• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat |OT|

Dennis

Banned
eXistor said:
My rig is definitely starting to show it's age, but I still get very solid framerates at 1920x1080 and most settings maxed. No AA and sunrays though. Amazing game, so much better than Clear Sky, which I still liked btw. It's clearly time for STALKER 2, but this will do nicely thank you very much. Only the cheesy-ass voiceovers ruin the atmosphere sometimes.
I cannot begin to descibe how excited I am for STALKER 2 - the visual upgrade alone....*drool*

Crysis 2
STALKER 2
Mafia 2
The Witcher 2

Sometimes sequels are ok...

Wilhelm

Neo Member
Whoompthereitis said:
Is there a continuous story arc between the three games?

Why do people suggest starting with the first one?

Call of Pripyat starts where Shadow of Chernobyl ends. Clear Sky is set 'one year prior to the events of' Shadow of Chernobyl.

Dennis

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
How did you get transparency AA working? I tried to get it working for my shots but it wouldn't happen. Does Clear Sky support it proper?
With the 1.5.10 patch, if Antialiasing is enabled in Enhanced Full Dynamic Lighting DX10 mode, you can also access the "Antialias A-tested objects" option to also apply the AA to the transparent objects, foliage etc.

You can use either DirectX 10 or DirectX 10.1 style AA on alpha-tested objects for transparency AA.

BeeDog

Fuck I'm weak; ordered the game (the Special Edition with some additional crap in the box) for 20€. :D Anyway, I hope someone can answer this, puhleez:

BeeDog said:
Can you explore the interiors in all of the buildings (or the buildings that you guys show off in your screenshots)?

Haeleos

BeeDog said:
Fuck I'm weak; ordered the game (the Special Edition with some additional crap in the box) for 20€. :D Anyway, I hope someone can answer this, puhleez:

I remember reading somewhere (I think it was the Rock Paper Shotgun article) that you couldn't explore all the buildings. But hopefully someone who has the game will respond because I'm still playing through the first one.

Dennis

Banned
BeeDog said:
Can you explore the interiors in all of the buildings (or the buildings that you guys show off in your screenshots)?
Some buildings and structures can be explored yes, but not all. Congrats on your purchase - it is 10/10 game for me.

BeeDog said:

Pretty sure alot of the buildings you come across you can enter in some sort of fashion, or theres something about them that has some use (artifacts, stash etc). In Pripyat you can go inside alot of the apartments but most just have shut doors etc.

Man, I just had such an awesome scenario.

I was in the middle of a huge firefight around the hospital, bullets flying everywhere, crazyness, when suddenly 'attention all stalkers, an emission is about to hit!'. So I ran inside the hospital underneath some old staircase for cover, and then I noticed something. The gunfire completely stopped. Like everyone was waiting for the storm to hit. It was such a peaceful moment... until after the storm, it was still very quiet and the rain started to fall (I love the rain after an emission), and slowly but surely the gunfire continued. I have no idea if it was scripted or not, but it was so awesome.

Nothing like hiding in an abandoned hospital in the middle of a storm. Kinda dark though:

ss_randolf_02-15-10_20ifh1.jpg

TranceKuja said:
Man, I just had such an awesome scenario.

I was in the middle of a huge firefight around the hospital, bullets flying everywhere, crazyness, when suddenly 'attention all stalkers, an emission is about to hit!'. So I ran inside the hospital underneath some old staircase for cover, and then I noticed something. The gunfire completely stopped. Like everyone was waiting for the storm to hit. It was such a peaceful moment... until after the storm, it was still very quiet and the rain started to fall (I love the rain after an emission), and slowly but surely the gunfire continued. I have no idea if it was scripted or not, but it was so awesome.

Nothing like hiding in an abandoned hospital in the middle of a storm. Kinda dark though:
The fight
for the rail gun in pripyat?

Zenith

Banned
I like how people caught outside in an Emission get resurrected as zombies. Only happened after I installed the AtmosFear mod. Is that part of it?

Not all buildings. Any buildings circled on the map you can, and they're pretty evenly distributed, like 4 x 4 per segment.

TranceKuja said:
Yeah, exactly that one, tons of fun. I don't really like how everything is a lot less free roaming now though :/

In Pripyat ? Dunno about that, i still found plenty of interesting hidden stuff :D Following the story though, yeah, gets quite linear.

Ogs said:
In Pripyat ? Dunno about that, i still found plenty of interesting hidden stuff :D Following the story though, yeah, gets quite linear.

Yeah, the feeling is completely different from the beginning I think. I'm still really enjoying it though, it's just that the overall atmosphere is way less 'dangerous'.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Fantastic time with Stalker:COP last night.

I decided to put in an order with Nimble (the guy sitting upstairs in the stalker camp in the ship) for some body armor and he told me it was going to cost 32,000 credits.

Seeing as it'd take forever to scrounge up those credits, I decided to do something I did back in the original SOC.

One evening, I found a large population of stalker zombies (the ones that shoot you, albeit very inaccurately) and took my time cleaning them out. As soon as I did so, a nearby group of bandits moved in and tried to steal the zombie's gear. So I took out the bandits in the dark of night (really intense with nothing but flashlights) and put everything into a corpse (30+ guns) and dragged that corpse back to the ship.

Made 32k RU in 1 trip. The Clear Sky armor is mine. :D

The AI in this game is also fantastic. I've seen bandits turn off their head lamps in order to stay stealthy, and then turn it back on when they need to shoot me. I've been flanked many times. And I've also flanked AI and they'd have NO IDEA where I was.

Really great firefights here.

TheExodu5

Banned
My friend wants to play Clear Sky first. I'm insisting that he should wait for the Complete mod of the game and play Pripyat now instead (he's already purchased it). Will he be missing anything by not playing Clear Sky first?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Such an awesome game. I wish I had known about that "drag a loaded corpse" trick you just mentioned Che. I went to the Sawmill looking for some tools (found 'em), and I had to gun down like 30+ of those stalker zombies. Had guns and gear coming out of my ass. I loaded up what I could and struggled back to the boat to sell. Got me up to around 22k credits. Went back, nothing there but a regular stalker who attacked me on site, he was loaded down with a ton of stuff he'd looted from the bodies I left.

Question: It says "shift+F" to drag a corpse, but when I try this it just opens the corpse's inventory... what am I missing?

Oh, and I installed SMRTER+Atmosfear and it's sooo much better! But brutally hard.

TheExodu5

Banned
Is there a mod or ini setting that makes it so that bushes are drawn further in the world? They pop-in way too close to me.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
chespace said:
Fantastic time with Stalker:COP last night.

I decided to put in an order with Nimble (the guy sitting upstairs in the stalker camp in the ship) for some body armor and he told me it was going to cost 32,000 credits.

Seeing as it'd take forever to scrounge up those credits, I decided to do something I did back in the original SOC.

One evening, I found a large population of stalker zombies (the ones that shoot you, albeit very inaccurately) and took my time cleaning them out. As soon as I did so, a nearby group of bandits moved in and tried to steal the zombie's gear. So I took out the bandits in the dark of night (really intense with nothing but flashlights) and put everything into a corpse (30+ guns) and dragged that corpse back to the ship.

Made 32k RU in 1 trip. The Clear Sky armor is mine. :D

The AI in this game is also fantastic. I've seen bandits turn off their head lamps in order to stay stealthy, and then turn it back on when they need to shoot me. I've been flanked many times. And I've also flanked AI and they'd have NO IDEA where I was.

Hah. That's really clever.

chespace

Diseased Yak said:
Such an awesome game. I wish I had known about that "drag a loaded corpse" trick you just mentioned Che. I went to the Sawmill looking for some tools (found 'em), and I had to gun down like 30+ of those stalker zombies. Had guns and gear coming out of my ass. I loaded up what I could and struggled back to the boat to sell. Got me up to around 22k credits. Went back, nothing there but a regular stalker who attacked me on site, he was loaded down with a ton of stuff he'd looted from the bodies I left.

Question: It says "shift+F" to drag a corpse, but when I try this it just opens the corpse's inventory... what am I missing?

Oh, and I installed SMRTER+Atmosfear and it's sooo much better! But brutally hard.

Yup, I'm playing with SMRTER and Atmosfear. Makes this GOTY material rather than just another quirky low-budget Eastern Euro shooter.

When you want to shift+F drag a body, you should type shift+F twice real quick. If you do it once, it'll just open the inventory menu. If you do it twice, you should see yourself pick up the body. Also, you need to be patient. It's hard to drag a corpse across the map because when the body gets caught on objects or terrain geometry, it falls out of your hands and you have to run back and grab it again. Don't leave it there for too long because random bandits and stalkers will come steal your shit. Also, watch out for blowouts. After a blowout, my body disappeared and it disappeared in a bunch of my recent saves too. :( So save often when you do this and be patient. The payoff is HUGE!

I was messing around with this last night... I went into a cave only to be attack by what a thought were monsters...
RADIATED PEOPLE ACTING LIKE BEASTS!

I love this series.

Agnates

Banned
I'm trying to install atmosfear but it just makes the game hang. I put the gamedata folder in the main STALKER directory, and changed in that config file the line that has to have two "true" in it (it already had one, yeah?), I start the game and it just hangs. Atmosfear 1.2, game version to whatever Steam has it at.

John

These are some great stories in here. Can't wait to get it.

Quick question about the beginning of the original Stalker -- where can I buy and sell stuff? I need a medpack for Fox but I already gave it to some other dude.

John said:
Quick question about the beginning of the original Stalker -- where can I buy and sell stuff? I need a medpack for Fox but I already gave it to some other dude.
The guy in the first bunker. Otherwise a lot of random stalkers could have a medpack if you trade with them.

chespace said:

Yeah, it's great that the AI isn't magically aware where you are.

I did this one mission where a bunch of guys spawned in a multi-story building after I grabbed the objective. I had to fight the ones on the same floor as me, but I could see that there were more in the area thanks to the "stalker counter" in the top left. So I dropped out a window, snuck back into the building (with NV on) where I found the rest of the guys looking towards the spot where they last heard me (the firefight) with their backs turned. Such a great feeling to get the drop on the AI like that.

John

I... is there a "trade" button or something? Whenever I talk to people my only options are "Tell me something new" or "See ya!"

John said:
I... is there a "trade" button or something? Whenever I talk to people my only options are "Tell me something new" or "See ya!"

If the guy has stuff to trade, yeah a button will appear at the bottom, otherwise no :)

TranceKuja said:
Yeah, exactly that one, tons of fun. I don't really like how everything is a lot less free roaming now though :/
Yeah, then that emission must be scripted, exactly the same thing happened to me.

Edit: I love the feel of fully upgraded guns, my fully upgraded assault rife works great as a sniper.

Before:
3BasM.jpg

After:
y2QcH.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hey, Dennis, mind posting a list of everything you got running on your version, mod wise? I'd like to get mine looking as good as yours. In return, I can either tell you how to kill a man from 500 yards, or cook a wicked creme brulee. :D

Fallout-NL said:
What do the SMRTR and Atmosfear mods do? And why are they available already? COP isnt out that long right?
It's been out in Russia for a while now.

AtmosFear tweaks a bunch of settings that affects the look of the game. DoF, colours, things like that.

SMRTR seems to take away the "level list" or something for enemies and items, enemies will have better gear earlier in the game and such. I think, I haven't used it myself.

Arcipello

id like to play this game, but for some reason it stutters like crazy! cant really understand why since it looks rather ugly. 2.6 duo core, 8800GTX, 2 gigs of ram.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm finding one thing very annoying: sometime the game just fails to start. I need to force shutdown the process and keep trying until it starts.

edit: might be an issue with FRAPS. I closed it and it worked.

Took some FOV comparison screenshots:

Default (55 FOV):
fov55.png

What I use (75 FOV):
fov75.png

Dennis

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I'm finding one thing very annoying: sometime the game just fails to start. I need to force shutdown the process and keep trying until it starts.

edit: might be an issue with FRAPS. I closed it and it worked.
It is FRAPS, yes.

Do NOT load FRAPS before strating the game. Rather, start the game, Alt-Tab out and load FRAPS, then Alt-Tab back into the game. Works every time.

chespace

I run fraps in my stalker (loads on bootup of PC) and I have no issues. Weird.

Atmosfear makes the game look better. More diverse weather, better god rays and sun drenched environments, etc.

SMRTER does a bunch of things. Makes the combat more brutal but the weapons feel better and the enemies are smarter. Also adds lots more wild life and enemy spawns in the zone so it really is a pretty tense experience at night. :)

@exodus5 -- yeah I'm also finding AA to basically not work at all in Catalyst. I can use in-game shader AA (called super sampling) but at 4X, there seems to be quite a hit to performance on my 4870x2 with everything maxed out. At 2X, I get decent framerates (45-60), but I can't seem to force AA with Catalyst. I've tried just about everything, including renaming this thing to UT3.exe and crysis.exe. :lol

Oh well.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
DennisK4 said:
It is FRAPS, yes.

Do NOT load FRAPS before strating the game. Rather, start the game, Alt-Tab out and load FRAPS, then Alt-Tab back into the game. Works every time.
FRAPS has never caused any issues for me in CoP, I believe the game has an issue with Xfire or so I've heard. The game doesn't even start for me unless I run it as Admin. :lol

Just got my Clear Sky suit and now I'm poor again :(

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and FRAPS 64-bit. I'm guessing you guys are running 32-bit. Or perhaps it's the combination of FRAPS + Steam Overlay.

Is it just me or is Clear Sky a damn hard game even vanilla? I started with veteran and I can barely use any health kit or anything because I can only take one hit to die :lol

I'm at the beginning of the game where you have to go to the village of Stalker CoC through the military base. The moment I step out of that tunnel I'm dead. And I cannot do anything because my weapons so far are not long ranged at all :(

So I tried using the other way out of the swamp and that turned out to work. But WTF! I can barely kill those military guys. And if I kill them, they only drop 7 bullets? WTF?

Is Call of Pripyat as open worlded as Clear Sky or is it more story driven again? I don't want to buy it as long as I'm not finished with Clear Sky but I want to know anyway :D

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Caesar III said:
Is it just me or is Clear Sky a damn hard game even vanilla? I started with veteran and I can barely use any health kit or anything because I can only take one hit to die :lol

I'm at the beginning of the game where you have to go to the village of Stalker CoC through the military base. The moment I step out of that tunnel I'm dead. And I cannot do anything because my weapons so far are not long ranged at all :(

So I tried using the other way out of the swamp and that turned out to work. But WTF! I can barely kill those military guys. And if I kill them, they only drop 7 bullets? WTF?

Is Call of Pripyat as open worlded as Clear Sky or is it more story driven again? I don't want to buy it as long as I'm not finished with Clear Sky but I want to know anyway :D

As I mentioned a lot earlier in the thread, Clear Sky's difficulty is just pure unbridled bullshit. It's not even fun and it only gets worse. I love Stalker so much I still forced myself to finish it. CoP has a much more balanced and enjoyable difficulty and is generally more open-ended than than CS, all three of it's maps are at least as big or bigger than the CS swamp, but plotwise it's pretty linear. There is no faction combat in CoP, which is probably a good thing because it was totally broken in CS.

Dennis

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and FRAPS 64-bit. I'm guessing you guys are running 32-bit. Or perhaps it's the combination of FRAPS + Steam Overlay.
That is it, I think. I had the same problem with FRAPS you did and I am on 64-bit Windows and 64-bit FRAPS.

Dennis

Banned
Caesar III said:
The Clear Sky Complete mod fixes the NPC grenade spam....that is something at least :lol

I have high hopes the Complete mod will make Clear Sky the game it should have been.

Caesar III said:

That military machine gun bit was quite probably the stupidist shit ive ever seen. Run from it ? If you get hit you stop running. Sneak your way through a night ? Nope they can still see you. Duck n cover you way through using the rocks n tree's ? Nope, bullet penetration see's to that. Such a terrible terrible part.

There was a second entrance into the Cordon, which most people probably wouldnt even know about unless they asked about this bit on a forum. Damn that silly bit.... :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to use cfg_load in game to load the atmosfear settings. There is no CoP folder in My Documents this time around so I couldn't place it there. Tried typing out the full path and it doesn't work either.

Anyone have an idea?

edit: tried putting it in _app_data_, where the backup cfg is saved when you do cfg_save. I can load the backed up ltx file, but not the atmosfear one...wtf.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Didn't work for me either, I just opened the user.ltx (in C:\Users\Public\Documents\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat) and the atmosfear.ltx in Notepad++ and used the Compare function to see the differences and manually changed them.

Ogs said:
That military machine gun bit was quite probably the stupidist shit ive ever seen. Run from it ? If you get hit you stop running. Sneak your way through a night ? Nope they can still see you. Duck n cover you way through using the rocks n tree's ? Nope, bullet penetration see's to that. Such a terrible terrible part.
Ok, then it's not just me. Now I feel better or something :D
There was a second entrance into the Cordon, which most people probably wouldnt even know about unless they asked about this bit on a forum. Damn that silly bit.... :lol
Like I wrote before I did exactly this :D Without reading about it. (Man, I'm good <3) But after arriving the village I wanted to dry out this military camp anyway. It was the first thing I did starting CoC everytime but this time it's a pain in the ass.

So I should wait for the complete mod. Fine, that'll do. Thx guys :)

Dennis

Banned
Guys, I posted a short 23 second 1080p video clip on YouTube from one of the areas I took the below screenshot from. It is with the AtmosFear 1.2 mod.
I would appreciate if someone could go take a look see (in 1080p HD) and give me some feedback on the visual quality of the video.

YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY2SRCgz0y4

TheExodu5

Banned
Got it working...fooled the game by saving to user_atmosfear.ltx, and then overwriting it before loading.

edit: ugh...good thing I backed up the default config. The Atmosfear config is god awful. The bloom and depth of field makes me want to tear my eyes out.

TheExodu5

Banned
DennisK4 said:

Quality-wise, it's great. However, the framerate is really bad, so you wouldn't really want to show any action with that.

edit: alright, to anyone that wants to use atmosfear -> USE THE DEFAULT CONFIG. DO NOT USE THE ATMOSFEAR CONFIG. I don't know what the mod maker was thinking, tbh. The regular version ruins all the IQ with bloom (looks like friggin GRID). The no_bloom version is way too dark. The default STALKER CoP settings are quite good.

Top Bottom