• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

iFootball

Dear EA:

In an upcoming patch, can you add instant/quicker restarts?... such as what you can find in some recent games (like Motorstorm?)

In a game that pushes gamers to retry, retry, retry, retry... It would mean we can spend even more long hours playing with your game, and less time looking at a loading screen.

Thank You
I second that. And why does it take 3-5 seconds saving before it goes to a 3-5 second loading screen? And why is that loading screen static, why not include RiderNet data, like your goals, your competitors, brackets and so forth?

Absolutely...

And I really hope the game sells well enough to warrant this type of support/updates... for this iteration of the game.... because, in the hands of the Mkt people, this type of feedback can become the official list of "features" to implement in SSX-2.

Edit:... although now that I think about it... to be honest... I'd rather have an instant restart than all that information...

soultron

Banned
Dear EA:

In an upcoming patch, can you add instant/quicker restarts?... such as what you can find in some recent games (like Motorstorm?)

In a game that pushes gamers to retry, retry, retry, retry... It would mean we can spend even more long hours playing with your game, and less time looking at a loading screen.

Thank You

I feel like this is asking a lot when the game only takes maximum 5 seconds to restart. Just my thoughts though.

Dear EA:

Thank You
Yeah it is especially annoying as rewinds in this game are so punitive, especially for racing events.

Man, global events are like crack. I find myself only entering ones that are minutes/hours from completion, but then can't pull myself away because I keep feeling like I can do better. I stayed up waaay too late last night due to this. :|

Yeah I just banked 34-Million-(c) this morning. LOLS

AndyD

aka andydumi
The restart time varies based on how far you are from the start. I noticed near instant restart at the top of a run because all the assets are still in memory. Wait until the very end and it will take 10-15 seconds to restart. And several of those seconds on PS3 are a save before the loading screen appears.

Hehe watched the second developer diary earlier today. They said one of their goals was to eliminate frustration. I was amused.

What are your opinions on the fact that it is easier to stick landings? I think it pretty good actually, the game i much faster then previous games and I still bail from messing up my flip or simply hitting a ceiling. Having to correct yourself would only add additional frustration in my opinion.

Hehe watched the second developer diary earlier today. They said one of their goals was to eliminate frustration. I was amused.

What are your opinions on the fact that it is easier to stick landings? I think it pretty good actually, the game i much faster then previous games and I still bail from messing up my flip or simply hitting a ceiling. Having to correct yourself would only add additional frustration in my opinion.
Haha WHAAAAT

Look I really like this game but it is one of the most frustrating games I've played in a long time. It's certainly the most frustrating snowboarding game I've ever played. I had a real tough time getting through World Tour, but even getting bronze in some of the Explore challenges is currently above my skill level (or tolerance for pain, one or the other.)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I still can't beat the Death Zone race. It's not a difficult track at all but Griff is flying and one mistake means it's time to restart.

michaeljordanlol.gif

I second Neuromancer. This is easily the most frustrating SSX game ever. Maybe the most fun when everything is clicking but definitely the most frustrating.

Did you see that YouTube video I posted a few pages back? It helped me with Death Zone, got me to take a couple lines that work out better. But yeah luck does play a big part, once you lose your Tricky or you crash once you're usually hosed.

fuenf

Oh yeah, finally broke into the Platinum bracket on the Wrecking Crew Race It Global Event (drop cost 1.5M, total prize pool 5.2B). Got a sweet 11+ million credits coming my way unless someone shoves me down to the Gold bracket in the next 13 hours.

Thanks for the tip. Wrecking Crew is actually pretty awesome once you learn to stay clear of the trees. My first time was something like 1:51 and after some tries with a slower board, i finally managed to throw down a 1:24 which should secure a Platinum placement. Cant remember any other track with the same sense of speed and / or high speed corners.

Looking forward to this list! If you intend on posting it that is.

Here's my list of fun, non insane drops. By insane I mean either tons of death pits, or stuff that makes you freeze to death or run out of air. It's a work in progress.

SSX good drops

Rockies: 
Whitehorse mtn: Curlies Moustache, JT2
Extinguisher tower: Dagger, Broken tooth

Alaska: 
Silverthrone: Pan, unsanctioned (night time)
Foraker: Lock Jaw

Siberia: 
Boris: Vapor Trail, Big Show
Kara-Oiuk: critical mass, Don't make me

Himalayas:
Makalu: Serenity
Chomo Lonzo: Bear Claw

Alps: 
Vorassay: Hammer, Beyond the fall

Africa: 
Meru: Red Light, cork screw

Curufinwe

Takes 11-15 seconds on my PS3.

Yup, and if we we could cut that in half by installing the whole game to the hard drive that would make a huge difference.

I also hate the way you lose whatever song you're on when you have to restart. Every time a song I really like comes on at the start of an event I fuck up in the first 30 seconds or get swallowed by one of the infinite pits of death.

Bury

Neo Member
Finally got the game today. Went to gamestop to pick it up first thing in the morning and I have to say wow. I love this game. I just finished playing it for 8 hours straight and I think that's enough until tomorrow. Finished world tour and unlocked all the characters and took down a couple of guys scores on my friends list.

I only have one problem with it though and that's some drops on some mountains. Holy shit I must've died/restarted in these 8 hours more times than I ever did in my entire video game career. Africa's a bitch, Jeff or whatever his name is is a douchebag beyond words. Especially in that last event. Jesus Christ, i'll be beating him by a good 6 seconds near the beginning/middle and all of a sudden dude's right next to me, passing me and I fall in a pit. After an hour of restarting, I finally managed to beat the bastard and unlock him.

Now I'm going to rest for the rest of tonight and check my ghost tomorrow to see the DOSH rolling in. Goodnight bros

Finally got the game today. Went to gamestop to pick it up first thing in the morning and I have to say wow. I love this game. I just finished playing it for 8 hours straight and I think that's enough until tomorrow. Finished world tour and unlocked all the characters and took down a couple of guys scores on my friends list.

I only have one problem with it though and that's some drops on some mountains. Holy shit I must've died/restarted in these 8 hours more times than I ever did in my entire video game career. Africa's a bitch, Jeff or whatever his name is is a douchebag beyond words. Especially in that last event. Jesus Christ, i'll be beating him by a good 6 seconds near the beginning/middle and all of a sudden dude's right next to me, passing me and I fall in a pit. After an hour of restarting, I finally managed to beat the bastard and unlock him.

Now I'm going to rest for the rest of tonight and check my ghost tomorrow to see the DOSH rolling in. Goodnight bros

The real DOSH is in 1/1.5/2Million Drop Cost Global events.

-77Million(c) GE's (Lifetime Earnings)
-37Million(c) GE's (Pending Earnings)
-43Million(c) in the bank right now (~35Million of that is what I woke up to/new events that ended today)

My secret is I only play in the high-roller GE's (unless it's a GAFbro's Custom GE) no more "0 cost" GE competition from me as they have horrible effort/reward ratios. And especially thanks to the high-roller GE's that last a 12,6, or 2 hours each day as they usually reset themselves right back to high-roller status right after so the money I win is reinvested for more winnings, LOL.

IF you have XBL you could add me and you'd always see all the nice drops on your recommendations because I spend most of my time looking through each range for the new high-roller drops every time they end/reset.

PS. I had the day off today and spent 5+ hours or more playing SSX (with the 360 turned on @ the GE screen scoping them out while I surfed the web) to get the Platinums for the SSX(c)'s today and secure winnings for later, so yeah. :{P

Stackboy

I have a really hard time remembering which drops I really enjoy, because there are so many of them. It's not necessarily a bad reflection, it just means I play lots of tracks before I find one I really want to focus on.

Does favouriting tracks help this?

I have a really hard time remembering which drops I really enjoy, because there are so many of them. It's not necessarily a bad reflection, it just means I play lots of tracks before I find one I really want to focus on.

I doubt it, that's why I made a list.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Don't think there's any way to see what your favorites are. I don't even think it saves them after you turn the game off.

This game really could have used a manual.

Hale-XF11

Don't think there's any way to see what your favorites are. I don't even think it saves them after you turn the game off.

Well, there's the digital manual, but it's almost completely useless. I mean, there's features in this game that none of us know how to use. It's silly.

maomaoIYP

Yesterday I got a platinum on the Death zone survival after 4.5 runs using only the wingsuit. SO GOOD.

edit: Any consensus on the hardest drop? I think it's Sentinel, in the Alps

Dragnet

Really wish there was a drop filter sometimes, I only want to see 1m+ events! When I'm looking for high roller events I find the globe tedious to look through too. It's a nice interface that works well, I just wish everything was a bit faster. Especially the game bootup! Jesus Christ, how many times has it been said: Devs, take a leaf out of CoDs book!

Well, there's the digital manual, but it's almost completely useless. I mean, there's features in this game that none of us know how to use. It's silly.
Really wish there was a drop filter sometimes, I only want to see 1m+ events! When I'm looking for high roller events I find the globe tedious to look through too. It's a nice interface that works well, I just wish everything was a bit faster. Especially the game bootup! Jesus Christ, how many times has it been said: Devs, take a leaf out of CoDs book!
I was having this problem too, Every morning I look around the globe and i've noticed the patterns they have from day to day... but i think they change the patterns every week maybe?

