• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Re:Creators-1 Encore
Calling it now, the girl that killed herself is the sister of the MC and MC created sword violinist when he was younger. MC is definitely sword violinst's creator. Can't wait till she goes dere. Based Hiroe.
It's pretty obvious yeah. She was surprised when she saw him and seemed to know him and in the in-anime anime she said to Selesia "My master liked you too.", and surprise, it's bland MCs favorite anime/LN/manga.

Ninty is watching IBO? What has the world come to.

Man this season is just all slim pickings. I could really just not be watching anything other than AoT and I'd be fine, wouldn't be missing much.

Attack on TItan S2 - 02

That pacing... Sasha's 'sidequest' should've been done in half an episode, not almost the entirety of it. There's a lot of stuff in the AoT anime that they don't cut short for a very good reason but then there's this and just about every shot seems to go for a couple seconds longer than necessary. The first major flashback could've been done in a third of its duration without losing anything.

Man if we're seriously not getting more AoT anime for up to 2 years after these 12 episodes people are going to be real upset, and that includes me. This season will likely end a bit short of up to where I read ~4 years ago. Ridiculous. Fuck that production committee.

You would be missing on MHA! the greatest of sins!
Idk about that. Nothing about MHA makes me think it is a must watch. It's surely better than stuff like Clockwork Planet or w.e, but it's just so... bland. The show's concept just doesn't appeal to me. Doesn't help that it's a slow burn too. I had read a good portion of the manga until my interest dropped, and had hoped season 1 would rekindle it, but the pacing only made matters worse.

But of course this is just my personal opinion.

Idk about that. Nothing about MHA makes me think it is a must watch. It's surely better than stuff like Clockwork Planet or w.e, but it's just so... bland. The show's concept just doesn't appeal to me. Doesn't help that it's a slow burn too. I had read a good portion of the manga until my interest dropped, and had hoped season 1 would rekindle it, but the pacing only made matters worse.

But of course this is just my personal opinion.

That's it! I'm done!
:p
7d894293e5919f4e4b2474294a4cd889.jpg

Shame you don't like it. I thinks it's definitely one of the better shonen to come out in recent years
All time
and easily the best shonen manga right now based only on the strength of it's cast/story and fights. But if you did try and did not like it, it's not like you should force yourself.

So far from episode 2 the pacing is already faster, if that could ever change your mind.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Season 1 Episode 1 – Go With the Flow, Part 1 (engdub)

Manga wise, ZEXAL was my favorite, but I had never seen the anime before so I thought to try it out. I think the ost kind of holds the show down while everything else is pretty awesome. AR dueling is good and the overlay network definitely is a good move forward for YGO (however ARCV makes the overlay network look so much better).
C850ySnXUAEeGNP.jpg:small
C852GPFWAAEL1Mv.jpg:small

Shark was a good design but why is he such a bully here, its a turn off. Yuuma is great thus far. I cant wait for eventual Kaito.

phaze

Tetsuwan Birdy 01-06 (1996)

In my desperate scratching of the bottom of the barrel, I decided to see how this stakes up to its successor. Birdy as a franchise apparently started with a manga back in the 80's and this OVA series, directed by Kawajiri of Shigurui finale fame, was its first adaptation. I can only assume it adopts but a fraction of material as the bigger strands of the story remain completely unresolved but it finishes its arc specific material tidily enough. The plot in general is pretty generic, Birdy tracks bad aliens who are up to no good, and the characters don't get much fleshing out but narrative is tight and one of strong points of the tv series, the incessant Tsutomu/Birdy bickering and interactions, shines here as well. Visually it's ... pretty good I guess ? There isn't actually a whole lot of fighting and what's there could stand to be more interestingly choreographed but it's all animated well and kept on model, without descending into shapeless bunch of smears. The characters are also pretty emotive, Birdy especially so. THe direction is also competent with some highlights here and there in how it handles some sequences. All in all, it's a serviceable flick but not something that needs to be desperately sought out. Id go as far to say that both seasons of tv have it beat handily mostly because of the narrative, that both gets more time to breathe and delves into more interesting stuff, the second season in particular.

blurr

I just think
the year would be an important detail to remember, considering they had the wherewithal to include each others contact information. lol

Probably but that's something I'm willing to look beyond. This is a very subjective aspect of the film, I can't really say if it was in the wrong for what it did, it just rests on whether or not you are willing to buy it. I know I am.

Ojamajo Doremi 01

I've heard and seen so much about this show that I've consistently prioritizing to a point that I decided to start watching right away, more so considering I got around to finish Tamako Market and Love Story (I also really needed something to watch that wasn't as somber as Grimgar or Gunslinger Girl).

I was still a bit nervous about what I'd think about it, all I saw were gifs and images of a little girl being silly, no matter how amusing it was, I don't know if I'd buy until I watched it.

The mysterious and somewhat Ghibli-esque intro had me unsure but this particular scene eventually popped up and my mood was all set:

It seems that the little girl being silly is what it was all about afterall, glad to see that I wasn't misled in any way (courtesy of buildknuckle and jimmygnome on twitter). Doremi is a charming girl with a unique combination of questionable conceit and yet self-pity constantly telling herself that she's the unluckiest pretty girl in the world. It's comes off more in a comical sense than something negative about her, rest assured, she's instantly likeable. This episode sets in everything we need to know about her and her life in the first half but things take an unusual turn in the later half where she becomes a witch. I will probably never get tired of hearing her say the magical words which I hope I will recite and type without looking it up eventually.

There's a lot of cool shots and more importantly reaction faces that stand out through out the episode, here's a bunch I took:

I'm sure the thread wouldn't mind a barrage of screengrabs from this show.

This is only covering the first half of it, there's more in the later half but let me tease you with these for now.

Gags pack a punch and Doremi's face is central to them, the dynamic nature of her magical powers really bring in a lot of potential for humor, I'm looking forward to watching more.

Oh and this was my favorite little gag, burst out laughing.

That's it! I'm done!
:p
7d894293e5919f4e4b2474294a4cd889.jpg

Shame you don't like it. I thinks it's definitely one of the better shonen to come out in recent years
All time
and easily the best shonen manga right now based only on the strength of it's cast/story and fights. But if you did try and did not like it, it's not like you should force yourself.

So far from episode 2 the pacing is already faster, if that could ever change your mind.
I think the bolded is part of the reason why I don't like it also. It is a shonen ass property, and I just don't digest shonen as well as I used to a few years ago. I've mentioned it before, but more and more there's certain things in shows that I can't watch anymore.

I think the bolded is part of the reason why I don't like it also. It is a shonen ass property, and I just don't digest shonen as well as I used to a few years ago. I've mentioned it before, but more and more there's certain things in shows that I can't watch anymore.

I can kinda relate to that. My big pet peeve with Shonen is how far down the rabbit hole the genre has gone with no lasting consequences. Near ever major running shonen keeps deaths to a minimum, meaning it never feels like our characters can actually outright fail. A couple manage to work around this, finding ways for characters to be forced to find a new path forward, but it's frustrating knowing that there's zero chance our characters could actually ever die, because whenever that possibility is teased it's always pulled back on.

blurr

I can kinda relate to that. My big pet peeve with Shonen is how far down the rabbit hole the genre has gone with no lasting consequences. Near ever major running shonen keeps deaths to a minimum, meaning it never feels like our characters can actually outright fail. A couple manage to work around this, finding ways for characters to be forced to find a new path forward, but it's frustrating knowing that there's zero chance our characters could actually ever die, because whenever that possibility is teased it's always pulled back on.

That kind of eschews what the appeal to some renowned shounens is though, they're more on ideas, world and/or messages than grounded storytelling which of course has its own appeal and is employed to some extent but not necessarily central to them.

Glorification is used to get the message through than just to highlight the characters/story(who are mostly/generally tools) themselves. One Piece from what I've read so far and MHA from what I've seen so far gave that impression.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Probably but that's something I'm willing to look beyond. This is a very subjective aspect of the film, I can't really say if it was in the wrong for what it did, it just rests on whether or not you are willing to buy it. I know I am.
Oh sure. For me, that twist pretty much ruined the movie unfortunately.

BEYBLADE VForce #09 La Isla Bey-Nita!!

Im surprised the Bladebreakers didnt mention anything about the BitBeast capturing system in the middle of the battle. Seemed like it would have been something of importance to them all.

That kind of eschews what the appeal to some renowned shounens is though, they're more on ideas, world and/or messages than grounded storytelling which of course has its own appeal and is employed to some extent but not necessarily central to them.

Glorification is used to get the message through than just to highlight the characters/story(who are mostly/generally tools) themselves. One Piece from what I've read so far and MHA from what I've seen so far gave that impression.

I don't think what I said gets in the way of what makes them appealing. I never said they were bad, but I do think a lack of death and long term consequences is a detreament to good story telling, even if the point is more about carrying messages.

Just got back from seeing Your Name. I was actually expecting to see the English Dub at AMC because the fandango listing listed the English VAs as the cast. Color me surprised when it was in Japanese with English Subs.

This is the second (non-Pokemon) anime I've seen on the Big Screen and it was a really enjoyable experience. If I had one complaint it's I probably would've liked to see more of the "culture shock" between the two leads since they come from two entirely different upbringings. That aside, I think this is probably one of the better "walk a mile in my shoes" stories I've ever seen.

Ascheroth

I don't think what I said gets in the way of what makes them appealing. I never said they were bad, but I do think a lack of death and long term consequences is a detreament to good story telling, even if the point is more about carrying messages.
I would say that My Hero Academia is pretty good at handling long-term consequences.
Recovery Girl fixing up Dekus broken limbs whenever he uses his power because he can't control it? Yeah, that's not flying for long.
Also, it might not look like it, but MHA can get very dark at times.
But that would go into spoiler territory :/

Kickz

Attack on Titan S2Ep2---

Seriously, I kept thinking all through the ep, "are you really gonna burn a whole week on a Sasha side story??" Especially since we only got 12 eps to work with..

Oh well, good to see the main gang for the little we saw them
tumblr_oo3olvXART1uwx0jwo1_500.gif

I would say that My Hero Academia is pretty good at handling long-term consequences.
Recovery Girl fixing up Dekus broken limbs whenever he uses his power because he can't control it? Yeah, that's not flying for long.

Well I didn't specify which I felt were handling it well and weren't, but I'd agree MHA is pretty good at working around death and offering up long-term consequences. Having read the manga I'm familiar with where that particular aspect of the plot, Deku always breaking himself and I agree that it manages to bring about real consequences and forces Deku to change the way he's handling his powers and development.

I wouldn't say MHA gets really dark. The dark stuff in MHA is nothing compared to the dark stuff in Hunter X Hunter.

I wouldn't say MHA gets really dark. The dark stuff in MHA is nothing compared to the dark stuff in Hunter X Hunter.

That's true. I might agree that it gets dark compared to the majority of shonen currently running, though.
HxH is dead, we must accept this.
But like with the death stuff, I mean, it's shonen so aimed at a younger and audience and all that, but it does sometimes feel like everything is delivered with 'kid gloves.'

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
10 minutes to YOUR NAME and theatre mostly empty bomba confirmed.

Ascheroth

Sure, it does not get Hunter X Hunter levels of dark, but there are some disturbing things happening under the surface if you pay attention (or rather participate in the manga thread :p )
For example. Hint: this refers to something that happens during the Stain arc (chapter 55 to be exact), and that kid is one of Bakugous childhood friends, that was seen in the flashback right in the color page of chapter 1.

Kickz

MHA only gets really dark when the TV network dims all the action effects!

I see this in Attack on Titan to.

Maybe its the evolution of all the anime that used to have that warning of "move back from the tv and watch in a brightly lit area" PSAs?

blurr

Hm, I can't say a grounded nature would benefit a shounen action show as much, I tend to get the feeling that it will be tied down by its rules/reality. Would it even remain the same tone/demographic/genre at that point? I'm not so sure. I've seen this happen with Grimgar and Kuromukuro - they often feel tied down as a result of those qualities in the sense that they have a very realistic approach to choice and consequence while also trying to deliver a very action intense experience which isn't necessarily bad but I can't see them under the same lens as something like MHA or OP.

Deaths and long term consequences could happen sparingly in which case I don't disagree.

I think this roots to what one defines as shounen-action in the first place which is essentially a demographic and a genre.

Hm, I can't say a grounded nature would benefit a shounen action show as much, I tend to get the feeling that it will be tied down by its rules/reality. Would it even remain the same tone/demographic/genre at that point? I'm not so sure. I've seen this happen with Grimgar and Kuromukuro - they often feel tied down as a result of those qualities in the sense that they have a very realistic approach to choice and consequence while also trying to deliver a very action intense experience which isn't necessarily bad but I can't see them under the same lens as something like MHA or OP.

Deaths and long term consequences could happen sparingly in which case I don't disagree.

I'm not saying, say, Midoriya and Co. need to suddenly lose all their best friends in a massive bloodbath. But as you note at the end there, sparing death is what I'm really talking about. A death here or there lends to the idea that our characters could, in fact, lose and badly, giving real weight to the situations they're facing.

blurr

I'm not saying, say, Midoriya and Co. need to suddenly lose all their best friends in a massive bloodbath. But as you note at the end there, sparing death is what I'm really talking about. A death here or there lends to the idea that our characters could, in fact, lose and badly, giving real weight to the situations they're facing.

Ah, this part led me to believe otherwise:

Hand Shakers Episode 11 – Cocoon Cocoon

Its almost the end :( The backstory was powerful especially the consequences of being born in the Ziggurat but then being kids who are active hand shakers. Shame on those who saw kids as easy targets and tried to take advantage of it, especially since it was out of their control. The parents should have been a bit more forward thinking rather than relying on the hope of goodness being present in humanity.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I FUCKED UP THIS SCREENING IS THE DUB I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S HAPPENING

Just got back from seeing Your Name. I was actually expecting to see the English Dub at AMC because the fandango listing listed the English VAs as the cast. Color me surprised when it was in Japanese with English Subs.

This is the second (non-Pokemon) anime I've seen on the Big Screen and it was a really enjoyable experience. If I had one complaint it's I probably would've liked to see more of the "culture shock" between the two leads since they come from two entirely different upbringings. That aside, I think this is probably one of the better "walk a mile in my shoes" stories I've ever seen.

I would have liked to see more of that too, since I'm always a sucker for that kind of thing, but there were still quite a few good moments. The moment where Mitsuha in Taki's body is running down the list of first-person pronouns to figure out which one he uses was hilarious.

10 minutes to YOUR NAME and theatre mostly empty bomba confirmed.

My theater was about 3/4 full last night at 10:15 PM.

MHA only gets really dark when the TV network dims all the action effects!

Oh snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom