• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

Yep, mentioned that before. If they wanted to prevent abuse a bit more, they could make it so the referred person has to buy a package and has to spend at least a few hours in ranked games. The people that are most likely to exploit the system with base packages probably wouldn't want to fly around in an Aurora for long. ;) They could get around it with buying better packages, but that'd cost far more when combined with the limitation that an account has to be a month old to gift things.
Ya, I have a feeling that exploit won't be fixed anytime soon considering people have to spend money to exploit it.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Ya, I have a feeling that exploit won't be fixed anytime soon considering people have to spend money to exploit it.

Yeah, it'd be different if there was a way to cycle the same package repeatedly to hit the UEC cap or something.

Someone managed to get their referral post on the front page of imgur.com:
http://imgur.com/gallery/ef17q
Well played. Gets people to sign up with the Citizencon free flight code, lets them know they can enter his referral code when signing up in order to cash in the free five bucks worth of UEC, and if they happen to get a game package later he gets those referral points (Gladius at 10 points and whatever they add for the higher tiers later).

Raticus79

Yeah, he isn't banned. He blocked somebody - so immediately that person presumed they got banned.

Oh weird, guess someone had faked some messages about it. Oh well.

Edit: Kevin just updated and said it takes 24-48 hours from the initial email for the suspension to take effect. Maybe something to it after all.

gossi

Oh weird, guess someone had faked some messages about it. Oh well.

Edit: Kevin just updated and said it takes 24-48 hours from the initial email for the suspension to take effect. Maybe something to it after all.

I've no idea who Kevin is, but he's probably about to get schooled on being wrong. If Twitter suspend somebody, it is immediate.

Have you guys seen the kind of vile shit that flies on Twitter? Derek Smart, for all his batshit insanity, is nowhere near the top of that list, there's no way he'd be banned.

Raticus79

Have you guys seen the kind of vile shit that flies on Twitter? Derek Smart, for all his batshit insanity, is nowhere near the top of that list, there's no way he'd be banned.

Yeah, it wasn't about the trolling or anything. He had started posting personal info on someone (linkedin profile which also linked to his wife) and the target reported it as abusive behaviour. Don't want to derail too much - there's more info in this thread if you want.

Raticus79

Oh man, I'm trying the Steam controller out with the gyro enabled for fine aim and it's a game changer. Feels really awesome to play.

url]https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3pc69q/valve_dev_shows_gyro_aiming_with_the_steam/[/url]

I have it set to detect controller yaw as mouse X and it's similar to playing a light gun game for placing your shots.

Edit: getting some gyro drift. Nothing too terrible. Hopefully the replacement one works a bit better after I exchange it (grip trigger issue).

Effect

Doxing might be what causes twitter to take action.

I keep seeing some people tossing that out but is it really doxing when that information is already made public. I remember some saying he doxed information on Sandi Gardner, etc but all that stuff was on IMDB. People were just linking to it. People say something is one thing but that doesn't mean it actually is.

Been watching Smart's twitter the past several days (I just find this whole thing with him, RSI, Star Citizen, etc just genuinely interesting from on several fronts.) and I see him blocking a lot of people, arguing but I've yet to see anything that would warrant a banning of his account. It's tame (talking about his post and even responses) compare to a lot of horrible accounts out there. Stuff that bannable I feel are all the racist and sexist accounts that exist out there and breed hate. That's the crap that should be removed on twitter. Not him whining about a crowd funding project and the worse thing directed at a person is calling them stupid. I admit I could have missed a few things but I haven't even seen him actually curse at anyone either. Yet I've seen a few people happy to toss out the word monkey and few other code words to describe him and that's a instant red flag for me in determining what kind of people they are.

tuxfool

Banned
I keep seeing some people tossing that out but is it really doxing when that information is already made public. I remember some saying he doxed information on Sandi Gardner, etc but all that stuff was on IMDB. People were just linking to it.
He was apparently having an argument with somebody, and the long and short of it is that he published details of the place of work of the spouse of the individual (among other things).

This individual was a backer but not somebody related to CIG. Twitter takes doxing reports seriously these days.

This argument had expanded to reddit where DS made a subreddit just to attack this individual. Ofc reddit then shut it down and shadow banned him.

Effect

He was apparently having an argument with somebody, and the long and short of it is that he published details of the place of work of the spouse of the individual (among other things).

A backer but not somebody related to CIG. Twitter takes doxxing reports seriously these days.

Ah I see.

Edit: I rarely bother with reddit so didn't know it got taken that far.

Raticus79

The Steam controller with the gyroscope enabled for aim is great. It pretty much fixes everything for games like this. Imagine having the controller acting like a Wiimote where if you have your thumb on the right touchpad, changes in controller pitch/yaw translate to mouse movement on the screen. You can lift your thumb if you need to reposition the controller without sending inputs. This is on top of being able to use the right touchpad as a trackball for bigger movements at the same time.

Video trying it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5J_Ulfl5Nw
I'm able to stay on the targets much more easily compared to the trackball-only attempts. Still getting used to it. I think I might need to lower the sensitivity a bit further.

It does tend to get some gyro drift. Maybe they'll be able to fix that with firmware updates.

I'd say it's a viable option. Could even be a competitive advantage once you're used to it. I'm still a bit clumsy at times due to not having things mapped where I can control it all simultaneously. Here's the current plan:
Pitch/yaw: right touchpad as trackball and gyro for fine adjustments
Roll: grip triggers
Throttle: pedals - one for forward thrust, one for backward
Strafe: left analog stick (horizontal+vertical)

That leaves the face buttons, triggers, shoulder bumpers and left touchpad (in touch d-pad mode) for mapping the non-movement stuff. I should be able to cover lots of functions with input combos similar to the approach used in the advanced controller scheme in Elite.

---

I've been getting a weird crash where SC drops to desktop with no error. Event viewer shows a crash on ue4-elementaldemo at the same time - it seems like having previously installed that demo has messed up my DirectX somehow on Windows 10. Afterburner must be getting an error trying to retrieve the VRAM usage since it's showing it as 4TB. Reinstalling drivers and DirectX didn't fix it. Might need to do a clean Windows install.

Burny

The Steam controller with the gyroscope enabled for aim is great. It pretty much fixes everything for games like this. Imagine having the controller acting like a Wiimote where if you have your thumb on the right touchpad, changes in controller pitch/yaw translate to mouse movement on the screen. You can lift your thumb if you need to reposition the controller without sending inputs. This is on top of being able to use the right touchpad as a trackball for bigger movements at the same time.

Was first exposed to such a control scheme in Nintendoland. Metroid Blast has you move the Wii U gamepad for aiming. For me, it easily beats anything an analogue stick can do without some form of aim assist.

TI've been getting a weird crash where SC drops to desktop with no error. Event viewer shows a crash on ue4-elementaldemo at the same time - it seems like having previously installed that demo has messed up my DirectX somehow on Windows 10. Afterburner must be getting an error trying to retrieve the VRAM usage since it's showing it as 4TB. Reinstalling drivers and DirectX didn't fix it. Might need to do a clean Windows install.
Weird, I wonder if that is what is happening when my game crashes some times in PTU 1.3.... I will check when I get home later.

Xane

(...)
I'm about 5 minutes in, biggest news so far is they finalized the role of the Archimedes. That role? Racer. I'm ok with that.

I honestly expected a lot of backlash from people who own a Phoenix. I haven't checked the forums yet.. I bet some are.

Xane

First preliminary stat draft for the P-72.

Hey guys, wanted to pop in here to touch on a few things Ben mentioned, along with sharing the info I had talked about in the chatroll earlier, so here are a few quick notes on the P-72's current working spec:
-Centerline gun removed, replaced with an Intake system. P-72 would be able to naturally recharge its Boost fuel now.
-Hardpoints would be 4 fixed S1's. This should lead to comparable damage against the Merlin, but no more ammo restriction of the main gun.
Overall, you'll have a faster, stronger alpha-strike ship than a Merlin, but you'll also need to be more active in managing your Power/Heat in the ship if you're trying to maintain fire with all 4 guns at once. You'll have the resources to use these weapons, but you'll also have the capability of overtaxing them, with the associated drawbacks that may bring.
A big goal with planning out the P-72 was also to make sure whatever choices we made for the design would also help grow these ships as their own platform. We've locked in a few cleanly interchangable aspects for these ships, so while there's just the P-52 nad P-72 now, we're in a better position going forward to explore more options for these snub craft.
Lastly, and to echo Ben's remarks, just because something is sold stock with more racing-leaned parts does not mean that's all it can ever do. There's going to be so much more you'll be able to do with your ships long-term when you start replacing the stock components a ship comes with. What any ship comes with off the lot is just the start of what you'll be able to do as things shape up.
That... and the Archimedes just looks amazing...

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5809818/#Comment_5809818

Raticus79

It tbh sounds better than the merlin. Boost is something that is so useful it is not funny.

Yeah, boost is a bit OP for asteroid dodging because it very quickly corrects your vector to the boost direction and eliminates drift faster than the spacebrake. Guess it must work in all the thrusters, not just the rear ones.

Yeah, boost is a bit OP for asteroid dodging because it very quickly corrects your vector to the boost direction and eliminates drift faster than the spacebrake. Guess it must work in all the thrusters, not just the rear ones.

Boost does also work for MAV thrusters which, paired with the instant acceleration of the thrusters is the main culprit for the poor flight behavior and general mass-less look and feel of the ships.

Some people though have modded with scripts "jerk" or increased time to full power which makes the flight behavior much better. Amazingly you don't need a different mode to achieve the cinematic type flying that CIG wants to show in their cut scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy0bmJVnxhs&feature=youtu.be

Edit: As far as correction via boost it is another thing adding to the FPS feel of the space combat. There is no penalty for making a poor maneuver when you can instantly put guns on a target by extreme orientation speeds. There is no need for a chase or dogfighting because every engagement is no downside to sitting and spinning to aim the guns.

Pretty god damn amazing update on alpha 2.0..coming to a PTU near you!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15024-Development-Update-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20-Star-Marine?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Crusader_WIP_03.jpg

Crusader_WIP_02.jpg

Crusader_WIP_01.jpg

Geist-

Pretty god damn amazing update on alpha 2.0..coming to a PTU near you!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...ine?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The best thing there is the first paragraph. Ships will be breaking apart after damage people! I can finally live out my [url=https://i.imgur.com/eYKO0lP.jpg]Starship Troopers
fantasy of frantically running through a ship that is splitting in two as I try to find a escape pod. I can't wait to see it in action on an Idris (SQ42 plot point perhaps?).

Also, cool little tour of one of the stations. It feels so abandoned, but I can see the potential when they finally have the AI working. It will really feel like a living breathing place.

Raticus79

The best thing there is the first paragraph. Ships will be breaking apart after damage people! I can finally live out my Starship Troopers fantasy of frantically running through a ship that is splitting in two as I try to find a escape pod. I can't wait to see it in action on an Idris (SQ42 plot point perhaps?).

Slicing a ship apart with a Glaive or Scythe would make for some badass videos.

Rephin

So a friend and I went into Arena Commander today after 1.3 hit, and we loaded into Broken Moon, but instead of sitting in my Super Hornet, I was sitting in a Greycat hovering in orbit. Guess CIG unintentionally made the Greycat "Flight Ready", lol.

Weird bug. Of course the Greycat couldn't move/fly, and my avatar kept on falling through the chair every 10 or so seconds and dying. I wish I had taken a screenshot.

So a friend and I went into Arena Commander today after 1.3 hit, and we loaded into Broken Moon, but instead of sitting in my Super Hornet, I was sitting in a Greycat hovering in orbit. Guess CIG unintentionally made the Greycat "Flight Ready", lol.

Weird bug. Of course the Greycat couldn't move/fly, and my avatar kept on falling through the chair every 10 or so seconds and dying. I wish I had taken a screenshot.

You used the holotable, right? I think that's a known issue.

Daedardus

School is killing me! Wish I had the time to follow the development more closely. By the time I graduate,I should at least be able to make my own spaceship!

Seems like they are making good progress. I expect 2.0 before the holidays.

Geist-

New Commlink

Greetings Citizens!

Today we bring you 10 for the Producers with Eric and Darian, Wednesday is this month's special Subscriber Edition of RTV with guests from the Santa Monica Art Team, ATV on Thursday includes a chat with Pete Mackay and John Pritchett about upcoming changes to the Flight Model in Alpha 2.0, and Friday brings Reverse the Verse and another Star Marine/Star Citizen Alpha post full of fun stuff.

THE COMM-LINK SCHEDULE
Monday, October 26th
  • [1500 PDT / 2200 UTC] 10 for the Producers: Episode 12
Tuesday, October 27th
  • Jump Point Rerun
Wednesday, October 28th
Thursday, October 29th
  • [1200 PDT / 1900 UTC] Around the Verse: Episode 2.05
  • Flight Model Update Post
Friday, October 30th
  • [1100 PDT / 1800 UTC] Reverse the Verse: The Community Team's Weekly Livestream - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity
  • Star Citizen Alpha 2.0/Star Marine Update Week of October 30th

10 for the Producers
Transcript

Really excited for the Flight Model post. I want to know where they're taking this.

Wait they are actually going to do it? After nearly 16 months of questions it may finally be time? Though I hope it actually will go in depth and not same 13 minutes of Ben laughing at backers with questions about the core gameplay.

Zabojnik

Wait they are actually going to do it? After nearly 16 months of questions it may finally be time? Though I hope it actually will go in depth and not same 13 minutes of Ben laughing at backers with questions about the core gameplay.

You almost make it sound like any and all changes will stop to the complaining. Oh my sweet summer child.

You almost make it sound like any and all changes will stop to the complaining. Oh my sweet summer child.
Any change CIG makes, even if it has some amazing gameplay opportunities, will always be boohoo'd by a select few people who own a ship that they view as having been "nerfed" by the change.

That shit happens any and all the time.

OK...32gb later...the lighting is different. My hangar isn't nearly as dark as it use to be.

I can no longer hit F6 to change my appearance.

What else is different?

epmode

I can no longer hit F6 to change my appearance.

I think there's a piece of equipment that lets you do that now. I think it's in your hangar.

As for what else has changed, it looks like the ArcCorp area is somewhat bigger now. I didn't notice any new buildings but alleyways have been expanded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom