• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat |OT|

Dennis

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Got it working...fooled the game by saving to user_atmosfear.ltx, and then overwriting it before loading.

edit: ugh...good thing I backed up the default config. The Atmosfear config is god awful. The bloom and depth of field makes me want to tear my eyes out.
I don't use the config. Just the basic mod itself. And thanks for the feedback on the video.

TheExodu5

Banned
DennisK4 said:
I don't use the config. Just the basic mod itself. And thanks for the feedback on the video.

Good. The default game config is just fine. The atmosfear config looks like he took a bunch of vaseline and smeared it all over the screen. The depth of field is also like when you're aiming down the sights...except it's always on.

Anyways, as for the video, you try recording at half-resolution? You might get a much better framerate. I also recommend saving it to a different drive than what you're running off of. You'll get far better performance as STALKER streams and will keep your HDD somewhat busy. I have an OS drive, a games drive, and a media drive...I save to my media drive and get much better performance.

Whoompthereitis said:
Is there a continuous story arc between the three games? Why do people suggest starting with the first one?
there are some story things, but not really important. there is a really nice gameplay and mechanics evolution between the three games though. if you have any interest in playing more than one of the games it's nice to see what they did. otherwise just go straight for call of pripyat.

Dennis

Banned
Thanks for the video advice TheExodu5. Unfortunately, I can't record to another HDD - and I am almost out of HDD space, anyways.

What I wanted to do was just show that when actually running the game at 1080p it looks very close to the screenshots I have posted - people on the boards where I post keep saying the pics just look good because of downsampling.

John said:
I... is there a "trade" button or something? Whenever I talk to people my only options are "Tell me something new" or "See ya!"
trade is different to the dialogue options btw. it is a button centred at the very bottom of that screen.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I don't use the Atmosfear config either. Just the mod. Lighting and weather is great.

vocab

DennisK4 said:
Thanks for the video advice TheExodu5. Unfortunately, I can't record to another HDD - and I am almost out of HDD space, anyways.

What I wanted to do was just show that when actually running the game at 1080p it looks very close to the screenshots I have posted - people on the boards where I post keep saying the pics just look good because of downsampling.

The video looks good, but when I played some of it, it looked nothing like your screen shots. I guess the mod makes a world of difference. I really want the first Stalker to go on sale so I can start playing these games.

vocab said:
The video looks good, but when I played some of it, it looked nothing like your screen shots. I guess the mod makes a world of difference. I really want the first Stalker to go on sale so I can start playing these games.
are you talking steam? the thq bundle is quite cheap

-Mikey-

So where can I find the Bubble artifact? I had one and gave it to Bear by mistake but since then I've been going back to the swamp in Zaton looking for one to spawn.

Any other anomalies where this artifact is located?

-Mikey- said:
So where can I find the Bubble artifact? I had one and gave it to Bear by mistake but since then I've been going back to the swamp in Zaton looking for one to spawn.

Any other anomalies where this artifact is located?
Aren't the anomalies random and change with each emission?

pestul

What do you guys recommend for settings for my system?

Core i7 920 @4GHz
Radeon 5850 (default - haven't ran the game with my 900/1250 oc yet)
6GB DDR3
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I installed the more realistic mod and it looks nice. Should I use DX11 or DX10.1 mode? I just tried using DX11 and disabling tesselation, but that seemed to make it more choppy. Just about every other setting is max. My res is 1680x1050. Where can I gain a few frames back? View distance scaler?

Thanks.

TheExodu5

Banned
pestul said:
What do you guys recommend for settings for my system?

Core i7 920 @4GHz
Radeon 5850 (default - haven't ran the game with my 900/1250 oc yet)
6GB DDR3
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I installed the more realistic mod and it looks nice. Should I use DX11 or DX10.1 mode? I just tried using DX11 and disabling tesselation, but that seemed to make it more choppy. Just about every other setting is max. My res is 1680x1050. Where can I gain a few frames back? View distance scaler?

Thanks.

Atmosfear I found gave me a big performance hit (cut my frames in half). I'd say that's the first place to start. I really don't find it to be worth the hit in performance.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So guys, what is performance like with this one?

STALKER runs silky smooth for me with any mod installed, but I had some problems with Clear Sky. Mostly a choppy framerate; sometimes really smooth and sometimes quite choppy. I realised you could lower a lot of the effects (sun rays, SSAO, etc) and have them look no worse yet get a nice performance increase.

Is Cal of Pripyat similar in iffy engine optimisation? I cant help but feel the crew are dumping all the newest fanciest graphical effects in their engines without spending any time to properly optimise and tweak them.

Oreoleo

EatChildren said:
So guys, what is performance like with this one?

STALKER runs silky smooth for me with any mod installed, but I had some problems with Clear Sky. Mostly a choppy framerate; sometimes really smooth and sometimes quite choppy. I realised you could lower a lot of the effects (sun rays, SSAO, etc) and have them look no worse yet get a nice performance increase.

Is Cal of Pripyat similar in iffy engine optimisation? I cant help but feel the crew are dumping all the newest fanciest graphical effects in their engines without spending any time to properly optimise and tweak them.

There's a benchmark program you can download from the Call of Pripyat website that will let you see how your rig can handle it.

speculawyer said:
I just can't see the name of this game without thinking about that condition where your dick gets hard and won't get flaccid.
erections are probably pretty painful in pripyat

EatChildren said:
that's what they did for clear sky yeah, call of pripyat feels way better optimised.

Flib

This loading thing is driving me crazy. When I first start up the game (I timed this), it takes 6 minutes and 23 seconds to get from the main menu into a loaded game. That's insane. Quick loading/reloading take around a minute and a half. The game runs great on my rig, 50-60fps at 1900x1200 at high settings, but this loading is intolerable and making the game unplayable (especially since I die all the time, haha). I can't seem to find any workarounds on the forums either.

edit: ugh, apparently according to the steam forums, it's a problem with the steam client on some systems, and the only current workaround is to use a nodvd crack. This is absolutely retarded, I think I'm going to wait on playing through the game until steam figures this out. Some people are saying it's a securom issue as well.

pestul

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I shouldn't have cranked the view distance and the distance the sun effects. I'll experiment with it. I think DX11 without tessellation is the fastest now. The only time I notice outrageous load time is when I change render modes and then restart the game. Menu into game takes like 20-30s on my system.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Is there a mod that lets you sell damaged weapons to the trader? You would think he would be willing to buy weapons that only needed a little work, or even for the parts that do work. Having said that I just got the third detector and have around 80k worth of artifacts from one trip.

pestul

I gave up on optimizing and just overclocked the video card. It runs nicely in DX11 with everything at highest now.

Probably been asked before. But regarding the atmosfear mod, how do I both use the mod and CoP's standard config? Any editing that needs to be done?

Beaten it, really enjoyed it, especially the first half of the game. Where everything was still so fresh and unpredictable. I had hoped it was a bit scarier overall, but there were still so many great, unexpected, mostly unscripted moments that had me glued to my screen.

Also Kotaku just posted their review of it but it's a bit overly harsh I think :/

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Kotaku can eat a dick. If you even passingly give faint praise to previous STALKERs for being open worlds, then you missed the goddamn point of STALKER. This isn't MW2.

Also, this is probably a very stupid question, but can you download DX11? I do not understand Direct X whatsoever.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone else just go to sleep as soon as it gets dark? :lol I didn't realize the time and ended up wondering around Jupiter Plant in the pitch black
2r6jva9.png

Scipius

WanderingWind said:
Also, this is probably a very stupid question, but can you download DX11? I do not understand Direct X whatsoever.

You can, but unless you have the hardware needed for the effects introduced by it (i.e. the latest ATI cards), you're not going to see an improvement. Just stick with 9 or 10 otherwise.

Ikuu said:
Anyone else just go to sleep as soon as it gets dark? I didn't realize the time and ended up wondering around Jupiter Plant in the pitch black

Playing STALKER at night is part of why many people love it. Plus the engine can show off some of its lighting tricks at night. You can use nightvision to make it a bit less tense.

TheExodu5

Banned
Quests are really more involved now. Far more interesting than in the first game.

Ana damn, I shouldn't have judged the visuals too quickly. The game looks absolutely gorgeous at times. The swamp in the rain (especially at night) is so incredibly. This is definitely one of, if not the most, immersive games I've played.

TheExodu5 said:
Quests are really more involved now. Far more interesting than in the first game.
I dislike the out-of-body cut-scenes though, hopefully they'll abandon that for the next one.

First one didn't have those, did it?

JADS

Danne-Danger said:
I dislike the out-of-body cut-scenes though, hopefully they'll abandon that for the next one.

There was one in the Wild Territory with Wolfhounds assault on Kruglov

JoeMartin

Another fuck awesome mod to keep your eye on is L.U.R.K., a serious overhaul of ShoC.

They've got a lot of the talent behind the Complete mod lending hands, and building on top of it the team basically retooled the entire graphics engine, bringing in all the newest stuff from the newer versions of the xRay engine and modifying it to be awesome (with post-processing effects and all), retooled all of the AI, added a great deal of new weapons while remodeling and reskinning all of the existing weapons (and they look and sound great, and animate even better, the guy they having doing the gun work is some kind of talented).

It's in beta right now (which you can download and play around with, mismatch of features, particularly graphical things as not everything is in the beta releases), but the official release of the finished product should be sometime soon.

VIDEO HERE.

mikeGFG

Banned
Danne-Danger said:

A bunch of zombies mauled me to death IN A CUTSCENE once. I definitely raged a little bit.

TheExodu5

Banned
GiantBomb did an interesting Quick Look on the game.

Brad though...he keeps commenting on how the game is ugly. Shaking my head at that one. Guess every game needs IQ destroying bloom and depth of field out of the anus to satisfy some console gamers.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
TheExodu5 said:
GiantBomb did an interesting Quick Look on the game.

Brad though...he keeps commenting on how the game is ugly. Shaking my head at that one. Guess every game needs IQ destroying bloom and depth of field out of the anus to satisfy some console gamers.
Dave did say it was on medium or low settings though.

Top Bottom