• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Going through this month's Jump Point, I found this bit on the zones interesting..

JP: (From Oberscht) What would you say are the biggest features or “quirks” the engine is going to have that will be unique among engines once done?

Christopher: The supported scale, and most likely how we store positions.

Regular engines have ObjectsInWorldSpace -> Renderer -> Transformed into ScreenSpace on GPU.

We have: Positions in ZonePartitionSpace, which is sort of a regular grid inside each zone (to allow using 32-bit SIMD even at universe scale). Those are transformed into ZoneSpace, which is dependent on all the parent zones of this zone, which is then converted into camera space (to allow the renderer to use 32-bit operations), which then goes into the GPU for the final ScreenSpace transformation.

ZdRjJKU.png

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
If i remember correctly someone on Reddit linked a post to one of the devs, i think Will Leverett, saying that he expects a PTU version before 15th of November. Unfortunately I can't find the post/link.

Hmm, they do have the anniversary sale coming up in that time frame, so that would work out pretty well for them if they pulled it off.

Rephin

Messed around with the Hornet in PTU. Apparently that S4 slot replaces the ball area, which is pretty cool for non-Super Hornets. Not really digging the S4 ballistic cannon though, it's kind of hard to hit with it for me, lol.

Raticus79

I'm starting to get used to the Steam controller now. I still haven't found the right settings for fine aim, but it's great for dogfight maneuvering.

I'm using Relative mode (ctrl+c) so the mouse input (virtual trackball on right pad) directly controls the pitch and yaw.

I'm trying out a Merlin on 1.3 PTU. Would have tried a different ship but it kept crashing if I tried to fly after changing any loadouts. These aren't anything to brag about since I'm taking a long time to get these kills - it's just to try to give an idea of the control style. You can use a quick flick with lifting your thumb at the end to give your ship a spin, it keeps going for a while, then once you're pointing the way you wanted to you can put your thumb back down to stop the rotation and make smaller adjustments.

Round 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKquXbOXh1U (skip to 30 seconds to get past loading)
Wind up losing my groove at the end and wrecking on the asteroids.

Round 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxzRpAoBc4M
I'm doing a lot of strafing here (with horizontal/vertical strafes mapped to the left pad as a touch d-pad). I wind up strafing into asteroids a couple of times, lol. Watch the rounded square momentum indicator - it starts moving when I start strafing.

I'm trying out different sensitivy, smoothing and acceleration settings to see if anything works well for both fine aiming and dogfight maneuvering.

Zalusithix

This video is much better :D

Check out the über smooth latter animations...so good.

What, you don't like everything being lit with an annoying red tint?

Let's say getting it to work with a mustang alpha... isn't exactly...

starcitizen_2015_10_173kdm.png

easy.

Is that covered by insurance? ;)

On the topic of that map, one thing that has bothered me with the art direction is the fact that they have curved CRT displays mixed with flat panel digital ones. It's kind of an odd mashup of retro futuristic and traditional sci-fi. It might look interesting visually, but it makes no damn sense practically.

Zabojnik

I'm starting to get used to the Steam controller now. I still haven't found the right settings for fine aim, but it's great for dogfight maneuvering.

I'm using Relative mode (ctrl+c) so the mouse input (virtual trackball on right pad) directly controls the pitch and yaw.

I'm trying out a Merlin on 1.3 PTU. Would have tried a different ship but it kept crashing if I tried to fly after changing any loadouts. These aren't anything to brag about since I'm taking a long time to get these kills - it's just to try to give an idea of the control style. You can use a quick flick with lifting your thumb at the end to give your ship a spin, it keeps going for a while, then once you're pointing the way you wanted to you can put your thumb back down to stop the rotation and make smaller adjustments.

Round 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKquXbOXh1U (skip to 30 seconds to get past loading)

I'm doing a lot of strafing here (with horizontal/vertical strafes mapped to the left pad as a touch d-pad). I wind up strafing into asteroids a couple of times, lol. Watch the rounded square momentum indicator - it starts moving when I start strafing.

I'm trying out different sensitivy, smoothing and acceleration settings to see if anything works well for both fine aiming and dogfight maneuvering.

Good stuff, thanks for this.

What, you don't like everything being lit with an annoying red tint?
It is new age lighting.
Is that covered by insurance? ;)
maybe ;D
On the topic of that map, one thing that has bothered me with the art direction is the fact that they have curved CRT displays mixed with flat panel digital ones. It's kind of an odd mashup of retro futuristic and traditional sci-fi. It might look interesting visually, but it makes no damn sense practically
Yeah, I am not really sure what that is about. Is the station that old?

BTW, the new particle effects for shield and ship damage in the PTU are fantastic. When you hit hull, metal scraps fly off.
particle2_by_dictator93-d9dfc1z.gif

Zabojnik

On the topic of that map, one thing that has bothered me with the art direction is the fact that they have curved CRT displays mixed with flat panel digital ones. It's kind of an odd mashup of retro futuristic and traditional sci-fi. It might look interesting visually, but it makes no damn sense practically.

Everything comes back, eventually. Maybe it was built at a time when the retro / hipster movement was really strong in the empire. You know how they are.

Is GH even supposed to be a real space station? Isn't it just a simulation of one for Space Marine? Maybe there's a real space station out there that looks just like it, but has update monitor tech. I don't know, just sayin'.

Geist-

Yeah, I am not really sure what that is about. Is the station that old?
I think there was some lore somewhere stating that Gold Horizon was an ancient, somehow still operational station, something like 500 years or older.

Could be from a time when CRTs were just more rugged/reliable/easier-to-repair than the alternatives. What I don't understand is the monochrome readouts. CRTs can definitely look better than that.

tuxfool

Banned
Everything comes back, eventually. Maybe it was built at a time when the retro / hipster movement was really strong in the empire. You know how they are.

Well, yeah.

Just look at the Art Deco styling of the UEE Senate. Those statues are a dead giveaway.

tuxfool

Banned
Could be from a time when CRTs were just more rugged/reliable/easier-to-repair than the alternatives. What I don't understand is the monochrome readouts. CRTs can definitely look better than that.

Maybe the place was an old Alien theme park.

What would be a button you would use for wep group 2 on the steam controller?

I notice in the vid you do not fire the merlin's "tigerstrike"

Raticus79

What would be a button you would use for wep group 2 on the steam controller?

I notice in the vid you do not fire the merlin's "tigerstrike"

Oh, I just had them all mapped to the same button. It ran out of ammo pretty early on. I made better use of it in the second video. It would be tough to handle multiple fire groups... probably best to have the ammo-consuming ones as the second stage of the two-stage trigger.

Using the grips as modifiers could be a good option as well.

Zalusithix

Is GH even supposed to be a real space station? Isn't it just a simulation of one for Space Marine? Maybe there's a real space station out there that looks just like it, but has update monitor tech. I don't know, just sayin'.

Well, yeah.

Just look at the Art Deco styling of the UEE Senate. Those statues are a dead giveaway.

Style can always come back. Reviving dead technology on the other hand isn't so easy. Even if it is revived (think modern vacuum tube manufacturing), you're not going to see it used in critical installations. There's often good reasons the tech was abandoned in the first place. In the case of CRTs, this is most definitely the case.

As far as Gold Horizon being a simulation, yes it is. Theoretically the fictional in game devs could have taken liberties and created a simulated version that isn't 100% accurate. On the flip side, this would create double the work for CIG as they'd have to tweak all the art assets for the real stations that we'll encounter in the PU. While I wont say it's impossible, it seems unlikely that they'd do that to themselves.

Ultimately it's a minor thing, but it just seems silly to have OK'd those assets. The props don't look any better than they would have with more logical display tech put in. There's ways to sell the "aged" look without resorting to using tech that some people born in this era have never seen in person, let alone hundreds of years in the future.

Xane, those pictures are awesome. Can't wait to see how much better SC looks in motion, when AA is implemented.

Also, your thread on the RSI forums is a great illustration of why I never go there. Holy wow.

Zalusithix

Xane, those pictures are awesome. Can't wait to see how much better SC looks in motion, when AA is implemented.

Also, your thread on the RSI forums is a great illustration of why I never go there. Holy wow.

I'm guessing the thread was cleaned up, because I just see one guy screwing up what was meant by 5K and getting called out by others for his ignorance? Same thing would happen here on GAF if somebody tried to be a smart ass and "correct" somebody that didn't need correction.

That said, the official forums aren't the happiest place in the world, and I tend to not go there often. Subscriber's Den is better, but even there is kind of meh. To be expected in official forums where everybody goes to vent their frustrations over every change (or lack thereof) that happens.

I'm guessing the thread was cleaned up, because I just see one guy screwing up what was meant by 5K and getting called out by others for his ignorance? Same thing would happen here on GAF if somebody tried to be a smart ass and "correct" somebody that didn't need correction.

That said, the official forums aren't the happiest place in the world, and I tend to not go there often. Subscriber's Den is better, but even there is kind of meh. To be expected in official forums where everybody goes to vent their frustrations over every change (or lack thereof) that happens.

It's more indicative of the general attitude of many posters there - anyone can make a mistake, but the forums have cultivated a super-aggressive tone of "you are WRONG, and a LIAR" that never seems to go away.

You're right - official forums are usually pretty terrible, but the addition of frustration due to waiting *years* for the project has just exacerbated the problems.

tuxfool

Banned
True, I know I still have the FF addon webmFF 0.6.1-signed, by mrekim, but it's not really a good thing to be dependant to an addon. And now that I think about it I also don't know if mobile can watch webm.

Chrome on android can. What we are missing is a way to embed webms like gifs. It is really annoying that nobody is pushing for this, gif is the most stupid format ever when compared to its purpose and utilization.

Raticus79

Yeah, that 10 for the all stars was pretty good.

Anyone using pedals for throttle? Seems like a good solution for analog forward/backward strafe inputs (even with an otherwise simple setup like the steam controller).

Vanguard Harbringer (with sentinal upgrade)
Ageis Retaliator
Aegis Sabre (x2)
Genesis Starliner
Reliant Mini Hauler (x3 to melt and carry the LTI over to other ships)
Hull B
Origin 325a
Merlin
Super Hornet (upgraded from a Reliant Mini Hauler)
Endeavor (with medical upgrade module and landing bay)

I need to go update the org spreadsheet soon.

When I go into my hanger, the only ship that shows up is the 325a. Shouldn't the Super Hornet be showing up too? I go into "My Hangar" on the web site and all that shows up is the 325a as an option to put in my in-game hangar.

I'm probably going to get a Constellation soon. Any suggestions on which variant I should get? Are more variants coming?

By the way, have they announced any "cap" on how many different types of ships will be in the game? The more the merrier is my attitude.

Blizzard

Banned
It was posted earlier on the same page and it's 78+ MB. Of course having it in multiple posts doesn't make it download twice, but yikes at that file size. A 3MB version was posted a few posts ago that's a bit smaller.

Chrome on android can. What we are missing is a way to embed webms like gifs. It is really annoying that nobody is pushing for this, gif is the most stupid format ever when compared to its purpose and utilization.
The funny thing to me is that way back in the day, didn't geocities etc. era websites have annoying embedded videos, like .MOV or .MPEG whatever? And now what's old is almost new again, and people are trying to embed video (currently sans sound but who knows what the future will bring) in webpages.

Rephin

When I go into my hanger, the only ship that shows up is the 325a. Shouldn't the Super Hornet be showing up too? I go into "My Hangar" on the web site and all that shows up is the 325a as an option to put in my in-game hangar.

Try reinitializing the hangar and don't put any ships in. That got the Retaliator I bought to show up in my hangar at the cost of not having them displayed in an order I like in the hangar. Aside from that I've got nothing.

I'm probably going to get a Constellation soon. Any suggestions on which variant I should get? Are more variants coming?

Depends on what you want to do with it. You already have a Hull B for cargo, so maybe get the exploration focused Aquila.

Raticus79

That referral program is a bit exploitable. People planning to buy a ship could first register new accounts using their referral code, buy packages to get the referral point, and then gift the package to themselves and melt it to apply credit toward the ship they wanted. Nothing big, just lets people can get a bit more out of money they were already planning to spend. The gladius included at 10 points could make it worth the effort.

Edit: ah, requiring an account to be 30 days old before gifting slows that down a bit.

Zalusithix

That referral program is a bit exploitable. People planning to buy a ship could first register new accounts using their referral code, buy packages to get the referral point, and then gift the package to themselves and melt it to apply credit toward the ship they wanted. Nothing big, just lets people can get a bit more out of money they were already planning to spend. The gladius included at 10 points could make it worth the effort.

Yep, mentioned that before. If they wanted to prevent abuse a bit more, they could make it so the referred person has to buy a package and has to spend at least a few hours in ranked games. The people that are most likely to exploit the system with base packages probably wouldn't want to fly around in an Aurora for long. ;) They could get around it with buying better packages, but that'd cost far more when combined with the limitation that an account has to be a month old to gift things.

Zabojnik

Edit: ah, requiring an account to be 30 days old before gifting slows that down a bit.

Yep, mentioned that before. If they wanted to prevent abuse a bit more, they could make it so the referred person has to buy a package and has to spend at least a few hours in ranked games. The people that are most likely to exploit the system with base packages probably wouldn't want to fly around in an Aurora for long. ;) They could get around it with buying better packages, but that'd cost far more when combined with the limitation that an account has to be a month old to gift things.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom