• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naruto: Boruto the movie
5461a95ea1ff912165c81f3e09e3ac34.jpg

WOW...this was absolutetly amazing! The visuals were feakin of the charts!! That battle....HOLY SHIT! I'm trying to remember the last I was THAT impressed by a fighting scene purely from the visuals alone...wow. Naruto and Sasuke were absolute badassess! The Susano/Kurama combo was like FANTAMAZING! That scene were Naruto protected Boruto and co. where he gave his son a smile before Boruto screamed *DAD!*...it got me so hard! This kind of moments between family members/loved ones are just the thing I love the most.

The way Boruto grew as a character was way too good. Every character was just so great! Full of great moments from tearful to comedic!

Himawari smile must be protected!

This is a must watch in my opinion! One of the best movie I have ever seen!

I guess 1 con....The lack of Mitsuki.

Next up was the the OVA that came with the movie!

Naruto OVA

Himawari must never be angered! I know exactly why Boruto is the best brother ever now and always smile to his sister. This was absolutely HILARIOUS! The way she snapped because of hey teddy and hunted down Boruto was so funny.

Naruto at its best is so great!

Busaiku

The thing that surprised me the most about Your Name was that it had an OP.
I dunno if Mr. Shinkai's other stuff did, but that was weird.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes I agree. Except no one calls Miyazaki the next Miyamoto, so Bloodborne is more tolerable to read about.
lol
The problem is that there's no one left to make anime movies (poor Hosoda).

The thing that surprised me the most about Your Name was that it had an OP.
I dunno if Mr. Shinkai's other stuff did, but that was weird.
I think movies have OPs since it's an easy way to sell an anisong single.

JulianImp

Here's to hoping A Silent Voice can make it to Canada too.

Meanwhile, I'm still hoping anything anime can make it to Argentine cinemas, but I guess the next anime movie I watch on the big screen will be in Japan once I go back there in the future or something...

Haven't really watched anything from this season yet other than AoT (not really invested in it, just want to see it animated), Magus Bride (okay-ish but kind of meh) and Alice & Zoroku (great chemistry between the two main characters, but the setting's kinda iffy IMO). Are there any shows you guys consider good so far (and no, that doesn't include trashy-good stuff)?

KraytarJ

Meanwhile, I'm still hoping anything anime can make it to Argentine cinemas, but I guess the next anime movie I watch on the big screen will be in Japan once I go back there in the future or something...

Haven't really watched anything from this season yet other than AoT (not really invested in it, just want to see it animated), Magus Bride (okay-ish but kind of meh) and Alice & Zoroku (great chemistry between the two main characters, but the setting's kinda iffy IMO). Are there any shows you guys consider good so far (and no, that doesn't include trashy-good stuff)?
Sakura Quest is legitimately good. Tsukigakirei had a nice opening episode but it could go either way at this point.

Yes so many of my favorite songs were used too.

Yup same. I thought I was hearing things at first.

Naruto: Boruto the movie
5461a95ea1ff912165c81f3e09e3ac34.jpg

WOW...this was absolutetly amazing! The visuals were feakin of the charts!! That battle....HOLY SHIT! I'm trying to remember the last I was THAT impressed by a fighting scene purely from the visuals alone...wow. Naruto and Sasuke were absolute badassess! The Susano/Kurama combo was like FANTAMAZING! That scene were Naruto protected Boruto and co. where he gave his son a smile before Boruto screamed *DAD!*...it got me so hard! This kind of moments between family members/loved ones are just the thing I love the most.

The way Boruto grew as a character was way too good. Every character was just so great! Full of great moments from tearful to comedic!

Himawari smile must be protected!

This is a must watch in my opinion! One of the best movie I have ever seen!

I guess 1 con....The lack of Mitsuki.

Next up was the the OVA that came with the movie!

Naruto OVA

Himawari must never be angered! I know exactly why Boruto is the best brother ever now and always smile to his sister. This was absolutely HILARIOUS! The way she snapped because of hey teddy and hunted down Boruto was so funny.

Naruto at its best is so great!

This movie ruled. The fights were gorgeous and really well done. I also like Boruto and his crew so Im excited to follow them in the future.

Hell, just give me the Himawari spin off.

Re:Creators 01

Expected some reverse isekai LN battle royale. I get some bland generic MC instead. I hope he's just a bait-and-switch and doesn't actually end up getting focus.

Narag

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul 1

Between this and Berserk, it's a shame we don't have a second season of Seisen Cerberus to complete a trinity of excellent fantasy anime for the discerning fantasy anime fan.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For there being no one left to make anime movies, there sure are a lot of anime movies coming out.
I dunno since I don't really follow anime now, but without the Ghibli churn, who is doing the prestige movie not based on an anime these days?

Is Yamada supposed to be the next Miyazaki?

Jarmel

Banned
Your Name-

This was a much different film than I expected.
I went in expecting a film largely about body-switching hijinks and while I did get that to an extent, the swerve about preventing the town from being wiped out threw me for a loop. Going from the previews I was expecting a smaller film along the lines of Garden of Words and got something much larger in scale similar to Shinkai's earlier scifi films
. The only difference in this case being that this film is actually good.

The script is much sharper than I expected such as the
early reference with Katsuhiko (Mitsuha's friend) being forced to learn about explosives and the shot of his room being foreshadowing for later events. I do understand the gripes about the two not trying to communicate with each other or not noticing the year but the rules in the movie are so broad that it's easy to handwave those issues away by saying magic did it. Whatever force that was causing them to switch bodies was also capable of erasing Taki's cellphone so I can just say that events were manipulated so that they didn't notice the year for whatever reasons. There aren't hard rules about the body switching so I didn't feel the film broke any.
The comedy mostly landed for me. I liked all the characters. It's a great film.
I thought the movie being a huge analogy to the Tohoku earthquake was touching in a way and I can see it resonating with a lot of the Japanese audience for that reason.
The one major issue I have with the film is that I didn't completely buy the relationship between the two leads as I felt that them falling in love happened in too brief a period onscreen. That's usually an issue though in most movie romances so I don't hold it too heavily against the film along with the aspect that
much of the film isn't necessarily about their relationship but rather trying to prevent the tragedy that befell the town

I should also mention this is the first Shinkai film to have really great character animation so that felt like a progression over his previous films. There were some really good sakuga moments related to the character animation.
The scene where Taki slips at the cave was gorgeous. I wasn't expecting anything surreal like that and the animation delivered on that front
. The backgrounds in general were stunning but that was to be expected.

Of all of Shinkai's films, this felt the most complete as a singular piece.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just got back from the theater seeing Your Name. Absolutely wonderful. For the first 20ish minutes I thought the movie was overhyped, but it really picked up. Glad I barely know anything about it going in. 10/10.

The projectionist somewhat screwed up and the bottom of the subtitles were a bit cut off a bit, but still glad I got to see it in a theater.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Your Name-

The script is much sharper than I expected such as the
early reference with Katsuhiko (Mitsuha's friend) being forced to learn about explosives and the shot of his room being foreshadowing for later events. I do understand the gripes about the two not trying to communicate with each other or not noticing the year but the rules in the movie are so broad that it's easy to handwave those issues away by saying magic did it. There aren't hard rules about the body switching so I didn't feel as if the film broke any.
I just couldn't let this go. It creates a moment that they lampshade later on
(the haircut), which just felt like cheap drama - which is even weirder since she recognizes him when she tracks him down, but doesn't notice that he's in middle school studying for his entrance exam? And it's a twist that only exists for the cathartic happy ending that we get, which is also a bit hokey because because of things like Tessie and the other girl coincidentally being in the Starbucks that he happened to be in at that moment.

You're a TNG fan aren't you? Tell me that The Inner Light isn't a better version of this story? lol
The projectionist somewhat screwed up and the bottom of the subtitles were a bit cut off a bit, but still glad I got to see it in a theater.
I'm almost wondering if this is just Funimation putting the subtitles right at the bottom of the frame, since someone had the same complaint in the other thread.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm almost wondering if this is just Funimation putting the subtitles right at the bottom of the frame, since someone had the same complaint in the other thread.

I think its a combination of Funimation putting them to low, and the Cinemark XD screens being curved.

Stage On

Maid Dragon 13

I can't believe people don't like the ending of Maid Dragon. It's literally what the entire series had been building to.

They foreshadowed that something was going to happen with Tohru's parents since she got pretty uncomfortable any time the subject of them came up in past episodes and it's not the first time she'd had doubts about staying with Kobayashi since the two of them have vastly different lifespans.

Tohru is a dragon who will literally live thousands of years while Kobayashi who is already in her thirtieths has like maybe 60-70 years left if she's lucky. Tohru knows the tragedy that's in store for her as she is doomed to watch her beloved grow old and sick and pass away while she remains young and healthy. But even so that makes the time that they do have together all the more precious.

Her Father doesn't want her to go thought that pain thought which is why he tried to take her away. He might act all cold and sturn, but underneath his bluster his does care very deeply for his daughter.

In the end Kobayashi stands up for Tohru because despite their differences they ARE family now and belong together which is why in the end she takes Tohru and Kanna to meet her parents in the end.

Jarmel

Banned
I just couldn't let this go. It creates a moment that they lampshade later on
(the haircut), which just felt like cheap drama - which is even weirder since she recognizes him when she tracks him down, but doesn't notice that he's in middle school studying for his entrance exam? And it's a twist that only exists for the cathartic happy ending that we get, which is also a bit hokey because because of things like Tessie and the other girl coincidentally being in the Starbucks that he happened to be in at that moment.

You're a TNG fan aren't you? Tell me that The Inner Light isn't a better version of this story? lol

She only sees him for like a total of a minute on a train and doesn't actually talk to him other than a couple of lines. Not to mention her memories while being him would also be fuzzy so I can accept that not everything clicked. Each party didn't have perfect recollection when they got back to their own bodies. You could also just say that the magic force changed their perceptions so when they looked at a date, they saw the year that matched up to their original timeline. I mean God or whatever wiped Taki's phone which had physical evidence, so I can accept that.

I'm not a huge TNG fan but I think I did see it at some point. The story isn't particularly original but I think the execution is good enough
and that it being a possibly personal reflection on Tohoku
that I can disregard the lack of originality.

I should also mention when Mitsuha fell on the street when running reminded me of Link falling down a slope in Breath of the Wild. If you've played the game you know exactly what I mean.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She only sees him for like a total of a minute on a train and doesn't actually talk to him other than a couple of lines. Not to mention her memories while being him would also be fuzzy so I can accept that not everything clicked. Each party didn't have perfect recollection when they got back to their own bodies. You could also just say that the magic force changed their perceptions so when they looked at a date, they saw the year that matched up to their original timeline. I mean God or whatever wiped Taki's phone which had physical evidence, so I can accept that.

I mean... forgetting the fact that they used their phones as diaries, and I think electronic calendars would have full dates on them... there's also the fact that they interacted with their friends/went to school/maybe saw the news/whatever which should have given them some idea. Maybe if it was like a total mind wipe after they switched back to their original bodies, I would have been okay with it.
I was almost willing to forgive the fact that somehow the guy never wrote down the name of the town that she lived in... but the three year thing was just a bridge too far for me.

I'm not a huge TNG fan but I think I did see it at some point. The story isn't particularly original but I think the execution is good enough
and that it being a possibly personal reflection on Tohoku
that I can disregard the lack of originality.
I think I just wanted a
sad ending where he realizes that he can't save her and the best thing he could do is remember her and live his life. lol

I was going to mention that, but yeah. That particular aspect is why I don't have a problem with no one realizing the
year difference.

Jarmel

Banned
I mean... forgetting the fact that they used their phones as diaries, and I think electronic calendars would have full dates on them... there's also the fact that they interacted with their friends/went to school/maybe saw the news/whatever which should have given them some idea. Maybe if it was like a total mind wipe after they switched back to their original bodies, I would have been okay with it.
I was almost willing to forgive the fact that somehow the guy never wrote down the name of the town that she lived in... but the three year thing was just a bridge too far for me.
Just say that God switched the dates on the phones. There clearly was some force driving the events of the movie that was capable of having tangible effects on electrical devices. The movie isn't oriented around details so I don't find a need to necessarily pick at them. It's similar to Looper in that regard in that Looper directly tells you not to worry about the details although Looper is a bit worse as it did have some rules regarding its mechanics and at times felt as if it was breaking them. The town thing was weird in the sense that why didn't the two try and meet up immediately when they knew what was happening? However again that's more me nitpicking at a script that isn't concerned about details like that.

I think I just wanted a
sad ending where he realizes that he can't save her and the best thing he could do is remember her and live his life. lol
I was expecting most of the people in the town to have still died actually. It looked as if time had ran out once the comet split off and there's like a total of 10 minutes from the comet splitting to the town being wiped out so I was thinking that most of the town hadn't been evacuated yet. So I did feel that was a bit of a cop out but I'm not an astrophysicist so maybe there was still a bunch of time left between Mitsuha talking with her father and the comet landing

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul Episode 1:

Well then, I guess Lady Dragons are going to be thing for a little bit then.
At any rate, a good deal amount of time has passed and now mankind rages against the heavens for some reasons and fantastical racism has been notched up to 11. I will not lie, Cygames and MAPPA bring the production values once again though I certainly worry about this season falling apart due to not giving one iota of a shit about the large serious conflict.

It's not total mindwipes, but it's always treated like recollections from dreams. How often do you actually remember dates and foreign names from your dreams? Like, I have recurring dreams about a theme park for years and I never know what that park is called even though I remember that it's displayed in big letters over the gate. It stands to reason that discrepancies caused by a mere three-years gap are not significant enough for both characters that they could actually remember it after they wake up, even if they do notice it when dreaming.

I think I just wanted a
After four films from Shinkai talking about separations, I honestly just wanted
an unambiguously happy ending instead of yet another "maybe someday we'll meet again" / "it's time to let go" stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just say that God switched the dates on the phones. There clearly was some force driving the events of the movie that was capable of having tangible effects on electrical devices. The movie isn't oriented around details so I don't find a need to necessarily pick at them. It's similar to Looper in that regard in that Looper directly tells you not to worry about the details although Looper is a bit worse as it did have some rules regarding its mechanics and at times felt as if it was breaking them. The town thing was weird in the sense that why didn't the two try and meet up immediately when they knew what was happening? However again that's more me nitpicking at a script that isn't concerned about details like that.
I don't know why, but I was willing to forgive everything except for the time difference. That was the straw that broke the camel's back as it were, since to me it just seemed crazy that they wouldn't notice. Maybe nothing changed from 2013 to 2016 in Japan, but could you imagine the different if these were American characters? The 2013 girl would be like, "Why is Trump running for President???".
I was expecting most of the people in the town to have still died actually. It looked as if time had ran out once the comet split off and there's like a total of 10 minutes from the comet splitting to the town being wiped out so I was thinking that most of the town hadn't been evacuated. So I did feel that was a bit of a cop out but I'm not an astrophysicist so maybe there was still a bunch of time left between Mitsuha talking with her father and the comet landing
Time was so fluid that they probably had time to evacuate after the father stopped being a dick and made the order. lol

Honestly I would have been happy if it was the meteor from 1000 years ago that they mentioned earlier and, maybe he saves the girl's life, but they would have never seen each other after he saved her.

It's not total mindwipes, but it's always treated like recollections from dreams. How often do you actually remember dates and foreign names from your dreams? Like, I have recurring dreams about a theme park for years and I never know what that park is called even though I remember that it's displayed in big letters over the gate.
I think if they omitted the diaries, I would have accepted that. But I'm to believe that neither of them noticed the time difference and didn't think to point it out as odd in the numerous diary entries they made. Again, I don't know why this bothered me, but it really took me out of the movie when it was revealed. lol

After four films from Shinkai talking about separations, I honestly just wanted
an unambiguously happy ending instead of yet another "maybe someday we'll meet again" / "it's time to let go" stuff.
It's precisely because
it's a Shinkai film that I wanted it to end like a Shinkai film. lol

KraytarJ

No wonder this season is so shit.
Preach. The world could always use more K-ON!

Speaking of which it looks like tomorrow is when I'm finally going to see the K-ON movie, and while I'm excited to finally see it I'm also dreading being done with K-ON.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom