• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

Finally got it working. Hnnggh.

starcitizen2014-11-302eu4n.png

starcitizen2014-11-30h6uzx.png

starcitizen2014-11-30nsutu.png

Pachimari

I have longed for this game for months, and still haven't entered. Is the cheapest entry point currently $45 for the Aurora LX ship?

acksman

Is the Vanduul ever going to be available for the hanger? I keep checking, but still have not seen it show up. I have two ships available, but really want to try this one out.

Ye1AEZT.png

epmode

Is the Vanduul ever going to be available for the hanger? I keep checking, but still have not seen it show up. I have two ships available, but really want to try this one out.

Ye1AEZT.png

I suspect the only way the Vanduul will be playable before the persistent universe launches is if you have to fly one in the single-player mode since that will force CIG to complete the interior and HUD ahead of time. Either that or they go on sale again.

As it is, spending all that time to finish a ship that only 500 people will fly is a waste of resources.

Daedardus

Is there a way of forcing better AA? I think the game uses TXAA which looks somewhat OK in motion but all my screens look like shit. And does downsampling work?

Ocho

I really like how this game looks so far, but why are ships so expensive? Why are people buying into this? Buying a $350 ship that you can't even test/see in game? I wonder why I don't hear more complains about these exorbitant prices.

Has anyone regretted their purchase?

I really like how this game looks so far, but why is DLC so expensive? Why are people buying into this? Buying a $350 ship that you can't even test/see in game? I wonder why I don't hear more complains about these exorbitant prices.

Sigh...........

Remember: we are offering this pledge ship to help fund Star Citizen’s development. All of these ships will be available for in-game credits in the final universe, and they are not required to start the game. Additionally, all decorative ‘flare’ items will also be available to acquire in the finished game world. The goal is to make additional ships available that give players a different experience rather than a particular advantage when the persistent universe launches.

You can purchase the game without buying any ships when it launches. The people that are doing so now are not only helping to fund the game but may get additional perks such as 6 months, 24 months or lifetime insurance. People purchasing these ships should "know" what they are getting into. if you simply want to help fund the game and try it out early the entry price is around $40.

KKRT00

Is there a way of forcing better AA? I think the game uses TXAA which looks somewhat OK in motion but all my screens look like shit. And does downsampling work?

It uses SMAA T2x, nothing more right now.

They will probably implement SMAA T1x in the future with shader aliasing reduction like in Ryse. That shit is bonkers, its like 2x2 SSAA with blur.

---
I really like how this game looks so far, but why are ships so expensive? Why are people buying into this? Buying a $350 ship that you can't even test/see in game? I wonder why I don't hear more complains about these exorbitant prices.

Yeah, i wonder why this topic wasnt bring up earlier ...

Ocho

My bad I haven't read the entire thread, but I guess it must be common. I just have a really hard time figuring out how they are selling these things. I'll check the game out once it completely launches, though, and I really hope game turns out good. I'm not shy of spending a lot of money in games, but even I stay wary of this one until it is proven to be a good one (and people figure out if their ship's price is worth or not).

Although it would be fun to see the game not shape up to expectations and see all the tears shed.

My bad I haven't read the entire thread, but I guess it must be common. I just have a really hard time figuring out how they are selling these things. I'll check the game out once it completely launches, though, and I really hope game turns out good. I'm not shy of spending a lot of money in games, but even I stay wary of this one until it is proven to be a good one (and people figure out if their ship's price is worth or not).

Although it would be fun to see the game not shape up to expectations and see all the tears shed.

Only people with unreasonable expectations will shed tears. The excerpt I provided was actually on the webpage itself and is constantly repeated through FAQS and ship sales.

But I will say most of the expectation comes from the fact that Roberts created wing commander, starlancer and freelancer. In addition to that people can play and experience arena commander "now". And all the footage of gameplay elements so far lead most reasonable people to have a realistic base on which to gauge the game on and it is simply way to much there to believe this game will be vaporware.

Yet the endless streams of post wondering about why and worrying about broken expectations seem to come from the least informed posters on gaf. It is almost as if there is not many spots where posters can find a wealth of information, videos and discussions about the Star Citizen. It is so odd.

Enco

Sigh...........

You can purchase the game without buying any ships when it launches. The people that are doing so now are not only helping to fund the game but may get additional perks such as 6 months, 24 months or lifetime insurance. People purchasing these ships should "know" what they are getting into. if you simply want to help fund the game and try it out early the entry price is around $40.

Makes it even crazier that people are spending hundreds.

Vlodril

there hasnt been a big game in this genre for a decade or so. there are 500k or more people that people that backed this project based on their faith in roberts and their desire for a new game in this semi dead genre. and all you can think is how funny it would be if the game sucks and people were disappointed. what a crappy/weird attitude.

As far as expectations go everyone is responsible for theirs. don't overhype the game and expect the best game ever and you ll probably be satisfied with what you get.

Daedardus

It uses SMAA T2x, nothing more right now.

They will probably implement SMAA T1x in the future with shader aliasing reduction like in Ryse. That shit is bonkers, its like 2x2 SSAA with blur.

Yeah, but T2x is T1x with 2x TXAA. Which means still shots look like crap. Why can't they implement better AA from the get-go. It's the one thing bugging me the most from all the screenshots and my GPU can take it with ease.

Zabojnik

I heard rumors some of their top devs quit to make their own space game. Was this true?

If only!

Some people left, tons of new people joined. When they moved most of the ship development pipeline to Los Angeles, some people from Austin didn't want to move there, which is completely understandable. It's just how these things go.

Ocho

there hasnt been a big game in this genre for a decade or so. there are 500k or more people that people that backed this project based on their faith in roberts and their desire for a new game in this semi dead genre. and all you can think is how funny it would be if the game sucks and people were disappointed. what a crappy/weird attitude.

As far as expectations go everyone is responsible for theirs. don't overhype the game and expect the best game ever and you ll probably be satisfied with what you get.

Only for those that shell $100+ for in game stuff like a virtual ship and insurance, lol. It's a crappy attitude, all right.

It's cool that there are other offerings in the genre, now. This is how I can sit idly while this game is finished.

KKRT00

Yeah, but T2x is T1x with 2x TXAA. Which means still shots look like crap. Why can't they implement better AA from the get-go. It's the one thing bugging me the most from all the screenshots and my GPU can take it with ease.

Nah, T2x is SMAA 1x with TAA.
T1x is completely different AA :)

And its not easy to implement different AA than post-AA in current iteration of engine they have. Also it still doesnt help with shader aliasing which is the most visible aliasing in Star Citizen.

Blizzard

Banned
Aside from chromatic aberration (which can be turned off, at least it used to be possible), the anti-aliasing specks on fullsized screenshots are the most annoying thing to me graphically. I personally prefer less advanced graphics if they allow cleaner anti-aliasing, but that sort of thing seems to be a relic of the past given all the modern deferred rendering engine(s).

Even if it's a plain endgame option to downsample from 2-4 times the resolution, it might be appreciated.

phoenixyz

If they offer nothing more than some lame downsampling (with its terrible smoothing/performance hit ratio) I will be very disappointed. The post-processing AA in Ryse worked very well and that's the least I expect.

KKRT00

If they offer nothing more than some lame downsampling (with its terrible smoothing/performance hit ratio) I will be very disappointed. The post-processing AA in Ryse worked very well and that's the least I expect.

They are in full cooperation with Crytek and Warhorse, there is no way it wont have decent AA solution.
They are engineering volumetric smoke ffs, the good AA solution will be piece of cake for them :)

Daedardus

Downsampling seems to do it's job though. With a small downsampling boost the game keeps running at 60FPS while those nasty stairs/corridors look a lot better. Will post some comparison screenshots when I have the time.

Daedardus

Damn, this game is beautiful. Screens don't even do the game justice. I'm in love with PBR since seeing it in real time for the first time. Can't wait until the PU comes out. *encircles 2017 on calendar*

Also, I need a hot ass. Will wait for the Star Citizen one though, if it doesn't take too long (but it certainly will).

MrBig

If I buy the ship for $45 will I get access to my own hangar, the ship, travelling and dog fighting?

I haven't bought into this project before now, how do I buy and play this? An Aurora game package and the Arena Commander pass are required, which constitutes the 'Arena Commander Starter' pack ($45). Later test module releases will require separate $5 tokens for each one (different module details follow this section). Buying the Aurora MR+ package (included in the AC starter) will give you access to the game's beta state (which would be the Persistent Universe) and the final game, including the Squadron 42 campaign, Star Citizen PU, and private servers.

Your post is a little vague, but as the wording hints that you're not familiar with the project please don't make the assumption that there is more to the playable game at the moment than shooting eachother up in small arenas. Check the OP of this thread as well as the FAQs on RSI.

The Cowboy

If I buy the ship for $45 will I get access to my own hangar, the ship, travelling and dog fighting?

Just do what i did, look around and buy the AMD Star Citizen gift/code, i got mine for $20 via the Gaf buy/trade/sell thread (£13.24 it cost me when converted) - it gives you a neat red ship (you can't fly this one yet), a hanger and arena access right now. This way you don't drop more money than you need to check things out, and if you like it you can then put the extra cash you would have spent on another ship or some upgrades etc.

Forgot about the bulldog, but wasn't that just selected as a voter ship a month ago? If so those new work processes in place must have really sped up ship development

What is it?

The size of your ship affects its ability and which jumppoints it can navigate well.

So large ships have different paths to take than smaller ones, leading to isntances where smaller ships get to locations quicker (aka, the idea of a light vanguard force still works in this fiction).

That is some cool strategic game balance there.
New tease from Sandi's facebook, thought it might be the 3rd starter but I don't think they're that far ahead on its design yet

16422_777618472291441_8865523177338276879_n.jpg

Their engine work is brilliant.

MrBig

Forgot about the bulldog, but wasn't that just selected as a voter ship a month ago? If so those new work processes in place must have really sped up ship development

The vote ships are for priority on existing designs for the most part, not necessarily just on initial concept ideas.

pottuvoi

Banned
I havent seen U4 solution live, but SMAA T1x basically works like this.
Ah yes, remember reading about it in paper, but sadly haven't seen it in movement. (Just the usual SMAA variants, which do not handle temporal as well.)
Here's a video of UE4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNQ47MY-Eo0

It's pretty obvious that methods like T1x, UE4AA and TXAA are the future, especially as PBR has tendency of creating a lot of high frequency aliasing.

Cannot Imagine how art of SC can look with all the sparkling gone.

Zabojnik

Also, I need a hot ass. Will wait for the Star Citizen one though, if it doesn't take too long (but it certainly will).

Both CIG and Saitek will want to maximize launch sales, so my guess is it'll be released alongside S42, whenever that will be. Sandi said they (Saitek) told her it takes about a year from start to finish, so if they started working on it a couple of months back, as stated ... We're looking at December 2015 at the earliest, imo.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Both CIG and Saitek will want to maximize launch sales, so my guess is it'll be released alongside S42, whenever that will be. Sandi said they (Saitek) told her it takes about a year from start to finish, so if they started working on it a couple of months back, as stated ... We're looking at December 2015 at the earliest, imo.

Squadron 42 won't be released all at once, though, unless you mean that they'll release the HOTAS once S42 is a finished product. If that's the case, though, I'm not sure it'll be finished by December 2015 ... they plan on releasing five 10-episode chapters every three months starting in ... when is it now, May 2015? It was going to be the beginning of the year. It probably won't be until June, which means the last chapter will optimistically be released June 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom