• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
speaking of webms, the last page sure sounds like the weird anime circle of hell when you enable sound with the webms for neogaf extension.

Quasar

they changed kitsu.io's rating system to 10 stars instead of 5 and now it sucks

I thought it justed returned the dumb option. It always had that and a 10 point option.

I do wish the simple was just 3 points. Yay, nay, and meh.

Speaking of ratings...really hate the Netflix system. No nuance at all.of course the prior system was terrible too. But this one makes me uninterested in rating anything.

John Blade

Now....I can see why some people saying Madlax is going off the rail a bit and stupid at the same time. Why am I still watching this still....sigh...

Beyblade Burst Episode 10: Get Over It! Trust in Valtryek! (engDub)
C82FGCFXgAAmP52.jpg:small

Honcho was hilarious especially with the teasing, actually everyone was. I was glad to see Valt this panicked and trying to find solutions from everyone. Yet seeing Wakiya face on all his friends was hilarious.

Injury plot with Shu is compelling. Wonder how it can be handled, especially since hes in the tourney. I liked the new pose he was at least trying.

Kado: The Right Answer 0-1
Definitely agree that this is a surprise for the season and Ep. 0 cannot be skipped. Not if you want to want understand why everyone is all "Shindo.... Shindo? Shindo!" all the time. I was actually impressed at points with how well the CGI matched the traditional animation, particularly whenever the CGI was motionless. It's only when movement began that it became obvious and even then I think it's still better than a lot of other attempts *cough*
Tsukigakirei
*cough*

Tsukigakirei 01
This was a lot better than I had feared. The story is whatever, but the execution I feel really drives this home and keeps it feeling interesting and meaningful. I think it's the first Drama/Romance to actually catch my attention this season.
Then again the only other romance is Arm Girls.

Clockwork Planet 01

I was excited for this based on the promise, but hooo boy, I think I'm in the camp that feels this is akin to hot trash. The art is ugh, the dialogue is cliche/tropey, and I can't get behind our lead at all. A guy I follow on Twitter reads and talks about a lot of Japanese Light Novels yet to be translated, apparently he felt this didn't do the series the justice it deserves, though I'm always hesitant to believe the idea that Light Novels are 10x better than their adaptations, especially after my experience with Devil is a Part-Timer.

The Very Lovely Tyrant of Love 01
This moves so fast, and flings so many jokes at you that even if one doesn't land another comes right along and eventually hits your funny bone. I think Sakura Quest is the better comedy, but this seems decent too.

Your Name
I finally got to see it!
This was beautiful. I loved the art, the story, the characters. I had a couple issues with a few transitions that left me briefly confused
Namely the first time Taki is in Mitsuha before we know it's him.
but most of my quibbles are minor. I think Shinkai is being hard on himself like most creators can be.

Watched in Dubbed since my father wanted to see it too and the only Japanese showing was ten at night near us. A bit too late for him. Despite that it's actually a really good dub
No idea about faithfulness though
Voices seem to match really well and the two leads do a great job of selling the body switching.

I also love the little touch at the end about
Mitsuha's father having articles written wondering what his hidden agenda is.
I bet it damaged his career.
Which is clearly set up for the sequel, Your Name 2: Timely Revenge, where he meets Taki and realizes he was who had possessed his daughter that day and murders him for destroying his career.

Jokes aside, I liked the film quite a bit. And it made me a little sad/surprised that the audience was basically absent. It was me, my Wife, my father and a lady who came in five minutes after the film started. Then another guy walked in god knows how long into the film, who then left twenty minutes before the ending! Oh well, grossing fingers our experience was just an anomaly. I'd hate for burgeoning anime at the theater to die out, at least before we get A Silent Voice out here.

Clov

Just got back from seeing Your Name at the theater. I was surprised by how much I liked it. It sticks with Shinkai's usual themes, but utilizes them in a fun and interesting new way. Having rewatched 5cm per Second last month, I definitely think that Your Name has it beat. It's by far Shinkai's best film. I'm actually looking forward to whatever he has lined up next.

Also found out that my fiance is a Japanese music hipster, since when the movie finished she told me that she liked Radwimps before this movie made them cool.

Berserk Season 2 Episode 1
download.png

I could be wrong, but I think they worked on Gut's model. He looks better than I remember him looking in the first season.

The same can't be said for others however. I'm starting to think the director has it out for Erica or something.

Busaiku

Oh my Gods, Your Name was amazing.
Even after hearing the hype, I was not expecting to love it as much as I did.

Good lords that was incredible.

Going again tomorrow, holy crap.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Probably a rash of Canadians watching Your Name since it finally opened here.

I'm sure it's been written about to death by now, so the only thing I can really say is that the one "gimmick" derailed the movie for me.

Namely, the comedy of errors climax when both characters realize that they've been travelling both through time and space. The movie sets up the fact that they may not have detailed memories of each other's lives, and perhaps you could handwave away the fact that they didn't try to contact each other during their swaps, but the fact that neither of them noticed the year? It just stretched incredulity a bit too far for me.

An easier solution would have just been to separate the characters through a greater period of time, but of course you wouldn't get the crowd pleasing ending. I dunno, once that revelation was made, I just couldn't accept the absurdity of the characters not recognizing the time change.

As for the movie, I also couldn't help but be reminded of the Star Trek TNG episode The Inner Light, which is similar in premise, but somehow much more in line with old Shinkai in terms of how it ends. That is to say, I can totally understand why this was the "breakout" movie for him - it's probably the most accessible film he has made after The Garden of Feet Words, and while it draws on many themes and images found in his previous films, it puts them all together into a romcom with a satisfying climax. (I don't even know if comparing this film to his other films is a spoiler or not, but oh well).

Still, I think I would have been happier with an ending that was more "low key". Maybe it didn't have to be depressing like Voices or 5cm, but something a little dialed down from what we ended up with. But I recognize that what I want is probably not what most people would want to see. lol

I don't know... I enjoyed the film, but I guess I expected something different from what I think of as a "Shinkai film". Here's hoping A Silent Voice, whenever I get to see that, leaves me more satisfied.

ēlDLIVE Episode 11 – Your Voice...
C82XpWtXUAAq414.jpg:small

I like Vega...but with news of a spy and his sudden appearance the chances of him being it are high. However, he fit right in with Chuuta, the visit to the art museum especially made him great. Funny scenes all around.

Best yet was another scene from Gucchi. I need more.

Re:Creators 01

"Hey girl you're from LN and i know every dialogue you said before" lol.
Actually, fine first episode, let's see will it become good or trainwreck.

Your Name

Just got back from the theatre and I have to say I can see why Your Name won so many awards. That was absolutely amazing and incredibly beautiful. I was enthralled throughout the entire story and by the time
the big twist involving time travel happened I was completely shocked and my attention was 100% on the screen. By the end of the film I just had tears in my eyes hoping Mitsuha survived and that she and Taki would end up together again

All in all, great film. 10/10. I watched the Japanese Subtitled version and I really want to rewatch it again, but in English so I can experience it twice.

Re:Creators 01

That was some hardcore-ass LN nonsense, and I don't even think this is based on an LN. It's still trying to be though.

Not really bad but my eyes started to glaze over at the ridiculous amount of broken German and superpower anime fights.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Huh... Had the English songs when we watched it subtitled in Japan.
That's weird. The songs were by a band called... Radwimp or something like that? Definitely Japanese.

I almost wanted to watch it again dubbed, just to see the difference, but I didn't feel like sitting there for another 3 hours. Maybe I'll catch it before it leaves Toronto.

Oh yeah, whoever subtitles movies... don't put that shit at the bottom. It was terrible because all I could see were heads blocking half the subtitles. Thankfully it's not that complicated so most people could follow along, but still. lol

duckroll

Rage of Bahamut - Virgin Soul - Episode 1

Damn that was outstanding. They really brought back all the elements I loved from the original. The 10 year gap also makes it mysterious enough so you no longer know the nature of the setting and where all the returning characters are exactly. NIna is great new lead. Animation is top notch. Designs are top notch. The show is funny, exciting, and action packed.

Based Cygames.

That's weird. The songs were by a band called... Radwimp or something like that? Definitely Japanese.

Radwimps recorded English versions of the songs later for the English version of the movie. They had those versions of the songs in the subbed version in Japan for the 2 weeks they were showing it earlier this year.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Radwimps recorded English versions of the songs later for the English version of the movie. They had those versions of the songs in the subbed version in Japan for the 2 weeks they were showing it earlier this year.
Oh weird. Maybe for this release, they decided to match up the songs to the language for some reason. I'll assume that the dubbed version has the English songs anyway.

Now that I've said one nice thing about the new season of Berserk I will saying the ending might be the laziest ending I've seen in a long time.

They just took a bunch of Berserk art and superimposed it all together in this constantly shifting mess with a really limp song on top of it.

The Berserk adaptation we deserve.
no one deserves this.

Oh weird. Maybe for this release, they decided to match up the songs to the language for some reason. I'll assume that the dubbed version has the English songs anyway.

It does yeah. They were still pretty good in English though. I actually think the VA was on point for the English dub, felt like it really matched the film. Still would like to see it in Japanese some day though.

Watching the last few episodes of Naruto Shippudden and Im super stoked they brought back the BGM from the first season. Nostalgia overload.

Narag

Berserk (2017) 1

apparently there were two eps out today and i watched the second first.

guess it didn't really matter outside of wondering why Casca was having a sudden flashback in episode 14. If 14 was Serpico and Farnese's reasons to continue on, this was pretty much Guts and Casca's.

Joe Molotov

Your Name (Subbed)

Watched this at the Cinemark XD, it was a cute movie. I'm glad I saw it in theathers, since there's not much opportunity to see anime on the big screen. The curve of the XD screen caused the subs to be super low on the screen, even cutting off the bottom of words, but other than that, it was a great experience.

Jarmel

Banned
I'll do longer impressions later but Your Name is easily Shinkai's best film and a great film in general.

The whole thing is a big analogy to the
Tohoku earthquake

Aki-at

Classicaloid - S1 END

I'm not sure what's more surprising, Bach's plan was to use the Classicaloids to
communicate with intersteller ravers complete with glow sticks
or that this is getting a second season.

A nice series and one I'll be happy to return to so long as they try to stick closer to the random adventures the gang undertook rather than the whole subplot with Bach and his plan. Not good, not bad, but an enjoyable time. 6/10

Little Witch Academia - 12

I had to stop watching it as Diana somehow managed to pick the best job and Akko picked the worst job and I'm someone who enjoys watching character's misery unfold but this is... really bad writing and it's gotten dull and repetitive.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I, resident Shinkai fanshit, Haly, shall be the final judge of this film.

KraytarJ

Your Name
I'm very much an anime film neophyte, so while I have no experience with Shinkai's other works but after Your Name I'm very on board to see more. Overall I thought it was a very lovely film, somehow both more heart warming and heart wrenching than I thought it would be. Spoiler territory:
The time misalignment was something I totally called from the first time Taki made it clear he didn't know anything about the comet, though that didn't make Mitsuha's death hit any less hard. My biggest problem with the film was probably that it had a predictable ending. Pretty much from the start of the tragic stuff I figured it'd have an open ending where Taki and Mitsuha finally meet and remember each other.

Here's to hoping A Silent Voice can make it to Canada too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Your Name is great. best shinkai movie since Hoshi no Koe.

Took it while for US to realize it
This is easily, and I emphasize the fuck out of this point, his best film.
For me, of what I've seen it'd be: Voices > Garden of Feet > 5cm > Your Name > Place Promised > Children who Chase Lost Voices (let's go on a journey to learn how to say goodbye lol).

I, resident Shinkai fanshit, Haly, shall be the final judge of this film.
Will you scream your approval/disappointment when the credits roll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom