• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

I remember it being Mario Kart on snow. c:

Someone beat my Rolling Thunder time! I demand the crook fess up.

whoever kingbitty is he beat your 1.05 time to 1.03 lol?

-Ah crap my 13,000 Distance on teh New Death Zone Event was knocked down to Gold, time to bunker down for 40 minutes and get past 30,000 in one RUN!

:pRAY FOR ME:

soultron

Banned
whoever kingbitty is he beat your 1.05 time to 1.03 lol?

-Ah crap my 13,000 Distance on teh New Death Zone Event was knocked down to Gold, time to bunker down for 40 minutes and get past 30,000 in one RUN!

:pRAY FOR ME:

kingbitty = Todd Batty.

CURSE YOU, BATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

kingbitty = Todd Batty.

CURSE YOU, BATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

yeah i was following his ghost instead of yours for some reason when I hit platinum... he must have dev equipment on the rider or something... because i loled when he got off the first jump so far away and then rocketed away boosing like the roderunner.

I had a LVL10 Eddie w/ LVL10 Leg. Rocket Board w/+tricky time, and a Leg. Glowing Suit w/+boost and I couldnt keep up with him, his line and boosting was near perfect.

soultron

Banned
yeah i was following his ghost instead of yours for some reason when I hit platinum... he must have dev equipment on the rider or something... because i loled when he got off the first jump so far away and then rocketed away boosing like the roderunner.

I had a LVL10 Eddie w/ LVL10 Leg. Rocket Board w/+tricky time, and a Leg. Glowing Suit w/+boost and I couldnt keep up with him, his line and boosting was near perfect.

I always get Tricky off the first jump. :p

Yeah, he's insanely good at the game. It's not trickery/debug magic, he's just really good. The dev team in general are just crazy-good at the game.

Stackboy

any news if a PC version is in the works? (don't own a 360/PS3, so not an option)

I would love a PC version of SSX. Just so all my PC loving friends would play and I could join them (and smash them).

This game is my ultimate chillout game and should be for quite a while. Try to beat some friends time or score, then play a few events. Love it. Hope the sales are good and we see a sequel and some great DLC.

soultron

Banned
I would love a PC version of SSX. Just so all my PC loving friends would play and I could join them (and smash them).

This game is my ultimate chillout game and should be for quite a while. Try to beat some friends time or score, then play a few events. Love it. Hope the sales are good and we see a sequel and some great DLC.

I don't even want to play anything else right now. It's crazy.

I have Amalur. I should go pick up my copy of Mass Effect 3 that's paid for. But I can't rip myself away from this game. I haven't even played all of the drops in the game yet.

Although I'm super busy with other stuff in my life right now, I play this whenever I get even ten spare minutes. I've not been so hopelessly addicted to a videogame since COD4.

Tokubetsu

Idk if I'd call it a chillout game. I haven't been this in love/hate with a game since Ninja Gaiden II. Mentor and Master Ninja playthrough flashbacks.

soultron

Banned
Idk if I'd call it a chillout game. I haven't been this in love/hate with a game since Ninja Gaiden II. Mentor and Master Ninja playthrough flashbacks.

How to turn SSX into the ultimate chillout game:

1. Turn down all audio categories except for Sound Effects
  2. Pick any run in Explore
  3. Jump out of the heli, then brake until you come to a complete standstill, let the ghost and AI riders disappear into the distance
  4. Carve the shit out of everything
  5. Never boost
  6. Chill out, my SHREDDING BROTHER

That's how I do it, at least. Some runs take me upwards of ten minutes because I go slow.

Yo Shredding Bros. Been playing and got a lot better at this game. Been hitting Golds on Explore and Global Events. Point of advice: play Wingsuit events. They will totally make you a better player. At first I was intimidated by tracks with chasms and whatnot, but once you get used to the momentum of your board, picking the right mods and learning how to carve, it's pretty legit. The wingsuit can help you get a good feel of the track, extend your combos to who knows where, and just feel cool in general gliding all over the place. Sure the controls are a little weird, but once you get used to it, it's smooth sailin.

Hale-XF11

Yeah, I'm hooked too. Global events are a blast, especially when the scores are so close and there's a few minutes left on the clock. Explore mode is gonna take me a long, long while to get all the medals since I tend to take my time with it. I like soultron's idea for just chilling out with a lot of the sounds turned off. It's this whole other experience and it just feels great to ride around.

Can we all concur Platinum is like wat

Nope. I was Knocked down to Gold (@ 13,000k Distance) on DEATH ZONE's 1MILLION(c) Global Event, so I was trying again and this time to really secure my time to prevent further knockdown for the remainder of it's running (5 more days) and I was at 20,000k Distance on a roll thinking I could reach Diamond @ 41k when Ridernet disconnected....

Then i went back in and in 27 minutes I descended 26,097k Distance no problems, muscle memory was like zen-mode for me the whole way. Surpassed the Platinum Minimum of 13k by almost double. FUCK YEAH.

And that 1MIL investment on that run is now a 7.1 MIL return in 5 days. :D

I always get Tricky off the first jump. :p

Yeah, he's insanely good at the game. It's not trickery/debug magic, he's just really good. The dev team in general are just crazy-good at the game.

Dude i have been getting tricky off the first jump. I think the key is to extend the letters of super tricky slowly one at a time until the last leg and then activate it to :smash bros voice: "RACE TO THE FINISH!!!" lol

Was doing a GE today on Sentinel, Survive It, and the Diamond leader had 100K metres. He went down nearly 50x.

wat
:0 man thats crazy... I like easy money but not boring money...

Though I have to say it, Death Zone and the other platinum runs that I've got millions in return waiting for me weren't easy at all at first.

So in reality I like the challenge of conquering a new track and getting familiar with it though trial and error, and making it easy for myself in the future. In case a 1MIL(c) Global Event comes along on it so I can go to the B-A-N-K.

I just wish there weren't so many tracks with the pits in the dark and the jumps off the sides of mountains into the abyss. It's such an awesome game on certain tracks, but about a third of them really start frustrating me when I restart over and over again from a pit that I didn't see.

Tawpgun

Nope. I was Knocked down to Gold (@ 13,000k Distance) on DEATH ZONE's 1MILLION(c) Global Event, so I was trying again and this time to really secure my time to prevent further knockdown for the remainder of it's running (5 more days) and I was at 20,000k Distance on a roll thinking I could reach Diamond @ 41k when Ridernet disconnected....

Then i went back in and in 27 minutes I descended 26,097k Distance no problems, muscle memory was like zen-mode for me the whole way. Surpassed the Platinum Minimum of 13k by almost double. FUCK YEAH.

And that 1MIL investment on that run is now a 7.1 MIL return in 5 days. :D

Nope sorry. Meant Diamond. Diamond is absurd.

SadAli

Neo Member
Yo Shredding Bros. Been playing and got a lot better at this game. Been hitting Golds on Explore and Global Events. Point of advice: play Wingsuit events. They will totally make you a better player. At first I was intimidated by tracks with chasms and whatnot, but once you get used to the momentum of your board, picking the right mods and learning how to carve, it's pretty legit. The wingsuit can help you get a good feel of the track, extend your combos to who knows where, and just feel cool in general gliding all over the place. Sure the controls are a little weird, but once you get used to it, it's smooth sailin.

Had been putting these off as having so much fun on straight runs but actually tried a few yesterday and was surprised by how much fun they were. I thought it was going to be a horrendous trial and error of learning the course but it seemed pretty forgiving about, apologies, winging it.

Really trying to train myself to slow down on Trick runs but as soon as the adrenaline starts pumping I can't resist boosting all over the place and chipping through the course.

Also suspect I may have to retrain my brain to use the buttons instead of the right stick as it's already feeling a lot looser after just a a few days of abuse.

red731

I hate it when I am in survival, with camera closest to rider and the game decides to write how much meters are remaining!

There is no option to turn it off!

"Not enough hazards in survival. Add notification in the middle of the screen that cant be turned off or positioned elsewhere."

ed: I dont need it, but people elsewhere wanted skis to be in next game. Would be cool.
Also RIP, skier in the video.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Man, global events are like crack. I find myself only entering ones that are minutes/hours from completion, but then can't pull myself away because I keep feeling like I can do better. I stayed up waaay too late last night due to this. :|

fuenf

Fuck this game, whoever set some of the gold medal Trick It scores should be fired. Don't care if they went for the Demon Souls feeling but some of the target scores are inhuman. It's not that they are impossible to achieve, they are not but that it's impossible earn a gold medal on a consistent basis. The Trick It Event on Punch Up (the Ice Deadly Descent) is so random: the ice makes it nearly impossible to obtain a high mulitplier and if you do, you still need infinte amounts of luck to stay on course thanks to the shitty PS3 controls. To know that I can achieve the score (came up 300k short after 1h of practice) makes it all the more frustrating.

fuenf

Easily one of the dumbest Trophies/Achievements in the history of videogames. Not only is it impossible to achieve on PS3, it even gives you the feeling that SSX is a giant flop, come on EA fire up the damn bots for Global Events already. To be honest EA kinda dropped the ball on SSX, it's not that it's a bad game but there are just so many "obvious" features missing that would really improve the gaming experience:
  • Voice Chat on PS3
  • Online Profile with Statistics / True online wall (even the FIFA Street demo does a better job at showing you what your friends are up to)
  • Leaderboards / Global Event Standings. I wanna see who won the Global Event, how my friends placed, the final point difference between the brackets
  • Some kind of guidance in Explore mode, yeah SSX is great but Explore Mode is more like a giant sandbox. There's no reason that the Drops / Peaks couldnt be ranked in "easy, normal, hard, very hard" tiers.
  • real races (at least for single player): "Race It" is nice but it cant replace the fun and replay value of true head to head races.
  • offline and online tourneys with different peaks / modes etc.
  • some form of online martchmaking
  • equipment that isnt randomly generated, ability to see the equipment of other riders in a GE

Dont get me wrong SSX is awesome but the online compoment feels like an enhanced single player and never like a true multiplayer experience.

fuenf

I think it's one of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had. It's atypical, but it's incredible.

It's fun but it's not real multiplayer for me. I mean at least show me a results screen after the event is finished. Like i said i love SSX but there are these special moments in the game when you are doing a Global Event and there are 3-5 other riders riding by your side. That's when the real magic in the game happens. It's just sucks that there's almost no way to communicate with them, or even know who they are and how they are doing. I like what the team is doing with SSX but it feels unfinished / rushed.

I've downloaded most of the music from the game(Houdini, Breezeblock, etc) and I'm going to set the Tricky Pretty Lights Remix as my ringtone/text tone, cause that's how awesome this game is

Mikeside

My PS3 copy just arrived today - can't wait to get it home and dive into it :D

Looking forward to the way the online has been implemented - hit me up on PSN "IamMikeside" :)

Here's how to make it a chillout game: create a custom global event with like a 10 or 20 minute limit on a drop zone that is not insane (I'm making a list of the ones I like the most). Then just jam down and have fun and look for snowflakes and geotags. Also make a custom playlist with whatever chillout music you want.

So much fun. I reject the rivalry aspect of the game, I just don't care, I'd rather go at my own pace, do the tricks that look cool, and see the sights.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Here's how to make it a chillout game: create a custom global event with like a 10 or 20 minute limit on a drop zone that is not insane (I'm making a list of the ones I like the most). Then just jam down and have fun and look for snowflakes and geotags. Also make a custom playlist with whatever chillout music you want.

So much fun. I reject the rivalry aspect of the game, I just don't care, I'd rather go at my own pace, do the tricks that look cool, and see the sights.

Looking forward to this list! If you intend on posting it that is.

Just got into this over the past couple days. I put my GT on the sheet but 360 boarders feel free to shoot me a friend request at ReaganStein

jkoch

My wife and kids are out of town visiting family until Monday, and I hardly have any plans. I'm going to be playing a lot of SSX this weekend!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh yeah, finally broke into the Platinum bracket on the Wrecking Crew Race It Global Event (drop cost 1.5M, total prize pool 5.2B). Got a sweet 11+ million credits coming my way unless someone shoves me down to the Gold bracket in the next 13 hours.

iFootball

Dear EA:

In an upcoming patch, can you add instant/quicker restarts?... such as what you can find in some recent games (like Motorstorm?)

In a game that pushes gamers to retry, retry, retry, retry... It would mean we can spend even more long hours playing with your game, and less time looking at a loading screen.

Thank You

AndyD

aka andydumi
I second that. And why does it take 3-5 seconds saving before it goes to a 3-5 second loading screen? And why is that loading screen static, why not include RiderNet data, like your goals, your competitors, brackets and so forth?

Top Bottom