• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix confirms goal to bring 'Final Fantasy 16' to Xbox

yazenov

If it does release on Xbox here is some advice to Xbox Owners.

Don't gamepass it or wait for it to be put on gamepass go and buy it full price. This is your chance to show that it is worth SE's time to release their games on Xbox consoles and on Day 1 with PS.
Bad advice. MS themselves were pushing Gamepass hard down their consumers mouths with the best value in gaming marketing gibberish. Guess what, it worked. They aren't buying games on Xbox. Why buy games when you can rent it for cheap? And it's too late to teach old dogs new tricks. You can't teach Xbox fans to buy games this late into the generation when you have been training them for years to rent games. :p

Consumers will take the path of least resistance on their wallets. Unfortunately for them, 3rd party publishers aren't interested in Gamepass, unless they are paid a truckload of cash to pass on day one sales.

Last edited:

ap_puff

My exact thought.

That said, the article doesn’t actually suggest anything is actively in the works.
They're constantly complaining about how badly their games sell, wasting time on a platform that doesn't buy their games is completely ridiculous. They should be working on Final Fantasy 17 for PC, PS, and Switch 2 instead of trying to squeeze milk from a stone on a dying platform.

panda-zebra

If it does release on Xbox here is some advice to Xbox Owners.

Don't gamepass it or wait for it to be put on gamepass go and buy it full price. This is your chance to show that it is worth SE's time to release their games on Xbox consoles and on Day 1 with PS.
Terrible advice. This would not be anyone's chance to show or prove anything to SE - that's MS's job in the negotiations.

If a deal is in the works (or has been made) it's all about gamepass. SE are a lot of things, but they're not that stupid. They will have demanded a big guaranteed wad on a platform where the bulk of the userbase has long forgotten what it's like to buy and own full price games day 1. Throwing $70 at it wouldn't be telling SE anything at all, it'd just be keeping Phil Spencer knee-deep in gourmet burgers.

Segaswirl

Telling people on Xbox to buy it yet the whole reason we are here and this thread exists is because the game didn't sell on PlayStation with their shady deal. Why didn't you buy it?

I bought Strange Of Paradise and Crisis Core this generation for my Series X. Anyone that plays on Xbox doesn't owe Square shit.

Elios83

There's not zero hope, please do not give up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Translation: it's only going to happen if Microsoft pays enough for it, possibly through a Gamepass deal where Microsoft pays in advance pretending to believe the game would sell 1.5-2m units on Xbox without Gamepass.

Astray

Telling people on Xbox to buy it yet the whole reason we are here and this thread exists is because the game didn't sell on PlayStation with their shady deal. Why didn't you buy it?
Game sold at least 3m copies on PS5 within launch window. When was the last time anything sold like that on Xbox?

PS5 owners are the only ones who actually came through for this title in any way.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

I bought Strange Of Paradise and Crisis Core this generation for my Series X. Anyone that plays on Xbox doesn't owe Square shit.
So, I guess all third party deals are shady then, yes?

And it was a multimillion seller on PS5. It wouldn’t have added anything to the bottom line if Xbox was included, as it would have sold nowhere near as much.

No one on any platform owes Square shit.

Last edited:

Segaswirl

Game sold at least 3m copies on PS5 within launch window. When was the last time anything sold like that on Xbox?

PS5 owners are the only ones who actually came through for this title in any way.

Square doesn't seem to think so. It was an exclusive, who else was going to come through for it? Like I said, it's poor sales are why we are here.

Last edited:

cireza

triple-h-disgusted.gif

How about releasing good games instead ?

Last edited:
why waste time on this?
I don't get it either. It will probably be a 2 year old game by the time it comes over to Xbox, at min. To a small player base, that doesn't buy games in general, but also doesn't buy Japanese games that much.

Idk how much it costs to port a game like this, like not the slightest clue. But I really wonder how easy it is to turn a profit on a port of this and if it's even worth the risk

Darsxx82

Square doesn't seem to think so. It was an exclusive, who else was going to come through for it? Like I said, it's poor sales are why we are here.
You have to understand their reaction, they are the ones who tried to convince you that the exclusivity agreement between SE-Sony was going to turn out fantastically well and that PS was enough for the success of the franchise.

Now you have Square saying that the agreement with Sony was a failure for them, that they have decided to return to multiplatform and that more and more Square games are coming to Xbox.....It's called frustration for the new situation. 🤷🏻

Darsxx82

I don't get it either. It will probably be a 2 year old game by the time it comes over to Xbox, at min. To a small player base, that doesn't buy games in general, but also doesn't buy Japanese games that much.

Idk how much it costs to port a game like this, like not the slightest clue. But I really wonder how easy it is to turn a profit on a port of this and if it's even worth the risk
Maybe because both Square and MS would be interested in having the complete FF series in the Xbox ecosystem? Because MS wants to show that it is truly putting effort and is committed to improving the catalog of Japanese games in its ecosystem?

Maybe because the deal could be beneficial for both parties in the future?

If your plan is to seriously support a platform in the next releases of the FF series, the logical and appropriate thing to do is to start having that complete series on that platform/ecosystem.If at that stage the platform holders make it easy (finance part of the cost of the port), I don't think there's much to think about.

Last edited:

Astray

I mean Square has massive problems and is easily the worst-run publisher this side of Embracer and Ubisoft. If they think their issues get solved because they're porting to Xbox then they are very deluded.

Consider that in a generation where a lot of the AAA highlights were from Japanese and eastern publishers and devs, Square only had like.. FF16 and 7 Rebirth?

It's easily the weakest slate for any publisher this gen, even Ubisoft managed to score some hits here and there.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I mean Square has massive problems and is easily the worst-run publisher this side of Embracer and Ubisoft. If they think their issues get solved because they're porting to Xbox then they are very deluded.
If they're the worst, virtually every other publisher that is better than them is on Xbox.

Astray

If they're the worst, virtually every other publisher that is better than them is on Xbox.
That's part of why they're the worst.

They managed to fuck up a Sony money hat AND lose placement in the big early Series S/X push (wtf is the point of widening support after the race got run?). They also manage to fuck up when porting to PC and tend to graphics themselves out of Nintendo Switch ports.

Now you have this guy talking up a port that judging by his comments, isn't even remotely ready (PC to console isn't a straight comparison, but budget-to-reasonable PCs don't do well with the FF16 port, imagine how this game will run on PC when it chugs on PS5?).

They're a deeply unserious company when you really think about it.

Maybe because both Square and MS would be interested in having the complete FF series in the Xbox ecosystem? Because MS wants to show that it is truly putting effort and is committed to improving the catalog of Japanese games in its ecosystem?

Maybe because the deal could be beneficial for both parties in the future?

If your plan is to seriously support a platform in the next releases of the FF series, the logical and appropriate thing to do is to start having that complete series on that platform/ecosystem.If at that stage the platform holders make it easy (finance part of the cost of the port), I don't think there's much to think about.
The Xbox brand is dead. This would have made more sense 20 years ago but from SE and MS. It just comes across as nearly pointless now.

MS is probably trying to work out a game pass deal. Something stupid like that holding it up.
This is the only thing I want from se after the trash ff15. Played a few hours and nope due to the main characters. Felt the AAA jrpg genre was dead and simply relying on pure tropes to sell ( character designs to appeal to a specific Japanese audience with been there done that plot).

Atlus M. Demo hooked me within the anime cutscene into; expected high school jrpg crap aka was going to laugh at stale food being sold as new instead got racism/class warfare and executions. Unsure if this is the team from original atlus ( og xbox smt) if so feels like art over cash grab.

Sorry for the rant but I been burned by jrpgs ( snes) so gp allows me to filter good from bad.

There's not zero hope, please do not give up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Translation: it's only going to happen if Microsoft pays enough for it, possibly through a Gamepass deal where Microsoft pays in advance pretending to believe the game would sell 1.5-2m units on Xbox without Gamepass.
It works both ways msft needs titles and se needs people to care for a series that is practically dead (minus mmo) in a world of 5+ years of dev time.

I think a streamer said it best that they have 3 fanbases older that abandoned ff due to changes, older that are there for nostalgia and new fans. SE needs to get all 3 on board.

Shin-Ra

Square-Enix gets paid hat/promo partnership from PlayStation for the exclusive launch, quickly sells over 3M despite ~75% of PS5 players preferring performance 60fps modes, which is a worthless afterthought mode at best in FFXVI.

Steam I don’t have a clue.

Now they’re fishing for porting costs or a Game Pass deal on Xbox.

Square-Enix’s openly playing the platform game.

Mn6oWTxzRejcz4Xe33wm2G-970-80.jpg.webp

Speaking in a new interview (via HazzadorGamin), Square Enix legend Naoki Yoshida (often known affectionately by fans as Yoshi-P), confirmed that Final Fantasy 16 is slated for Xbox, although stopped short of offering a timeframe.

Final Fantasy 16 took the franchise into more of an action hack n' slash direction, riffing on games like Devil May Cry. While some fans lamented the lack of tactical combat prevalent in previous games, the game's spectacular combat visuals won over many new and returning fans regardless. However, the game was up until recently, fully exclusive to PlayStation 5. Final Fantasy 16 has since launched on Steam for PC, however, and managed to hit 27,000~ concurrent players at peak. Although you'd have to wonder how much more it might've done if it had launched simultaneously with its PlayStation version, taking advantage of the marketing cycle from its initial launch.

Source
And then they'll say sales were disappointing after it fails to reach a million.

JimboJones

Square-Enix gets paid hat/promo partnership from PlayStation for the exclusive launch, quickly sells over 3M despite ~75% of PS5 players preferring performance 60fps modes, which is a worthless afterthought mode at best in FFXVI.

Steam I don’t have a clue.

Now they’re fishing for porting costs or a Game Pass deal on Xbox.

Square-Enix’s openly playing the platform game.
SquareEnix has been like that since the beginning.
Their only loyalty is to who can make them the most money.

Unless Hiroshi Yamauchi has a tantrum with them lol.

Go_Ly_Dow

Are you under some sort of delusion that squenix games actually sell on Xbox?
Port probably comes under either scenario:

A. Xbox cover the port costs
B. Xbox hands a bag of cash to release it on Gamepass

I don't think they'd spend the money doing it otherwise. PS5 and PC is where the FF audience is and they know it. So they'd want an incentive.

Last edited:

yazenov

Dear square enix,

As an Xbox fan we don’t want this game. We don’t want any modern ff games. They all suck.

Regards, Xbox community.
Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Speak for yourself. A lot of people on your side of the fence are begging for this game, for a good reason. Its a great game!

Last edited:

ap_puff

Port probably comes under either scenario:

A. Xbox cover the port costs
B. Xbox hands a bag of cash to release it on Gamepass

I don't think they'd spend the money doing it otherwise. PS5 and PC is where the FF audience is and they know it. So they'd want an incentive.
Even if they cover the porting costs, the time costs arent free. Thats why I say they should be putting all their resources and lessons learned from FF16 into their next game.

Top Bottom