• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Zabojnik

I have the Hornet and the Avenger, might get the M50, as I plan to do quite a bit of racing, provided they make it interesting.

Daedardus

I have the Hornet and the Avenger, might get the M50, as I plan to do quite a bit of racing, provided they make it interesting.

What's the point of racing in space? There's no friction, no drag, no tight corners,... that makes things interesting. The only thing I can think of are 'fly through all these hoops', which I find rather lame.

Zabojnik

What's the point of racing in space? There's no friction, no drag, no tight corners,... that makes things interesting. The only thing I can think of are 'fly through all these hoops', which I find rather lame.

Well, Star Citizen will feature (more or less) accurate newtonian physics, so manoeuvring a twitchy space ship through a series of hoops might not be as easy as you may think, provided the hoops aren't a few kilometers apart. They could add asteroids or any other obstacles to the courses, force you to fly with some of the safety systems disabled, etc.

Daedardus

Well, Star Citizen will feature (more or less) accurate newtonian physics, so manoeuvring a twitchy space ship through a series of hoops might not be as easy as you may think, provided the hoops aren't a few kilometers apart. They could add asteroids or any other obstacles to the courses, force you to fly with some of the safety systems disabled, etc.

Yeah but that would be Superman 64 all over.

Zabojnik

Yeah but that would be Superman 64 all over.

I'm sure the right balance can be struck. They seem to think so too, otherwise they probably wouldn't have emphasized racing so much. Be it with dedicated ship variants, the whole Murray Cup thing, the short stories ... It's one of those 'game inside the game' things that could turn out really great, if done right.

Majukun

I don't have a problem with purchasing ships now as a way to finance the game. I do have a problem with the purchase of ships after the game is release and in a competitive environment.

That would not only allow people to directly purchase power, but would also damage the economy they produced.

Giving the player the option to purchase a limited amount of credits each month is not a big deal. Just simulates inflation.
counting the number of ships already purchased with real money..the "economy" is already screwed..some people have already an immense adanage against people who will just buy the game at release.

Daedardus

counting the number of ships already purchased with real money..the "economy" is already screwed..some people have already an immense adanage against people who will just buy the game at release.

I feel like this thread always dwindles into the same old, tired discussion. A bigger ship does not give you a biger advantage over others. A F1 car won't beat a truck for transport delivery, that drag racing car won't be as nice as a Jeep for a trip through the woods and you don't need a Rolls Royce to get to work everyday. Well, if you're not a billionaire at least.

XEROWUN

Neo Member

at the very least you can use a racing ship to fly really really fast

LWDjRF.png
That's a PS4 devkit. Shit storm on their forums as we speak.

MrBig

As long as it doesn't compromise the PC game I see no issue with SC being on consoles. And by that I mean CIG doesn't confine anything to console parameters and hires a studio to do all the console downscaling work for them, as in the Minecraft console versions, effectively making them separate games.

Zabojnik

Holy shit, that's gonna get really ugly. Why would they think the viewers wouldn't recognize that box? Stoopid.

It's not like it was planned ...

Wingman said:
You know what is funny, when we get this uproar over nothing like Jason's right monitor stand - it honestly makes you think twice about doing walk around the office segments.

We want to show more stuff, but the panic is strong at times....

:)

WM

Wingman said:
Rob has had a 3DO on his desk for months so I am sure we are futher along on that port, and I have a Gizmondo on mine - the graphics are not quite the same there.

Come on folks...really?

Jason is our CTO - his job is to resarch technologies - and that is currently his right monitor stand. Everyone sends us tech to review and that is his job - nothing more to it than that.

WM

Daedardus

As long as it doesn't compromise the PC game I see no issue with SC being on consoles. And by that I mean CIG doesn't confine anything to console parameters and hires a studio to do all the console downscaling work for them, as in the Minecraft console versions, effectively making them separate games.

Exactly my thoughts.

Blizzard

Banned
You know what is funny, when we get this uproar over nothing like Jason's right monitor stand - it honestly makes you think twice about doing walk around the office segments.
The thing is, I don't know what Sony's NDA is like, but there may literally be rules that you cannot take pictures in any of the hardware in any form. So fans may be shocked by the PS4 stuff, but who knows if it causes waves with Sony or not. :p

I understand that people would get upset if this game was announced for consoles since CR spent most of the KS/CF campaign parroting that this was a PC game.

It would be the biggest betrayal. The fucking KS intro video had the line "I am a PC game" in the first few seconds. If they develop it themselves, they will stat asking themselves questions like "well, PSN doesn't allow that, we need to rethink that feature" or "this management system is too complex for the controller layout, cut it out". Pretty soon, we'll have last gen all over again.

