• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
They should really allow some sort of bidding on those Idris-P that are going up soon. People are willing to pay more for them, it's just a matter of whether that's going to scalpers or CIG.

Haven't tried that myself. What scene configuration are you using?

Webcam unticked, Window Capture, Inner Window, haven't done anything with the colour options. It recognises the Star Citizen Launcher, but gives me blackscreen, and doesn't recognise the game client at all.

Not really important since I was only doing it to test my streaming setup, but I can;t get it OBS to let me capture Batman:AO or Mark of the Ninja either :(

I've given up explaining shit to people. It's no use.

This thread is my main bastion as a SC-community/news source. Other places are too frustrating.

You had the best response to the PS4 outrage; I kinda wanted to copy it to a few different sites that were full of bitching.

CTLance

I'm tempted by the M50. So tempted. Zooooooommmmmmm~

Self-flagellation aside, I might melt my cute little Gladiator and get a Starfarer instead. Ups the pledge by a meager 25 bucks or so, and well, a Starfarer is in another league entirely. Fits my playstyle quite a bit better, too.

Sigh. Death by a thousand papercuts. I just know I won't be able to withstand the "meager" upgrade cost for the Freelancer upgrades.

JoseJX

If anyone is wondering the M50 is $80 for original backers. I'd gladly help anyone get one at that price, send me a PM.

I wish we had more information about the Freelancer upgrades, I'm not sure yet if I want one of the limited ships or the upgrade.

phoenixyz

Guys guys, can you apply the upgrades to game packages or only to single ships? To be more precise, can I buy the Bounty Hunter package and then apply the 325a upgrade to it (60$+15$ compared to the 80$ for the Arbiter package which contains the 325a)?

edit: and of course, keep the LTI.

Yes, I believe so--that's a perk of having access to the original packages. You'd keep the LTI of whatever the package is.

I have a Digital Colonel, and picked up the Super Hornet upgrade. While I miss out on the special pistol from the Weekend Warrior Package, I save 20 bucks.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
Yes, I believe so--that's a perk of having access to the original packages. You'd keep the LTI of whatever the package is.

I have a Digital Colonel, and picked up the Super Hornet upgrade. While I miss out on the special pistol from the Weekend Warrior Package, I save 20 bucks.

makes it all the more rewarding to get that pistol in game

Mudcrab

Chris Roberts posts about Star Citizen and consoles:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/76653/star-citizen-pc-ps4-and-consoles

Chris Roberts said:
Star Citizen IS a PC game. It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator. We will NOT pass on features and technology just because they will only run on some hardware configurations.

As far as consoles go Star Citizen will never be on the PS3 or Xbox 360. As for the next gen consoles, PS4 and Xbox One, we have NO CURRENT PLANS, but my stance remains open and is consistent with the many interviews I’ve given -

IF the platform holders (Sony & Microsoft) allow us to update the code and data without restrictions and odious time consuming QC procedures, IF they allow our community to openly interact with each other across platforms then I would CONSIDER supporting them. And even then it would only be contemplated as a port from the PC, not the other way around plus we would require a financial commitment by Sony to make it happen.

epmode

wow that quote is very extremist, phrases like " dumbed down for a lesser platform" sounds very antagonistic.

And yet it absolutely happens. All the time, in fact. The code word is usually "streamlined" or something about accessibility.

Would you prefer that he uses a different word to describe it? I don't see why he'd be worried about offending fans of dull, defanged games.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
And yet it absolutely happens. All the time, in fact. The code word is usually "streamlined" or something about accessibility.

Would you prefer that he uses a different word to describe it? I don't see why he'd be worried about offending fans of dull, defanged games.

nope your right. its nice to see CR use such passionate rhetoric. that's what makes us believe in him. but its funny, using that kind of language any where else or in any other context would sound scary.

CTLance

I have no problem with the wording. It's blunt, yes, but it's the truth. Nothing bad about it. Also, I have no problem with a post-release console port.
I would have had a problem if The Roberts had pulled a bait-and-switch on His backers. Which he did not. So all is well.

Now, back to the really important biznach.

Starfarer or Gladiator.

Gladiator is even smaller than the Hornet. You could probably make a cute little dogfighter out of it (putting aside the awesome capship explodification capabilities). ... If you fly on a straight line, that is. Same amount of thrusters, but weighs so much more than the Hornet, gonna be pretty shitty to accelerate and steer. Although, with eight upgrade slots and a nice smattering of weapon slots it ought to be quite a ferocious little beastie.

Starfarer is awesome for ferrying stuff. BIG stuff. And sucking up fuel from gas giants, which is basically free money. Fleets will love you and probably want to protect you. Your meager weapons loadout means they pretty much have to, though. No clue how awesome the Class 7 shields will end up as, though. Maybe you can just sit there and take it. Also: It's farking massive. Thing is the size of a small moon. OK, not quite Idris sized, but ... you know. Idris's are just waaay out there. In all regards.

Decisions, decisions.

epmode

Don't pay any attention to the stats page since it's wildly inaccurate/subject to rebalancing in the dogfighting alpha and final game. Just look at the pictures and read the little blurb to see if that's the kind of role you'd be interested in.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
I have no problem with the wording. It's blunt, yes, but it's the truth. Nothing bad about it. Also, I have no problem with a post-release console port.
I would have had a problem if The Roberts had pulled a bait-and-switch on His backers. Which he did not. So all is well.

Now, back to the really important biznach.

Starfarer or Gladiator.

Gladiator is even smaller than the Hornet. You could probably make a cute little dogfighter out of it (putting aside the awesome capship explodification capabilities). ... If you fly on a straight line, that is. Same amount of thrusters, but weighs so much more than the Hornet, gonna be pretty shitty to accelerate and steer. Although, with eight upgrade slots and a nice smattering of weapon slots it ought to be quite a ferocious little beastie.

Starfarer is awesome for ferrying stuff. BIG stuff. And sucking up fuel from gas giants, which is basically free money. Fleets will love you and probably want to protect you. Your meager weapons loadout means they pretty much have to, though. No clue how awesome the Class 7 shields will end up as, though. Maybe you can just sit there and take it. Also: It's farking massive. Thing is the size of a small moon. OK, not quite Idris sized, but ... you know. Idris's are just waaay out there. In all regards.

Decisions, decisions.

my friend and i discussed in great length on our priorities and objectives when its comes to buying ships pre-release.

My personal conclusion is to get a ship that looks sexy first and being useful second. so FORM >>>> FUNCTION.

I'd choose the gladiator over the starfarer, just because i like the look of it more

Zabojnik

chinese-train-time-travel-315x223.jpg

No stopping it.

Dead Man

Guys guys, can you apply the upgrades to game packages or only to single ships? To be more precise, can I buy the Bounty Hunter package and then apply the 325a upgrade to it (60$+15$ compared to the 80$ for the Arbiter package which contains the 325a)?

edit: and of course, keep the LTI.

Wait, I can melt my arbiter package and buy the bounty hunter and upgrade and have $5 left over?

XaeonBE

Yay 28M!

But with the upcomming Dog Fighting Module I would like to purchase a joystick do you guys have any suggestions on this because I don't want to buy a piece of crap... Also my budget for this would be arround 100.00 EUR (or up to 150.00 EUR if its something good.)

Zabojnik

Yay 28M!

But with the upcomming Dog Fighting Module I would like to purchase a joystick do you guys have any suggestions on this because I don't want to buy a piece of crap... Also my budget for this would be arround 100.00 EUR (or up to 150.00 EUR if its something good.)

Mandatory Saitek X52 Pro recommendation. See if you can get one, seems to be sold out in a lot of places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6cSTldjlE8

EDIT: Actually, you should wait another month or so. Saitek has teased the new X55, which could be a substantial update on the X52 Pro ... or just something they made to cash in on the SC sales. A new batch of X52 Pros is expected in December as well.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I am really close to pledging for this. Does anyone know if I can wait until the dogfighting module is out to pledge and still be able to have access to it?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
wow that quote is very extremist, phrases like " dumbed down for a lesser platform" sounds very antagonistic.

Pretty sure he was addressing people who are worried about CIG pulling a Diablo III here.

XaeonBE

Mandatory Saitek X52 Pro recommendation. See if you can get one, seems to be sold out in a lot of places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6cSTldjlE8

EDIT: Actually, you should wait another month or so. Saitek has teased the new X55, which could be a substantial update on the X52 Pro ... or just something they made to cash in on the SC sales. A new batch of X52 Pros is expected in December as well.

Is a bit out of budget but I'll consider it thanks for the info if you have another suggestion thats a bit cheaper let me know ;)

Kevin

I keep up on this thread and my jaw drops on some of the feature announcements and I just wish I had the money to throw at the screen.

Shut up and take my pennies!
sucks being broke.

Vespene

As big of a space-sim and Wing Commander fan as I am, I've come to regard this game as vaporware until I see a live running demo. When I'm shown a guy controlling a pilot, running through a carrier in space, getting on a fighter cockpit, launching, killing shit in space, going back in and docking back on the hangar bays, run to the bridge to see a captain plot a course to a planet, orbit the planet, board a shuttle and land on the commercial plaza, buy and sell stocks and loot... THEN I'll believe Roberts.

Getting all that to work well is VERY hard, specially for a guy who hasn't made a game in 10 years. We'll see.

"As big of a space-sim and Wing Commander fan as I am, I've come to regard this game as vaporware until I see a live running demo. When I'm shown a guy controlling a pilot, running through a carrier in space, getting on a fighter cockpit, launching, killing shit in space, going back in and docking back on the hangar bays, run to the bridge to see a captain plot a course to a planet, orbit the planet, board a shuttle and land on the commercial plaza, buy and sell stocks and loot... THEN I'll believe Roberts."

So come back in 2 years when the game is finished?

Zabojnik

link?

As I read more and more about it I can't help but think that this is just not possible lol

Star Citizen GDC 2012 Announcement

Is a bit out of budget but I'll consider it thanks for the info if you have another suggestion thats a bit cheaper let me know ;)

Check out the X52 non-Pro version. It's cheaper and a solid enough HOTAS. Or even better - head over the to SC forums and read through the following thread. Ultimate list of fan-recommended joysticks and HOTAS.

Tommyhawk

XEROWUN

Neo Member
As big of a space-sim and Wing Commander fan as I am, I've come to regard this game as vaporware until I see a live running demo. When I'm shown a guy controlling a pilot, running through a carrier in space, getting on a fighter cockpit, launching, killing shit in space, going back in and docking back on the hangar bays, run to the bridge to see a captain plot a course to a planet, orbit the planet, board a shuttle and land on the commercial plaza, buy and sell stocks and loot... THEN I'll believe Roberts.

Getting all that to work well is VERY hard, specially for a guy who hasn't made a game in 10 years. We'll see.

Sure, that's your prerogative. Just wanted to to point out that if you were to pledge, today is the best day to do so. They are selling a pledge package with lifetime insurance for 135 bucks to everyone. After today and especially after the 26th, might as well just buy the game on release for 60 bucks with no special ships. Right now, for 40 bucks you can get alpha and beta access.

Top Bottom