• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next ship in the spotlight is the Gladiator:

Gladiator_Hangar_01.jpg

Gladiator_Promo_01.jpg

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14327-Bombs-Away-The-Anvil-Gladiator

Seems to be pretty good for killing capital ships and it is also the next hangar ready ship.
Ugh
so good looking

I think I'm gonna...
waksrgek4kty.gif
nuyhhjm8skmp.gif

Rommel

Good lord the Javelin went fast. Guess I'll have to get one in the next round!

If anyone has a good javascript for helping me buy a Javelin I'm willing to give you a Aurora MR package :D

Zabojnik

Looks like the two guys that replaced Hobbins know what they're doing.

Still, I hope he comes back to concept a few more ships after he's done with Star Wars.

Daedardus

The end of November period brought just about the worst possible news for Chris Roberts: Star Citizen has reached $63 million in crowdfunding.

It’s a massive number in a market where few projects manage to crack the $1 million unit barrier during their funding. The hot Star Citizen helped once again revive space simulator genre.

This toxic triumph was precisely what Chris Roberts did not need. The company requires shock therapy to force its hidebound executives to abandon their preposterous opposition to selling overexpensive ships as paid DLC. Instead, the ancient Chris Roberts properties from its 2013 and 2014 halcyon days keep performing well enough to enable the company to keep its head in the sand.

CIG is not crashing fast enough. The core device franchise, spaceships, has now sold 10,000s of units around the world so far this day, which is substantially below the 10,500 units it sold on the same day last year. But the erosion is simply too slow to force the company to change its mind about getting a normal publisher. The strong ship sales numbers from its home market just gave the reactionary wing of CIG’s management a new argument to stay the course and keep hanging onto its expensive DLC platform.

CIG is missing out on millions of dollars in funding from publishers who normally fund a video game.

The sweet elixir of Aegis Javelin profits are a slow venom dripping into CIG’s veins, numbing the mind of the company that needs to embrace change right now.

Sorry, I had to. Also, go Aegis go!

Fyi if you beat the carrack mini-game you get the Cartographer title to use on the official forum and an additional piece of concept art showing a jump point (looks like the black hole in Interstellar!).

The Cowboy

Decided to buy the game (got the AMD pack) due to coming across a Logitech Extreme 3D for £1 (yes 1 pound :D) at a local 2nd shop still boxed and as new, running much better than i expected considering my spec (PII X4 @ 3.8hz and an OC'd GTX480).

Looks very nice running and seems quite fun, is there a way to adjust how quickly the ship turns using a flight stick? (there is no options, wondering if there is any config settings?).

Anyways, i look forward to getting my ass handed to me in MP :D.

epmode

Lol, its almost 65m already.

Those $2500 ships were sold out within seconds, not jokes. It's insane.

I'm still worried that the game's economy and real money purchases will be designed around these guys. There's no way that CIG isn't even considering them in their design meetings.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
200 x 2500 = $500k in seconds. Dang.

"The proceeds from these ships will go towards allowing us to sell 5,000 basic Aurora backers for new players." - hmm, interesting approach. Those are also sold out too, so another 100k there.

I don't really buy the "additional players cost over $20 so we needed to subsidize them from the players buying destroyers" explanation, but not really complaining. Keep that money coming.

---

I think many players buying the really expensive ships are expecting to enjoy a position of lasting power thanks to a strong early start in the universe. Maybe that'll be the case, but I'm not sure it'll be possible to get as much dominance as is possible in Eve. Then again, there are lots of people who grew up with the series and have the money to throw at it now to make the best product possible and just don't really care about the powergaming as much.

I think many players buying the really expensive ships are expecting to enjoy a position of lasting power thanks to a strong early start in the universe. Maybe that'll be the case, but I'm not sure it'll be possible to get as much dominance as is possible in Eve. Then again, there are lots of people who grew up with the series and have the money to throw at it now to make the best product possible and just don't really care about the powergaming as much.

It is very possible that wouldn't be the case because so far the super expensive ships (relative idea really, but let us say over $200) seem to be specific to one career or in a battle scenario needs multiple people to perform adequately. So it doesn't seem as if you purchase a destroyer (which will be empty btw) is like an instant win button. I have two ships I consider expensive and they are exploration ships. I am not sure how that would compare to people who start off the game or purchase a cheaper ship. It seems like there is no uber powerful fix for things like mining, exploration, luxury, even trading because there is a really simple system of balances and checks it seems so far. Even if you staff your multicrew ship with NPC, I am pretty sure they are going to incure a cost (a paycheck) so a bigger ship would simply cost more to operate.

Keasar

As long as time to earning money to get a ship isnt to high, it shouldnt matter at all, like in EVE.

A lot of people would consider 100 hours not to be long for something, so I am afraid it will be that.

I probably will never be able to drive a big ship of my own. :(

KKRT00

A lot of people would consider 100 hours not to be long for something, so I am afraid it will be that.

I probably will never be able to drive a big ship of my own. :(

Big ships are meant to be played in coop, so even 100h is not that much, considering it will split with other people.
I doubt it will be 100h.

Also in player driven economies the time of getting wealth really depend of how a person plays. One can get same amount money in 10h, while other needs 40h etc.

So they hit 65 million in funding (65,057,935 to be exact). Was there even a stretch goal for 65 million?

They had one, but it was unannounced.

For those looking ahead to $65 million, we have a major feature we’re investigating as an option. Suffice it to say, we’ve heard a lot of your feedback about modular ships and we want to expand our plan for how to do them… so check back next letter for more information!

Reishiki

Banned
Oh fuck, how long has that 'Total Spent' line been sitting in the billing and subscription page?

My boyfriend must never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom