• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat |OT|

K.Jack said:
- Can my guns actually kill from range in this one? SoC was terrible in that regard.
Expect about the same, but I don't really understand that as a complaint. As soon as you scope a gun your accuracy becomes deadly in SoC and CoP.

Damn Che those mods makes it look like your playing a different game then me =D. Neeed to install mods make game look purrty. Is there a mod to change to FOV to make it more widescreen like.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So while I'm downloading..

What's the consensus on going vanilla vs jumping straight to the mods?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Just had an intense session just now where it was pretty much night time and lightning storms for hours. I am so impressed with the lighting and ambience in this game.

I took a bunch of night screens. Some of the super bright blown out screens are lightning flashes going off mid-action. Really impressive. Obviously when you see it in motion with headphones on and lights turned off, this game is downright SCARY.

I'll resize my screens this time but you'll get the idea. 1920x1200, 8xAA, maxed out.

35apxzl.jpg

2mq5d34.jpg

2gy16hv.jpg

20fw2on.jpg

2da0h7k.jpg

34oczmb.jpg

zxs411.jpg

iy3kmh.jpg

jpyp3k.jpg

BeeDog

Can you explore the interiors in all of the buildings (or the buildings that you guys show off in your screenshots)?

Zenith

Banned
Cat in the Hat said:
Does exploring/doing quests reward you well this time?

Yes. Gone are the periods where you spend the first few hours with an MP5 and Sawn-off going only up against bandits. You can get your first 5.56 rifle and sniper rifle in the first few seconds if you so wish.

- Can my guns actually kill from range in this one? SoC was terrible in that regard.

with consistent accuracy, only the advanced ARs like the G36 and FN2000. Lesser guns you can snipe until the random bullet spread finally connects with their head.

This may be a really silly question but how do you guys take those screenshots? I tried the printscreen button but it does nothing, tried fiddling around with screenshot commands in the console but no luck there either.

In any case I got the Atmosfear mod to work and everything looks so much better now, I love the sunbeams breaking through the windows, etc.

TranceKuja said:
This may be a really silly question but how do you guys take those screenshots? I tried the printscreen button but it does nothing, tried fiddling around with screenshot commands in the console but no luck there either.

In any case I got the Atmosfear mod to work and everything looks so much better now, I love the sunbeams breaking through the windows, etc.

F12 (saves them in the Public User Documents folder).

kamspy

Will the weapon damage add-on that released alongside Complete 2009 work with this game?

Simply love that ballistics system. Reminds me of a tamer swat4.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, still no luck finding out why CoP looks and plays like ass, but thanks to Stalker Complete 2009, I'm really loving SoC right now.

At this rate, I'll be able to play SoC in 2012! :lol

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone else having issues with the game dying when you quicksave/try and access the menu, also seems to have effected the load times. I've got task manager running on another window and when I try and quicksave or go to the menu it'll say Not Responding and after 10-20 seconds it'll go back to Running and the game behaves fine.

Tried everything I can think of, disabling various ATi stuff, closing programs and nothing seems to solve it.

Zenith

Banned
one thing I like about this game is that it's reversed a very common gaming scenario. All the time in games you get faceless goons coming up to you saying "you have something of ours" or "gimme your shiny boots". In STALKER it's you doing it. You spy someone across the bar with something you like, you track them a suitable distance away, kill them and steal their stuff.

the first artifact mission also teaches a very important lesson. There's no bullshit contrived morality system where choosing the "good" decision magically results in you getting even more stuff. It works exactly like it does in the real world, with people trying to rip you off.

In fact I'd argue it's the first real morality system. The only thing you'll gain from the good choice is moral satisfaction, you won't be showered in gifts and you may get a few more "Hey, Stalker" in the bars but no one's going to be worshipping you.

Sucks that travelling between zones costs so much. I gave the scientists the 3 detectors and now I have to go back to Owl just to say "I did it" in order to carry on the quest and I just fucking came from there. 1000 roubles is like 2-3 weapon upgrades. Can't be arsed to do any more of Beard's artifact hunts.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ikuu said:
Anyone else having issues with the game dying when you quicksave/try and access the menu, also seems to have effected the load times. I've got task manager running on another window and when I try and quicksave or go to the menu it'll say Not Responding and after 10-20 seconds it'll go back to Running and the game behaves fine.

Tried everything I can think of, disabling various ATi stuff, closing programs and nothing seems to solve it.

ME TOO!

Thank god it's not just me. Yes, I have this problem. No idea how to fix it.

Ikuu

Also anyone having a 'cannot open script' error when trying to install Atmosfear?

Zeliard

Can't wait till I get the sniper rifle from that one guy who you can have get you various weaps. 20k, though, plus I think I paid him 2k extra up front as an advance. That's a pretty big amount for early in the game.

Ikuu said:
Also anyone having a 'cannot open script' error when trying to install Atmosfear?

Yes, I had this. Whatever I did, it just wouldn't load the file. What I did to fix this was to open user.tlx and user_atmosfear.tlx, and manually changed the values in user.tlx to match the ones in user_atmosfear_tlx. Saved user.tlx with those new values and everything worked. It's a bit of a hassle though, make sure to backup user.tlx just in case.

Calantus

I just got this game, i played the first, a little but not a lot. Should i go vanilla or mods?

I usually don't do second play through of games, do mods change the game very significantly? and if so, for better or for worse?

Kholdstare

Zeliard said:
Can't wait till I get the sniper rifle from that one guy who you can have get you various weaps. 20k, though, plus I think I paid him 2k extra up front as an advance. That's a pretty big amount for early in the game.

Don't make the same mistake I made.

Make sure you have access to the ammo before you drop the money.

Druz

Ikuu said:

Are you on Windows 7? Happens to me too but the only thing we'd have in common is the operating system. Game works perfect on a computer I built a year ago just not on my new 7 machine. Framerate is fantastic when its not hitching during those times(also happens during an emission)

epmode

WanderingWind said:
Alright. One problem down. Now...how to fix the framerate. What setting is harshest on that?
SSAO by far, for me. I disabled it and the framerate jumped considerably. Still looks very good without it.

Ikuu

Druz said:
Are you on Windows 7? Happens to me too but the only thing we'd have in common is the operating system. Game works perfect on a computer I built a year ago just not on my new 7 machine. Framerate is fantastic when its not hitching during those times(also happens during an emission)
Yup, Windows 7 64bit. Loving the game, just dread saving and accidentally hitting escape.

Linkzg said:
Does anyone know if the Steam deal will end anytime soon? I want to take advantage of the $20 deal, just can't do it today.

A Valve employee said its not a time limited deal and will be available until the publisher says otherwise (which shouldn't happen).

WTF are you doing with 29 health packs? :lol

Is this quick-access new in CoP or is it part of one of those mods?

Yesterday I played a bit Clear Sky and after an hour or something I got spinning polygons and stuff all over the screen :/ The game is killing my graphics card lol.

Ikuu

Reinstalled CoP to another HD and it seems to work fine now, no idea if something went wrong during install or maybe my other HDD just needs a defrag.

Not sure if this has been linked before, but lets you set the FOV. And a no intro mod.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just want to remind people what we can expect from mods in the future.

Pics from the first game with Complete 2009.

Sun:
sun.png

Rain:
rain.png

And my favorite, night time (with a flashlight):
night.png

Caesar III said:
WTF are you doing with 29 health packs? :lol

Better safe than sorry. Who know what horrors await me in those tunnels! Also because I can chug 150 kg with me instead of the standard 50. Which actually makes the game way too easy so I'm considering going back to the standard 50 kg.

And yes quick access is a part of standard CoP.

Just got myself a fairly decent gaming PC over the past month. So far I've done Mass Effect 1 and 2 and a big chunk of Dragon Age. Think I need a break from Bioware for a while...

Back when I heard about the first Stalker game it always sounded interesting to me. I like games that have a bleak tone, and where every encounter has a bit of weight and measure to it. I also really like shooters with more of a deliberate pace.

So I think I want to give Stalker a try. I'm tempted to buy the third one- sounds like it's the most stable of the three. What's the PC GAF consensus on which one's best to start with?

Dennis

Banned
Stalker fans, start looking forward to Clear Sky Complete by artistpavel, the man behind the Complete 2009 mod for Shadow of Chernobyl .

STALKER: Clear Sky Complete, 4xAA, All settings max, DX10.1

Wilhelm

Neo Member
So I think I want to give Stalker a try. I'm tempted to buy the third one- sounds like it's the most stable of the three. What's the PC GAF consensus on which one's best to start with?

If you have patience and like steam: wait for another steam action on SoC or CS. Because when you own one of these on steam, you get a 10 dollar/euro discount on CoP. SoC was available for 2 dollars during the christmas sale.

If you dont have patience, I'd pick up SoC and download the 2009 complete mod.

Ikuu

Noticed he posted some of the features the other day:
* The Wish Granter - a hidden interface designed to let you enable vehicles, control weather, place anomalies, characters, mutants and much more on the map and build the game around your preferences, activated via ESC+F1 keypress shortcut.
* Join Factions - ability to reset player's status and join factions at anytime.
* Sleeping Bag - allows the player sleep in game, this version features an advanced safety level indicator.
* Gnomus' Scopes - a scope system similar to one used in most modern FPS.
* Elite Nightvision - improved black & white nightvision.
* Teleport - lets you jump between points in the environment with ability to save custom coordinates for further use.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Somebody help me with the atmosphere mod please!

I'm doing what the readme says in the console, but typing in the directory seems impossible for me, because somehow Stalker thinks this is configured as another country keyboard or something, and when i go for the ":" it gives me anything but. The keys are all over the place...but i can't find the :

eXistor

My rig is definitely starting to show it's age, but I still get very solid framerates at 1920x1080 and most settings maxed. No AA and sunrays though. Amazing game, so much better than Clear Sky, which I still liked btw. It's clearly time for STALKER 2, but this will do nicely thank you very much. Only the cheesy-ass voiceovers ruin the atmosphere sometimes.

Top Bottom