• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix confirms goal to bring 'Final Fantasy 16' to Xbox

Draugoth

Gold Member
Mn6oWTxzRejcz4Xe33wm2G-970-80.jpg.webp

Speaking in a new interview (via HazzadorGamin), Square Enix legend Naoki Yoshida (often known affectionately by fans as Yoshi-P), confirmed that Final Fantasy 16 is slated for Xbox, although stopped short of offering a timeframe.

Final Fantasy 16 took the franchise into more of an action hack n' slash direction, riffing on games like Devil May Cry. While some fans lamented the lack of tactical combat prevalent in previous games, the game's spectacular combat visuals won over many new and returning fans regardless. However, the game was up until recently, fully exclusive to PlayStation 5. Final Fantasy 16 has since launched on Steam for PC, however, and managed to hit 27,000~ concurrent players at peak. Although you'd have to wonder how much more it might've done if it had launched simultaneously with its PlayStation version, taking advantage of the marketing cycle from its initial launch.

"Of course we did announce the PC version of the game, so looking towards the Xbox version, we do want to release it on Xbox," Yoshida said. "But when it comes to the specifics such as when the game would be available and such, we are not in a position to be able to share anything. But of course, I want to say that it’s not as if there’s zero hope, and we very much do want to achieve that. So players should not give up in terms of their hopes."

Source

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like that Existas guy's 2025 comment was true.

MS is probably trying to work out a game pass deal. Something stupid like that holding it up.

Eh not necessarily, the Pixel Remasters landed on Xbox without GP. The Mana games did though as they're probably nowhere near as 'popular' so easier to negotiate.

I doubt XVI lands on game pass if/when it comes to Xbox. Maybe some time after release.

StereoVsn

Looks like that Existas guy's 2025 comment was true.

Eh not necessarily, the Pixel Remasters landed on Xbox without GP. The Mana games did though as they're probably nowhere near as 'popular' so easier to negotiate.

I doubt XVI lands on game pass if/when it comes to Xbox. Maybe some time after release.
I am thinking SE is angling for dev help and MS is a lot more budget right now days.

Could actually be in dev but the Series S is causing them issues. No doubt it's going to be something like 720p @ 30fps on that if it does get ported.

It isn't supported on the Steam Deck but the footage I saw it was like 25-30 fps.

But yeah... 720p30.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Yeah gonna be honest there is no way i would buy again the game....
It was kinda of disappointed for me....
This. They are making changes for changes sake. Whereas games like Persona 5, Metaphor, Like a Dragon showed you can have super fun and engaging jRPG with more traditional combat.

StueyDuck

There's an almost 0% chance that the game doesn't come to Xbox...

That being said, what he said and what the article is saying aren't the same. This doesn't sound like a confirmation as it sounds like they are trying to work around a deal. He doesn't say the game is in active development for the platform like the thread suggests.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Curious if it will launch full price or with the price drop of the other versions.

It’s by far the worst mainline FF but at least it opens the way for other SE games to no longer be console exclusive. Even if you want an action-focused SE game there are better choices.

I still doubt Remake / Rebirth will be ported which is a shame as Rebirth is quite a solid game.

JimboJones

If MS provide the full porting costs (not sure if they do?) and other favourable terms then it makes sense regardless.
Yeah I'm just having a bit of fun, but I still think it's kind of crazy that the PC is a bigger hub for jrpg fans than Xbox is these days.
Microsoft really dropped the ball but what's new there!

Top Bottom