• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix promises FF7 Remake Part 3 won’t "betray fans of the original"

LectureMaster

Gold Member

Square Enix producer Yoshinori Kitase promised fans of the original Final Fantasy 7 that they won’t feel betrayed by FF7 Remake Part 3. Kitase made the comments to Anime News Network in response to questions about just how much the team will change FF7’s story, a question that’s hovered over the project for years after FF7 Remake introduced multiple timelines.

“We do hear a lot of players' different conjectures, saying, ‘Oh, how much will this story change from the original?’ Kitase said. “And I do want to comment that I don't think that's how it will be. We've always kept the original in mind, and I don't think it's going to be a storyline that will betray the fans of the original [game].”

“But also, at the same time, [it's] been 27 years since the release of the original Final Fantasy VII. There are these things that we feel we can only do now in the remake project that can bring a new happiness, a new sort of feeling of satisfaction to the players playing this game now 27 years later.”

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yeah… about that…

Lies No GIF

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Gonna potentially be a massive game storage needed wise if you think about the OG and where you go back to and what you do etc.

The world map and the travel options etc. Trying to be spoiler free.

SCB3

By the virtue of it not being a 1-1 remake and rather a multiverse thing they already have, and that’s not a complaint I love all 3 games but it was sold as a Remake originally so that fact alone says you’ve betrayed fans already

Cao Cao

3d481d34593cd9cce92a60d29732eac1c32bd3e0.gifv

Bullshit, in interviews about FF7 "Remake" they said it was a faithful adaption.

"In terms of how faithful the remake is to the original Final Fantasy VII, from the perspective of the storyline, it is very faithful indeed," Toriyama said"
Yoshinori Kitase, also chimed in: "Of course, all the memorable elements and key moments from the original have been faithfully reproduced, and you can enjoy experiencing those again."

Hunter 99

Well the "second part" is a horrible game at core. Remake was a good game, but the Rebirth felt like it was a whole other team. It's just an ugly copy-paste hub full of subpar minigames. Won't even touch the upcoming game.
I preferred remake over rebirth too. Those rebirth minigames just took me out the flow of the game.by about 50-60 hours i was done and just wanted to finish the main story.

Comandr

From the impressions I am getting... they Botched Weapons?
KqEqqo5.jpeg

To this…

P1qk3JV.jpeg

Needless to say the shift was jarring. It also sort of perfectly sums up the expectation vs reality surrounding the whole remake series so far. Bear in mind that the entirety of Remake and Rebirth are just the events of disc 1 of the original. Somehow 15-20 hours worth of content got blown up to around 80-100+ hours. My time for each game was 44 and 52 hours respectively.

So yeah to say something like oh don’t worry we won’t betray the fans of the original … feels like
hqDTiLV.jpeg

Last edited:

Aion002

Gold Member
They must make The Knights of The Round summon animation as long as possible.

Also, let us use Quadra Magic + Mime on it.

Last edited:

Doom85

Bear in mind that the entirety of Remake and Rebirth are just the events of disc 1 of the original.

Shouldn’t we also bear in mind that the majority of VII occurs in Disc 1? It wasn’t like IX where the discs actually felt evenly spread out in terms of story progression.

Stu_Hart

Neo Member
Fans of the original like myself don't care about whispers and alternate timelines. I know that wanted to up the level of intrigue, but I feel that it got messy. I still liked remake and rebirth, so I hope they really knock it out of the park with part 3.

So they are gonna have the same ending?

Instead of playing the OG FFVII and spending 40 hours in 1 game, you can now spend 240 hours in 3 bloated games to come to the same ending! Hooray!

I never even got through FFVII Remake, I was so bored by all the filler. There's no way I'm ever going to get through Remake, Rebirth, and Reunion, I have better games to play with those 240 hours of my life

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They already betrayed fans of the original by changing all the stuff they did, turning FF7 into Kingdom Hearts and having the worst Summoning system ever contrived.

I like the combat. Even if Granblue Relink is more my style.

After Remake and Rebirth, I trust them in finishing the trilogy. As a fan of the original, I was initially unsure about the new games but have loved them so far. I'm usually not into alternate storylines, but the surreal approach they took and the existence of the lifestream makes it work for me. It may be blasphemy, but I think there's room to surpass the original's ending. Can't wait for part three!

Last edited:

Metnut

I kind of want them to betray the original a bit and maybe keep a certain character alive. The OH was one of my favorites ever but wish they had gone all in on making some changes rather than multiverse.

StereoVsn

Personally I liked both FFVIIR games so far. The second game could do with a bit less mini-game filler and year, the ending was a bit….

But overall I am treating these as an alternate universe sort of an approach. Can’t wait for 3… hopefully it will release before PS6 comes out with that switch to UE5.

SkylineRKR

The game already did betray a lot of the story didn't it? There has been 2 parts out and some things are significantly altered.

If 3 will suddenly be true to the original then all the changes were for nothing. Which could be the case as its likely an excuse to keep some characters around for longer than they used to be.

It probably goes without saying at this point. Rebirth showed how far they're willing to deviate from the original....which is to say, not all that far really. Outside of the ending, the narrative structure of Rebirth is still very similar to the original FF7.

From the impressions I am getting... they Botched Weapons?

I'm not sure why people are thinking that the Weapons shown in Rebirth are a replacement for the ones you fight in the original, rather than an addition. Ruby/Diamond/etc didn't show up until after the point in the story where Rebirth ends....they will almost certainly make an appearance in the third game as unique Weapon variants.

Davesky

The first 2 games are already faithfull. The main plot device is Clouds PTSD and they needed a new way to express that. If they just kept that part exactly the same, with the Zack twist every fan already knows about, no one would be engaged or interested.

Minsc

Gold Member
KqEqqo5.jpeg

To this…

P1qk3JV.jpeg

Needless to say the shift was jarring. It also sort of perfectly sums up the expectation vs reality surrounding the whole remake series so far. Bear in mind that the entirety of Remake and Rebirth are just the events of disc 1 of the original. Somehow 15-20 hours worth of content got blown up to around 80-100+ hours. My time for each game was 44 and 52 hours respectively.

So yeah to say something like oh don’t worry we won’t betray the fans of the original … feels like
hqDTiLV.jpeg

Weapons looked pretty good to me, especially since it devours Tifa (iirc, it was someone), that was pretty neat. And yeah, they're not the real ones which will be in part 3, in Rebirth you saw those on all the posters you see scattered across the game.

You want a real travesty? It's the moogles. Fuck whoever designed them. Fire them. Toss them in the garbage and shut the lid. Burn those build a bear disgusting abominations from hell with fire and I hope you can kill them in part 3. God how did they make something that lets CG Sonic the Hedgehog nightmare shots look good in comparison.

Have you played and/or ended Rebirth ?

Off screening Aerith's death was so lame
I think the game could have benefitted being a bit darker in the dark moments.

Minsc

Gold Member
I jumped off after Part 1. Anyone left on this train deserves whatever SE pinches out.

Part 1 is like an alpha compared to Rebirth. This is quite possibly one of the most complex and most punishing games SE has released in a long, long time. From exploration to hard mode difficulty, I can't think of anything SEs released in recent times that can compete to Rebirth. The 1% of people who earned the platinum had to put in blood, sweat and tears. Or use a guide for so many hard mode fights. It pretty refreshing to see the vast ways the game forces you to adapt in hard mode, and even some fights on the dynamic difficulty.

Pretty much expect 150-200 hours for clearing through hard mode + platinum.

Top Bottom