We need a Post-Launch Dev Diary on SSX's RiderNet explaining all the features, Tips, Tricks, and how the backend works with regard to online players showing up around you, GE Brackets/Payouts math, and Drop Reset Patterns. Seriously. Please.

-One thing I'd like to suggest to the devs, the RiderNet GE Recomendation Window After a run is great... but, why can't I access it normally without having to complete a run first?
-Why can't we filter GE recommendations (or the GE Main Menu) by Drop Cost, friends competing, or other metrics?

Add me if you're on XBL... geez sometimes i wish this game had at least cross-platform servers for scoreboards if not friends...

Hale-XF11

Add me if you're on XBL... geez sometimes i wish this game had at least cross-platform servers for scoreboards if not friends...

It's weird, but this is the only game that has really caused me to think that would make the most sense. It's not like RiderNet is or has to be platform specific. Still, it feels strange not being able to be part of each others' experiences. Global events don't exactly feel like global events to me when I consider that both platforms basically split the SSX community right down the middle. Someone on XBL might have some better scores than I do on PSN and I'd like to know about it and go after their scores. I'm sure that goes both ways. But, you can't have everything I suppose and hopefully they have a good reason for that not being part of the experience.

Dragnet

We need a Post-Launch Dev Diary on SSX's RiderNet explaining all the features, Tips, Tricks, and how the backend works with regard to online players showing up around you, GE Brackets/Payouts math, and Drop Reset Patterns. Seriously. Please.

-One thing I'd like to suggest to the devs, the RiderNet GE Recomendation Window After a run is great... but, why can't I access it normally without having to complete a run first?
-Why can't we filter GE recommendations (or the GE Main Menu) by Drop Cost, friends competing, or other metrics?

Great suggestions. I'd love a dedicated page that tells me the events I'm currently in too, including the specific time until it ends. The method used at the moment is again, slooow. Want to check the time remaining on your GE? 1 button press to find out, 3 button presses to get back to where you started. Too many!

I think it's a shitty trade-off. Now you can do any trick without fear that you started it too late just by letting go of the buttons/sticks. I also hate that you're awarded more points for doing only one trick and holding it than you are in doing multiple tricks off one jump. Instead the difficulty was added by loosening the controls, speeding it all up, and putting death holes all over the place as well as rails and jumps that often lead to a death hole or over a cliff.

Anybody find themselves missing Johnny Morgan's music and sound design from the first three games? It's pretty nitpicky, but I really missed not just having the music fade out on jumps, but recede into the basic beat driving the tune. The sound design in the latest one is good too, but it's just not the same. Wish there were options regarding the remix feature.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yeah retry loading times are really bad especially in a game that uses a Trackmania-like online system. I'm on PS3 and Todd Batty told us that retries take 5 seconds. He didn't tell that was on 360 and installed on the hard drive.

Anybody find themselves missing Johnny Morgan's music and sound design from the first three games? It's pretty nitpicky, but I really missed not just having the music fade out on jumps, but recede into the basic beat driving the tune. The sound design in the latest one is good too, but it's just not the same. Wish there were options regarding the remix feature.

Completely agree. I thought this was the kind of things the team was talking about with the sound design, but honestly it's been kind of disappointing. I still like the music and they did an okay job, but it's definitely not as good as the stuff particularly in SSX 3.

Tokubetsu

I can gold/plat most events but yeah diamond is like whaaaaaa????

Again, Diamond is literally the best time/trick/meter for a particular event since only one person can be in Diamond bracket at a time. To hold diamond is to be the best person on an event (so far). It's supposed to be a big thing to have/hold it. If you can get to diamond bracket, and hold it, it means you're the shit.

Hale-XF11

All one needs to achieve diamond is to obsess over one drop over and over and over again for like, two days straight. Maybe longer. I may or may not have done this.

Tokubetsu

All one needs to achieve diamond is to obsess over one drop over and over and over again for like, two days straight. Maybe longer. I may or may not have done this.

This, or snipe them. Get on at like 4am, and bomb one of the runs that end in like fourty minutes

Hale-XF11

This, or snipe them. Get on at like 4am, and bomb one of the runs that end in like fourty minutes

lol, I've done this a couple of times, even with just around a few minutes left just to see if I could get a good run in. It's kind of exhilarating knowing you only have one or two chances to get it right.

Tokubetsu

lol, I've done this a couple of times, even with just around a few minutes left just to see if I could get a good run in. It's kind of exhilarating knowing you only have one or two chances to get it right.

Even better when the event has a drop cost too. All about that return on investment!

Top Bottom