• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Daedardus

This sounds like a good idea :)

Now to decide which ship I want...I missed the original LTI deadline because I couldn't decide on a ship and didn't know there was a deadline for LTI :(

What kind of needs do you have? And how big's your wallet. Remember that you can earn every ship in-game without having too play too many hours.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You should try and find the gameplay video where the player starts in the command room of one of the massive frigates, runs through the ship down onto the kilometre-long launch pad, gets into a smaller fighter ship, launches off the runway and flies out into space and up to where you can see the command room where he started, from space. All seamlessly, and that was one of the first things they ever showed of the game, more than a year ago.

Yeah and then what happens I fly my ship at full speed and crash it into the launch pad while people and other ships are there? What if 10 of us do it?

That's not considering how immensely powerful your PC would have to be to process all this. But just from a production stand point, it doesn't make sense, they won't be able to do it. You can't make such a big detailed MMO seamless.

Mindlog

The Idris looks fantastic and it's great to hear that they're doing another starter ship. Needed more entry level ships.
This sounds like a good idea :)

Now to decide which ship I want...I missed the original LTI deadline because I couldn't decide on a ship and didn't know there was a deadline for LTI :(
There are the prices for Original Backer Packages.

Dollars
Euros.

Last chance for the Super Hornet is today or tomorrow.

Daedardus

Yeah and then what happens I fly my ship at full speed and crash it into the launch pad while people and other ships are there? What if 10 of us do it?

That's not considering how immensely powerful your PC would have to be to process all this. But just from a production stand point, it doesn't make sense, they won't be able to do it. You can't make such a big detailed MMO seamless.

Well, some things will be automated for you. For example, going up into space sees you readying your ship, opening the hangar and taking off in a cutscene like manner. Landing will also be done on autopilot. If that counts as 'seamless' I don't know, but it sure is different from having to 'log out' of your ship, and immediately warp to the ground, etc...

epmode

I think discussion about what is or isn't possible in the space sim portion of the game is very premature. I'd wait until we get a good look at the ship combat and EVA implementation.

XaeonBE

I still don't understand the ships that need multiple pilots... What if I decide to pay for a ship with my friend and we split the costs. What will happen the guy who buys this ship itself will get it in his hanger I understand that. But will I be able to access it if he is offline or something?

Mindlog

Can original backers get the specter or Advanced hunter packages with LTI? Or is it limited to the list you posted?
I believe the prices are the same. Advanced Hunter is $75.
Hornets.
The basic Digital Hornet Package is $110 for OBs.
I still don't understand the ships that need multiple pilots... What if I decide to pay for a ship with my friend and we split the costs. What will happen the guy who buys this ship itself will get it in his hanger I understand that. But will I be able to access it if he is offline or something?
There will be guild hangars so theoretically you could share the ship as long as it's returned to the hangar. You will both still need a basic game package of course.

epmode

Ownership of a ship cannot be split among characters. Other people can jump into your ship as you're flying it and I believe there's going to be some kind of lending feature but there are no details at the moment.

You'll be able to transfer full ownership of a ship to another player but an in-game fee will be required.

Everyone dies and whoever owns that big ship will be very very mad at you and likely put a bounty on your head if you run away before they can kill you if you somehow survived. Why can't that be seamless? It's certainly not impossible to program if that's your concern. Seriously if you haven't watched the old announcement videos yet, just start here. Yes he does teleport to the hangar but that is presumably just because the Bengal's interior wasn't done then (and probably isn't done now either since it's so massive). It's actually really cool for me to go back to such an old video and see just how improved everything looks now.

And yes, your PC will have to be powerful, that much has been repeatedly said since the game was announced. It's being built not for today's PC but the PCs of 2015 when it actually comes out.

Zabojnik

You do realize that this isn't going to be a 'classic' MMO, but a heavily instanced one, right? There will only ever be a limited number of visible (to you) players/ships in one instance. The number will be decided during alpha, but think 64-128 players max. Maybe less, we don't know. Your example is kind of a strange one. There are a lot of action multiplayer games that have players control more than ten vehicles at any given time, so I really don't see the problem. Also keep in mind that this is a space-sim. Space is big, but it's also very empty. Which is why space-sims often have (well, had) spectacular visuals, as you really only have to render objects, not the world itself.

Ithil

The amount of money this has raised is simply insane. It's not even due out in full for another year, it seems like it will be at 40 million by then.

An AAA type game entirely crowd funded is crazy to think of.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
Mustang guys... Mustang!

I'm ecstatic that they are finally releasing ships around the same price range now. before they've tiered every single ship at different ranges, which would make the game pretty boring.

My hope is to actually see hundreds of ships at launch like Pokemon's 150 and 3 starters and have parallel tiered ships with different looks and emphasize. its weird to think there's only a hand full of companies who make spaceships, i would say several dozen would make sense. Have another company make a ship that fills the same exact roles as the aurora but made by another company and look different like Honda's Civic and Toyota's Corolla. I know that might be asking a lot but that's really my hope for SC.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
so it isn't that stupid to buy ships with friends and split the costs?

If you guys really want it bad enough at launch and they are a really good friend.

but other than that might as well just buy the ship in game with in game credits and build a fleet that way.

XaeonBE

If you guys really want it bad enough at launch and they are a really good friend.

but other than that might as well just buy the ship in game with in game credits and build a fleet that way.

Well I think we better wait and earn the ships ingame... sounds easy enough :p

So guys, just got this email which apparently was sent out to everyone on a waiting list:

WaitlistClosed.png

All waiting lists are being shut down and a sale will be held on the 25th for all limited ships EXCEPT the Scythe, Idris-M, and Idris-P. However, the Idris-P will have its own limited quantity sale on the 26th which I expect to sell out in seconds, so keep an eye out for that schedule they send out and clear your own schedule if you hope to get one. Otherwise, the 25th will be the last chance to buy limited ships with LTI legitimately. Expect graymarket prices to SOAR afterwards...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Is there anything special happening on the 25th/26th or why that date? Special announcement?

XEROWUN

Neo Member
hey guys, do know how a NB like me can do this? since its right before the 27th and buying a package and gifting to a ob/vb wont work since they need 24 hours to melt and rebuy them with LTI. this makes it hard for me to take advantage of the sale.

only way i can think of is prebuy packs that equal the cost, but we wont know the prices until then, so its all a gamble.

MrBig

I'm sure CR is surprised and disappointed that LTI and the OB pricing caused such hassle. At least it pays the bills, but they should have cut off all LTI offers after the KS campaign or not have offered it at all.

I don't usually like fps, don't drool over sci fi but don't mind it. Love resource whoring and upgrading my shit in persistent worlds. Need something to muck around in and enjoy when not putting time in lab with a fighting game. I'm old(er) but want something I can enjoy in my free time, put down for a bit then pick back up and not worry about getting raped. Love supporting "indie" devs.

Convince me to pledge 30 towards this game by the time I get back with a wendy's chilli and jr. bacon cheeseburger.

Zabojnik

I don't usually like fps, don't drool over sci fi but don't mind it. Love resource whoring and upgrading my shit in persistent worlds. Need something to muck around in and enjoy when not putting time in lab with a fighting game. I'm old(er) but want something I can enjoy in my free time, put down for a bit then pick back up and not worry about getting raped. Love supporting "indie" devs.

Convince me to pledge 30 towards this game by the time I get back with a wendy's chilli and jr. bacon cheeseburger.

You could be sitting there, exploring uncharted space, looking at the wonders of the universe. Do it.

MrBig

Read both posts of the OP if your interested, but I'd check back this time next year. CIG isn't really in need of more funding and a lot of the game really isn't nailed down yet, so if you're not clamoring to get in on the ground floor (for which casual play isn't practical) it'd be best to wait it out.

XEROWUN

Neo Member

its silly to ask people to convince you to shell out 30 bucks for a game that will come out in 2 years.

all the information and convincing is on the front page.

if your not sure after reading the front page, then just wait for when it comes out.

I'm such a slut for wendy's.

Well, what can I say, I'm feeling kinda silly. Seriously though, was tongue and cheek, but I am looking into basically Star Citizen, Starforge - which I've pledged to already - or Destiny as my "long term" immerseive experience. I'm to old to jump around and need to dedicate myself to a few games, lol. I was at a tourney for Extra Life the other day and a buddy started talking about Star Citizen and it perked my interest. Reading the OP does similar. Anywho, just trying to get as much feedback without having to read ALL 37 pages.

Thanks for the input peeps, I'll probably jump in on this at some point soon.

Mindlog

hey guys, do know how a NB like me can do this? since its right before the 27th and buying a package and gifting to a ob/vb wont work since they need 24 hours to melt and rebuy them with LTI. this makes it hard for me to take advantage of the sale.

only way i can think of is prebuy packs that equal the cost, but we wont know the prices until then, so its all a gamble.
We have the prices of everything released so far. They probably won't raise prices during their last big sale.

Packages
Ships.

I haven't given a thorough eyeball to those listed prices, but they should be close.

This game is so incredibly ambitious, that I cannot help but be overcome with incredible expectations and a pending sense of dread that the game will never live up to those promises.
'
Still can't wait to see what comes of this.

With titles like this and X:Rebirth, I am wondering if we are finally seeing a comeback for Space Combat sims.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
This game is so incredibly ambitious, that I cannot help but be overcome with incredible expectations and a pending sense of dread that the game will never live up to those promises.
'
Still can't wait to see what comes of this.

With titles like this and X:Rebirth, I am wondering if we are finally seeing a comeback for Space Combat sims.

you have to BELIEVE

XEROWUN

Neo Member
We have the prices of everything released so far. They probably won't raise prices during their last big sale.

Packages
Ships.

I haven't given a thorough eyeball to those listed prices, but they should be close.

i dont trust that list. it says the 325a is 65 and the 315p is 60, but they are 70 and 65 respectively on my side. also since the prices are different depending on the VB and OB its hard to know what packs i should by for fear that i bought too much or too little

Mindlog

That's the Microsoft Cloud at work -_-

Try this one. I know there is an accurate one somewhere. That one passes the taste test. That spreadsheet is under the care of an active mod.

Daedardus

I hope they do bigger exploration vessels. The Freelancer will likely get a dedicated exploration option, but I need something bigger. Not even sure if the constellation is fit for exploring.

MrBig

I hope they do bigger exploration vessels. The Freelancer will likely get a dedicated exploration option, but I need something bigger. Not even sure if the constellation is fit for exploring.
Why would bigger be better for exploring? I would think you'd want something small and nimble, fuel efficient and capable of collecting and storing hydrogen for fuel. Bigger ships could just be more unweildy, bigger targets, and a bigger hassle to work on.

Daedardus

Why would bigger be better for exploring? I would think you'd want something small and nimble, fuel efficient and capable of collecting and storing hydrogen for fuel. Bigger ships could just be more unweildy, bigger targets, and a bigger hassle to work on.

Space: The final frontier
These are the voyages of the Starship, Daedardus
Its 5 year mission
To explore strange new worlds
To seek out new life and new civilizations
To boldly go where no man has gone before

I actually want something that could fit really big engines and a decent fusion power plant, coupled with a good jump drive.

MrBig

Something in between an Idris and a Freelancer (like the Caterpillar perhaps?) may be great, sure, but most Federation ships wouldn't really be appropriate, certainly not enterprise or galaxy class ships at least. Big ships means more crew and resources and UEC and more effort to do anything, so not really appropriate for pure exploration.

The constellation can definitely be outfitted for exploration.

Equip it with sensors fit for exploration so you can find jump points and other goodies, etc.
Load up the cargo bay with extra fuel and ammo in case you run into pirates or other nasty surprises out in space.
Between the Connie and the snub fighter you have a pretty good defense against most ships who would try to pirate you out in deep space.

I have the connie and it seems like it's going to be an incredibly versatile ship.

The constellation can definitely be outfitted for exploration.

Equip it with sensors fit for exploration so you can find jump points and other goodies, etc.
Load up the cargo bay with extra fuel and ammo in case you run into pirates or other nasty surprises out in space.
Between the Connie and the snub fighter you have a pretty good defense against most ships who would try to pirate you out in deep space.

I have the connie and it seems like it's going to be an incredibly versatile ship.

Massive heat signature though, so it'll likely be announcing your presence to everyone nearby - could be a target for some unsavoury types / lead other people to something you want to salvage or explore by yourself. I hope we hear some more about the scanning mechanics soon...

Daedardus

Something in between an Idris and a Freelancer (like the Caterpillar perhaps?) may be great, sure, but most Federation ships wouldn't really be appropriate, certainly not enterprise or galaxy class ships at least. Big ships means more crew and resources and UEC and more effort to do anything, so not really appropriate for pure exploration.

Oh well, maybe not that big, but something with a 70m length sounds good enough to me. A crew of four and a small probe you can fly around would be nice.

Daedardus

Double post, but after today I think it'd be really cool to have Star Citizen have random price errors for ships/part.

Can you imagine everyone rushing for a cheap Constellation, blowing each other to pieces along the way because stocks are limited only to find out the UEE is on their heels when they got it and flew away with it?

Never going to happen though

Zabojnik

So now that we know SC will support Mantle for sure, is this likely to influence what your next graphics card is going to be? Provided the boost in performance is substantial, of course.

So now that we know SC will support Mantle for sure, is this likely to influence what your next graphics card is going to be? Provided the boost in performance is substantial, of course.

Even if mantle performs really well... I would be a much greater fan of immersion adding stuff then a smaller CPU overhead. For that reason I will probably go Nvidia for its downsampling, PhysX suport (star citizen for example), and because Maxwell will probably be ridiculously powerful.

one of them

Neo Member
Yes.

If by the time I'm looking for a new GPU while Mantle is up and running and there's a card equivalent to that new AMD card in terms of price and performance then I almost certainly will be switching away from Nvidia.

I'm not sure if Mantle will last though. It seems to me like the best alternative to DirectX is something that isn't restricted to a certain brand of card.

JoseJX

Yes.

If by the time I'm looking for a new GPU while Mantle is up and running and there's a card equivalent to that new AMD card in terms of price and performance then I almost certainly will be switching away from Nvidia.

I'm not sure if Mantle will last though. It seems to me like the best alternative to DirectX is something that isn't restricted to a certain brand of card.

To be honest, I'm surprised that they're working at this low of a level in the engine. Previous requests for OpenGL support to support Mac/Linux were basically directed towards Crytek and I'd expect Mantle support to require a similar effort.

In any case, I'm not convinced Mantle isn't another GLIDE or that the things Mantle does well can't be done with OpenGL extensions. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm not optimistic it's the revolution in performance that it's being sold as.

Top Bottom