• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Yeah, I'm pretty much addicted at this point. Can't be helped, really. They release new info on (almost) a daily basis. :D

Any more info on the new rumoured entry-level pack (I think I recall you mentioning that)? Digital Bounty Hunter looks like my best bet so far, don't wanna buy it and then have a better pack announced though :)

samjaza

I have a freelancer, Cutlass and a m50.
I really cant afford any more ships, i'm thinking of melting down the cutlass though and might pick the Aurora LN up.

Zabojnik

Any more info on the new rumoured entry-level pack (I think I recall you mentioning that)? Digital Bounty Hunter looks like my best bet so far, don't wanna buy it and then have a better pack announced though :)

They added it yesterday, but it's not an entry-level pack. Advanced Hunter. It's 10$ more than the Digital Bounty Hunter, it has the Avenger instead of the 300i and you get 6 months of insurance instead of 4. Don't worry about it, you could always melt down your package and buy a new one later, if you change your mind.

I have a freelancer, Cutlass and a m50.
I really cant afford any more ships, i'm thinking of melting down the cutlass though and might pick the Aurora LN up.

I know the feeling. :D

That commercial is fantastic.

Zabojnik

Can anyone explain to me why Germany is into this game so much? Are they just big PC gamers?

Pretty much because of that, yeah. Although they seem to have a thing for space sims in particular. See the X series.

EDIT: Ah, you were refering to the Citizen Con 2014 venue poll results. Yeah, all of Europe is voting to have it in Berlin.

Can anyone explain to me why Germany is into this game so much? Are they just big PC gamers?

Germans are in general pretty accepting of PC gamers, and those that are around 30 or so have really fond memories of Wing Commander and other Chris Robert's games.

Can I mention how incredibly amazing both those shield effects look? The shield impact and the shield charging up look almost like pre-rendered GCI quality.

Mindlog

ZaeNk6A.png

In the past 24 hours they basically raised an entire Sixense STEM kickstarter.

I was about to get a Retaliator, but a friend is getting one. I'll get a Hornet variant to provide cover. Good deal. So far I've stuck to my original story of not becoming an Admiral. Variants might end that story.

Beat Darkstar One. It's not a great game, but I really liked it. It's like an extreme budget version of Star Citizen with an ending resembling what Mass Effect should have done.

MrBig

Those alpha spots are going pretty damn fast. They'll be gone before the dogfighting module is out, I think.

They haven't really talked about the slots after putting up the counter, I wonder how and at what point they'll expand the test if they do, because you wouldn't be able to describe it as entering the "beta" phase until late 2014 with the full PU module

I accidentally voted for Montreal instead of Berlin. Fucking Firefox froze and I accidentally clicked vote.

Luckily Berlin does not need my vote anyway. :D

With the hornet variants and new commercial next week, I'm betting they'll hit 23 mil by next weekend,I think that was their original goal to cover fees and everything

Zabojnik

With the hornet variants and new commercial next week, I'm betting they'll hit 23 mil by next weekend,I think that was their original goal to cover fees and everything

I'm curious to hear from CR about that, once 23M$ is achieved. They've been adding development teams / studios left and right lately and 23M suddenly doesn't seem that much for a game of this scope. Does anybody know how much some of the other mmo(rpgs) cost to develop?

CTLance

Looking at the ship comparison doohickey, it seems like only the LX will have a Jumpdrive by default. That's a bit annoying. I'm sure that part will not be cheap. Add two more weapons as per the trailer loadout to the LN, and it might become a bit more expensive than I thought...
Almost, ALMOST bought that new Aurora.
Me too, except for the ALMOST part. Dammit.

I now have a LX and a LN and am ravaging the MR (and as of yet unannounced CL) with my eyes. The Bombers have been wiped from my min-... dammit.

I can tell Sunday evening is gonna be harsh on me. I want one of the bombers, but the Aurora LN looks so juicy, just perfect as a cheapish throwaway bodyguard when manned by an NPC. Quite a bit of pewpew, moderate shields and maneuverability, just what I want to sit between my Freelancer and Pirates. The added weapon slots, upgrade slot and increased top speed compared to the LX would make it a better fit for this role. On the other hand, BOMBER. I needn't say more, right. Decisions, decisions.

MrBig

Here's the new outfit and fish tank, as well as the new commercial playing on the display.

starcitizen-2013-10-1ssu86.jpg

I had to reset my config file btw, I was getting ~20fps when I first loaded it up but it jumped back up to normal after that

I can tell Sunday evening is gonna be harsh on me. I want one of the bombers, but the Aurora LN looks so juicy, just perfect as a cheapish throwaway bodyguard when manned by an NPC. Quite a bit of pewpew, moderate shields and maneuverability, just what I want to sit between my Freelancer and Pirates. The added weapon slots, upgrade slot and increased top speed compared to the LX would make it a better fit for this role. On the other hand, BOMBER. I needn't say more, right. Decisions, decisions.

You can always earn this stuff in game, no need to buy it now

$22m letter

We’re very excited about how this is going to improve the game (and our artists are eager to start playing with this technology!) I’m also pleased to announce our $24 million goal:

Public Transportation System – Need to get from one place to another but don’t have a starship? We’re building a galactic transportation system. You can travel via transport from system to system in Star Citizen and even ship items (like a ship you need move to another hangar.) With this stretch goal, we’ll expand this system: star liners, long range transports, charter ships and flyable shuttles!

Sethos

Banned
Can someone explain how this thing works. I see a bunch of standalone ships available for purchase, I also see a bunch of packs. Say I wanted Hangar access, along with Alpha / Beta access, what's the cheapest pack? What if I decide to upgrade, can I pay the remaining amount to upgrade and the standalone ships, if I buy any of those will they just be added to my inventory or? I also see some packs with different titles in a similar price bracket, is that just what ship comes with it or does it specify a title / role you'll take on?

Twice its just disappeared from my running programmes and task manager, and I can't restart it because it says its already running. On Windows 8 btw, is this a common problem with the game, the OS, or am I doing something wrong

MrBig

Can someone explain how this thing works. I see a bunch of standalone ships available for purchase, I also see a bunch of packs. Say I wanted Hangar access, along with Alpha / Beta access, what's the cheapest pack?

Packs are akin to purchasing a full game. You get whatever is bundled in the pack through the alpha/beta and to start you off in the PU in 2015 with one character slot. The standalone ships do not get you access to the game, they are for adding ships without purchasing another character slot.

The cheapest pack with alpha/beta access and access to the PU and Squadron 42 at launch is the $40 digital mercenary.

What if I decide to upgrade, can I pay the remaining amount to upgrade and the standalone ships, if I buy any of those will they just be added to my inventory or? I also see some packs with different titles in a similar price bracket, is that just what ship comes with it or does it specify a title / role you'll take on?

Everything you purchase can be reclaimed for store credit instantly for the price you purchased for (for actual refunds you need to contact support), which can be used to purchase anything on the store. When you go to check out you can apply both store credit and a card.

If you click on a pack it will tell you what ship, hangar, and extras it comes with. The title is an abstract description of the intended role of the ship and items included in the package.

Everything you purchase goes into a "My Hangar" section in which you can view everything included in each item, reclaim them for credits, or gift them to someone. When the character system goes live you will choose what you want to assign to your characters or save for later.

Sethos

Banned
Appreciate the explanation MrBig. Man, I just found a ship that looked cool, the Idris and noticed that's only part of the $5.000 pack. Christ.

Well, very interested in the game but I'm holding out until there's a ship I find aesthetically appealing.

MrBig

Appreciate the explanation MrBig. Man, I just found a ship that looked cool, the Idris and noticed that's only part of the $5.000 pack. Christ.

Well, very interested in the game but I'm holding out until there's a ship I find aesthetically appealing.

I recommend you get the digital merc pack and then play the game, find out where you want to go from there, as whatever rolls you take on will probably change over time. Unless you just want to fund the project, getting anything beyond the basic pack really isn't advisable.

Sethos

Banned
I recommend you get the digital merc pack and then play the game, find out where you want to go from there, as whatever rolls you take on will probably change over time. Unless you just want to fund the project, getting anything beyond the basic pack really isn't advisable.

Think I'll hold out until I see some ships that appeal to me. Really want to have a ship that I fall in love with and I want to take out on its maiden voyage :p Would be a waste pledging and then never seeing a ship you really like -- Then I'll never really get to play it.

Zabojnik

On the other hand, BOMBER. I needn't say more, right. Decisions, decisions.

Congrats on the Gladiator! You know it, I know it. :)

That may be a mistake. CIG has been pretty clear that all ships except the p15 merlin have jump drives. That spreadsheet also doesn't list the catepillar as having one - which must be wrong.

Yeah, Ben was in chatroll earlier today, said ship stats are getting fixed / updated soon.

Is 60fps on Very High okay for the Hangar Module? Not sure whether I should be getting more because its not very intensive

Stealth bragging.
Hitch <3
That's very good, considering it's unoptimized code.

Top Bottom