Completely separate dev team, with no CIG involvement, that only starts development 1 year after the game was released on PC and has been maintained/tuned?

Maybe.

Is there any way for people to NOT "put up with" it though? They've already paid their $70 or whatever, unless there is a mechanism in place for a refund. Maybe there is.

I hope so, as far as I know most other kickstarter/crowdfunding campaigns offer refunds for backers so I'm going to assume that CIG also does.

So if they stick to the plan dog fighting should be out next month right?

Not really heard any news on it but boy I hope it is!

Need to fly my smexy ship around

Daedardus

Is there any way for people to NOT "put up with" it though? They've already paid their $70 or whatever, unless there is a mechanism in place for a refund. Maybe there is.

They don't. Read chapter IV: Charges and billing here. Yeah I know, we reads these damn TOS. I do at least :p.

Daedardus

Guess I'm SOL then. Good thing they aren't making this for PS4, right? :(

I don't get why you think the sole fact this could come to PS4 is a bad thing. As long as the development gets split up and the quality of a PC-centric game is still there (open multiplayer, modding, grafx settingz) you have no reason to complain.

The only thing at stake here is the pride of so-called gamers.

I don't get why you think the sole fact this could come to PS4 is a bad thing. As long as the development gets split up and the quality of a PC-centric game is still there (open multiplayer, modding, grafx settingz) you have no reason to complain.

I wouldn't mind a PS4 version if they had said from day one that this could be a multiplatform game and not "hey guys, look at me I'm a PC game! Totally not something else."

CIG does do refunds if you contact support, but don't tell me you're actually going to do that? Read those quotes Zabojnik posted, or these links: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/1313653/#Comment_1313653 and https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/1314586/#Comment_1314586

They're not working on a PS4 version. All that happened is Sony sent them a free devkit and their CTO (Chief Technology Officer) is looking into the hardware as that's his job: to evaluate new technology they're given to see if it can benefit the game. It's highly unlikely it will.

Zabojnik

They are not working on a PS4 version and they probably never will. If they do release something on consoles, it will be well after Star Citizen has shipped and it won't be with the money you pledged for the game. Knowing CIG, they'd at the very least ask the backers if they're down with it.

I wish people would drop this already. It's a fantasy.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I could see a console port being interesting. I figure with all the millions they could afford a really sharp sword to disembowel themselves with honorably.

Zabojnik

First stage: denial.
:p

I wouldn't be opposed to a PS4 version of SC, mind. Maybe they could port just the S42 campaign over or come up with a spin-off of sorts, thus expanding the universe. I'd be down with anything. The more space-sims, the better, regardless of the platform.

It's just not happening. Not for a long while, at least.

phoenixyz

I'm an Original Backer, so my prices may differ, but when I bought my Lightspeed package, it cost me 120 bucks. Dunno how much you paid for your Arbiter pack.
Yea me too. I paid 80 for the Arbiter package. 120 is a pretty steep price for a variant...

About gifting: Right now, you go into "My Hangar", then ferret out whatever you want to give. Click the triangle besides it so it shows the details. Right then and there is a "Reclaim" and a "Gift" button. Clicking it brings up this:

Fill it out, and your friend will get a mail detailing how to claim his prize.
Okay thanks. So he doesn't need to create an account before?

I'll be annoyed if they pull a Terraria and have exclusive content/updates on the consoles first, but other than that, the more the merrier.

Kinyou

Personally I'm really hoping for a console port, but using the currently pledged money for it would be just wrong. (But I doubt that they're doing that.)

Personally I'm really hoping for a console port, but using the currently pledged money for it would be just wrong. (But I doubt that they're doing that.)

Not sure if I would count on it!

But good to see this game makes people from all platofrms excited. Maybe you should look into PC gaming :D

Momentary

Banned
If they work solely on the PC version first without having to limit themselves on archaic console hardware and then change assets later to work on the lower powered machines then that would be just fine.

But I would definitely ask for my money back if they decided to split production up into 2 different teams to have the game released on consoles. If Sony gave them money for a port and production of the game then they sure as hell don't need my money.

Daedardus

I'll be annoyed if they pull a Terraria and have exclusive content/updates on the consoles first, but other than that, the more the merrier.

Terraria is a different situation though. The dev sold the rights for the console ports to a shitty publisher, which used the 'exclusive content' as an incentive to buy that version.

I doubt that CIG would outsource the port to an unknown dev and rather set up a team of their own.

Kinyou

Not sure if I would count on it!

But good to see this game makes people from all platofrms excited. Maybe you should look into PC gaming :D
Yeah, who knows. Maybe by the time the game comes out there'll already be one or two attractively priced steamboxes that could run it.

Majukun

I feel like this thread always dwindles into the same old, tired discussion. A bigger ship does not give you a biger advantage over others. A F1 car won't beat a truck for transport delivery, that drag racing car won't be as nice as a Jeep for a trip through the woods and you don't need a Rolls Royce to get to work everyday. Well, if you're not a billionaire at least.

you are depicting a game without any sense of progression if "it doesn't matter if you have a better ship",what are you supposed to do things in the game for if not to buy better ships/upgrades for the ones you already have?
that not even counting that there are people who already have multiple ship in their hangar,so they have both the f1,the jeep and the drag racing car..maybe even the rolls royce..all with lifetime insurance

MrBig

you are depicting a game without any sense of progression if "it doesn't matter if you have a better ship",what are you supposed to do things in the game for if not to buy better ships/upgrades for the ones you already have?

That's the intention.There is no progression in the traditional game sense. This is sim-like, a simulation of reality. Why do people get different cars in reality? Why do people do anything in reality? They find something interesting and engage in it. If you want a certain thing you work to earn it, that is your personal progression

Does someone complain today when he sees someone driving a Rolls Royce when he gets into his first car, an old used camry of some sorts? Sure, but that doesn't mean that the new guy can't eventually get a rolls royce if he actually wanted one for some reason and worked for it

Daedardus

that not even counting that there are people who already have multiple ship in their hangar,so they have both the f1,the jeep and the drag racing car..maybe even the rolls royce..all with lifetime insurance

There is progression. It's just what you want to do yourself. Want a big ship? Work for it, but know that handling it requires a big crew and quite a lot of flight experience. Want to be an explorer? Fit your small ship with long range engines and custom scanners and fly out. But there's always a trade-off. No one ship is better than all the others, there will be no 'I win' upgrades.

And you can only fly one ship at a time. The fact they would have five Hornets does not give them an advantage over you if all you have is a Retaliator.

epmode

all with lifetime insurance

The only significant benefit of lifetime insurance will be for the Scythe since it cannot be insured otherwise. Only ~500 of them were sold, though. It might also be significant for the Idris since insuring such a large ship may be a significant expense in the final game. These were also sold in limited numbers.

For everything else, the developers are quick to explain that hull insurance will be a minor fee and that you probably shouldn't be spending all of that money just for LTI.

I don't see the point in getting worked up about balance and pay to win bullshit until we see how combat works at the very least.

Majukun

That's the intention.There is no progression in the traditional game sense. This is sim-like, a simulation of reality. Why do people get different cars in reality? Why do people do anything in reality? They find something interesting and engage in it.

people in real life do jobs to get money to buy new things that are better than the ones they already have .

There is progression. It's just what you want to do yourself. Want a big ship? Work for it, but know that handling it requires a big crew and quite a lot of flight experience. Want to be an explorer? Fit your small ship with long range engines and custom scanners and fly out. But there's always a trade-off. No one ship is better than all the others, there will be no 'I win' upgrades.

And you can only fly one ship at a time. The fact they would have five Hornets does not give them an advantage over you if all you have is a Retaliator.

if you want a bigger ship despite the fact that has an higher maintenance cost,it's because it does something that a smaller ship can't do.when i'm talking about progression i'm not talking about a game over or a final boss,i know that in this kinds of games you have to set your goals by yourself,but that some people are already equipped for doing basically any kind of "job" in the game without playing the game even for a minute...if i want to go search for resources,or uncharted planets,who is going to get to them first,me with my initial ship,trying to break even paying both for fuel AND insurance,or the guy who pledged and already has a more suited ship for that kind of job?
who is gonna get more money for improvements for his ship between me and him?
The only significant benefit of lifetime insurance will be for the Scythe since it cannot be insured otherwise. Only ~500 of them were sold, though. It might also be significant for the Idris since insuring such a large ship may be a significant expense in the final game. These were also sold in limited numbers.

For everything else, the developers are quick to explain that hull insurance will be a minor fee and that you probably shouldn't be spending all of that money just for LTI.

I don't see the point in getting worked up about balance and pay to win bullshit until we see how combat works at the very least.

well it's useless to get wporked up when the game is already finished and/or you have already bought the game,it's now or never to think about balance,not when said balance has already been set.

Keric

Do we know if the new ships released on the 26th will have LTI? God I hope not...for my wallet's sake.

Or does LTI expire on the 25th?

Top Bottom