• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
HEYBOT! Episode 26 – Prince of Imochin
C9AtVijXoAIkT2p.jpg:small

We need a development arc to bring Nejiru and Chigiru closer together, kind of got a bid sad when Neji was like he doesnt know how to act around both of them, his dear older brother. :( Though I loved when they were enjoying some Imochin together briefly.

Also lol at Chigiru using a glasses joke book.

JulianImp

Watching some more 1997 Berserk, I'd say the Gambino flashback was pretty bad. Young Guts was basically shouting the guy's name every other line while somehow accepting the awful way Gambino was treating him, culminating with Guts somehow feeling guilt over the guy's death even though he was treated like little more than a slave (at least from what was shown in that one flashback).

The lack of background music's pretty weird coming from modern shows, but I guess it's been a decent show so far (up to ep5).

Cornbread78

Kado ep.1
Another glorious screenshot, anyone happy? What's wrong with this one? Too much color, too little color? Tone? Brightness? Unfocused? Uncompressed? Pixel count off? Should I have DF do an inquiry to examine it? Maybe Durante could fix it? Any other ideas?

That's pretty much how this episode went. Sorry I typed too much...

Narag

Kado ep.1

Another glorious screenshot, anyone happy? What's wrong with this one? Too much color, too little color? Tone? Brightness? Unfocused? Uncompressed? Pixel count off? Should I have DF do an inquiry to examine it? Maybe Durante could fix it? Any other ideas?

That's pretty much how this episode went. Sorry I typed too much...

If you're going to just sulkily shitpost, can you do it elsewhere?

Your Name

It was really good. A bit worried that there would be no way it could live up to all the hype, but it absolutely did. The relationship between the two leads and how body-swapping to save-the-town plot worked out pretty damn well. I guess this overrode Voices as my top Shinkai work now.

About the only thing I wondered was why
it was Taki that was chosen to swap with? Mitsuha had the whole "wants to escape her small, village life", but there wasn't really anything special about why he swapped with her. It's not even that big of a deal, and I'm content with it being "no reason", but just has me wondering if I missed something.

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 25 – Diabolical Diablos, Horned Wyvern
C9A8tYrXcAEmhot.jpg:small

I thought Cheval would have improved but he got even worst. I wish they had just made him make up yet again with Lute, the pieces are all in place...Probably making it worst is his friends arent even doing anything, like why is Hyoro suddenly backing him up 100% and ignoring stuff from his dear brother who came from a mighty long way to see him. Its so aggravating. And Poor happy Lute now all sad again, ugh.

KraytarJ

Virgin Soul 1
A little all over the place at the top but as things went on and got more focused it actually got pretty good. If the world building is done well throughout the season I can see this one being really good.

sonicmj1

I never post about anime here anymore, but I watched stuff.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 13

I see where people are coming from when they talk about how the high stakes of the ending feel out of step with the rest of the show's tone. But I still love how this wrapped up. The ultimate showdown with the Emperor of Demise had less impact on me than all the lower stakes stuff, particularly the contrast between the montage without Tohru and the credits with them traveling to see Kobayashi's parents. In the end, I cared enough about the strange family at the center of this show that I was invested in seeing them happy, and really pleased with how everything paid off.

Definitely in my Top 3 Kyoto Animation shows (having not seen K-On). I hope they do more things with adult protagonists.

Your Name

Saw it with a friend yesterday. This is my first Shinkai movie, and I was pretty impressed. It isn't just pretty, but also a great story. It's really strongest in its first third, when you're getting to know the two leads and the lives they live. All the body-swapping humor is pretty funny, and Shinkai's hyper-realistic backgrounds bring out the beauty in every corner of each character's hometown, which works well with the movie's larger themes of belonging and looking for something better.

I wasn't as big a fan of where it goes from there, but it's still executed pretty well. I could nitpick some smaller aspects of how the plot works (I think Mitsuha deserved a little more agency than she got), but they slide away in the face of how satisfying the work is overall. I can see how this has such a wide appeal in Japan, even if there are lots of other works I like more.

The dub mostly worked, but whoever was voicing Taki kept doing this awful quasi-falsetto whenever Mitsuha was possessing him and it was always dumb. Hope that wasn't a part of the Japanese dub.

Watched some new stuff, too.

Re;Creators 1

This is dumb. It had some cool, dynamic action, but the protagonist seems like a brick so far. I haven't completely decided if the stupid way all the out-of-world characters speak is self-aware critique of light novels or just bad writing, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

Of course, I'm a sucker (in a bad way) for Ei Aoki and fantasy characters dropped into modern day Japan, so I'll watch more of this even though I shouldn't.

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul 1

Fun. Nina seems great. Show looks great. Please give me more.

Eccentric Family 2 1

Seeing this show reminds me how much I miss Kyoto. And (sort of by extension) how much I like stuff written by Tomihiko Morimi. All the characters have such distinct personalities that come out through their dialogue.

If this show wasn't airing, I might have canceled my Crunchyroll subscription.

Sakura Quest 1

That was awesome. Totally on board. PA Works ❤️

Why do CR dubs call Yoshino "Yoshi"? Like dude I have ears. Shes not calling her that.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 28

4LIapV6.png

XHfwtkd.png

Kyral has had more personality than the previous guys, but wasn't the guy from India trying to assassinate Domon in the last episode? I guess he wasn't a professional assassin.

Something about the big arm swings, shifting background animation and plentiful smoke animation flashed me back to Giant Robo, and that's always nice (I'm aware they share a director).

Rainy

Banned
Your Name

Watched the sub. I liked this a lot. Good story, great music, and amazing visuals. My theater had only like 20 people 10 minutes before showtime but it got packed as the movie started.

Eccentric Family 2 01

Missed this show a lot. But why is Frogbro back in the well? Didn't his whole character development in S1 end up with him leaving it?

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 29

IajknnF.png

Hey, an episode focusing on one of the other members, I was wondering when one would crop up.

Sai Saici honestly did Denmark a favor destroying their hideous Gundam.

Kizumonogatari III

If Your Name was a crowd-pleaser, this is a crowd-downer. I more or less knew how things were going to end up, since I've seen Bakemonogatari, but the resolution (if it can be called that) still hurt. Araragi is one impulsive, half-assed bastard. When
Meme went, "Of course there's not a way to make everyone happy, idiot, but I can make everyone miserable,"
all I could think was "Nisio, you've done it again." Way to leave an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
Though Araragi got off rather lightly compared to Kiss-shot as misery goes.

As far as the filmmaking itself goes, Tatsuya Oishi is still delightfully insane. He really just pumped out the madness in this last entry, such as when Araragi loses his mind and the visuals correspondingly go berserk. Bringing in Hajime Ueda for the flashback was a good touch as well, though there wasn't enough of his art for my tastes. Some of the techniques the film uses push it into farce - the crowd was laughing quite a bit throughout - but I think the sardonic humor makes the bleak conclusion when the bottom completely drops out from the characters that much more powerful. It's a fine line to walk, but in the end I'm happy there are anime directors making experimental films like Kizumonogatari. As an individual film, this was perhaps my least favorite - it takes a while to get going, and there aren't as many individual sequences that capture me as in the previous two films - but as the conclusion to the whole story (since these three films should really be viewed as one big set) it works well. I hope to see Tatsuya Oishi go on to more things of this nature now that he's free of this years-long project.

Your Name

The dub mostly worked, but whoever was voicing Taki kept doing this awful quasi-falsetto whenever Mitsuha was possessing him and it was always dumb. Hope that wasn't a part of the Japanese dub.

Taki's Japanese voice actor used a more feminine and soft voice with a higher pitch when Mitsuha was in his body, but not such a high pitch that I would call it falsetto. It didn't bother me, at any rate.

Hellsing Ultimate - I've been meaning to watch this for a while, ever since it aired on Toonami. Back then, I normally fell asleep by time it would finally come on. And then I watched Drifters, that had the same Creator and much of the same animation staff behind it. And yeah, my feelings on Hellsing is pretty much more or less exactly what my feelings were on Drifters; cool action, interesting art direction, dumb dumb plot. Hellsing is the ultimate Style over Substance anime IMHO because it's really flashy and indulges in its excessiveness but I can't take any of the story seriously or get that invested in the character's.

Alucard and Anderson's final duel was definitely the highlight of the series for me.

sonicmj1

Taki's Japanese voice actor used a more feminine and soft voice with a higher pitch when Mitsuha was in his body, but not such a high pitch that I would call it falsetto. It didn't bother me, at any rate.

Maybe it's not that different then.

It felt weird because it didn't seem like Mitsuha's VA changed pitch that much while as Taki, and it wasn't that necessary to mark the difference in the characters given how different their body language was.

Maybe it's not that different then.

It felt weird because it didn't seem like Mitsuha's VA changed pitch that much while as Taki, and it wasn't that necessary to mark the difference in the characters given how different their body language was.

Had I chose the dub, I don't think I could've heard Michael Sinterniklaas as Taki and not just thought of Dean Venture.

Re:Creators 1

I thought the premiere awesome, one of my favorites of the season so far. The battles were all fun and well choreographed, the music was exciting and it seemed to have a pretty high production value all around with a lot of talented people working on it. I like the story so far, and didn't mind the gag at the end.

Not sure how it'll feel over 21 more episodes, but I thought the first was a lot of fun with some good potential, and I'm looking forward to more.

KADO 0-1

Definitely an intriguing beginning. The first two episodes combined are definitely good at setting things up, and I'm interested in seeing Shindo act as a negotiator for the alien(s?). CGI was also not bad, everything looked pretty good.

MHA 15

They did a fantastic job with the scene where Todoroki froze the robots. This was a great start for the festival.

Moaradin

So glad they have Yutaka Nakamura working on MHA now. His absence in the first season was definitely felt.

Surprised we're seeing him so early too, and he's definitely gonna have more stuff coming up judging by the trailers.

NeonZ

I thought Cheval would have improved but he got even worst. I wish they had just made him make up yet again with Lute, the pieces are all in place...Probably making it worst is his friends arent even doing anything, like why is Hyoro suddenly backing him up 100% and ignoring stuff from his dear brother who came from a mighty long way to see him. Its so aggravating. And Poor happy Lute now all sad again, ugh.

Nah, Lute is just being dumb. There's no reason to oppose Cheval regarding killing blighted monsters and yet he keeps doing it all the time without even considering Cheval's point of view while also claiming that they need to be friends and stick together. It's actually a pretty irritating attitude - "Hey, we need to be friends and stick together! Even our fathers were friends so we must be too! Now, stop speaking your mind and do everything like I want!"

Now, it's obvious Cheval is going down a wrong path, but that's not because he's willing to kill berserker monsters. I could understand the opposition if he talked about killing all monsters, but he hasn't gotten to that point yet.

Jarmel

Banned
LWA TV 14-
First off let me preface this by saying this was another really good episode. It sets up a series villain who is interesting on multiple levels, possibly changes some of the relationship dynamics, has a somewhat funny and entertaining premise, and there are a lot of good character moments. It also felt like the storyboarding was a bit sharper this week too. I'm starting to wonder if this was initially planned as a 13 episode series and Netflix money bumped up the episode count.
cpf7XNA.png

20150617-UW_Scabs-3.jpg

You break strike, you get the works. No sympathy.
This episode was pretty good at portraying Akko in the sense that yes she's in trouble again but it shows that she did think things through and the reasoning for her actions comes from a good place. It's a nice change from previous episodes where her selfishness gets her into all these different disasters. Diana finally showed some emotions as well and got wrecked for once. What does the bourgeoisie know about the sufferings of the proletariat? Sucy had some solid background gags such as
the one where she opened the mushroom after getting sprayed in the face from the previous spit gag was hilarious
. Hey the characters are actually starting to be interesting again.
0Do741I.png

This is why you take STEM even in magic school.
Croix is such a good addition to the show that I'm wondering why she wasn't introduced earlier. She plays well off Akko and just by existing, gives Akko an alternative to just blindly following Shiny Chariot. So now we might have a situation where Akko is emotionally torn between her two teachers. I really like the idea of Ursula being thrown to the waist-side, it's a damn shame though that the first cour didn't do a better job of fleshing out her relationship with Akko. Croix's form of magic is an evolution/advancement of Constanze so I imagine there should be a quite a few good scenes between those two. One of the major aspects in the show is that magic in their world is dying out and by her being some sort of technowitch, she represents a possible solution. And we haven't even gotten into the Croix/Ursula backstory yet either. She works so well that I think she should have been part of the cast to begin with. She also has swag and a cool costume. That's the most important detail of them all.
My main problem isn't so much with this episode in particular but the general worldbuilding and just plain incompetence of the school. There's literally a form of magic engineering and nobody is teaching this?!?!? Not to mention the hybrid approach allows a witch to use magic in situations without a Sorcerer's Stone nearby as seen earlier with the dragon episode. Luna Nova is such an amateurish and unprofessional school that it's amazing that graduates don't choke on their own wands. The anime repeatedly goes out of its way to show how shitty this school is so my level of patience, for when Professor Finnelan opens her mouth about tradition, is so low you would have to dig a mile underground to find it. Someone presents a viable solution to their problem with supposedly zero additional costs and she doesn't shoot it down on feasibility but because Luna Nova is too old school to use computers. Oh my god. I will bash my fucking head into my screen if the lesson that the characters learn in this show is that technology is bad when Croix does whatever evil thing she has planned. I wonder if energy levels are tied to the general witch IQ values.

/XX/

『リトルウィッチアカデミア』第1クールノンクレジットOP - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRmgL564x8E

『リトルウィッチアカデミア』第1クールノンクレジットED - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDfltpO1620

『リトルウィッチアカデミア』第2クールノンクレジットOP - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vG5i-tkHEE

『リトルウィッチアカデミア』第2クールノンクレジットED - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wvTs-1jUFE

TOHO animation just uploaded all the OPs and EDs (no variants of the first ED with different illustrations, sadly) of LWA, in case someone feels uncomfortable from watching unauthorised reproductions! ;-P

SOLDIER

Anyone use the VRV streaming service? Been getting advertisements claiming it's the ideal service if you have both Crunchyroll and Funimation Premium, as it plays content from both.

Not having to bounce between the two services sounds nice, but I tried making an account and the only thing it let me do was link my CR account.

Yet upon doing so, it also said my account wasn't premium. I don't see an option to unlink it and start over.

To add insult to injury, CR wasn't working for me last night, and I got an ad that told me to try VRV in order to avoid the high traffic CR was experiencing.

.....did they artificially induce server traffic so I would have to try out VRV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom