• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mining vehicle? Mining mandible arm thing? Mining drone thingie?

10458484_771101166276u3q4r.jpg

Anniversary sale is up!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14314-Star-Citizen-Anniversary-Sale

I was able to grab the upgrade to Super Hornet! Feels good. Also date and price of Carrack

Finally, we’re ending the process with a much-awaited concept sale! On November 28th, we will launch the Anvil Carrack explorer concept sale. The Carrack will be available for $345, with LTI and the standard concept sale bonus features (in-game ship model and poster.)

I'd like to melt down my hornet so I can rebuy it with two years insurance but I'd lose alpha access. Really wish I'd done it when LTI melt path was still available.

Been tempted to sell my Super Hornet and 350r lately... I could probably buy a Carrack with what I'd get from the Super Hornet, pfft. I just dread dealing with the gray market again, ugh.

I've pretty much got disenchanted with the whole ship buying thing anyway. I used to not mind it, but it's getting progressively more absurd to me the more and more I see people spend, and then go on to complain about the most asinine things. Maybe it was just the whole Cutlass debacle and the Phoenix before it that soured me, who knows. I guess I also am just worrying that I'll miss out on some of the fun of working your way up if I start with too much.

Also they're selling the Javelin destroyer in limited quantities next Friday for $2500. And I've always thought the Idris was absurd @_@

Damn I was hoping for some deep cuts, shits still expensive as hell.

Making things cheaper isn't the point of their anniversary sales. It's to give people the chance to own limited time ships. Nothing becomes cheaper. Well, except for the 5k Aurora starter packages which will be half price ($20) when the Javelin goes on sale. That's new though.

I'd like to melt down my hornet so I can rebuy it with two years insurance but I'd lose alpha access. Really wish I'd done it when LTI melt path was still available.

I wouldn't fret too much.

Don't forget that LTI only covers the hull itself. It doesn't cover the cargo or equipment such as weapons beyond the base equipment. Everyone, even people with LTI will still need to pay some insurance.

Also, the "years" and "months" part of insurance is not real earth time, but rather it is in-game time. I don't know if they've figured out exactly what time scale the game will be running on, so 6 month insurance may only be 1 month in the real world for example, so 2 year insurance may end up only being 4 months in the real world or something like that. We'll get more details probably around the end of next year when PU Alpha is aiming to go live.

phoenixyz

Also, the "years" and "months" part of insurance is not real earth time, but rather it is in-game time. I don't know if they've figured out exactly what time scale the game will be running on, so 6 month insurance may only be 1 month in the real world for example, so 2 year insurance may end up only being 4 months in the real world or something like that. We'll get more details probably around the end of next year when PU Alpha is aiming to go live.

Also there will be some kind of mechanic which keeps your insurances/hangars etc from expiring when you are not playing.

Don't know if it's been posted yet, but there's a new design article talking about how health/healing is planned for your character. Sounds like it'll have some nice depth to it - I'm more than okay with them steering clear of standard regeneration mechanics - and gives a bit of insight into search and rescue gameplay.

Daedardus

Apparantly CIG is investing an additional $100 million of their own funds on top of the $60 million in crowdfunding. I said damn...

Daedardus

It's on Reddit but I'm not going to link since it contains magazine scans. But it's apparantly from an interview with Roberts in PCGamer.

epmode

That's almost certainly a misunderstanding. It's basically the exact opposite of everything CIG has said in interviews and broadcasts for the last year.

Zabojnik

What 'their own' money anyway? 100M$ would mean outside investors, surely?

I call bullshit / misunderstanding.

Would be great if somehow true, of course.

The $100mil thing isn't true, Chris says its a misquote here about their estimate that they'll have raised $100mil by the time the game is done.

I haven't played in a while but I just hopped on and my ship is missing from my hangar. What happened?

On the website go to the my hangar page and choose customize hangar there. Youll need to select what hangar you want to use if you're eligible for multiple and drag your ships into the active slots to the right.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The $100mil thing isn't true, Chris says its a misquote here about their estimate that they'll have raised $100mil by the time the game is done.

Ah, thanks. Quoting for the thread:

"This is a misquote - What was said is that we'll probably have invested at least $100M into the development of Star Citizen by the time it "launches" to the public. This is based on our intention to invest all the money we raise during initial development back into the game (which I've been quite public about) and the fact that we will most likely raise this much by the time the full vision of Star Citizen is polished enough to be called "public" (of course all you guys will be experiencing Squadron 42 and the PU before this as part of the benefit of being backers and being part of the development process)

You guys are literally setting the budget and ambition of the game with your support which in itself is a pretty amazing thing and something I never would have believed possible two years ago.

Hope that helps!"

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Getting a team of attorneys together for when the physical goods I pledged for on Kickstarter aren't delivered in the next week.

Daedardus

Set up new PC. Installed everything, including Star Citizen. The game got corrupt (my 315p has wrong textures and the sound is a continuous buzz) and I'm not going to redownload the whole thing since it can't just repair some files. Ugh :(.

Daedardus

I thought there was a repair function in the client. Doesn't work?

Wants to download the whole 19GB again... And I'm on slightly capped internet now, will wait with downloading the whole thing again.

Edit: It may or may not be Star Citizen after all. The game runs totally fine, so I tried checking the audio. Used the headphone out on my new monitor, which got routed from the PC through DisplayPort and used the nVidia audio drivers instead of my motherboard's. The humming stopped. Weird thing is that it only hums when running Star Citizen, when using the provided motherboard port for anything else, the sound is as crisp as you could expect from a modern motherboard. Maybe SC generates some low frequency noise that gets aggravated by my soundchip?

The 315p's textures are still broken though. So it might be that it didn't apply the patch correctly and corrupted some audio files which generates the noise. Needs more investigating...

Tommyhawk

There will be this week every day a new ship spotlight with new pictures and informations:

Monday, November 24th
- Ship Spotlight: Retaliator

Tuesday, November 25th
- Ship Spotlight: Gladiator

Wednesday, November 26th
- Ship Spotlight: Xi'An Scout

Thursday, November 27th
- Ship Spotlight: Caterpillar
- Javelin Post (sale starts 11/28 2500$)

Friday, November 28th
- Ship Spotlight: Banu Merchantman
- Carrack Concept Sale Launch! 345$

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...7/comm-link-schedule-week-of-november-24th/p1

The spotlight for the Retaliator is already online:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14324-Flying-Fortress-The-Aegis-Retaliator

and there is also a pretty awesome new picture:

Retaliator_Action_01b.jpg

Raticus79

Oh, CA = chromatic aberration. Yeah, better put on your retro 3D glasses if you want to look at those corners, heh.

From the description, I think they have it in this shot because it was supposed to be taken by a war photographer.

For his award-winning series, Renzo would accompany the pilots of the 391st Squadron on torpedo runs against Tevarin capital ships, but it was this image that would become one of his most remembered. Captured during Operation Nemesis, the Retaliators of the 391st were tasked with a daring run on one of the Tevarin’s devastating planetary defense systems that were keeping the UPE Navy at bay. This shot, taken remotely via Renzo’s camera, captures the moment where the Alpha Flight opened fire and has since been regarded as one of the iconic images of the war.

Daedardus

If people fund your project faster than you can write an A4 letter, you know you have something special on your hands. Or you just got tired of writing.

Raticus79

Why are they firing torpedos

Torpedos are the traditional heavy hitter vs capital ships in the Wing Commander series. If you're taking on something big, you need some massive weaponry to penetrate two or three metres of steel plating. (ref: Joan's Fighting Ships pdf from earlier games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom