty involved plot and development of it's characters. Shit gets real pretty climactically in it.

One of those series I didn't expect anything from like Railgun but turned out the writer/artist gave a shit and put in work and it became a lot better than one would expect (unlike Railgun)

petran79

Banned
hmm.

Alright been awhile, but I cleared yet another show off my list with Ben-to.

Now I'm looking for something a little bit more emotionally charged. I've already seen all the Clannad, Anohana, Your Lie in April, etc...

What else is out there (under 50 episode <24 and under preferred>) that I should watch that has an emotional edge to it?

Not too worried about the genre, I just want it to be compelling and hold some emotional interest to me.

Hanada Shonen-shi is an emotional rollercoaster. There's no other series like it.

Human Crossing is similar, though more down to earth and realistic.

hmm.

Now I'm looking for something a little bit more emotionally charged. I've already seen all the Clannad, Anohana, Your Lie in April, etc...

What else is out there (under 50 episode <24 and under preferred>) that I should watch that has an emotional edge to it?

Not too worried about the genre, I just want it to be compelling and hold some emotional interest to me.

DjZmvIc.gif

MAL, just in case:
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cornbread78

M3
Chaos Dragon
Glasslip

Ahhh what a time to be alive, it seems like Sentai as decided to give us Canadian the ultimate anime experience for this season!

On other news

Boruto episode 1

That was a super great first episode. First that opening moment was absolutely crazy! I loved every second of it and it really makes you say, but what the heck happened!?

As for the episode itself, Boruto is so full of personality and so his the rest of cast we saw so far. Mainly Denki and Shikadai this episode. I loved the future looking Konoha and how NEW generation the opening felt with all the crazy colors going around. The familiy moment and how sweet Boruto is to his sister gave me a huge smile. 10/10 for that first episode Boruto. Your energy will drive my Thursdays!

Nice new visual for Welcome to the Ballroom
Holy shit....that looks so good! I am so hyped for Welcome to the Ballroom!

Aiii

So not worth it
I am pretty bummed I won't be getting my weekly MaidDragon anymore. I will miss this show a lot. Please come back (soon).

Peco

hmm.

DjZmvIc.gif

MAL, just in case:
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cornbread78

I don't know you but taking a quick look at your mal profile I think you might enjoy Ga-Rei Zero.

Well, outside of the intro where it is Blondie saving Bell and him running away...I'm trying to think if they ever show up again...I think Hestia does at some God gathering...maybe...

It starts out as a kind of like...cute little spin off since there are a lot of girls in Loki familia but if the LN is anything like the manga it drops that shit really quick and has a pretty involved plot and development of it's characters. Shit gets real pretty climactically in it.

One of those series I didn't expect anything from like Railgun but turned out the writer/artist gave a shit and put in work and it became a lot better than one would expect (unlike Railgun)

Later on they show Bell getting made fun of in the pub and then him getting trained by Ais. Depends how far they make it

zulux21

I don't know you but taking a quick look at your mal profile I think you might enjoy Ga-Rei Zero.

ah... ga-rei zero.

a
great single episode anime followed by a decent sequel >.>

and yes that is actually a series spoiler lol.

from what I know the girls in a dungeon spin off came to be because the author's editor was worried that he would do a story focused on blondie... and didn't think she could support a story... and the author was all like "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!" as he didn't want to have such a boring love interest that she couldn't stand on her own lol.

Hellraider

Maid Dragon 13

That was lovely, just like the rest of the series, as soon as it started rolling after the first couple so-so episodes. Extremely satisfied, can't wait for whatever KyoAni is doing next.

KraytarJ

Kobayashi 13
A nice heart-warming end to what turned out to be a really solid show, maybe even top 3 of the season, somewhat surprisingly.

Sakura Quest 1
Actually pretty damn funny and by far the best thing I've seen this season, though that's not nearly as strong a compliment as it should be.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sakura Quest Episode 1:

So I suppose we are going to be getting these Shirobako but X kind of shows for a measure of time and I am on board with this idea. Indeed this one is coming from PA Works so that is actually a point in its favor. Indeed I find the show very relatable, uncomfortably relatable a times but I am not completely sold on this royalty tourism gimmick yet. Though I suppose my biggest concern is they are going to start deifying this burnt out shell of a rural shithole which is not a message I am very amiable towards here in the year of 2017.

Qurupeke

Maidragon [END]

Fantastic finale, it couldn't be any better.

Really loved the series, I'm very surprised it managed to surpass my initial expectations. There were certain questionable elements throughout the season, but fortunately, the nature of the show emphasizes other aspects of it more. Themes like human relationships, family and fitting in society were prevalent and connected the characters pretty well. Also, really glad KyoAni took care of it, as the show was full of cute interactions and random details that elevated the source material and made it a lot more charming.

Anyway, I kind of want a 2nd season eventually, as long as they skip a hideous thing.

Quasar

Hmm...so the season has started and I've noticed so far than none of the Amazon shows have shown up on Prime Video in Australia, unlike past seasons. Has me wondering if all those shows will just be US only.

Has Sakurada Reset for instance appeared in any other non US region Prime Video?

Sterok

Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 13

Good finale to an alright show. Lots of emphasis on feels, which kind of dulled the more poignant moments I think, but they still usually worked, and the characters were nice, so I enjoyed it.

Hmm...so the season has started and I've noticed so far than none of the Amazon shows have shown up on Prime Video in Australia, unlike past seasons. Has me wondering if all those shows will just be US only.

Has Sakurada Reset for instance appeared in any other non US region Prime Video?

They have not. Seems it's US only. Great news right?

Qurupeke

Sakura Quest 1

...And that's why you shouldn't put your signature on something you haven't read.

Pretty cute start. It had its moments and we got to see a lot of weird people who probably will make this entertaining.

Cornbread78

Casshern Sins ep.1
Poor Ringo.. Thus is a terrible dark work for a setting. Are there even any humans left alive? Cassern did nothing wrong; that we/he know of so far...

Casshern Sins ep. 2
Whelp, sorry robot population you've met your maker. This guy has no clue what he's doing, but he is a ruthless bastard..

zulux21

How does anyone have time for anime when Persona 5 is out?

well I only have one ps4 and my wife has commandeered it for persona 5... thus...

Bakemonogatari 01

I had seen the first few eps of this series a long time ago.
forgot how much of a bitch the first female was.

zulux21

WHAT THE FUCK CORNBREAD GO BACK TO CASSHERN

cornbread goes through a lot of shows at once.

plus can't blame him for watching a better show like devil is a part timer over casshern :p

I mean it's always sad when he goes from something great like nana to stuff like ben-to :p

duckroll

So the other day I was asking about the threshold before people would bend over for something like Anime Strike. I guess the question now is, is it going to be this season, or is the pill of a dual subscription (Prime + Strike) still too bitter to swallow?

Dude, I gotta mix shit up. Fantastic Children episode next, lol.

GOOD.

So the other day I was asking about the threshold before people would bend over for something like Anime Strike. I guess the question now is, is it going to be this season, or is the pill of a dual subscription (Prime + Strike) still too bitter to swallow?

There's three anime Anime Strike is simulcasting this season that I'm interested in: Kabukibu, Bahamut Virgin Soul, and Atom the Beginning. That's not enough for me to pay twice and deal with Amazon's clunky UI.

If Amazon brings over the HD versions of older Shin-chan movies that they have on their Japanese site, I'll consider subscribing then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom