• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

CTLance

Holy crap, that Avenger looks amazing! Don't do this to me, Zabojnik!
You can always earn this stuff in game, no need to buy it now
What kinda mad talk is this?

Now see there, buddy, in this part of town, when you earn some money, or when you spend some money, hell, even if ya only have some money The Roberts gets his cut. Else we're gonna have ta choke sumbitch. We clear? ;)
Congrats on the Gladiator! You know it, I know it. :)
There you go again! Augh! I would totally splurge, but I'd have to melt my LN for that, seeing how buying two virtual spaceships at 200 bucks per weekend despite already owning four would be too much of an admission of Star Citizen fanaticism and general lack of mental facilities.

All that and the Hornet variants haven't even been released. Or Freelancer variants.
Or a return of the Starfarer. With variants. Or the Origin 890 Jump. Heck, even the M50 would be dangerous.
My poor poor wallet. Why can't I stop? Whyyyyyyyyy?

~Kinggi~

Banned
We better be able to get all this ship shit through single player in-game methods, cause this whole 'funding' game sure is turning into one of the biggest paid dlc romp fests ever.

We better be able to get all this ship shit through single player in-game methods, cause this whole 'funding' game sure is turning into one of the biggest paid dlc romp fests ever.

Naw man, haven't you been paying attention? There's no way to buy ships in-game. In fact, after launch, all the $$ prices on ships are going to triple, better get in while you can!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Naw man, haven't you been paying attention? There's no way to buy ships in-game. In fact, after launch, all the $$ prices on ships are going to triple, better get in while you can!

Honestly this whole campaign has been confusing as heck. I imagine the confusion lends itself to people compulsively spending a ton of money on it, therefore they keep it confusing.

Stealth bragging.
Hitch <3
That's very good, considering it's unoptimized code.

Ha, I'm genuinely clueless as to what performance I should be looking for since I haven't played a graphics-intensive game yet. I wanted to see what I could get on BF4 but FRAPS doesn't seem to agree with it

Is it true that you get a bigger hangar if you buy more ships, or is that yet to be rolled out?

Also, any word on how viable a controller will be for the final product? I can imagine it being easier all round, it certainly feels more fluid moving around the hangar with a controller imo.

The third person controls are an affront to Coutinho, but its alpha and seemingly designed for third person, so its not a big deal. Love the janky alpha ladder climbing as well :p

Is this running Cryengine 4 btw? Is that equivalent to Crysis 3?

Honestly this whole campaign has been confusing as heck. I imagine the confusion lends itself to people compulsively spending a ton of money on it, therefore they keep it confusing.

You can buy ships with in-game credits for what will probably be reasonable prices. You'll be able to buy credits with real money, but only a rather limited about per month. The *only* reason you should buy a ship now is if you want to support the development of the game and/or want to play around with the alpha/beta things they release. I just can't imagine that someone would think these are "real" prices for ships that will carry through to release without alternatives.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You can buy ships with in-game credits for what will probably be reasonable prices. You'll be able to buy credits with real money, but only a rather limited about per month. The *only* reason you should buy a ship now is if you want to support the development of the game and/or want to play around with the alpha/beta things they release. I just can't imagine that someone would think these are "real" prices for ships that will carry through to release without alternatives.

There was a whole giantbomb podcast on this recently with everyone being confused about what the heck the game is and what are you buying and if you could get it later, pretty much confirmed how i felt before for the last few months.

MrBig

Ha, I'm genuinely clueless as to what performance I should be looking for since I haven't played a graphics-intensive game yet. I wanted to see what I could get on BF4 but FRAPS doesn't seem to agree with it

Is it true that you get a bigger hangar if you buy more ships, or is that yet to be rolled out?

Also, any word on how viable a controller will be for the final product? I can imagine it being easier all round, it certainly feels more fluid moving around the hangar with a controller imo.

The third person controls are an affront to Coutinho, but its alpha and seemingly designed for third person, so its not a big deal. Love the janky alpha ladder climbing as well :p

Is this running Cryengine 4 btw? Is that equivalent to Crysis 3?

In terms of fidelity it meets/exceeds Crysis 3, don't let the small hangars confuse that. Currently it's running on Cryengine 3 but will have elements of the new engine incorporated.

The game is designed around KB/M, HOTAS systems, the Rift, and gamepads. This is also a first person game designed around providing an immersive experience, the third person option is only available for vanity for those that care about looking at their ships/character, but it will not exist as it does in it current for for long.

There was a whole giantbomb podcast on this recently with everyone being confused about what the heck the game is and what are you buying and if you could get it later, pretty much confirmed how i felt before for the last few months.

My biggest complaint when the new site went live was that it really obfuscated how to purchase the main game, it just throws a bunch of boxes at you in no great hierarchy when you click on the store, you have to dig around to figure out what you need to purchase to just buy the base package or one that includes testing access.

In terms of fidelity it meets/exceeds Crysis 3, don't let the small hangars confuse that. Currently it's running on Cryengine 3 but will have elements of the new engine incorporated.

The game is designed around KB/M, HOTAS systems, the Rift, and gamepads. This is also a first person game designed around providing an immersive experience, the third person option is only available for vanity for those that care about looking at their ships/character, but it will not exist as it does in it current for for long.

My biggest complaint when the new site went live was that it really obfuscated how to purchase the main game, it just throws a bunch of boxes at you in no great hierarchy when you click on the store, you have to dig around to figure out what you need to purchase to just buy the base package or one that includes testing access.

Is there any word on the potential price of the full base game when it releases? My donation was one third just wanting the ship, credits, map and Hangar Module, one third wanting to donate to the development, and one third downpayment for the full game :p

I wanna try out a Rift, wonder when we'll start getting demo units in the UK

1cmanny1

Yes, but what gave You idea that its Germany? Its whole Europe :) Just look at per country population info from EVE Online :)

Ah, of course. I didn't even consider that for some reason.

So how do we get the LN? Do we just buy the upgrade if we have the original?

Enough people have managed to figure it out to make this the highest crowdfunded project ever, both in terms of money spent and backers. Just need to pay some attention to what they are trying to do. And there's always people willing to answer any questions newcomers might have about the game. I'm sure if CIG looked back now there would be things they would have done differently but this crowdfunding effort has been constantly evolving over the past year. It's understandable that they didn't have all the answers from day 1 of announcing the project. It has a much larger scale and much more flexibility than any such attempt till date.

Is there any word on the potential price of the full base game when it releases?

Most likely it will be the standard price of $60.

So how do we get the LN? Do we just buy the upgrade if we have the original?

If you only have a package with the old Aurora, you'll need to upgrade to the new package which contains the LN version. If you just had an addon Aurora ship, you can get the $10 upgrade and you'll be set.

Zabojnik

Enough people have managed to figure it out to make this the highest crowdfunded project ever, both in terms of money spent and backers. Just need to pay some attention to what they are trying to do. And there's always people willing to answer any questions newcomers might have about the game. I'm sure if CIG looked back now there would be things they would have done differently but this crowdfunding effort has been constantly evolving over the past year. It's understandable that they didn't have all the answers from day 1 of announcing the project. It has a much larger scale and much more flexibility than any such attempt till date.

Pretty much what I wanted to post. It's really not that confusing, if you're willing to put any effort into understanding what is already a very complex game. I don't want to come across as an asshole fanboy, but if after reading through the "About the game" section of the website you don't understand what buying a package gets you ... I don't know man, I don't know. And even then - the chat, where there's a ton a people willing to help you out and answer any questions you might have, is a click away, as are the forums.

Yah... My wallet is on life support...

2x Retaliator
2x Gladiator
3x LN packages

pTfOlsI.jpg

The Avenger looks so sweet, but I like the fact that with the Origin 300 series you can get up out of the seat and walk around. If you could do that in the Avenger it would be perfect.

CTLance

Once again: With the exception of one ship that will be a major hassle to own (because it cannot be insured if you acquire it normally in the game) all ships "on sale" during the crowdfunding phase can be acquired in the game by normal means.

They are just a way of CIG saying "Thank you for your donation!".

Because that's what it is: A donation. You donate money to a hopefully great videogame. The kickback is rather insubstantial, and honestly, it may actually decrease the fun you will have in the game: the progression from half-corroded dinghy to planet-devouring deathstar is a good chunk of the fun to be had in these kind of games.

That's why it's perfectly acceptable to buy the "smallest" pack and call it a day. You'll save a couple of bucks compared to full retail and you get to play in the public alpha and beta, long before the game actually releases. That's actual value right there. Everything else is just candy.
Yah... My wallet is on life support...

2x Retaliator
2x Gladiator
3x LN packages
posted-on-shock-mansi5rkpv.jpg

Holy crap.

I salute your dedication to the cause. May The Lamp shine on your path forevermore.

CTLance

That looks neat. I'm still scrounging by with the DirectX10 "hack". No way am I gonna try and add AA to that.

Also, I have a vague sense of disquiet towards Zabojnik and his scary prediction abilities. I say we burn the witch.
Dibs on all the heathen spaceships!

I'm now at two Auroras, one Gladiator, one Freelancer, one 350R and one Pirate Rescue ship (Cutlass).

Whatever shall I do with all these pretties?
84r26cyb6kmp.gif

Finally got around to melting my 300i + 315p upgrade and bought the Pathfinder package so I could check out the 315p in the hangar. Looks great, and the new fish tank, the vid-screen and clothing model give a bit of much-needed life to my dingy discount hangar, heh.

Then I watched a video of someone walking round their Freelancer in a business hangar and my wallet started itching, but I must resist. That is too much money, dammit.

Edit: Maybe I should spend these 12,000UEC on some useless decorations to ease these cravings to buy something!

MrBig

Avenger looks superb, we need bigger ships in the same style too. Something along the size of Valkyrie from avatar.

They'll be doing shuttles and passenger cruisers, but I wouldn't expect to see them until much later in development. There are quite a few big ships overall too, the bengal carrier is a km long, there are a few capital ships of an undescribed large size, the Idris mini-carrier, and cruisers. Bigger means more crew are needed to use them effectively though

e: If you mean aesthetic style the Aegis ships should all be fairly similar in visual cues

Might want to hold off for a buggy. I keep reading rumors that neat buggy stuff will be released soon.

Interesting, cheers... I'll hold fire for now then. I was going to settle for a Workbench, as it sounds like they'll be used for modifying ships somewhere down the line, but buggy antics sound a lot more entertaining!

Zabojnik

Dat 8x MSAA. Frames went from ~25 to ~10 on my lowly 570 GTX, some graphic / lighting oddities apprear with AA on. Gonna upgrade the shit out of my PC late next year.

scavenger01.jpg

scavenger02.jpg

scavenger03.jpg

scavenger04.jpg

Keasar

24 Million Goal said:
Public Transportation System – Need to get from one place to another but don’t have a starship? We’re building a galactic transportation system. You can travel via transport from system to system in Star Citizen and even ship items (like a ship you need move to another hangar.) With this stretch goal, we’ll expand this system: star liners, long range transports, charter ships and flyable shuttles!

Huh, thought this was a already planned feature.

Daedardus

It wasn't only SC's birthday, but also mine. Ugh tired. Need to study too. Sorry hangar patch :(

All that and the Hornet variants haven't even been released. Or Freelancer variants.
Or a return of the Starfarer. With variants. Or the Origin 890 Jump. Heck, even the M50 would be dangerous.

I'm still holding out for that 890 Jump. But that Avenger looks so slick. Ah well, guess I must earn it ingame.

At this point they're pretty much just trying to impress Sethos, that's all they care about.
I kid, Sethos. :)

I think he will only be impressed by the Bengal actual model. And I'm not even sure on that.
Joking :)

Zabojnik

SSAA x32

By the time your computer can run that, you'll have your own real spaceship.

Daedardus, you really, really need an avatar. We can't have one of our best Citizens look like a space hobo. It was your birthday too - happy birthday, btw! - so you really should indulge and get yourself a nice looking one. Avatars are like women - you'll never get laid if you keep waiting for the perfect one.

CTLance

Aw man, just had the metadata error, thank The Lamp I am not on a throttled connection. Thing downloaded all three and a half gigs again, methinks.

When did they add that extensible bit to the Freelancers' loading bay door? As the owner of quite a few toys in my youth I am fairly sure that this is not good for the structural integrity of the door.

Oh well, who cares, must futz around with my Auroras. Why can't I have me Cutlass or Gladiator in me Hangar right now, arr. Not even a model for the bommer yet either. The wait is killing me.
wfhjaaw00ukz.gif

Okay CTLance, you need to stop buying ships. You've helped finance at least a derelict asteroid base or a planet. That's enough, Citizen! :p
I... don't understand. Are you saying I should... cease throwing money at The Roberts? As in, "not buy"? "Stop to spend money on"? This is complicated. I'm not sure I can grasp this concept.

I remember somebody here in the community bought the idris corvette and I demand to be his friend! I hate that I'm going to miss out on the retaliator because of this damn graduate school tuition. Does anybody know if I would still get LTI on it if it goes on sale later on? I think I heard somebody say the cutoff is in November even for original backers.

I kind of regret buying the 300i. Looks a bit generic compared to the dingy-looking Aurora, which has personality and looks like a ship you would actually start with if you were a prospective space-farer

And no, I don;t want to solve this issue by buying and Aurora :p

If you bing Star Citizen, the official site is the seventh result

What happens to the Hangar Module when you own more than one ship?

XaeonBE

I kind of regret buying the 300i. Looks a bit generic compared to the dingy-looking Aurora, which has personality and looks like a ship you would actually start with if you were a prospective space-farer

It just adds your ship too it and expands automaticly

MrBig

You'll be able to earn whatever ship you want, probably even by around next time this year.

The hangar spaces are modular, it will infinitely expand to however many ships. Larger ships have bigger hangars.

Reading the jump point that dealt with the making of the 300i, Roberts was telling the team that the ship was only using about half of the polygon budget that was available and wanted them to use more complicated geometry to make it more detailed. As they went back and forth it didn't sound like they actually listened and kept it the same which could be why it looks somewhat low poly compared to other ships.

I have the 5,000 credits for downloading the Hangar Module, but not the 2,000 for buying the DBH pack. Will get those when the game launches, since it say 'starting credits'?

Kinda tempted to kit out my 300i with the weapons, and tart up the hangar with some decorations :D

Is the Digital Star Map the same as the Game Universe Map?

I'd love to see Chris Robert's hangar (not a euphemism). Wonder if he has every ship with every weapon, every decoration, every skin etc

What do the skins look like btw?

Top Bottom