• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat |OT|

Ogs said:
I never really gave the mods a go either, only recently did i try the Complete mod, and thought "yeah pretty neat" but was still pretty much the same game. Whatever you prefer tbh :)

Agreed. I'm replaying SoC with Complete, and I'm not seeing all these 'amazing' things it supposedly does to the base game. It's darker at night, sure, but other than that...

Scipius

hamchan said:
Isn't this game gonna come out very soon? I haven't heard much hype.

A PC-exclusive Ukrainian-developed game, not matter how good it is, is not going to get much attention in American media, and only modestly more in Western European media. NeoGAF too: for Clear Sky, the review thread became the official thread. For CoP it looks like the announcement thread (this one) will be the official one.

Anyway, yes, it will be out very soon in English-speaking territories; early February.

hamchan

I thought the first STALKER received a reasonable amount of hype from the community but I guess I'm remembering wrong.

Another question, is the game on steam? I can't see it from the Australian store but that could just be a regional thing. I'd prefer to own the whole series on steam.

yeah, you can expect it to appear on steam. seems likely it will just pop up on the download sites on the day of release without any fanfare

Scipius said:
Anyway, yes, it will be out very soon in English-speaking territories; early February.
hehe not only early february, the american releasedate is feb 2 and the european feb 5.

Scipius

hamchan said:
I thought the first STALKER received a reasonable amount of hype from the community but I guess I'm remembering wrong.

More than the pro- and epilogue have had, that's true, but it had built its vapourish reputation over multiple years. It was first announced back in 2001; gaming has changed quite a bit since then.

hamchan said:
Another question, is the game on steam? I can't see it from the Australian store but that could just be a regional thing. I'd prefer to own the whole series on steam.

It should be eventually, but nothing so far. Not even in the coming soon section, but that's perhaps due to the lack of "hype".

Binabik15

Wow, it´s only 17.73 @ thehut, I thought it was already out with a price like that.

I always wanted to try a Stalker game, but never had a beefy rig. I think I´ll wait a bit to see if it´s buggy and then get it when it´s (fan?) patched. If it´s stable, I´ll buy.

Dennis

Banned
Binabik15 said:
Wow, it´s only 17.73 @ thehut, I thought it was already out with a price like that.

I always wanted to try a Stalker game, but never had a beefy rig. I think I´ll wait a bit to see if it´s buggy and then get it when it´s (fan?) patched. If it´s stable, I´ll buy.
You should get the first STALKER game. I am sure you can find it for very cheap. Use the Complete 2009 mod if you do get the game.

The first STALKER is a modern classic and will be remembered as such.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Seems a shame, there's no hype. Since i'm hearing from impressions. (based on the russian version) that this is one of the better S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, and way better then clear sky.

Scipius

Ogs said:
So this is out at the end of the week in the UK apparently, my pre-orders in.... who else ?

Me too, first time I've pre-ordered a game. Normally a waste of money, but the Special Edition is nowhere to be found in the Netherlands. If I have to have it shipped cross-border anyway, might as well do it early.

I hope that OST contains the dark ambient tracks from the first game as well.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I like the fact that other humans aren't totally murder-happy this time around. Looks like they've learned a lot of lessons from clear sky.

coopolon

Any news on stability? After feeling really burned on the first game (I got close to beating it twice a year or so apart and both times it just bugged out and my saves became unuseable) that I'm not willing to buy this game until I'm convinced it's much more stable then the first one.

But it makes me sad, because I loved the first game. I just refuse to pay money for a broken game. I'll probably end up waiting a year or two (although again, the first one didn't work for me a good 3 years after release.)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Is it broken?

Amazingly the answer, this time, is no. That's not to say it's completely flawless - I experienced a couple of crashes to the desktop, and co-ordinating anything with the slightly clumsy AI actions can still be a grind. But essentially the experience is bug-free.

From eurogamer

Resolution Magazine:

So when developers GSC Game World decide to make a Stalker game entirely centred around Pripyat, it’s an exciting prospect - even though their previous effort, the somewhat lacklustre Clear Sky, was a largely disappointing and broken experience. It’s a shame, then, that Pripyat itself is easily the least interesting section of this third Stalker title, spoiled by a repetitive mission structure and a lack of memorable characters. Fortunately, its relative tedium is the exception, as what precedes it as an impressive return to form for the Ukranian developer.
The result, impressively, is a Zone that feels more alive than ever. Stalker’s A-Life system, which populates the world with realistic AI, has been enormously foregrounded. Any considerable walk through the wilderness now gives way to the most extraordinary sights.
The revised level structure works splendidly. Instead of a series of smaller levels designed to give the impression of openness, Call of Pripyat really is open.
As expected, Call of Pripyat’s story is a functional one - it’s the world itself that holds your interest, rather than the tale that plays out within it. Indeed, it’s a good ten hours before much of anything happens in the thrust of the main missions. Until then, it’s an almost purely exploratory game, with different narrative threads hinted at but very little overtly revealed.
Call of Pripyat’s final third may disappoint, the engine might be showing its age, and the odd bug might still rear its head. But it’s undeniably Stalker - and its astonishing world is constructed with more elegance and attention to detail than ever before.

Overall 8/10. Definitely sounds promising, at least better than Clear Sky.

What a contradicting review. It disappoints but it also satisfies? And since when did Stalker ever have interesting characters? It's about the atmosphere.

Dennis

Banned
So a mainstream review site gave it a 8/10 score ?

Then, judging from how the first STALKER game was received, I am guessing this will be a 11/10 for me :lol

Kritz

Banned
Man, it's been a while since I've Gotten Out of Here, STALKER. I wasn't totally thrilled with what Clear Sky was, and I feel like I've left it long enough that by the time I remember this game is out, I'll be all for it.

Zyzyxxz

luka

Loves Robotech S1
3 super huge zones sounds fantastic and probably helps make the global AI that much more prevalent and awesome. I absolutely can't wait for this now.

TheExodu5

Banned
sparky2112 said:
Agreed. I'm replaying SoC with Complete, and I'm not seeing all these 'amazing' things it supposedly does to the base game. It's darker at night, sure, but other than that...

The weapons are much better balanced in Complete. The game looks tons better. The game also runs much better. Greatly enhanced the experience for me.

TheExodu5 said:
The weapons are much better balanced in Complete. The game looks tons better. The game also runs much better. Greatly enhanced the experience for me.

Yeah, I'm sure if I saw before/after comparisons, it'd be obvious. And I switched machines between playing vanilla (at launch) and now (obviously), so performance this time around isn't even an issue (8800GT). It also seems like there are more creature-types in Complete, and am I drunk or have I completely forgotten that there are zombies in the game? I seriously don't remember that...

Zenith

Banned
coopolon said:
Wow, that is really awesome, I hope this is the experience of other reviewers as well, caues I'd definitely get it once I finish ME2.

CTD errors and borked AI is awesome?

I really hope I can fast travel for free this time. I'm playing Clearsky now and I've been hauling 100+Kgs of loot around holding out for a vendor, but I haven't found anyone north of the redforest and I really don't want to trek back or shell out the money.

Truant

Clear Sky was pretty bad except for the Red Forest. Man that level was so scary at night. Had to take a break and wait for the game to turn to daytime. Took a long hour, too.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
So where the hell can I buy this thing? There isn't a single store in my part of Canada that even has a listing for the game. Is this what it's come to for pc-exclusive releases?

Dennis

Banned
I suppose this isn' really the correct thread, but anyhoo:

artistpavel, the man behind the mod compilation STALKER Complete 2009 is doing something similar for Clear Sky.

Link: http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/

Complete 2009 was absolutely fantastic, made STALKER one of my all-time favorite games, so I have high hopes for this.

Perhaps finally Clear Sky will be the game we deserved in the first place.

Doytch

luka said:
So where the hell can I buy this thing? There isn't a single store in my part of Canada that even has a listing for the game. Is this what it's come to for pc-exclusive releases?
THQ's majorly dropped the ball on this. Nothing on Steam, and I can only find a listing for it on Amazon.com. If it didn't get good hype from GAFers and Euro reviews I'd think they were trying to hide it.

Doytch said:
THQ's majorly dropped the ball on this. Nothing on Steam, and I can only find a listing for it on Amazon.com. If it didn't get good hype from GAFers and Euro reviews I'd think they were trying to hide it.
thq isn't the publisher. they've like descended a publisher tier with each release on these and are below direct to video style now hehe. they should put seagal and van damme in the next game

Daigoro

Stallion Free said:
Yeah I did a double take, but there it was on the new PC releases for 40$.

crazy! 40 is a good deal. i wish i wasnt broke id go shopping tomorrow.

(also, im from CT too. didnt know you were)

DennisK4 said:
I suppose this isn' really the correct thread, but anyhoo:

artistpavel, the man behind the mod compilation STALKER Complete 2009 is doing something similar for Clear Sky.

Link: http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/

Complete 2009 was absolutely fantastic, made STALKER one of my all-time favorite games, so I have high hopes for this.

Perhaps finally Clear Sky will be the game we deserved in the first place.

well thats awesome.

and holy shit, i though he was done with the 2K9 mod, but there was an update in December? :eek:

ill have to check that out.

wow, looks like lots of changes made since he said he was "done" with the mod. sweet.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wtf? Did I miss something? Amazon.de sells this game for 20 euros.
Seriously, is there any reason why this game is being sold for that price?

JADS

Joseph Merrick said:
that's what it costs everywhere pretty much. it's cheap.

Indeed, bought the limited edition at thehut for ~€22,00 shipped to the Netherlands. Pretty cheap for what seems to be an awesome game. Hope that there aren't any post office strikes or snow :lol

Top Bottom