• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Blizzard

Banned
I realize optimization is probably not a focus, but I do hope things get optimized a little better with the new engine version. :p

I had lousy dreams last night, but I did have one dream about flying around in a big near-asteroid area in space ships, and jumping out to float around. I think I was dreaming it was the dogfighting module, though near a planet or asteroid or whatever. I was impressed that the performance was so smooth.

Guys, I know I am LTTP but I just discovered this game and I can't put into words how fantastic it looks. If the vision they have is achieved this could potentially be the greatest game ever created. Now, which package to choose from...Hmmm

If you're on a tight budget or just want to start at the very bottom with nothing to your name then there's the Aurora, which comes in the standard variant (actually the MR, but the details there aren't important) or the LN which is more combat focused with additional weapon hardpoints. However, you may be interested in a 300i (either base model, 315p for exploration, or 325a for combat. Those variants are just different equipment packages though, at their core it's all the same ship) or an Avenger instead as they're a bit of a step up and don't cost too much more than an Aurora.

If you're a bit loose with your wallet and don't mind specializing a bit more the Freelancer and Hornet offer a good choice for a dedicated trader/explorer or mercenary respectively. There's only one option for the Freelancer now, but the Hornet has an additional stealth and recon variant available for consideration, again those variants are just different stock equipment though. At the same price point is the Cutlass, which sort of combines Hornet and Freelancer into a ship that's good at combat (though not as much as the Hornet, though the Cutlass seems to be more maneuverable) and can do some exploration but cuts back on cargo space and weapon hardpoints. Also, some claim you'll be typecasted as a pirate if you fly one but that's not really true. For some reason the Cutlass package isn't available to new backers so you'd have to have someone else buy and gift it to you though. That's a good idea for all ships however, as you can get LTI that way!

Finally if money is of no concern and you don't mind playing with friends or hiring NPCs in-game to get the most out of your ship, the Constellation is the best money can buy. It's the largest ship on sale now and the fourth largest we've seen (Retaliator, Idris, and Bengal are larger). It's role is that it doesn't HAVE a specific role; it's the most versatile ship available and can be equipped to fulfill whatever you want to do with it, even dogfighting despite its size.

Ensirius

If you're on a tight budget or just want to start at the very bottom with nothing to your name then there's the Aurora, which comes in the standard variant (actually the MR, but the details there aren't important) or the LN which is more combat focused with additional weapon hardpoints. However, you may be interested in a 300i (either base model, 315p for exploration, or 325a for combat. Those variants are just different equipment packages though, at their core it's all the same ship) or an Avenger instead as they're a bit of a step up and don't cost too much more than an Aurora.

If you're a bit loose with your wallet and don't mind specializing a bit more the Freelancer and Hornet offer a good choice for a dedicated trader/explorer or mercenary respectively. There's only one option for the Freelancer now, but the Hornet has an additional stealth and recon variant available for consideration, again those variants are just different stock equipment though. At the same price point is the Cutlass, which sort of combines Hornet and Freelancer into a ship that's good at combat (though not as much as the Hornet, though the Cutlass seems to be more maneuverable) and can do some exploration but cuts back on cargo space and weapon hardpoints. Also, some claim you'll be typecasted as a pirate if you fly one but that's not really true. For some reason the Cutlass package isn't available to new backers so you'd have to have someone else buy and gift it to you though. That's a good idea for all ships however, as you can get LTI that way!

Finally if money is of no concern and you don't mind playing with friends or hiring NPCs in-game to get the most out of your ship, the Constellation is the best money can buy. It's the largest ship on sale now and the fourth largest we've seen (Retaliator, Idris, and Bengal are larger). It's role is that it doesn't HAVE a specific role; it's the most versatile ship available and can be equipped to fulfill whatever you want to do with it, even dogfighting despite its size.

Hey thanks a lot for that. That's a very good summation.

phoenixyz

As I said the objective is to play the game. There is no "endgame". Getting ships is not an endgame, getting lots of money is not an endgame directly in the parameters of SC. For some people all they want is an aurora to hop around and visit each of the systems, in that case they're already reached their personal "endgame".

If you want to play to reach a certain objective then that is you personal choice, but you can't be angry at the game for you choosing to do something you don't want to do to earn something that you don't care about
What's with the passive aggressiveness? I just wanted to say that CIG will probably not be able to eliminate grinding from the game. And that, in combination with microtransactions, can backfire terribly.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
What's with the passive aggressiveness? I just wanted to say that CIG will probably not be able to eliminate grinding from the game. And that, in combination with microtransactions, can backfire terribly.

i know grinding sounds like a bad game mechanic, but i actually want a grindy game, something where i can repetitively . I don't want it to be only thing to the game, its nice to have a routine. that's just me.

Keasar

We might hit 27 million tomorrow. Yay! Thank you nerds with too much money :)

money.gif

To go along with the Constellation Pre-flight video, also check out his Constellation Interior + Crew + Character animations video.

Also, we're like $200 away from hitting the $27 million mark! Expect a Letter from the Chairman tonight with the $29 million stretch goal. :D

Next up: Mustang starter ship goal ($28 million)

I'm hoping that they have something good lined up for the $30 million stretch goal. I'm going to guess that by the end of 2013 the game will be over $30 million funded. I'm expecting a bump with the dogfighting module next month.

*Edit* Bam! https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13368-Letter-From-The-Chairman-27-Million

Next stretch goal ($29 million)
Enhanced Mission Design for Squadron 42 – The team at Foundry 42 has big plans for Squadron 42, and we’re going to provide extra funding to make it a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander! Squadron 42 can go above and beyond anything you’ve seen before. From opening with an epic battle instead of a training patrol to missions that seamlessly combine boarding and space combat, we aim to put you right into the action! Additional funding will let the team realize this, with enhanced mission design and more resources and animations to enhance fidelity.

Banu Merchantman will also be one of the ships available during the sale on the 26th! It's apparently going to feel different than flying a human ship in the game. Can't wait to check it out one day.

$29 million stretch goal:

• Enhanced Mission Design for Squadron 42 – The team at Foundry 42 has big plans for Squadron 42, and we’re going to provide extra funding to make it a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander! Squadron 42 can go above and beyond anything you’ve seen before. From opening with an epic battle instead of a training patrol to missions that seamlessly combine boarding and space combat, we aim to put you right into the action! Additional funding will let the team realize this, with enhanced mission design and more resources and animations to enhance fidelity.

XaeonBE

$29 million stretch goal:

• Enhanced Mission Design for Squadron 42 – The team at Foundry 42 has big plans for Squadron 42, and we’re going to provide extra funding to make it a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander! Squadron 42 can go above and beyond anything you’ve seen before. From opening with an epic battle instead of a training patrol to missions that seamlessly combine boarding and space combat, we aim to put you right into the action! Additional funding will let the team realize this, with enhanced mission design and more resources and animations to enhance fidelity.

You know I like this because it gives more offline gameplay.

CTLance

Unf. Those youtube vids. Deary me, must resist.

The 26th will be deadly, I just know I'll splurge on stupid stuff that I'll later regret.

The new stretchgoal is awesome. Better singleplayer campaign is always appreciated.

MrBig

I'm not sure what's going on with that. In the original narrative you were to choose whether you wanted to sign up for the UEE military or go off on your own, that you would work your way up, through training (in some appropriately cut down form) to the real dogfighting/ops. Does this mean they're forgoing the sim aspect and having the player plunge in to it like with CoD/cinematic games? It's a very vague statement, and I don't appreciate it being a stretch goal, since it revolves around mission design and such which should already be paid for.

I don't care about Sq42 nearly as much as I do the PU, but I certainly do want to be able to enjoy it when I do choose to play it, and I'm certainly not looking for showey "make you feel amazing" campaigns that most FP single player games have become.

Zabojnik

I'm not sure what's going on with that. In the original narrative you were to choose whether you wanted to sign up for the UEE military or go off on your own, that you would work your way up, through training (in some appropriately cut down form) to the real dogfighting/ops. Does this mean they're forgoing the sim aspect and having the player plunge in to it like with CoD/cinematic games? It's a very vague statement, and I don't appreciate it being a stretch goal, since it revolves around mission design and such which should already be paid for.

I don't care about Sq42 nearly as much as I do the PU, but I certainly do want to be able to enjoy it when I do choose to play it, and I'm certainly not looking for showey "make you feel amazing" campaigns that most FP single player games have become.

Well, I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure that narrative will still be there. I don't see how starting the campaign with a big battle would change that dramatically. Maybe you join the military, find yourself in the middle of a surprise Vanduul attack, which sets the tone for the game and shows it off in the best possible way, and only then start your training. From what's been said on WH in regards to Squadron 42, they certainly want to go big & spectacular. The Wing Commander way, as promised. That's what CR's games have always been about. Nothing wrong with that, as far as I'm concerned. Hell, that's exactly what I want, as long as the gameplay stays on the 'simulation' side of things. Which it likely will, since it's not like the campaign will feature a different set of physics rules, dumbed down ship systems or anything like that.

MrBig

Well, I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure that narrative will still be there.

I'm guessing as well, it's just such an exceedingly vague thing that there is nothing else to do. What is "enhanced" about the mission design? Changing something entirely is changing something entirely, not refining it or enhancing it. Why is what's basically a fireworks show worth a million dollars?

I know the stretch goals are just carrots on a stick but it just feels like they ran out of things to lead people on with here and scrambled to write something up

epmode

Almost all of the stretch goals since the campaign ended are for things that were going to happen regardless. This is throwing a bone to the single player types since they've been largely neglected with all of the persistent universe talk.

Daedardus

I'm guessing as well, it's just such an exceedingly vague thing that there is nothing else to do. What is "enhanced" about the mission design? Changing something entirely is changing something entirely, not refining it or enhancing it. Why is what's basically a fireworks show worth a million dollars?

Why did we pledge three times one million dollars for three ships when they themselves said it costs between 50,000-150,000 for one ship to be made?

Zabojnik

I've stopped taking these stretch goals seriously a long time ago. All I know (well, imagine) is there's no way this game is going to cost less than 40-50M$ by the time it comes out. As long as I feel they're putting our money to good use, I don't really care. I've never paid as much as I did for Star Citizen for any other game, but I've also never had so much fun following the development and engaging with the devs / community.

Keasar

Another EVE Online expansion, another trailer trying to hype me for something I know EVE isn't and really, really, really hope Star Citizen becomes. Gonna watch that Anvil commercial a few more times.

epmode

EVE is so goddamned stylish. It kills me that the game makes me want to die a little.

Here's hoping Valkyrie is released for PC eventually.

Karak

I haven't been back in awhile and don't remember the answer to this. Are all the ships available in game at some point or for some amazing amount of money? Or are some JUST by using real money to get?

Daedardus

I haven't been back in awhile and don't remember the answer to this. Are all the ships available in game at some point or for some amazing amount of money? Or are some JUST by using real money to get?

Yes, you can get them all in-game by playing :). Not sure how many times this needs repeating.

Karak

Yes, you can get them all in-game by playing :). Not sure how many times this needs repeating.

Probably more times as the prices for some items and so forth keep bringing it into question and I keep saying that you can get them...then I rethink it when someone questioned me. So I figured I would ask.

KKRT00

Another EVE Online expansion, another trailer trying to hype me for something I know EVE isn't and really, really, really hope Star Citizen becomes. Gonna watch that Anvil commercial a few more times.

o_0
CCP makes the best trailers period. This could be full movie and i would go to cinema to watch it. So good.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
Schdeule
Monday, November 18 – ORIGIN M50
Tuesday, November 19 – ORIGIN 350R & Lightspeed Package
Wednesday, November 20 – Drake Caterpillar
Thursday, November 21 – RSI Aurora LX
Friday, November 22 – Anvil Gladiator & Aegis Retaliator (running through the weekend)
Monday, November 25 – MISC Starfarer

Keypoints
- all these ships will have LTI for everyone
- only OBs get the original prices, everyone else will have to pay more money for the same ships
- 4hour live event on the 26 where they will introduce a group of ships
- Super hornet is not available since it was available recently

epmode

hey guys, anyone know whats in the "lightspeed" package?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13068-The-300-Series-Revealed

Lightspeed Package ($120)
Do you have a need for speed? Pick up the Lightspeed package, which includes everything from the Digital Bounty Hunter but replaces the base ORIGIN 300i model with a limited edition ORIGIN 350r racer. This package also includes an exclusive racing suit to match the fighter!

Digital Bounty Hunter Package ($65)
The Digital Bounty Hunter package includes Star Citizen and Squadron 42 plus an ORIGIN 300i spacecraft and 2,000 credits to start with. Package includes exclusive access to the Alpha and Beta, a digital game soundtrack, map of the universe and 42-page manual. For new backers, this is your last chance to purchase a Bounty Hunter package with LTI!

Mindlog

I see a lot of complaining, but I'm happy that the last day will have LTI for newcomers as well. It's a much better alternative than trying to convert 20 packages in one day.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
do you guys know if there will be any limited quantity ships to be sold during the sales?

the post doesn't suggest there are any limited number of ships per 24-hour sale, but just wanna check with you guys.

Zabojnik

do you guys know if there will be any limited quantity ships to be sold during the sales?

the post doesn't suggest there are any limited number of ships per 24-hour sale, but just wanna check with you guys.

"We will also unveil the first details on the next assortment of ships, as we did at the first livestream! Like the original group, these ships will be offered for sale on special occasions… including some which will be purchasable for the first time on the 26th! There will also be a limited number of LTI Idris-P corvettes available for sale to all users, offered in four allotments throughout the day to allow Citizens around the world a chance at purchasing these rare ships."

Other than that ... no.

Daedardus

I'm actually more interested in the new ship unveilings then buying those limited ships. I'm curious for a new Origin ship. I also like the fact that the Freelancer will get three additional variants (exploration yay) and I hope when they unveill them it also comes with a slightly updated hull, kinda like they did with the Hornet. It's sad that it won't be part of the livestream though. But 890 Jump here I come!

phoenixyz

Damn The Roberts. I didn't want to sink any more money into the game and now this sale. I am seriously thinking about upgrading my 325a (Arbiter Package) to the 350r on tuesday. How much more expensive would that be? :/

And also, a friend wants to jump on the bandwagon before LTI ends. How exactly would that work if I want to gift him the package he wants?

epmode

I'm actually more interested in the new ship unveilings then buying those limited ships. I'm curious for a new Origin ship.

I'm pretty sure that they're going to be offering the two new alien ships and maybe that new starter ship from Consolidated Outland.

Daedardus

I'm pretty sure that they're going to be offering the two new alien ships and maybe that new starter ship from Consolidated Outland.

We haven't hit the stretch goal for the last one remember :)

And I hope they reveal more than three ships tbh. Five or six would be pretty great.

CTLance

M50... or Starfarer? Or both? And what about the Freelancer packs? Augh. The Roberts is too benevolent, my moneywell runneth dry!
Damn The Roberts. I didn't want to sink any more money into the game and now this sale. I am seriously thinking about upgrading my 325a (Arbiter Package) to the 350r on tuesday. How much more expensive would that be? :/

And also, a friend wants to jump on the bandwagon before LTI ends. How exactly would that work if I want to gift him the package he wants?
I'm an Original Backer, so my prices may differ, but when I bought my Lightspeed package, it cost me 120 bucks. Dunno how much you paid for your Arbiter pack.

About gifting: Right now, you go into "My Hangar", then ferret out whatever you want to give. Click the triangle besides it so it shows the details. Right then and there is a "Reclaim" and a "Gift" button. Clicking it brings up this:
Fill it out, and your friend will get a mail detailing how to claim his prize.

Top Bottom