• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use the VRV streaming service? Been getting advertisements claiming it's the ideal service if you have both Crunchyroll and Funimation Premium, as it plays content from both.

Not having to bounce between the two services sounds nice, but I tried making an account and the only thing it let me do was link my CR account.

Yet upon doing so, it also said my account wasn't premium. I don't see an option to unlink it and start over.

To add insult to injury, CR wasn't working for me last night, and I got an ad that told me to try VRV in order to avoid the high traffic CR was experiencing.

.....did they artificially induce server traffic so I would have to try out VRV?

I don't think they're faking it, but this isn't an ideal solution for being woefully unprepared for traffic spikes. I haven't bothered with VRV since I think it's only for mobile devices and desktop. No Roku app and that's how my wife and I watch most of our anime.

Quasar

So in recent months I've seen Kizumonogatari, Your Name, Ordinal Scale and Silent Voice. Now I'm wondering what other films I should be looking forward to.

I guess there's In this corner of the World, but who knows if it will get a foreign release.

kewlmyc

Still mad salty that A Silent Voice isn't being brought over to the Americas. When's the nearest big anime con so I can hope that Funimation picks it up?

DiGiKerot

So in recent months I've seen Kizumonogatari, You Name, Ordinal Scale and Silent Voice. Now I'm wondering what other films I should be looking forward to.

I guess there's 'in this corner of the world', but Who knows if it will get a foreign release.

International rights to In This Corner of the World are all sown up. I know they confirmed the window for UK theatrical already (back-end of June), at the very least.

-edit- US release is pencilled for September.

Still mad salty that A Silent Voice isn't being brought over to the Americas. When's the nearest big anime con so I can hope that Funimation picks it up?

Funimation seems pretty dedicated to making anime films in theaters a thing. I imagine if they get the license it'll be a thing, particularly with Your Name's success.

Well, BD release of In this corner of the world is planned for Summer, so even without more international screenings it shouldn't take that long anymore

Movie is great, luckily there were screenings in January here.

SOLDIER

I don't think they're faking it, but this isn't an ideal solution for being woefully unprepared for traffic spikes. I haven't bothered with VRV since I think it's only for mobile devices and desktop. No Roku app and that's how my wife and I watch most of our anime.

There's also a PS4 app, which is where I watch most of my media.

Hamst3r

Anyone use the VRV streaming service?

I made a VRV account a couple days ago and linked my CR account. It took quite a while for it to recognize the CR account as premium.

Interface-wise, I was mostly using it on a Roku 3, but it was fairly snappy compared to the CR and Funi apps. The iPhone app was fine. The browser site is lacking a ton of stuff, you can't even get to your watchlist or search there.

Also, I don't know if this is the case for other series, but if you check out Fairy Tail through Funimation you'll see that on the Funi site they have seasons 01 through 07, and on VRV they have seasons 02 through 08, and it doesn't look like just a numbering mistake. The episodes in the seasons that overlap are all the same.

I emailed them a few days ago about that last bit and haven't heard back yet.

Oh and because there's so much content from so many sources in that app, searching and browsing is kind of crazy-making. It's just layer after layer of distinctions and sub-pages.

Dive is looking great (AOTY2017)
C9B_SoIU0AAdqWM.jpg:large

I made a VRV account a couple days ago and linked my CR account. It took quite a while for it to recognize the CR account as premium.

Interface-wise, I was mostly using it on a Roku 3, but it was fairly snappy compared to the CR and Funi apps. The iPhone app was fine. The browser site is lacking a ton of stuff, you can't even get to your watchlist or search there.

Also, I don't know if this is the case for other series, but if you check out Fairy Tail through Funimation you'll see that on the Funi site they have seasons 01 through 07, and on VRV they have seasons 02 through 08, and it doesn't look like just a numbering mistake. The episodes in the seasons that overlap are all the same.

Oh and because there's so much content from so many sources in that app, searching and browsing is kind of crazy-making. It's just layer after layer of distinctions and sub-pages.

Oh so it is on the Roku. Though it kinda sounds like not a great experience from what you've said.

Nah, Lute is just being dumb. There's no reason to oppose Cheval regarding killing blighted monsters and yet he keeps doing it all the time without even considering Cheval's point of view while also claiming that they need to be friends and stick together. It's actually a pretty irritating attitude - "Hey, we need to be friends and stick together! Even our fathers were friends so we must be too! Now, stop speaking your mind and do everything like I want!"

Now, it's obvious Cheval is going down a wrong path, but that's not because he's willing to kill berserker monsters. I could understand the opposition if he talked about killing all monsters, but he hasn't gotten to that point yet.

But cant they explore saving them without killing, unless I missed something that thats not possible.

Line_HTX

So in recent months I've seen Kizumonogatari, Your Name, Ordinal Scale and Silent Voice. Now I'm wondering what other films I should be looking forward to.

I guess there's In this corner of the World, but who knows if it will get a foreign release.

I don't remember there being a US theater run of A Silent Voice. At least not that I heard of anyway.

SOLDIER

How long did it take for it to recognize your CR account as premium? Did it just happen automatically?

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 14

New OP and ED are eh. Strike time. Wages for Mages! Magical Girls deserve fair compensation! Wait, wrong series. So we're going all magitech. Hasn't Constanze been doing this the entire time? I knew she represented the future. I wonder how Ursula and Diana feel about all this. They're younger, so they may not be as opposed to magitech. Akko has good intentions, but she's really not helping matters. Croiz was obviously evil, which is a pity seeing how she does represent a valid point of view.

Clov

I'm so behind on anime thanks to Persona 5. Still need to watch Eccentric Family S2. I also need to finish those last two 3-gatsu episodes at some point soon...

How's Kabukibu? It seemed kind of cute.

Joe Molotov

I'm so behind on anime thanks to Persona 5. Still need to watch Eccentric Family S2. I also need to finish those last two 3-gatsu episodes at some point soon...

If you're playing Persona 5, then you're already watching all the good anime this season.

I would tell you about it if Amazon would put it up...It was on my plan to watch list :(

Andrew J.

LWA 14

I think this is the first time we've seen Diana outright fail at something. The past 13 episodes of "sasuga Diana" have primed us to expect her argument to convince the fairies easily, and so it was very satisfying for Akko to rally them against her.

e_i

I was thinking how Akashic Records of the Bastard Instructor does a reverse "No Dress Code" trope. The girls are required to wear those outfits.

Laughing Salesman 2

Continuing the trend of the second half's story cutting sharper than the first half's, this week featured a painfully caustic condemnation of the abusive cycle of Japan's working culture.

Taruranto

Seikaisuru Kado #1

Shoe...

What's with everyone's boner for this dude? Does anyone remember the other colleague?

Actually not much happened, weird anime girl scientist tried to break the alien cube for 15 minutes, which I guess was also kinda interesting because... magical alien cube.

This was listed as episode #1, but it's more like episode #2 because #0 seems fairly essential to me. I dunno if I would call it good anime so far, characters seem kinda boring, but I guess the premise is at least interest, if they manage to keep the mystery aspect up.

Kado: The Right Answer Eps 00-01

This was disappointing.

First, the two episodes has been slow. In the first one the entire episode is about a single obscure negotiation case that doesn't have anything to see with the real plot, that starts in the second episode. And in the second episode, they delay telling what really happened until the explanation we will have in the third episode.

Second, it falls on the trap of making a competent protagonist too competent, until a unrealistic point. He is like the Sherlock Holmes of negotiators (Edit: forget that comparison, at least Sherlock methods in most adaptations are entertaining to watch, not here). Or even more exaggerated.
Hell he doesn't really negotiate in the first episode, but he solves the first episode by creating a new metallurgic technology despite being an outsider, with 0 funds and just 1 month. What the fuck. Even with the help of a scientist, that's really really stupid.
Why is he wasting his time with the negotiator profession, he should be the next Edison! maybe the twist is that he is also an alien?

And of course everyone and everything is about the MC. Characters like the woman exists to be worried or to be amazed at our undefeated protagonist.
Funny how when she learns he was in the plane, she shouts worried his name: "Shindo-san!". Fuck that other guy who goes with him that she also knows.

Speaking of, the series fails in selling you that something as big and important as an alien Cube appearing from nothing is really happening, you see the reaction of the people in the office, and they are working normally, just saying "oh yeah I will get info about that thing". WTF.

Jarmel

Banned
Kado: The Right Answer Eps 00-01
First, the two episodes has been slow. In the first one the entire episode is about a single obscure negotiation case that doesn't have anything to see with the real plot, that starts in the second episode. And in the second episode, they delay telling what really happened until the explanation we will have in the third episode.
The first episode is about establishing the characters and their personalities. For a show that is seemingly going to be oriented around the personalities of those characters, that's important. The second episode was about establishing the difference in power between the two parties in that the humans are significantly outclassed.
Second, it falls on the trap of making a competent protagonist too competent, until a unrealistic point. He is like the Sherlock Holmes of negotiators. Or even more exaggerated.

Hell he doesn't really negotiate in the first episode, but he solves the first episode by creating a new metallurgic technology despite being an outsider, with 0 funds and just 1 month. What the fuck. Even with the help of a scientist, that's really really stupid.

Why is he wasting his time with the negotiator profession, he should be the next Edison! maybe the twist is that he is also an alien?
He didn't create anything though, he consulted with a scientist and had the scientist work with the factory to create a prototype. He didn't really do much other than put the two parties into contact with each other and get the ball rolling.
And of course everyone and everything is about the MC. Characters like the woman exists to be worried or to be amazed at our undefeated protagonist.

Funny how when she learns he was in the plane, she shouts worried his name: "Shindo-san!". Fuck that other guy who goes with him that she also knows.
It looks like the two have a personal history from a while back and are friends. That's why she was willing to do him all those favors. Of course she's concerned and the other guy presumably knows Shindo as well.
Speaking of, the series fails in selling you that something as big and important as an alien Cube appearing from nothing is really happening, you see the reaction of the people in the office, and they are working normally, just saying "oh yeah I will get info about that thing". WTF.
What office? The ones I remember were all government offices where they were researching/planning how to handle the emergency.

Szadek

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - Ep. 1
Pretty awesome final episode.
Pretty good show overall.

Henkei Shoujo - Ep. 1
It's only 1 minute long and I still coundn't finish it.

Re:Creators - Ep. 1
The were the first few minutes about?
Why was the fight scene, that takes like half the episodes, about the main girl not liking that evil chicks laugh?
What would winning even accomplish?
It sucks, dropped.

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul - Ep. 1
Lots of stuff happend for one episode, probably too much, but that's fine if they anime slows down from here.
Nina is a very likebale character so far.
Looks like the focus more on the plot this time around, which is a lot better half-assing it like last time.

KADO: The Right Answer - Ep. 1
Got super bored after a few mintues and stopped watching.

Sakura Quest - Ep. 1
Pretty cute show with small people with relatable problems.
Will watch a few more episodes at the very least.

Renai Boukun - Ep. 1
Stabbing Yandere/10

Hinako Note - Ep. 1
Cute girls doing cute things show of the season, but nothing you can't get better elsewhere.
Dropped.

Sakurada Reset - Ep. 1
It's like a super boring, super bland looking monogatari.

zulux21

Anyone use the VRV streaming service? Been getting advertisements claiming it's the ideal service if you have both Crunchyroll and Funimation Premium, as it plays content from both.

Not having to bounce between the two services sounds nice, but I tried making an account and the only thing it let me do was link my CR account.

Yet upon doing so, it also said my account wasn't premium. I don't see an option to unlink it and start over.

To add insult to injury, CR wasn't working for me last night, and I got an ad that told me to try VRV in order to avoid the high traffic CR was experiencing.

.....did they artificially induce server traffic so I would have to try out VRV?

only CR links right now, there is a chance funimation will link in the future, but their ads are mostly referring to you signing up to the VRV bundle which includes both crunchy and funimation premium.

though I know some shows are still missing.

for example one piece is no where to be found on VRV.

The first episode is about establishing the characters and their personalities. For a show that is seemingly going to be oriented around the personalities of those characters, that's important. The second episode was about establishing the difference in power between the two parties in that the humans are significantly outclassed.

It didn't need to spend 2 episodes in doing that. In fact there isn't a lot of personality to establish, they are simplistic in that regard for now. Guy A is your normal worker who wants to take vacations, and guy B is the serious, professional type with an inquisitive mind.

He didn't create anything though, he consulted with a scientist and had the scientist work with the factory to create a prototype. He didn't really do much other than put the two parties into contact with each other and get the ball rolling.

Yes, I understand the real work was done by the scientist, but it's still baffling. There are reasons of why he was saying a few minutes ago R&D need hundreds of million yens, because you need that money, and years, and dozens of persons to do it. Not one month and one scientist collaborating. Apart that the series avoids to tell what was the bright idea who he consulted to the scientist.
We could say his real work as negotiator was to put them in contact with the right person, but that still feels silly. There are technological institutes, universities, science journals, a lot of ways to contact the adequate scientist, you don't need him for that. That isn't the hard part of doing R&D, the hard part is the next 4-5 years.

What office? The ones I remember were all government offices where they were researching/planning how to handle the emergency.

Yep, because when the aliens come or a huge magical cube appears in your city, people in the government offices will work calmly and without problems. There won't be people rushing around, or panicking, or shouting, or anything. Just look at them!

Oh yeah, I forgot to talk about the 'assistant scientist'. Ugh. So animu, which it's pretty jarring as the series tries hard to be in 'serious mode' otherwise.

Taruranto

To be fair the cube made no damage so it makes that there wouldn't be mass panic, but it's a absolutely odd that civilians and journalists didn't swarm the place asap.

Jarmel

Banned
It didn't need to spend 2 episodes in doing that. In fact there isn't a lot of personality to establish, they are simplistic in that regard for now. Guy A is your normal worker who wants to take vacations, and guy B is the serious, professional type with an inquisitive mind.
They didn't spend two episodes on it though as the pair are barely in the second episode, and much of that limited footage was from the first. The introductory episode was to show how the two might handle a typical case and their relationship dynamics. For example the scene with Shindo putting Shun to bed was a nice scene establishing Shindo as the 'older brother' of sorts. It also demonstrated that Shindo has a lot of political clout and is well regarded in the government.
Yes, I understand the real work was done by the scientist, but it's still baffling. There are reasons of why he was saying a few minutes ago R&D need hundreds of million yens, because you need that money, and years, and dozens of persons to do it. Not one month and one scientist collaborating. Apart that the series avoids to tell what was the bright idea who he consulted to the scientist.

We could say his real work as negotiator was to put them in contact with the right person, but that still feels silly. There are technological institutes, universities, science journals, a lot of ways to contact the adequate scientist, you don't need him for that. That isn't the hard part of doing R&D, the hard part is the next 4-5 years.
At most what Shindo did was coming up with some manufacturing concept that the Japanese scientist apparently did all the number crunching for and the manufacturing plant did the prototypes for. There was also a line about how the plating tech at the factory matched some Cabinet program so presumably the government was already working on a project like this at some point. He really didn't do much. Not to mention he had a couple of days to research who might have been the head of the government program and background info on the plating tech.

Shindo was on a deadline and needed to contact the scientist immediately. The point is that he made it happen. Could the two parties have gotten together of their own accords? Sure but who knows how long it would have taken or even at all. Now maybe the timeline is unbelievably but the show emphasized that it was a prototype and far from finished.
Yep, because when the aliens come or a huge magical cube appears in your city, people in the government offices will work calmly and without problems. There won't be people rushing around, or panicking, or shouting, or anything. Just look at them!
Nobody knows what it is. In that scene there's a bunch of background noise which is probably people talking about the incident. Even in the shot you posted there are people in the background talking to each other. They all then gather around the TV less than a minute later to watch the news. They're not working calmly but they're also not shitting their pants. If not for the plane, it would be more a curiosity than anything else.
To be fair the cube made no damage so it makes that there wouldn't be mass panic, but it's a absolutely odd that civilians and journalists didn't swarm the place asap.
It landed at an airport which is already somewhat isolated from the populace. We did see those journalists fly near it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom