• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funimation is by far my favorite sub for anime. I drop Crunchyroll when they don't have anything really amazing, and since their deal to work together I've gotten nothing but what I've wanted from Funi (i.e. more dubs)

Crunchyroll also has a shitty player but it at least loads results faster and is easy to search.

RE:Creators 02

This show is trying its hardest to be completely insufferable at every turn, isn't it? The first half is minutes of meaningless LN-speak thats there to try and explain why any of this is happening but it ends up just circling back to a bunch of nonsense. Imagine if they spent a lot of time explaining how exactly the other world or demon summoning app works in Persona 5 instead of just saying "Eh its the collective unconscious" and you'd get some garbage like this. Your entire premise relies on the acceptance that this weird and unrealistic thing happened, so dont patronize the audience by trying to make it sound smart, because its not and doesn't need to be. This setup is like a worse version of Fate/Stay Night (seriously) and it has the same hand-wavy explanations of stuff like how the book apparently told everyone about everything so theres no culture shock.

Then the second half is fighting for next to no reason until another new character shows up to interrupt the fight, also for no reason. A bunch of fighting scenes that just make your eyes glaze over with Sawano music blaring over it.

The main character also has no reason to exist in this show, other then for characters to tell him things so the audience can hear it too.

If this just doubled down on dumb shit like sword violins and got its head out of its own ass this could be enjoyable junk food anime, but for some reason it fights battle isekai light novels to be something worth emulating.

Re:Creators 02

Art.

Ah, come on. This is more like: ART.

Bolded, caps, understrike and italics. All at the same time.

In the first episode it wasn't very clear if this was just a reverse isekai with an original 'meta' twist that would devolve into mediocrity or would raise as something more special.

In the second episode they put the cards on the table.
FLoMpqC.jpg

Oh, this is soo cheeky. This is going to be just a motherfucking Fate clone. Except one even more otaku than the original as instead of summoned mythological heroes, they are summoned otaku-media characters from LNs, games and anime. I suppose there will be good ones, bad ones, and others who have their own goals.
This is going to be so full of winks to tropes and stereotypes the audience knows.

Pity the direction in the second episode is already much worse than the one in the first ep.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maybe you're all just too dumb for Recreators

Is the second character from left supposed to be a Madoka lookalike?

More or less, think more a traditional magical girl like Precure. She tries to solve problems and make friends through extreme magical violence.

Why is the knight's design so bad?

Is it hard to design a knight?

Well, that's the point, maybe it's just a knight from some shitty anime with bad designs! :p

Same reason they can use a loli with silver hair in a weird oversized uniform as main bad, it comes from some mediocre manga!

HEYBOT! 29

I think they finally did it. They made a more abstract version of Gintama in this episode, and Heybot was just Shinpachi. He even got exhausted because he said "ja nei" too much. Heybot has ascended (?) to a new plane of existence and honestly, someone should take the time to stop it.

As Heybot master, I can say with certainty that this is the most :heybot episode yet. Its such rapid fire nonsense that I can't even explain it. I can't with images either, because I'm going to refer to it as stream of consciousness animation. I think the people who work on this show get to do whatever the fuck they want, and then they will slap together an episode based vaguely around something and there you have it. But then there is also overarching plot details and people from the future and one-off gag characters that are important and they flashback to an episode that was a dream and the details are wrong and

Heybot is pretty good

Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 24 The Chosen Answer engdub

Feels like so much was changed, and I thought they could have gone into the backstory a bit more seemed important revelations weren't even mentioned from it. Then with the solitude story going on, Heldaf basically did nothing wrong since it was the original Sheperd's curse that led to to the worldwide rise of malevolence.

Okay, not having seen just about everything (minus the stuff not being simulcast and second seasons of stuff I've never seen.) here's how I feel about everything in the season.

Tier 1: The Best Stuff:
My Hero Academia S2
Attack on Titan S2
Sakura Quest
KADO
ReCreators (It's dumb fun.)
Eromanga-Sensei
Grimoire of Zero
Girl Beats Boys
Sword Oratoria
Atom: The Beginning

Tier 2: Pretty Good:
Alice & Zouroku
Frame Arms Girl (Not keeping it though, don't want an Anime Network sub for just one show.)
Akashic Records
The Royal Tutor
Tsukigakirei
Love Tyrant
Ninja Girl & Samurai Master
WorldEnd (SukaSuka)
Seven Mortal Sins

Tier 3: Decent/Not Great/Lacking Something :
The Silver Guardian
Tsugumomo
Hinako Note
Berserk 2nd Season
Room Mate

Tier 4: Not so Good/Prefer Never to Watch Again.
The World Yamizukan
Laughing Salesman New
Armed Girl's Machiavellism
Sagrada Reset
Love Rice
Kabukibu!
Clockwork Planet
Don't Lose! Evil Corps (Or whatever its called in Japanese)
The Anonymous Noise

So in the end there's about 18-19 shows I'm generally having fun with. I definitely think out of the gate this feels like a better season than this past Winter, but we'll see how I feel as some of these just won't hold up in quality. How's everyone else fair? I'd be interested in seeing how everyone else breaks down the season similarly now that just about everything is out.

So in the end there's about 18-19 shows I'm generally having fun with. I definitely think out of the gate this feels like a better season than this past Winter, but we'll see how I feel as some of these just won't hold up in quality. How's everyone else fair? I'd be interested in seeing how everyone else breaks down the season similarly now that just about everything is out.
T1: Persona 5
T2: AoT2, Boruto, SukaSuka
T3:...
T4: Saenai Heroine, Re:Creators
T10: Eromanga sensei

It's quite honestly one of the crappiest seasons of recent times.

Got around 45hrs into it, I was already in my 3rd shrine, but I have no time to play it alongside Persona. I'm chipping away at the latter while missing the former aha.

It was literally the only thing I played/did inbetween watching and reviewing anime. Apparently I sunk 90 Hours into it before I finally decided to off Ganon and save Hyrule... I'm actually very confused about what I'm supposed to do with my free time now since Zelda is pretty much all I did for a month lol.

I'm not going to watch everything, but so far I have watched the opening episodes of Eccentric Family S2, Laughing Salesman, and Tsuki ga Kirei, and those are all very enjoyable in their own ways.

Quasar

It's quite honestly one of the crappiest seasons of recent times.

In terms of number of shows 'm enjoying I'd say it more than any season in over a year. So plentiful.

And based on episode 1 I expect Eccentric Family will be a contender in AOTY rankings. Assuming it stays consistent.

But hey Eccentric Family and Natsume alone would make it a great season for me. And I have a bunch of other cool stuff on top of that.

The best of the season has been the franchise players.
Yup I think you basically nailed it. There's no real "surprise" opener or anything like that, besides maybe SukaSuka. Everything else ranges from low-key boring, to mediocre, to straight up hot trash. It's a good season for action, but there's nothing else going for it. Just a quick glimpse at Spring in 2016, going by what everyone was talking about back then, we had:

- Re:Zero
- MHA
- Tanaka-kun
- Flying Witch
- Bungou Stray Dogs
- Sakamoto
- Kiznaiver
- Kuromukuro
- Macross Delta
- Mayoiga (lol)
- Space Patrol Luluco

Whether or not they were good, you can see diversity and everyone was either excited or aware of each of these shows' existence. This Spring in contrast has got nothing on last year's.

So, seeing a divide between people here on it being a good or bad season, I'm curious: How many shows have to wow/entertain you in a given season for you to say it's either a good season or a bad one?

There's 30+ anime every season and so the way I personally see it is that if I can find 15 shows I'm actually excited to see the second episode of, then it's a good season and a great one if there's more than I can reasonably keep up with over the next three months.

So, seeing a divide between people here on it being a good or bad season, I'm curious: How many shows have to wow/entertain you in a given season for you to say it's either a good season or a bad one?

There's 30+ anime every season and so the way I personally see it is that if I can find 15 shows I'm actually excited to see the second episode of, then it's a good season and a great one if there's more than I can reasonably keep up with over the next three months.
It's not about numbers for me, it's about entertainment value, how much I look forward to watching the shows I have on my plate each season. I can easily say I don't really care much for anything that I'm watching other than AoT2 atm when it comes down to it. I could go without watching the other 5 shows I listed.

Yup I think you basically nailed it. There's no real "surprise" opener or anything like that, besides maybe SukaSuka. Everything else ranges from low-key boring, to mediocre, to straight up hot trash. It's a good season for action, but there's nothing else going for it.

That's definitely wrong, but I guess there's no accounting for tastes.

It's a good season if there's either 1 really great show or 3-4 pretty good shows. It's not like I want to spend 15-20 hours every week solely on keeping up with anime that just aired.

Great - Eccentric Family, Bahamut Virgin Soul
Good - Attack on Titan S2, Laughing Salesman
Fine - My Hero Academia S2, Sakura Quest
Bad - RE:Creators

Still waiting to watch Atom the Beginning.

One show could save an entire season. Theres not a show close to being that one this season yet. So 1 10/10 show or a handful of 8 and 9/10 shows. This season is a mire of 5-7.

That's definitely wrong, but I guess there's no accounting for tastes.

It's a good season if there's either 1 really great show or 3-4 pretty good shows. It's not like I want to spend 15-20 hours every week solely on keeping up with anime that just aired.

Sounds like too many shows and it horse shoes around and becomes a bad season for you :p

But I get yah, too many good shows and you're spoiled for choice.

Quasar

It's not about numbers for me, it's about entertainment value, how much I look forward to watching the shows I have on my plate each season. I can easily say I don't really care much for anything that I'm watching other than AoT2 atm when it comes down to it. I could go without watching the other 5 shows I listed.

Well though whilst its hard to judge based on single episodes, there's at least 10 I'm really enjoying. Hell I tried 15 and really there's none I disliked. A couple the shine might wear off quickly though. I do think I have at least 8 keepers though. And thats with me not giving a shit about shonen action rubbish.

I guess my complaint would be no josei, well unless you count the sexy time short. But then non enough josei is my complaint every season. But overall it seems like its a season of plenty of variety.

Hand Shakers Episode 8 & 9 (engDub)

Koyori engdub voice is a good fit but I liked the JPN voice more for her, she sounded so much more determined during her big role. Episode 8 still has the most emotional part of the series, when Koyori is crying on injured Tazuna, it always makes me tear up. And then next episode when he is determined to win even when it will endanger them.

I like the details in the backgrounds, the crab in the storefront for example, lol.
C9fuCY3XUAAZH3d.jpg:small

Kodama battle will always be a favorite, especially when she is unleashing a flurry of attacks and we get a sound that makes me remember the sound of shields breaking in fighting games.
C9fntBLWsAE6VXk.jpg:small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom